Vannin' Home
Posted By: shaggy Got a rear Hellwig anti sway bar? - May 06th 2009 8:09 am
Hi, Has anyone got a rear Hellwig anti sway bar mounted on their van? I bought a Dodge one and am fabricating my own brackets to make it fit my 79 G30. Howard posted a shot of one on Futureshock a while back but so much work was done on the suspension by BFG that I'm not sure how far from stock it is. It'd be handy to see how the bar is designed to fit and how it clears the brake proportioning valve etc.
Posted By: Bryce Re: Got a rear Hellwig anti sway bar? - May 07th 2009 1:55 am
I do on my '94 g20. I'll have to try to get you some pics. I don't have a lift so I don't know how well I can photograph it by crawling under there. But since you are in Ireland and can't come look at it I'll try. I assume the mountin points are the areas of most interest to you.
Posted By: Bryce Re: Got a rear Hellwig anti sway bar? - May 07th 2009 1:56 am
It may be a couple days.
Posted By: shaggy Re: Got a rear Hellwig anti sway bar? - May 07th 2009 7:06 am
Cheers Bryce that'd be great, And yeah it is the mounting points I'm interested in. You're a star grin cheers
Posted By: Bryce Re: Got a rear Hellwig anti sway bar? - May 09th 2009 5:43 pm
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

See all 17 pictures here.
Posted By: Ram4ever Re: Got a rear Hellwig anti sway bar? - May 09th 2009 6:25 pm
Awesome pictures Bryce!

That's the first rear sway bar installation I've seen pictures of that made sense... too many have the end links mounted to the frame rails, which I wouldn't trust.

Do you happen to know the model number of your kit?

Clear skies!
Posted By: Bryce Re: Got a rear Hellwig anti sway bar? - May 09th 2009 8:27 pm
Sorry, no. Actually it was so long ago I'm not positive it's a Hellwig. I can't remember if it was this van (94 G20)I bought Hellwig ones for or Addco. I've got a rear swaybar on my Safari too and I'm not sure which is which. But since Shaggy's is for a Dodge and he's making his own brackets I doubt it matters.

After searching Hellwig's site I beleive I used 7178 for the rear, this is a 1 ton/motorhome part but I wanted the biggest one I could get, the reccomended rear bar is 7615 for 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton. I think I used the front for motorhomes too It's 7162, or 7519 for the G10-G30 vans.

If anyone is looking to buy these I remind you I'm not positive on what I used. So I recommend sticking with what is made to fit unless you are buying from a store with a good return policy.
Posted By: shaggy Re: Got a rear Hellwig anti sway bar? - May 09th 2009 9:38 pm
Thanks a million for the photos Bryce. Sadly the Dodge bar isn't as wide as the one you have and can't be mounted in the same way.
I made up some brackets and put the bar on this morning.
It still require two additional bolts to attach the chassis brackets to the chassis. I would rather it was mounted the other way around as yours is but because it's too narrow it would be very difficult to make suitable brackets to attach it to the chassis.
Here's photos of how I attached mine.And yeah my chassis is in a terrible state too. The yellowish gunk is spray on wax if you're wondering.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: VanMatt Re: Got a rear Hellwig anti sway bar? - October 21st 2012 3:29 pm
Hi,

I'm new in here. Bryce's kit looks like Addco 424, as is mine. I 'm just tryin' to install it and wondering how on earth the angle brackets should be bolted to the frame because '89 Chevy Van has a closed frame rail design.

Please, could anyone help me?
Posted By: frscke1 Re: Got a rear Hellwig anti sway bar? - October 21st 2012 8:43 pm
Hi vanmatt welcome to the site
© Vannin' Community and Forums