Vannin' Home
Posted By: Ceejus Yet ANOTHER header thread... - June 12th 2021 4:42 am
Getting ready to swap my slant six/auto from my 77 B200 shorty for a 318/aod. Already have the air gap intake, Edelbrock carb and HEI dizzy for the swap. What I'm wondering, is if anyone has tried the Summit, Sanderson, or any other brand of block hugger headers on their LA block mid Dodge. I know that Hedman still makes long tube headers for the van, but I'm really wanting something shorter, to try and avoid a ton of exhaust tubing going back and forth for my side pipes. Here are a couple links for what I'm looking at.

Summit block huggers

Sanderson block huggers
Posted By: Ceejus Re: Yet ANOTHER header thread... - July 12th 2021 11:19 pm
Beuller?.....Beuller?.....Beuller?....
Posted By: Charlie 99909 Re: Yet ANOTHER header thread... - July 12th 2021 11:40 pm
Originally Posted by Ceejus
Beuller?.....Beuller?.....Beuller?....

I don't see why it wouldn't work but is no one has chimed in for a month, we may not have an answer for you.

Are you on Facebook? I know there are several van groups on there with a lot more active members that may give you a better answer or have someone who has tried. Most groups will try and sell you something though instead of answering your questions. Personally, I would try Summit first because of their incredibly generous return policy in the event it doesn't work out.
Posted By: Ceejus Re: Yet ANOTHER header thread... - July 13th 2021 1:32 am
I'm on the mid Dodge group on there, and nobody really has an answer, either. Lol! I know i can go the Hedman route, if i have to, but i'd really like a shorter tube option. May just have to go with the Hedmans anyway. I guess we'll see. Lol!
Posted By: Wedgy Re: Yet ANOTHER header thread... - July 13th 2021 4:42 pm
I wonder if a C.A.R.B. approved exhaust is 50 state legal, when the EPA Regs now say no Mods from stock?
Posted By: vistacruiser Re: Yet ANOTHER header thread... - July 15th 2021 3:50 am
You would think they would work by the design just by looking at them wouldnt you? But they dont. On a BB, they hug they block very very close to the cast bosses of the engine mounts, AND, they dump out on the center of the control arm! Since Ive done this twice on two different vans, using Sandersons and the cheap, $100.00 "knock offs" ( which arent that bad really), I found that the cast motorhome and the offset mounts from said motorhome work best. If youve gotta have headers, Hedmans will kick the tubes back higher and out of the way.
Posted By: Ceejus Re: Yet ANOTHER header thread... - July 27th 2021 8:07 pm
Thank you! This is the info that i was looking for!
Posted By: Genegr Re: Yet ANOTHER header thread... - August 03rd 2021 11:55 am
I ordered the ceramic hedman headers from JEGS in April. Just received my third notice from JEGS that I would not receive them until mid August. I'll let you know if I ever get them.

Thanks
Posted By: NateB Re: Yet ANOTHER header thread... - August 11th 2021 5:43 pm
Another option if the headers don't work out is a set of 92-93 5.2L Magnum manifolds. They have large dumps and flow just the like HP 340 manifolds of yesteryear.

The will fit the LA engines.
Posted By: HomeBrew Re: Yet ANOTHER header thread... - September 22nd 2021 8:43 pm
I test fit a pair of Sanderson's on my A108 with the 318 LA. I really liked how they fit.

Last week I started into a slant 6 to 318 LA swap on a '74 B100 and test fitting the same headers. I had to remove the stock exhaust manifold studs on the driver side for it to fit. If it stops raining I'll see if I can slap'em on there and snap some pics. Curious how well their patented Gasket less seal works.
Posted By: HomeBrew Re: Yet ANOTHER header thread... - October 08th 2021 1:43 pm
[Linked Image from static.wixstatic.com]

Posted By: Lee7673 Re: Yet ANOTHER header thread... - October 08th 2021 2:04 pm
Nice.
Posted By: Ram4ever Re: Yet ANOTHER header thread... - October 08th 2021 10:52 pm
Thanks for all the great detail pictures Homebrew!
Posted By: Genegr Re: Yet ANOTHER header thread... - December 13th 2021 8:39 pm
HomeBrew, what are you using for your transmission dip stick. I like the idea of getting rid of that big tube if I can.

Thanks
© Vannin' Community and Forums