Vannin' Home
Posted By: ah64pilot "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - September 08th 2021 5:17 am
Hello everyone! I'm new to the site, and to vans, but I'm not new to tinkering with automobiles. In fact my first love is my 1972 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme, the car I learned how to drive on and just never let go of. It's under a major renovation right now so we weren't really looking for another project but, with our second baby on the way, we needed a larger vehicle. After looking at a new Palisade we thought it might be better to get something more... Comfortable... Not to mention cheaper!

"Buckeye" is named in honor of it's original owner, now in his late 80's and unable to drive. It was originally bought as a retirement gift to himself so that he and his wife could travel to all of the Ohio State Buckeye games and to Florida for the winters. I'm glad it was garage kept and fairly well maintained, though with 101,379 miles it does have a few "needs." Here it is parked outside the National Corvette Museum in Bowling Green Kentucky on our way home from picking it up.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

That's a story in and of itself. We found it on Friday night, August 13, 2021. I saw it on Facebook marketplace for $9800. My heart jumped and I showed my wife. Her reaction said it all, and we weren't even contemplating a van! I messaged the seller and anxiously waited for a response. At one point I even thought it was a scam... But by Saturday morning I had paid a deposit and booked flights for zero-dark-thirty Sunday morning to go get it and drive it back to Austin. What a whirlwind, but what an exciting and fun trip! We took 3 days getting back, getting to know our new van, falling in love mile after mile.

Stay tuned as I try to get caught up with everything I've already done to it... We've had it almost a month and I think I've put about 2 months work into it. You'll see ;)
Posted By: ah64pilot Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - September 08th 2021 5:38 am
One of the first things I wanted to do was replace some of the burnt out instrument panel lights, particularly the shift indicator light. I'm used to column shift, I can feel it and know where I'm at without thinking... But dang, when you get off the "click" and can't feel if you're in overdrive or drive it helps to be able to just look down and confirm.

I'm a "might as well" insomniac who dreams about what can be improved on a car, as I'm sure you'll see. So instead of just replacing the bulbs I decided red LEDs (homage to my AH64D days) would help preserve night vision and also match the red van - or maybe priority should go to matching the van with the added benefit of preserving night vision. That's probably more accurate...

Anyway, one of the things I love about this thing is that I get to learn new things about a vehicle I've never owned. When you own a car for 26 years and restore it twice you pretty much know what you're gonna know about it. So with this project I just followed the advice I got from a YouTube video and went to the junk yard to get 194 bulb sockets (replaceable bulb sockets) from a 98-2003ish Chevy truck instrument panel. I didn't know that the bulbs in my panel were "replace entire assembly" but I'm happy these are so plentiful. I left the junk yard with enough sockets to last a lifetime, especially when using LEDs.

While I was there I saw some other conversions and went on a bit of a shopping spree to get trim that ours didn't have. One cool thing I found was this Coke bottle opener mounted on a back door. Unfortunately I had to crawl through the junk van to get it because the doors were locked but I think it was worth it. Matches our red van perfectly. I also got this map holder to use as a cell phone holder or whatever else fits snuggly inside.

I went ahead and pulled the door panel and stretched the fabric since we won't be replacing it for some time. Really only the back was loose, but I'll do others as needed.

And I mounted the map holder. I lined it with closed cell foam so I could put stuff in it without it rattling around...

Posted By: ah64pilot Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - September 08th 2021 5:59 am
Up next was shocks... The van was floating on it's original shocks. Did I mention this van is all original? So I installed 4 Bilstein's to get it under control.

It rides so much better now, although even after resetting both calipers it's still pulling to the left with any urgent braking. I guess I'm gonna have to do brakes next ;)

But first, let's throw on those new A/C Delco polyurethane sway bar bushings we ordered on a whim... Because, you know, you might as well...

Posted By: ah64pilot Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - September 08th 2021 6:23 am
One of the instrument panel "fixes" I performed was getting rid of the ABS light bulb since I can't get the part I need to fix the front passenger side wheel speed sensor. So to ensure the fault is permanent (and disables ABS) I got rid of the wires connecting the WSS to the dust shield. I unpinned the connector on the body and used weather pack seals to seal it off from the elements in case I ever decide to look for unobtainium again.

