Vannin' Home
Posted By: G20Hunter Test drove a '94 g20 van but need more power - February 09th 2021 2:16 am
I test drove one and it's ok to drive in low speed areas but takes a loooooong time to gain some speed on the highway. and forget about accelerating and changing lanes better off waiting for the traffic to pass. lol

with that said, minimal rust all pieces inside are there and body is in great condition. so the only thing really lacking is the power. and it does have srs 🤣

are there options to build with what is in there already? i read somewhere changing tbi system and removing computer and using a carb setup. are there kits already made out there for performance?

or engine swap?
Posted By: lukester Re: Test drove a '94 g20 van but need more power - February 09th 2021 3:06 am
Did you test drive a V6 or V8 ?
Posted By: Rusty Pancelode Re: Test drove a '94 g20 van but need more power - February 09th 2021 3:50 am
Just hold out for one with a 5.7.
No reason to do it the hard way.
Posted By: frscke1 Re: Test drove a '94 g20 van but need more power - February 09th 2021 4:55 am
Just hold out for one with a 7.4.

No reason to do it the hard way ....

lol
Posted By: G20Hunter Re: Test drove a '94 g20 van but need more power - February 09th 2021 9:27 am
Originally Posted by lukester

v8

Originally Posted by Rusty_Pancelode

it has an L05 engine v8 5.7 tbi and m30 transmission

lol
Posted By: DrCaldre Re: Test drove a '94 g20 van but need more power - February 09th 2021 2:26 pm
I'm curious if that 5.7 is a K or A code block, the K block makes a little more power. From what I understand the TBI cast iron heads are what make the motor underperform. Pretty sure the big block only came in the G30, but I could be wrong. So if you want a G20 but that 5.7 isn't enough power for you, you're probably going to be looking at rebuilding the top end.
Posted By: Rusty Pancelode Re: Test drove a '94 g20 van but need more power - February 09th 2021 6:13 pm
Originally Posted by frscke1
Just hold out for one with a 7.4.

No reason to do it the hard way ....

lol

Right? lol

Maybe I'm spoiled, but my '92 has plenty of get up and go.
Don't have any issues merging onto the highway, or passing, or whatever.
Seems to have a sweet spot at around 70mph. lol
It acts like that's its favorite speed.

Is the van you drove running correctly?
Is it a conversion van?

The way you described it, it sounds like a 6 cylinder, high roof, conversion van.
lol
Posted By: CatFish Re: Test drove a '94 g20 van but need more power - February 09th 2021 6:29 pm
They could be ordered with a 3.08 rear gear. Not sure why anyone would order it that way but I've seen a few. Those things are real bricks!
Might check the ratio or the RPO list.
Posted By: 1959 Re: Test drove a '94 g20 van but need more power - February 09th 2021 7:09 pm
Yes my 88 g20 with 350 does just fine. Its not winning any races but can easily play on the interstate. It also has a happy place at about 72mph.

And....I am currently looking for another g20 and my 2 biggest requirements are 350 (sorry frske1) and factory a/c.

That van must have some issues.
Posted By: NateB Re: Test drove a '94 g20 van but need more power - February 09th 2021 7:35 pm
Originally Posted by G20Hunter

v8

lol

Same engine as my '93. Sorry but they are dogs...only rated at 210HP/300ft lbs torque. It cruises along pretty nice though. Some day I'd like to put a 383 in it.
Posted By: NateB Re: Test drove a '94 g20 van but need more power - February 09th 2021 7:37 pm
Originally Posted by CatFish
They could be ordered with a 3.08 rear gear. Not sure why anyone would order it that way but I've seen a few. Those things are real bricks!
Might check the ratio or the RPO list.

