Vannin' Home
Posted By: frediz About suspension parts - June 19th 2020 2:54 pm
Hi guys,
I'm still working on the underside of my van. I ordered already many parts, but for some
I don't know which parts or where to get them.

I found the leaf springs in Europe but I'm not sure which of them to choose : those 1600 lbs
or the 2100 lbs ones.
My van is a conversion van ( 87 G2500 GMC, same as chevy G20 from what I know ) and the previous leaf spring set is 4+1 (if I'm correct) .
And 4+1 at raabspeed imports is the 1600lbs set, but the seller told me (as explain in red) that 1600lbs
is only for lighter vans and NOT for heavy conversion vans, where a lot of things are added.
What do you think ?

On the suspension topic, do you know where I can find U-bolts for the frontend 2" lower control arm ? I didn't find them on rockauto.

F.
Posted By: frediz Re: About suspension parts - June 19th 2020 3:36 pm
Here is my current leaf spring .
And yes, I don't reuse them, because I had to cut the left one which I was unable to remove properly :'(

Attached picture DSC_0830_1024.jpg
Attached picture DSC_0831_1024.jpg
Posted By: shaggy Re: About suspension parts - June 19th 2020 7:31 pm
Another alternative is to go with rear airbags.
Posted By: frediz Re: About suspension parts - June 19th 2020 8:19 pm
Yeah shaggy, that was my idea initially smile . But I didn't find any full replacement for leaf springs.
For example, I stumbled on that kit : https://www.amazon.com/LIFT-57105-LoadLifter-Air-Spring/dp/B000CFNOT2
but you still need leaf springs in place.
Are there complete kits to go full air ?

Else with leaf springs, to feel the air suspensions, I guess I need not too firm leaf springs and in that case, I still don't know which one would be good candidates.

F.
Posted By: shaggy Re: About suspension parts - June 19th 2020 11:09 pm
There may be a factory options sticker under the hood or in the door frame that might list which rear suspension option you have stock. If you definitely can't re-use your old leaf springs then those replacement leafs are the only way to go. There are places that custom make leaf springs for HGVs and trucks. If you can find one near you they may be able to weigh your van and make up springs to suit.

I'm guessing you figure it out from your van weight.
I'm not sure this is correct but looks like it makes sense to me.

1600lbs x 4 = 6400Lbs = 2902kgs

2100lbs x 4 = 8400Lbs = 3810kgs
© Vannin' Community and Forums