The same day I thought it might be nice to have a fresh transmission filter and some new fluid to reset the clock so to speak... Who knows when it was done last? Well, I guess I do now because I did it. And, because you might as well, I put a Hughes deep pan on it. Heat kills transmissions mkay, I had to 😂 Pro tip: wipe raw aluminum parts down with mineral spirits and coat with high heat automotive clear coat so they shine for a very long time. Grease wipes off with ease and it looks perpetually new.

Also, my books came in so I'm gonna make sure I torque everything to the proper spec... Except for transmission pan bolts. They get 13 ft/lbs because I know better than the manual. Lol

Here it is after install and wiped off after my filthy hands were all over it trying to get it into place. Fun fact, my 15 month old daughter hid one of the Energy Suspension transmission mount bolts for the trans mount on my '72 Cutlass (Wild Bill) - it takes two bolts at the crossmember, so I just used it on Buckeye because it only takes one. So new trans mount too, yay!

Posted By: ah64pilot Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - September 08th 2021 6:51 am
Well, when we picked it up I saw that the exhaust pipe was halfway blocked by the fiberglass flares but I didn't figure it would melt and crack so fast. Not to worry, I had another insomniac moment and came up with a solution. I cut it out and made space for a dual tip that I had ordered as soon as I hatched this idea...

I had also been dreaming, almost incessantly, about getting wheels and tires for this thing. The tires on it were fine, the tread was fine, but they were 15 years old (left). It was time for them to go...

Since I was a teenager I always wanted a set of these wheels... But they just weren't the look I was going for on Wild Bill. It's more of a pro touring car and needs modern rubber. But the van? Whoa buddy, the van is the perfect candidate for some Torq Thrust II's and some BFG's.

15x8 (3.75" BS) with 245/60r15 and 15x10 (3.77" BS) with 295/50r15 BFG Radial TAs. Sizes for future people who are interested...

Before:

After:

I figured the 5.7L 350 vin K engine could use a little help, it was struggling with the 29" tires on our way back from Ohio so I didn't doubt that the 27" 295/50 would help a little and it surely did. The thing at least gets off the line a little better now. It has a 3.42 gear, same as my Cutlass, and I run 305/35r18's on that, roughly the same diameter as the 295/50's and I know it works well on the street. Also, I'm not too fussed about keeping the floor surface level so we're going to do something about that front end ride height sooner rather than later...

And maybe we'll do something about that hub cap that won't fit because the brake rotor / hub sticks out too far. We can't have that with a new set of wheels.

Oh! And remember that fiberglass repair I did earlier? I hired a shop to cut the original catalytic converter off and install a 14" Magnaflow muffler in it's place. They also installed the tip I had ordered... It sounds incredible! So much more mellow than Wild Bill, but still just as beautiful!

Posted By: ah64pilot Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - September 08th 2021 7:14 am
Decided pretty early on that if the rotor reset didn't fix the brakes I was gonna fix the brakes...ALL of the brakes. Some of the new shiny parts include slotted and drilled rotors, CPP modular drop spindles, AC Delco Gold calipers and master cylinder, A1 Cardone hydroboost, gates power steering hoses, new drums, new drum cylinders, pads, shoes, hoses and, because I might as well... New energy suspension control arm bushings, AC Delco Gold ball joints, tie rod ends and coupler, and Moog idler and pitman arms.

I got it up on stands this morning and started pulling the front end apart. Peekaboo! Wild Bill in the background...

You'll notice the grill and headlight bezels are off. I ordered a grill because ours is cracked in the usual place but I can't really seem to find a GMC emblem that fits it because it's not really molded properly. No worry, we've got a plan to make a custom grill... More on that later.

Painting the headlight bezels to match the custom grill I'm making out of the new repop grill that's not exactly perfect... I'm picky, sorry. In fact they're sending me another because the ends of the first new one were cracked, go figure.

So here we are, up to date, with a load of parts headed off to sand blasting and powder coating in the morning...

Posted By: kursed Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - September 08th 2021 8:12 am
Good grief, the TX hoodlums are taking over the forum! lol

I just made three trips down there over the past year myself, love visiting TX. Wife is deployed down there, and I'm disabled vet, so I got to play Mr. Mommy for 13 months. Just thankful we got to go see her some on this deployment.

Gorgeous van and looks like it's in good hands. Thanks for sharing and make sure to keep us posted on future fun and travels.
Posted By: ah64pilot Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - September 08th 2021 12:41 pm
Originally Posted by kursed
Good grief, the TX hoodlums are taking over the forum! lol

I just made three trips down there over the past year myself, love visiting TX. Wife is deployed down there, and I'm disabled vet, so I got to play Mr. Mommy for 13 months. Just thankful we got to go see her some on this deployment.

