Vannin' Home
Posted By: Goatsnake Drop spindle question - April 14th 2018 3:52 pm
Hey fellow vanners, new to the site. I have a 1990 GMC vandura 1500 cargo I'm looking to drop the front end.
Looking for a link to decent cheap dropped spindles and information on make/model year compatibility with other domestic trucks/vans 1/2 ton. Cheers!

Attached picture IMG_0003.jpg
Posted By: Scrojira Re: Drop spindle question - April 14th 2018 8:31 pm
I know some people are going to freak out about me saying this but if you're only dropping a couple of inches, save yourself the hassle and just use shorter springs for a Chevy C10 pickup.

You may be able to find them for less, but here's an example: 1963-72 Chevy Pickup Front Lowering Coil Springs, 2 Inch Drop - speedwaymotors.com
Posted By: jcd74 Re: Drop spindle question - April 14th 2018 11:05 pm
Check out MaxTrac. Remember to check your rotor thickness! Most important part. Amazon has them for about 220 set. Go on MaxTrac's site first, then shop.
Posted By: Goatsnake Re: Drop spindle question - April 16th 2018 6:32 am
Thanks guys. I think I’ll go spindle. Don’t want to [censored] with my suspension too much and I’ll be taking that shit off anyway to redo brakes. 👍🏻
Posted By: CatFish Re: Drop spindle question - April 16th 2018 1:17 pm
Welcome Goat.
We went with drop spindles. They've been great so far ( edit: about 65K miles ago). Excellent tire wear once I found an alignment shop that knew what they were doing. They charge $80 a pop but are worth every cent.

[Linked Image]

Be aware, they don't tell ya but most drop spindles will widen the front track slightly. Choose your wheels carefully as tire clearance can become an issue......

Posted By: CatFish Re: Drop spindle question - April 16th 2018 1:27 pm
BTW......if you plan to sleep in yours very often you might need some leveling blocks....... grin
[Linked Image]

lol
Posted By: Scrojira Re: Drop spindle question - April 16th 2018 3:01 pm
Originally Posted by Goatsnake
Thanks guys. I think I’ll go spindle. Don’t want to [censored] with my suspension too much and I’ll be taking that shit off anyway to redo brakes. 👍🏻

Changing springs is much easier than installing drop spindles.
Posted By: Goatsnake Re: Drop spindle question - April 16th 2018 6:53 pm
👍🏻 Ya either that or off set my bed 😆
Posted By: Goatsnake Re: Drop spindle question - April 16th 2018 6:57 pm
Thanks CatFish I’m rockin’ 235’s in the front
Posted By: ZeroBling Re: Drop spindle question - April 19th 2018 2:17 am
Hello, first post, longtime lurker. Wow CatFish, van looks great.
Posted By: frscke1 Re: Drop spindle question - April 19th 2018 2:20 am
Welcome to the site ZeroBling ....
Posted By: Kballs Re: Drop spindle question - May 28th 2018 9:22 pm
Catfish what model spindles did you use? I have a g10 1980 and am trying to figure out what will work.
Posted By: CatFish Re: Drop spindle question - May 29th 2018 5:08 am
Kballs I bought spindles that fit an '85 C1500. Actually they fit many years of pick-ups but for ordering purposes I ordered for an '85 C1500 with 1.25" thick rotors. (some of the very early '70s Chevy vans/pick-ups had 1" thick rotors but you shouldn't have to worry with a '80)
The spindles fit my '94 with very few problems.
Your front brake lines won't fit back in place. A lot of people use flex lines, I used front lines for a '94 C3500 (1 ton) and they are almost a bolt on.
Good luck.
Posted By: Dw89xj Re: Drop spindle question - August 26th 2018 1:59 pm
Originally Posted by Scrojira
Originally Posted by Goatsnake

Changing springs is much easier than installing drop spindles.

Don't you have to undo the spindle to change the spring out? I only ask because I haven't messed with a van suspension yet but on other stuff I had to undo the spindle to get the coil out anyway?
Posted By: shaggy Re: Drop spindle question - August 26th 2018 9:04 pm
Just need to break open the lower ball joint and let the LCA down slowly on a jack.......

https://www.vanning.com/threads/ubb...nsion-ball-joint-the-easy-way#Post731409
© Vannin' Community and Forums