Vannin' Home
Posted By: Reed Long tube dual exhaust for a 75-91 E-150 - April 19th 2017 12:27 am
OK- I have decided to bite the bullet and upgrade the exhaust on my 89 E-150. it has a 351 and is currently exhausting through stock 302 shorty headers (probably for a Mustang) and a single exhaust system. I think the pipe is 2 1/2, but it might be 2 1/4.

I am going to install long tube headers and dual exhaust. I am still deciding between Hooker or Hedman headers, but the new exhaust tubes will be dual 2 1/2 inch diameter pipes.

Here are my questions:

(1) any preference or experience with one brand of headers over the other? Whatever I get will have the shipping paint stripped and be painted with true high-temp exhaust manifold paint. I am more concerned with fitment on the van and performance.

(2) anybody have a clear diagram or pictures of how dual exhaust is routed on a standard wheelbase and body 75-91 Ford van with dual exhaust tanks?

Thanks!
Posted By: CatFish Re: Long tube dual exhaust for a 75-91 E-150 - April 19th 2017 3:27 am
"dual exhaust tanks"? I'm guessing "dual gas tanks". lol
I have a single 3" system back to the main cat and muffler, then duals from there back. So I'm not much help....

I do believe if you're going with long tube headers/true duals you may need to research the transmission cross-members from different engines/trans/years as some had the "bump ups" or gaps for exhaust pipe clearance on both sides.

BTW.....You know I've got to give ya a hard time about all that smog you're gonna make.... laugh
Posted By: CatFish Re: Long tube dual exhaust for a 75-91 E-150 - April 19th 2017 3:39 am
I searched Walkers site : http://www.walkerexhaust.com/catalog/walker-exhaust-systems/e-catalog-lookup

They show some pretty good line diagrams.

So far I can't find any year/combination from 75 to 91 with duals......
Posted By: Reed Re: Long tube dual exhaust for a 75-91 E-150 - April 19th 2017 3:14 pm
Whoops! Yeah, I meant dual gas tanks.

As far as smog goes, I am strongly considering welding in a bung so the EGR will still functions and there is no reason (other than cost) why I couldn't dual cats. However, pricing out what I need for just the headers so far shows that before I ever think about buying pipe and mufflers and the cost of labor to install it I am at about $350.

I know 75-91 Ford vans did have a package that was dual exhaust form the factory. I might have been the big block or diesel package. Yeah, check out the 1989 E250 with a 351 over 8500 GVW- dual exhaust from at least the muffler back.

OK- so I confirmed that my current exhaust is a set of factory 302 headers (all I had at the time of engine install that (a) cleared the body and (b) had the EGR fitting) going into a 2 1/2 inch Y pipe, then a high flow cat, then a Walker Quiet Flow muffler for a big block, then going into a single 2 1/4 pipe out to the end. Too small. I need to research more. Maybe a set of long tubes tying into a single larger pipe. New high flow cat, new bigger muffler. Cripes, this adds up fast. Maybe just get a bigger diameter pipe behind the Y pipe and leave the manifolds and Y I already have in place.
Posted By: CatFish Re: Long tube dual exhaust for a 75-91 E-150 - April 19th 2017 3:35 pm
A 2.5" pipe has an area on 4.9 sq. inches. So duals would be about 9.8 sq. inches.

A 3" pipe will have 7.07 sq. inches and a 3.5" pipe will have about 9.62 sq. inches.

Have you thought about a 3.5" single system with smooth bends? Gotta be less expensive than duals and an easier install for not much difference at all.
Posted By: Reed Re: Long tube dual exhaust for a 75-91 E-150 - April 19th 2017 3:43 pm
That is a very good idea. I know a properly designed single exhuast system can be just as good or better than a true dual exhaust system. I will keep researching parts costs. The only catch is that it can't be too loud. I like my van quiet as I go down the road.
Posted By: Hasan Ben Sobar Re: Long tube dual exhaust for a 75-91 E-150 - April 20th 2017 1:07 am
The word "tube" is being missed used here. Tubes are from the head flange to the collector. Pipes are from the collector back. Which is it?
Posted By: CatFish Re: Long tube dual exhaust for a 75-91 E-150 - April 20th 2017 3:02 am
Originally Posted by Hasan Ben Sobar
The word "tube" is being missed used here. Tubes are from the head flange to the collector. Pipes are from the collector back. Which is it?

The term "missed used" is being misused here.......... angel
Posted By: Hasan Ben Sobar Re: Long tube dual exhaust for a 75-91 E-150 - April 20th 2017 1:51 pm
Yep-that's what happens when you've been up for 20+ hours. But in the mean time-you can't add any pertinent info to the topic. So STFU.
Posted By: CatFish Re: Long tube dual exhaust for a 75-91 E-150 - April 20th 2017 1:59 pm
Originally Posted by Hasan Ben Sobar
Yep-that's what happens when you've been up for 20+ hours. But in the mean time-you can't add any pertinent info to the topic. So STFU.

Okay.
Sorry you're so tired.
Posted By: Reed Re: Long tube dual exhaust for a 75-91 E-150 - April 20th 2017 2:51 pm
I disagree that the terms "tubes" and "pipes" are being misused here. We have been referring to "long tube headers' and "exhaust pipes," meaning the length of the tubes of the exhaust manifolds coming of the head and the diameter of the pipe that connects to the header and then runs to the catalytic converter, muffler, and then runs o the back of the van. All uses have ben correct, as far as I can tell.

There is no need to be a jerk because someone made a joke about the spelling autocorrect function putting in the wrong words.
Posted By: Hasan Ben Sobar Re: Long tube dual exhaust for a 75-91 E-150 - April 24th 2017 2:48 pm
You can disagree all you want, but the correct term for headers tubes is "tubes". Pipes refer to anything past the headers. Google "lake pipes".

Now back top the topic.

If you have shorties on there now, you will pick up SOME torque with the change to long tubes. Header tube diameter effects performance greatly. You do not want 2 inch primary tubes.

As to routing, if I was in your place I would probably be looking at bringing the collector pipes into one 3 inch head pipe and then thru the convertor(I assume) and then thru just about any muffler other than a Flowbastard.

Or if you have the room, keep it dual and go headers-converter-muffler into Zoomies. That would be cool,but I suspect you won't have the room.
© Vannin' Community and Forums