Gorgeous van and looks like it's in good hands. Thanks for sharing and make sure to keep us posted on future fun and travels.

Hey thanks for your service! I'm a disabled vet as well, retired CW3, former AH64D Longbow pilot. Killeen isn't too far from us, we're in Round Rock (North Austin). If you ever need anything lmk, I love helping out fellow veterans.

There's plenty more to come as I am in the middle of the brakes overhaul and suspension overhaul. After those I'll have to cool it for a bit with the baby on the way 😅

When do I tell my wife about the LS swap? It's that a good push present? 🤣
Posted By: CatFish Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - September 08th 2021 12:43 pm
Our passenger side WSS was the same way. May be a common thing IDK. I reconnected the wiring and sealed it.
Nice work on the GMC. Got More Chrome.
Posted By: Meanmachine Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - September 08th 2021 2:26 pm
Nice work you are doing, van looks great, and Thank You for your service to our country.
Posted By: frscke1 Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - September 08th 2021 2:27 pm
What a NICE van ! ! work well done ... love that color . KUDO'S on the work preformed ..
Posted By: ah64pilot Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - September 08th 2021 3:06 pm
Originally Posted by CatFish
Our passenger side WSS was the same way. May be a common thing IDK. I reconnected the wiring and sealed it.
Nice work on the GMC. Got More Chrome.
Yeah, it looks like that fix had already been done once. There was no bracket holding the wires, though, so they were just rubbing the wheel. I could've fixed that but I'm salty that I can't order a new one (What can I say, I like my stuff to be nice) so I performed a "delete" 😂
Posted By: ah64pilot Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - September 08th 2021 3:06 pm
Originally Posted by Meanmachine
Nice work you are doing, van looks great, and Thank You for your service to our country.
Likewise!
Posted By: ah64pilot Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - September 08th 2021 3:10 pm
Originally Posted by frscke1
What a NICE van ! ! work well done ... love that color . KUDO'S on the work preformed ..
Thank you! I was thinking about adding the Monroe steering stabilizer after I get the front end back together. I'm curious to know how noticeable the difference was for you when you mounted them on your vans? (Yes, I'm a lurker) like, is it change your life noticeable or just a little cherry on top?
Posted By: frscke1 Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - September 08th 2021 4:02 pm
They help keep the long wheel base in line ... no wondering, you can take your hands off the wheel and you still go the same direction, NO drifting .... unless you you want to .... lol ... so you want a 454 in your van ? Ive driven a few vans with a 350 and then drive my BBC and there is no comparison ... NOTHING like when you put your foot down and you instantantly move .
Posted By: CatFish Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - September 08th 2021 5:04 pm
Check the new spindles before mounting. Dry fit bearings, rotors and calipers. Drop spindles can be "loose" with the specs.......don't ask me how I know. If you have deleted the ABS light then regular rotors will work fine. On our GMC I pulled the sensor ring off the old rotors and moved to the new cross drilled rotors. Saved about $100.
Keep the pics coming, we love pictures.
My2%
Posted By: ah64pilot Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - September 08th 2021 7:42 pm
They help keep the long wheel base in line ... no wondering, you can take your hands off the wheel and you still go the same direction, NO drifting .... unless you you want to .... lol ... so you want a 454 in your van ? Ive driven a few vans with a 350 and then drive my BBC and there is no comparison ... NOTHING like when you put your foot down and you instantantly move .
Well it sounds like I should order a set and see for myself. As for engine, I'm particular to big block Oldsmobiles... Wild Bill has a 468 that makes a measly (by today's standards) 600 hp. For the van I'm actually thinking about a turbo LS... Maybe a 5.3L. I really just wanna cruise and try to get above 20 mpg, so I would build it to do that, or come close.

If I don't do a turbo engine it'll probably be an LS3 crate motor and 6L80 or something. The sky is the limit really, just want it to be unique and fun. It's our daily family car though so I can't do THAT big of a change just yet. Gonna drive for a while and enjoy the new suspension.
Posted By: frscke1 Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - September 08th 2021 7:55 pm
VAN ON ! !
Posted By: ah64pilot Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - September 08th 2021 7:59 pm
Check the new spindles before mounting. Dry fit bearings, rotors and calipers. Drop spindles can be "loose" with the specs.......don't ask me how I know. If you have deleted the ABS light then regular rotors will work fine. On our GMC I pulled the sensor ring off the old rotors and moved to the new cross drilled rotors. Saved about $100.
Keep the pics coming, we love pictures.
My2%
Thanks for the tip! I pulled the ABS rings and drilled the ABS wire retainer rivet so I have clean dust shields now. Just need to clean and paint. I ordered the Powerstop rotor and pad kit, came with these rotors and matching pads, looks like I might be good...

