Vannin' Home
Posted By: Mikeburkey Pop top/ high top - September 09th 2019 3:35 pm
I have a Chevy g20 1994, I would like to do a high top, how difficult is an install and how to go about it?
Posted By: frscke1 Re: Pop top/ high top - September 10th 2019 4:57 am
Might help might not .... if you have never done it its a job

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=putting+a+hitop+on+a+van
Posted By: Reed Re: Pop top/ high top - September 10th 2019 5:03 am
FYI- I wanted a high top for years. I recently purchased a nice high top conversion for only a few hundred dollars more than the cost of a brand new high top. If you think you want a high top, just get a van that has one already. Unless you have nothing else to do and access to a free high top.
Posted By: Astrocreep66 Re: Pop top/ high top - September 10th 2019 11:15 am
You can get a g van hightop cheaper than the kit, I got a quote of $4500 on a Ford but pricing is the same ..
Posted By: NEmery Re: Pop top/ high top - September 10th 2019 1:27 pm
you can pick up clean high top conversion g vans for next to nothing. I have a high top ford and don't really like it.
Posted By: Just4fun1991 Re: Pop top/ high top - September 10th 2019 6:45 pm
My own suggestion is that if you want a Hi-Top van, go buy a hi-top van. Unless your current van that you are converting has a bad roof or something else, you would be taking the big chance that if the conversion didn't go 100% that you have thus ruined a good van.

It's going to be a labor of love and hope you get it sealed right project.

I think shipping on a hi-top part will be pricey to say the least if you find anyone selling a conversion kit.

Just my $.02 in thinking out loud.....
Posted By: Mikeburkey Re: Pop top/ high top - September 10th 2019 8:20 pm
Yeah if I was going to do anything I would rob a top off a scrap g van. Thank you guys for your input, I probably won't end up doing it after more research, Thank you
Posted By: Reed Re: Pop top/ high top - September 10th 2019 8:32 pm
Installation is basically cut a hole in the roof of your van leaving enough of a lip for the high top to screw to, then put the high top on the van with some kind of sealant between the roof and the top, then screw the top to the roof. Not technically difficult, but those high tops are HEAVY and cumbersome so you better have a few friends and a gantry crane.
Posted By: Astrocreep66 Re: Pop top/ high top - September 10th 2019 10:21 pm
Still not as easy as a sun roof, just on a larger scale hi Reed? Lol
Posted By: frscke1 Re: Pop top/ high top - September 11th 2019 2:06 am
Before you cut you have to support the sides at the top so it doesnt cave in ... a crossbar type of support
Posted By: frscke1 Re: Pop top/ high top - September 11th 2019 5:53 pm
A nice hitop ...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1995-Chevrolet-G20-Van-Gladiator/323911616689?hash=item4b6aa308b1:g:PYkAAOSwxexdeEG1&vxp=mtr
© Vannin' Community and Forums