Mine had 3.42 gears, but I upgraded to 3.73 gears and LSD. Still a turd, but it is high-top conversion. All bark and no bite. lol
Posted By: DrCaldre Re: Test drove a '94 g20 van but need more power - February 09th 2021 8:07 pm
Mine had 3.42 gears, but I upgraded to 3.73 gears and LSD. Still a turd, but it is high-top conversion. All bark and no bite. lol

What rpm does that rear end setup run at 70mph on the freeway?
Posted By: frscke1 Re: Test drove a '94 g20 van but need more power - February 09th 2021 8:54 pm
4L80E trans & 4.10 gears in my '93 ... 1750 to 2000 rpm goin 85 90 ... tops out at about 3400 and im doin WAY OVER a 100 ... and not a Mustang in sight lol
Posted By: CatFish Re: Test drove a '94 g20 van but need more power - February 10th 2021 12:14 am
We have a '95 G20 with a 350 tbi and we have no trouble towing our TT to the mountains or the beach. Pulls fine.....
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]Big Blue and the T139
Posted By: Meanmachine Re: Test drove a '94 g20 van but need more power - February 10th 2021 12:52 am
Catfish, that's a nice looking van and camper set-up you have.
Posted By: CatFish Re: Test drove a '94 g20 van but need more power - February 10th 2021 1:04 am
Thank you! That's actually Penny's and only has 68K miles. It's got 3.42 gears as well. It's no 454 but will pull the camper well. Granted the camper only weighs about 2200 lbs loaded.
G20Hunter, if I had problems I would also suspect the knock sensor. It retards the timing during acceleration and if it goes blinky (that's a technical term) it can affect performance big time.
Posted By: NateB Re: Test drove a '94 g20 van but need more power - February 10th 2021 3:28 pm
Originally Posted by DrCaldre

What rpm does that rear end setup run at 70mph on the freeway?

No idea...I don't have my tach installed yet, but just from hearing the engine it's not too bad. I don't drive very fast in the van anyway.
Posted By: G20Hunter Re: Test drove a '94 g20 van but need more power - February 11th 2021 8:38 am
Originally Posted by NateB
Originally Posted by G20Hunter

v8

lol

Same engine as my '93. Sorry but they are dogs...only rated at 210HP/300ft lbs torque. It cruises along pretty nice though. Some day I'd like to put a 383 in it.

i am not used to the high rpm's (not sure exactly what rpm) at 75mph almost at max speed lol. it can be driven on long trips like that? is it known for overheating?
Posted By: G20Hunter Re: Test drove a '94 g20 van but need more power - February 11th 2021 8:41 am
Thank you! That's actually Penny's and only has 68K miles. It's got 3.42 gears as well. It's no 454 but will pull the camper well. Granted the camper only weighs about 2200 lbs loaded.
G20Hunter, if I had problems I would also suspect the knock sensor. It retards the timing during acceleration and if it goes blinky (that's a technical term) it can affect performance big time.

thats interesting i will keep that in mind thanks
Posted By: Rusty Pancelode Re: Test drove a '94 g20 van but need more power - February 11th 2021 5:39 pm
I don't know what rear end is in mine, but it doesn't wind up real bad on the highway and it scoots around town pretty good.
It's no hot rod, but I've never felt like it underperforms.
It is a cargo van with very little interior (just boards and insulation in the back), though.

I might have to go out and look at the RPO codes, because now I'm curious.
If you don't hear back from me it's because I froze over out there.
lol
Posted By: Rusty Pancelode Re: Test drove a '94 g20 van but need more power - February 11th 2021 6:34 pm
Well, I survived.
lol

Apparently, according to the axle code, mine's got the 3.08 axle ratio.
No wonder it likes to cruise along at 70 on the highway.
lol

Don't know what to tell you if you're disappointed with the performance of a van geared lower than mine.
Seems like there must be an issue somewhere, like Catfish suggested.
Posted By: CatFish Re: Test drove a '94 g20 van but need more power - February 11th 2021 6:51 pm
Converter could be partially blocked or if its the original old "pancake" catalytic converter that could be an issue as well.
Also if someones removed the converter, the old TBI systems just can't compensate enough fuel for free flowing exhaust and they will run lean.
Might check for codes from the ECM....
One more thing. Check the ignition timing. If it had to pass emissions in the past some mechanics will retard the initial timing to lower NOX readings.
Posted By: frscke1 Re: Test drove a '94 g20 van but need more power - February 11th 2021 9:47 pm
Converter could be partially blocked or if its the original old "pancake" catalytic converter that could be an issue as well.

This turned my 454 into a 227 .... no air thru = no power out
© Vannin' Community and Forums