Vannin' Home
Posted By: jtozier406 Change front wheel bearings - August 16th 2020 4:41 pm
Anyone do this job and have some tips? Looking for a tutorial or some info on how big or little of a job this is. The van will be in the shop Friday for a tune up and I need to determine if I will have them do it or to tackle this myself.
Posted By: wrcsixeight Re: Change front wheel bearings - August 17th 2020 4:18 am
Popping out the old races in the rotor and seating the new races fully, is likely the only thing where things can go wrong, unless one has to work in a sandstorm or can't keep things clean in the process.

Getting the new wheel seals properly seated, seated can be a bit challenging too.

Full packing the new bearing cages with grease by hand takes a technique and logic, more than gobs of experience, though I've seen the older mechanic on that one car show with English guys who flip cars get it quite wrong.

If you do it yourself you can remove the dustshields, wirewheel rust treat and paint them.

There likely many you tube videos on the process.
Posted By: NateB Re: Change front wheel bearings - August 18th 2020 10:52 am
I would search Youtube. It would be a lot to type out.
Posted By: jtozier406 Re: Change front wheel bearings - August 29th 2020 2:19 pm
The noise I was hearing was the wheel bearings but my mechanic said the previous installer did not adjust them correctly. They adjusted them and they are nice and quiet now.
© Vannin' Community and Forums