Vannin' Home
Posted By: clayhughesmusic 93 Chevy G20 Modifications - April 26th 2017 11:51 am
I'm wanting to replace the frame and engine on my 93 "Short" van...I believe 110 inch wheelbase. However, I want to replace it with newer, upgraded Chevy parts....hopefully 2010 or newer. I know a lot of folks on here will not agree with me and want to keep it original. But, anyone that has helpful input, advice, or experience...PLEASE HELP!
Posted By: burr_78g10 Re: 93 Chevy G20 Modifications - May 19th 2017 10:48 pm
Pretty sure that these vans are unibody.
Posted By: Dyno_Dave Re: 93 Chevy G20 Modifications - May 20th 2017 11:54 am
Originally Posted by burr_78g10
Pretty sure that these vans are unibody.

Correct. His '93 Chevy G20 is a uni-body. 1996 and up are full frame-on-body vehicles.
Posted By: clayhughesmusic Re: 93 Chevy G20 Modifications - May 21st 2017 5:30 am
Ok, not a problem. I've decided I just want to update the drivetrain, engine/transmission. If anyone has any experience with that, I'd appreciate the advice!
Posted By: Don_F Re: 93 Chevy G20 Modifications - May 21st 2017 5:58 pm
2010 is an LS Swap. Hot Rod Garage did an LS swap on you tube. This is probably not a project that someone posting basic questions on a forum should tackle, it's up to you. I don't think anyone here will care if you keep it stock or not so you don't have to worry there. An easier project you can upgrade the 93 computer to a better 94-95 ecm and keep the TBI. The later style v8 vortec heads up to 2002 can be fitted, even try burning your own chips if you're up for a challenge. The 4l60e can be upgraded to 2001 and later 4l65e specs. All it takes is time and lots of money.
Posted By: clayhughesmusic Re: 93 Chevy G20 Modifications - June 05th 2017 4:56 pm
Don,
You are the man I need to be talking to! Yes, basic questions...but I have a pretty vast knowledge with other mechanical work...electric, just so-so. But, luckily, you responded and seem to know the steps I need to take to make this project work.

Just to give you a quick background on why I want to do this project...its purely sentimental. My dad past away a few years ago, left me all of his tools, never got to rebuild a car/truck/van together, and now its my goal to do a rebuild with his tools. We rebuilt mixers, extruders, and everything in between, for Firestone, Goodyear, etc, etc. So, I feel I can tackle this "machine"...just need to learn more about it! THANK YOU!
Posted By: clayhughesmusic Re: 93 Chevy G20 Modifications - June 05th 2017 5:27 pm
My transmission (4l60E) is pretty new and, for now, I'd like to avoid having to do much to it. My cam and lifters are going out in this 4.3 V6...and the power is horrible. I want to replace it with a V8 that will mount to my current transmission, simple/best options. I am fine with a small block V8, if that is recommended.
Posted By: 1959 Re: 93 Chevy G20 Modifications - June 05th 2017 8:02 pm
Keep it simple.

These vans are unibody so no frame to replace. Might need patched up but...? A small block Chevy should bolt up to your modern trans. Does your van require a smog check in KC? Might have to keep it a six...? Go to a junkyard, there should be plenty Chevy trucks with 350s in em. You might even find another G20. Strip that van for parts like radiator, alternator, water pump, hoses, pulleys, linkage, brackets, etc. Find a 350 and rebuild it for moderate duty. Skip the LS swap.

Put it all back together and you will be on the road in a month or two.

Keep it simple.
Posted By: clayhughesmusic Re: 93 Chevy G20 Modifications - June 05th 2017 8:50 pm
Thank you for that! Would a smaller block, something smaller than 350, work as well? Is a Vortex V6 even worth looking into?
Posted By: Don_F Re: 93 Chevy G20 Modifications - June 10th 2017 10:39 pm
Originally Posted by clayhughesmusic
My transmission (4l60E) is pretty new and, for now, I'd like to avoid having to do much to it. My cam and lifters are going out in this 4.3 V6...and the power is horrible. I want to replace it with a V8 that will mount to my current transmission, simple/best options. I am fine with a small block V8, if that is recommended.

4l60e are not known for their strength. especially in 93. The 1996 and later 350 has vortec heads and about 30-40hp compared to the 95 and its 193 heads, but a lot of the time the vortec's are cracked. Summit has new castings assembled for about 320 each 12558060. The ports on the vortec heads are raised, both intake and exhaust, more flow without loosing velocity. Chevy has a tbi manifold for the 96 + engine to use the TBI (12496821). There are other options if you don't need EGR for a smog check. If you do change heads, the computer chip will have to be redone so visit http://www.gearhead-efi.com/ to learn about that.
Posted By: Don_F Re: 93 Chevy G20 Modifications - June 10th 2017 10:48 pm
Originally Posted by clayhughesmusic
Thank you for that! Would a smaller block, something smaller than 350, work as well? Is a Vortex V6 even worth looking into?

Not for the amount of work and money your going to do. It costs the same to rebuild a 305 as it does a 350, sometimes even a bit more because the pistons for the 305 run a bit more. The outside dimensions are the same. The smaller bore of a 305 will not take the larger valves on most 350 head. So its a dog all the way.
© Vannin' Community and Forums