Vannin' Home
Posted By: abcde06991 95 Vandura Leaking Side Windows - January 27th 2018 9:04 pm
The big side windows have a pretty bad leak. Water just goes behind the window and into the van like there is no seal there. Does this on all 3 windows, i temporarily sealed it with some silicon but it isnt attractive. How would i go about fixing this?
Posted By: frscke1 Re: 95 Vandura Leaking Side Windows - January 27th 2018 10:39 pm
Get a tube of this .... https://www.flexsealproducts.com/product/flex-shot/

Use a wooden butter knife to tip the seal out & lay a bead of this behind the seal. You may want to get the clear type. This stuff is great against water.

Or go an take out all the windows, get new seals.
Posted By: tuner4life Re: 95 Vandura Leaking Side Windows - January 29th 2018 2:26 pm
That Flexseal stuff seals great, but I'd pass on it. A friend of mine used it to seal a couple of leak spots in the roof gutters of his car and it worked great, but when the time came for him to paint the car, you couldn't remove it. It was attached down in the gutter so well that we had a heck of a time getting it back off even with chisels. It ended up being a nasty mess and more trouble than it was worth.

So if you are never planning on having to remove it, then go ahead.
Posted By: wrcsixeight Re: 95 Vandura Leaking Side Windows - January 29th 2018 7:03 pm
Sealing the window exterior with silicone is a temporary solution, and not a very good one.

To get anything bonded again to where the silicone once bonded, will be difficult requiring strong solvents and elbow grease.

The fix is to remove window and clean area, treat the inevitable rust, and use new seals and compress them evenly. Then on exterior fill in gaps with a non silicone paintable caulk.

it is also possible the sliding window tracks are clogged so any rain that drips in the slider window floods over and spills inward.

It is also possible that the person who installed the windows penetrated this rain channel with the screws, so that it leaks past the screws.
© Vannin' Community and Forums