Vannin' Home
Posted By: vanarama Hard Start and Idle until warm '91 G20 - July 31st 2017 10:48 pm
Hi,

First post on the forum here, so I don't know whether this has been answered before and I just can't seem to find it. That being said, I just picked up a '91 305 tbi G20 a couple weeks ago and I drove it home about 40 mins and to work the next couple days and it runs great once it's warm but has a really tough time starting and I need to feather the gas for aprox. 3-5 mins until it will idle by itself and is ready to drive.

Now, it's a little worse than when I got it but still got it to fire up today. I've done some research and I'm thinking it might be a bad fuel pump or the lines as starter fluid really helps it fire. I don't really want to replace the fuel pump and have it not be the main problem, so any suggestions on what else it could be or just general advice on what I should do?

Also, I checked the error codes and don't seem to have any, and all the spark plugs are new and the wires look good.

Cheers
Posted By: frscke1 Re: Hard Start and Idle until warm '91 G20 - July 31st 2017 11:13 pm
Welcome to the site ....

If it is a fuel problem there is a fuel filter on the passenger wall by the gas tank, check may be a cheep fix.

Again welcome ...
Posted By: vanarama Re: Hard Start and Idle until warm '91 G20 - July 31st 2017 11:40 pm
Thanks, I'll keep you posted and check the fuel filter (changing if necessary).
Posted By: Meanmachine Re: Hard Start and Idle until warm '91 G20 - August 01st 2017 12:17 am
Check throttle body gasket for a leak and the idle control valve may need cleaned.
© Vannin' Community and Forums