Vannin' Home
Posted By: VanHilton91 Limited slip - January 09th 2021 8:38 pm
Hey Vanners,
I recently purchased a beauty '91 Chevy G20 conversion van. Hoping to do some traveling with her both on and off road.
My question is wheather a limited slip unit out of a 10 bolt 8.5 rear of a 2001 Chev Silverado would fit my 1991. Are the axle spines the same? Is an 8.5 an 8.5 regardless of year?
Thanks in advance for any input.
Posted By: frscke1 Re: Limited slip - January 09th 2021 10:42 pm
I dont think so the G series stopped in 94-95 and they redesigned the van and the Express series started... if they kept the same rear end IDK...

Oh and welcome to the site....
Posted By: DrCaldre Re: Limited slip - January 10th 2021 12:55 am
I'm honestly not sure either, and this is unsolicited advice, but new units aren't terribly expensive. If you're going to go through the trouble to do the job, why not put a freshie in? I thought it was somewhat complicated, and was planning to have a shop do it when I bought a unit for my 87'. I asked frscke if he likes the Eaton units he put it, but I don't think he saw my message. I'm assuming they're working great, spinning both tires, and haven't blown up.
Posted By: frscke1 Re: Limited slip - January 10th 2021 1:14 am
Eatons are a great unit ... thats what I have in my 92 that I race mustangs with ,,, yeah I like them.
Posted By: NateB Re: Limited slip - January 12th 2021 4:06 pm
I had a Detroit True-Trac put in my '93. Upgraded to 3.73 gears as well. I had a Jeep/4x4 shop do the install...holy frack was it expensive.
Posted By: Rusty Pancelode Re: Limited slip - January 12th 2021 5:24 pm
I don't know...
My van has unlimited slip.
lol
© Vannin' Community and Forums