Vannin' Home
Posted By: DrPop Didn't pass CA Smog check - help? - October 02nd 2012 8:36 pm
Well, CA smog check comes back with a fail - everything is good except for the NO PPM numbers. At 15MPH, the reading is 926 and the max allowed is 356. At 25MPH, the reading is 570 and the max allowed is 533.

Are the NO PPM numbers something a regular tune-up like plugs, wires, cap & rotor and an oil change would fix? Or are we talking something serious here? Man, I hope not...
Posted By: frscke1 Re: Didn't pass CA Smog check - help? - October 02nd 2012 10:31 pm
You need an O2 censor...

here is my report on a 454...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: wrcsixeight Re: Didn't pass CA Smog check - help? - October 02nd 2012 10:43 pm
A o2 sensor is a possibility, by no means conclusive.

read:

http://www.smogtips.com/failed-high-NO-nitrous-oxide.cfm
Posted By: DrPop Re: Didn't pass CA Smog check - help? - October 03rd 2012 2:04 pm
Hi and thanks for the advice. I am pretty sure the engine needs a tune-up at the very least, an oil change and probably an 02 sensor like you suggest. Hope it's not too hard to get to. smile
Tags are good til the 18th, so I have a couple weeks to get her done.

Couple questions if you guys don't mind? The guys over on the Astrosafari.com forum were saying I should pony up for iridium plugs because they will last a long time, and doing plugs in the Astro is a pain...also that I need to source 8mm wires, and possibly an Accel coil. Lastly, new cap and rotor should be brass.
Do you guys agree with that info, and/or have any additional thoughts or considerations to throw at me?
Thanks for your time as always,
Jed
Posted By: Uncle_Fester Re: Didn't pass CA Smog check - help? - October 04th 2012 5:36 am
I get the best mpg with good old AC Delco plugs in my Astro. The rest is not bad advice, brass cap is better than the cheaply aluminum ones, 8mm plug wires carry more spark, Accell coil is a hotter spark. . . .

I also have great luck with running BG Chem 44k in the tank about once every 25 k miles or so, cleans up the junk in the fuel system real nice, just put it In the tank and go. . .
Posted By: SaabGuy Re: Didn't pass CA Smog check - help? - October 04th 2012 9:16 am
Yep, tune-up including o2 sensor with good parts. Maybe check air filter and run some injector cleaner.
Posted By: wrcsixeight Re: Didn't pass CA Smog check - help? - October 04th 2012 9:37 am
Redline SL-1 or gumout regane or CRC guarantee to pass or techron are among the best fuel injector cleaners containing Poly ether amine which was basically a patent by chevron/techron.

Look into water decarbonization too, or if you want to get aggressive, and like smoke, try seafoam down the brake booster line, but do it before you change the 02 sensor(s).

Iridium plugs are like 8$ each minimum
Posted By: Bullet Re: Didn't pass CA Smog check - help? - October 04th 2012 12:36 pm
Ive used iridium plugs, if you want to put a set of plugs in once every 100k miles or so, iridium plugs are worth it in my opinion. Astro's aren't as hard to put plugs in as my full size, both with 4.3's. If you have the dough to spring for the 8.8 wires, it's a good investment but they will not fit your factory wire looms so figure on a way to tie them up. An Accel coil is a good purchase and a quality (not Autozone, Advance, O'Reilly house brand, Standard Ignition or AC Delco, see rockauto.com) distributor cap and rotor button. A couple cans of SeaFoam fuel system cleaner in two successive fill-ups. Don't forget to splurge for a good air filter too.

I had a supercharged Buick with 140k miles and the original iridium plugs. The wires were rotten and falling off, I pulled the plugs and they looked new, I put a new set of wires on it and when I sold it 20k miles later, it was still running perfect.
Posted By: Doc 2% of Canada, EH!!!! Re: Didn't pass CA Smog check - help? - November 05th 2012 5:08 pm
Originally Posted by DrPop
Well, CA smog check comes back with a fail - everything is good except for the NO PPM numbers. At 15MPH, the reading is 926 and the max allowed is 356. At 25MPH, the reading is 570 and the max allowed is 533.

Are the NO PPM numbers something a regular tune-up like plugs, wires, cap & rotor and an oil change would fix? Or are we talking something serious here? Man, I hope not...

My Astro failed because the wire to the temp sender was corroded...It told the ECU it was not at operating temperature and applied the choke making it run rich....It had been that while from the previous owner so I had to put a new cat in...
© Vannin' Community and Forums