Vannin' Home
I thought I'd make a posting regarding the installation of a steering damper on full sized Chevy G-Series Vans. I ran into a lot of problems figuring out the installation of this particular kit due to extremely archaeic instructions, and it seemed like others around on the forums here had similar issue. So, I figured I'd make a posting about my solution.I was able to install it with no issues and it seems to fit perfectly. The part number of the kit I used is:

Monroe SA1932

The correct way to mount this is on the inside of the drivers side frame rail using the lower rear bolt holding the steering gearbox in place. This is shown in the first photo.

You then mount the stabilizer to the bracket as shown.

The plate and u bolt bracket that gets mounted to the center link is mounted by first turning the steering wheel all the way to the left, then compressing the stabilizer all the way in, with it installed on the L-Bracket, then pulling it out about 1/8th of an inch. The bolt for the center link mounted side of the stabilizer is in the correct position, so simply mount up the plate and u bolt bracket where the stabilizer is, and you should be good to go. Enjoy! Hope this helps.

[img]https://imgur.com/gallery/1zITJ[/img]
I run dual Monroe stab on my '92 G30 long boy ....

[Linked Image]

I run dual Rancho on my '93 G30 4x4 long boy.....

[Linked Image]
Yeah, I've seen that you've mentioned the welded brackets using the Monroe stabilizers on the TRE's. I thought I'd post this to let people know that there is a full kit that works w/o having to do any welding. No way you could run duals, but in my case, I think one will be plenty.
I'll play dumb with this one....what exactly does this do? Do you need one kit or two?
The purpose of a steering stabilizer is to tame the action of trucks and SUVs with oversized tires. ... But, a steering stabilizer ends the common vibration problem that larger tires can cause, smoothing out your ride.
The steering stabilizer's primary function is to dampen or stabilize the side to side movement of the wheels in much the same way shock absorbers limiting excessive suspension movement & oscillation. Steering stabilizers are a necessary component because it helps to absorb bump-steer and flighty steering issues.

Hit it on the head. I'm hoping it will help control the "sail-boat" effect I tend to feel on the highway with the van. Less-sway. In other words, tighten up the ole recirculating ball steering system.
frscke1 your VAN is WOW. May I ask what transmission and transfer case are you running in your van.
’93 G30 454 4×4 EXT, 4L80E, NP205, 4-56 Spicer gear pak in a DANA front and GM Corp 14 rear, Bilstein 5100s, BFG 315/75/16 (35"), 146″ wheelbase.

http://www.lmctruck.com/van/

http://lmctrucklife.com/2016/02/scott-keefer-1993-chevy-g30/
Thanks for the write up; ordered this same kit for my van.
Glad it helped. If you have any questions during install, i'll help as much as i can. I sent you a PM regarding your coil spacers for the lift up front on your G10. Have those worked out well for you? Im a little apprehensive about using them but if you have had good luck with it, I'd like to see how they work. I need just a little bit more lift up front for 31" tires. Thanks man.
i just ordered a damper kit from rockauto if i have problems i will ask for help,thank's for your post,
The key is to use the correct holes in each bracket to mount the stabilizer. You want the bolts thriugh each end of the damper to essentially be running parallel to the ground. This allows the “up and down” travel of the steering linkage to occur with binding with the damper. It took a little fiddling, some head scratching, but easy to sort out mostly. If you have the factory oil cooler, make sure you clear the lines after install. They run right above the center link.
Hey guys. After enough messing around with it, I decided that the mounting option I had used previously would create a bind between the damper and the steering linkage. The Monroe kit seemed like it worked well initially but there just isn’t a good way to mount it correctly after driving around with it. I have, however, located a MOOG kit that looks like it will work well. It is part number SSD73. I had a Moog customer service agent email me the instruction sheet in the kit that shows a photo of installation. The fitment notes say “w/o factory oil cooler”, but the image shows that the kit uses both bottom steering gear bolts, that are well below my oil cooler lines. I think it will be fine. Here is the instruction sheet:

[Linked Image]
well i fitted mine this morning and test drove it slow at first then freeway speed then threw it around in the back street's and i love it!! i copied the pic's you posted for reference it has made a big difference at speed, cant feel any binding,thank's for the post
Glad to hear it worked well for you. Maybe I am just being a hypochondriac, as always! Lol. At least now there are 2 possible solutions for aftermarket dampers. I’ll update with the Moog part and how it works out.
Got the moog kit installed. Works great. It clears the oil cooler lines and the balancer nicely. Seems to make the van track a little tighter. Overall, worth it for the 34$ bucks I spent on it through Amazon.
Hi Guys, is this one of the shock mount bolts from one of these kits?

[Linked Image]
Yes, that is the center bolt mount.

[Linked Image]
For some reason it came in the box along with an upper suspension arm ball joint I bought recently. coffee
It may be used for other things but that is a stabilizer bolt. One end gets bolted to the frame , the other end holds the shock with the black sleeve on it, thru the eye of the shock.
Reviving this ooold thread lol.
I got the monroe kit, as i can understand only one bolt holds the main bracket to the frame? Is this…. Ok?
Cheers ✌🏻
1 bolt holds the shock to the bracket and the bracket is bolted or welded to the frame...
It’s bolted to the frame, i know. Is 1 bolt enough?
Cant answer this as I had my bracket welded to the frame....
I've had mine on for 32 years, except to have put a new shock in. Had another on a van for 10 years. 32 on my present 90 G20
Works great! Feels more… solid?
I read through this and have a slightly different plan of attack for my Express. My stabilizer is going to be a 1.5" bore hydraulic ram assist cylinder that is ported into the OEM saginaw box. Will physically take wear and tear off the steering box and the fluid in the ram will work as a stabilizer. Almost the same install as the stabilizer just have to add 2 x -6 AN lines to the tapped steering gear box.
above instructions are incorrect it should read

by first turning the steering wheel all the way to the RIGHT , then compressing the stabilizer all the way in,

I followed the instructions above and crushed a damper and almost destroyed my van .
© Vannin' Community and Forums