Vannin' Home
Posted By: Kwikwe Ballast resistor location - March 30th 2019 12:44 am
I just picked up an 81 b150, 225 auto. It won't start, and I am searching for the ballast resistor but cannot find the location. If anyone has a pic and can tell me where to find it, I'd appreciate it.
Posted By: DadsVan Re: Ballast resistor location - March 30th 2019 1:47 am
cant offer any help but would love to see pics and hear details about your van as i also have a 87 b150 with slant 6....but mines got the 833 manual 4 speed tranny.....absolutely love that motor....damn near bullet proof
Posted By: Reed Re: Ballast resistor location - March 30th 2019 4:21 am
It will be somewhere on the firewall above the engine. When you open the hood the firewall ius staring you straight inthe face. A bit back under the cowl. There was no standard location on the firewall, just wherever the assembly line worker put the resistor.
Posted By: Kwikwe Re: Ballast resistor location - March 30th 2019 5:04 am
It's an 81 B150 cargo. It's the typical northern crusty but it's a solid foundation. It's a 225 auto with 117,000 miles. It'll turn over, but won't start, power to coil and to distributor, put gas down the carb and won't start. I'm thinking it's the ballast resistor, but I cannot find it.

Attached picture IMG_87881(2).jpg
Attached picture IMG_87721(1).jpg
Posted By: Meanmachine Re: Ballast resistor location - March 30th 2019 9:32 am
Looks like a little white ceramic rectangular part on firewall, measures about 2" x 4". Search ebay for the part, will give you an idea of what it looks like.
Posted By: Kwikwe Re: Ballast resistor location - March 30th 2019 10:23 am
I know what they look like, I have owned a plethora of vintage cars and trucks before this, I just can't seem to find it.... hence asking. It doesn't seem to be on the firewall.
Posted By: Reed Re: Ballast resistor location - March 31st 2019 12:26 am
It is possible your 1981 van has a "lean burn" computer controling the ignition (A.K.A. a "spark control computer") Is there a big black box with an air hose going to it on the firewall?

Lean burn ignitions did not use a ballast resistor and were very problem prone. Can you post some pictures of your firewall?
Posted By: DadsVan Re: Ballast resistor location - March 31st 2019 1:35 am
nice pics....lotta glass on her...sometimes i hate my blind spots
Posted By: Kwikwe Re: Ballast resistor location - March 31st 2019 5:15 am
It's got the computer, and luckily I was given the dealership service book; its saying the ignition control module is the likely the culprit. Its $25, so maybe that's it... not sure at all.
© Vannin' Community and Forums