Vannin' Home
Posted By: RichardB Rear sway bar, add a leaf, or air bags? - April 01st 2018 9:26 pm
Which did or have you installed on a van, and of those three options which did the most to both A: lessen body roll. And B: provide the most consistant (i.e, not harsh) ride? I had ordered up a rear sway bar for my van a while back, but have come to decide it is no longer being made as two different retailers who claimed to have one available later canceled on me. There is a more expensive Roadmaster sway bar that might be available: https://www.etrailer.com/Anti-Sway-Bars/Dodge/Van/1991/RM-1129-107.html?vehicleid=19911023868. Or I have many options for both air bag systems, and add a leaf systems as those types of things apply to many platforms and vehicles. Both of which come in more of the $250-300 range. Much less expensive than the sway bar!

Currently I am leaning to the air bags. Aly and I are taking a 3-4 week long road trip this July, and as such the van will be pretty heavily loaded with camping and hiking gear and food and such. But most of the time around town it is pretty light. So being able to add or remove air depending on needs at a given time is appealing. I have previously installed add on leaf packs on my moms old GMC Safari, and a couple work trucks. They were perfect for the trucks since those were loaded down a majority of the time.

Thoughts and comments?

Cheers!

- Rich
Posted By: wrcsixeight Re: Rear sway bar, add a leaf, or air bags? - April 01st 2018 9:49 pm
I added firestone ride rite airbags to my 89 b250. I love the adjustability not only for different loads, but for levelling out the rear end whan parked on a slope. 100 PSI in curbside bag and 0 in the street side makes sleeping way more comfortable.

Handling improved too with much less lean in corners, and much less letting the big rigs push me around at highway speeds.

I had some worn out gabriel shocks when I first added the bags, and they were overtaxed with the airbags, but some KYB Gas a justs further improved handling.

I usually keep 10PSI more in the driver's side airbag as I have more weight on that side.

I like to park on a truly flat surface and adjust the PSI until all 4 wheels have more or less the same clearance above the wheel arches.

My leafs are tired, but I cannot notice that now.

I put the schrader valves inside thd van so I can change pressure from within with my aircompressor.
© Vannin' Community and Forums