Posted By: CatFish Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - September 08th 2021 9:08 pm
You know, a van makes an excellent family tow vehicle when properly equipped. With a couple of little ones to raise, you never know, a guy just might wanna pull a camper some day...... grin
Posted By: frscke1 Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - September 08th 2021 11:14 pm
My '92 has a tow pak bolted N wired .. My '93 4X doesnt ...
Posted By: ah64pilot Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - September 09th 2021 2:51 am
You know, a van makes an excellent family tow vehicle when properly equipped. With a couple of little ones to raise, you never know, a guy just might wanna pull a camper some day...... grin
🤣 That was the reason for the van, so we DIDN'T have to pull a camper lol! But yeah, we really wanna get out on the road... Excited to get it driving better than new.
Posted By: frscke1 Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - September 09th 2021 3:11 am
It could be a Starcraft pop up Red stripped tent trailer ...

Kids in the camper parents in the van ...privacy
Posted By: ah64pilot Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - September 09th 2021 4:41 am
It could be a Starcraft pop up Red stripped tent trailer ...

Kids in the camper parents in the van ...privacy
Yeah the camping plan is mom and kids in the tent, dad in the van... Now I just need to install a shore power connection and a window unit 😂
Posted By: Rusty Pancelode Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - September 10th 2021 4:24 am
Good grief, the TX hoodlums are taking over the forum!... lol

Easy there, Tiger.
lol

Man, Ah64pilot...
You need to slow down a little on your van.
You're going to fix it all up in just a couple of days.
lol

Looks like it's coming along really well.
Posted By: ah64pilot Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - September 10th 2021 6:34 am
Originally Posted by Rusty Pancelode
Good grief, the TX hoodlums are taking over the forum!... lol

Easy there, Tiger.
lol

Man, Ah64pilot...
You need to slow down a little on your van.
You're going to fix it all up in just a couple of days.
lol

Looks like it's coming along really well.
Hahaha! That's the point! Baby due in February, this is the only vehicle we'll all fit in so whatever I'm gonna do I gotta do it before the baby comes lol!

What part of Texas? I need a van mentor lol
Posted By: ah64pilot Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - September 10th 2021 6:40 am
Today was cleaning and painting mostly... Cosmetic stuff.

I was waiting for other stuff to dry so I messed around with a silver flake paint pen and detailed the branding on the spindles. I'm dumb, I know 😂

Painted the calipers and measured for stickers - going to have our names on each side of the front calipers. My wife hates driving so mine will be on the driver's side.

Cleaning

Oh hey! Look! The new grille arrived today!

Let's cut it up shall we?

It's late, I'll do the other side tomorrow...

Posted By: Rusty Pancelode Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - September 10th 2021 4:26 pm
Originally Posted by ah64pilot
Hahaha! That's the point! Baby due in February, this is the only vehicle we'll all fit in so whatever I'm gonna do I gotta do it before the baby comes lol!

What part of Texas? I need a van mentor lol

I remember trying to get a whole bunch of stuff done before my son was born.
The main thing was selling my pony car and buying an SUV.
That fixed the vehicle issue.
lol

I'm way up here Northwest of DFW, and I'd be a terrible van mentor, as I need one myself.
lol

I do have some advice, though.
Whatever you do to make your van more usable for the baby, make sure to account for how fast babies grow.
You might spend a lot of time figuring out how to mount car seats effectively only to turn around and have your teenager asking you for money.
lol
Posted By: kursed Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - September 10th 2021 5:47 pm
Stickers on the calipers? I'm just wondering how they'll hold up with the heat and stuff.

Anxious to see how this grill comes out, looking great so far.

You might spend a lot of time figuring out how to mount car seats effectively only to turn around and have your teenager asking you for money.
lol

+1 to what Rusty said. My God it feels like just yesterday mine were babies, they're now 10, 15, and 16. UGH! The past 16 years was a blur.
Posted By: CatFish Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - September 10th 2021 8:53 pm
Hauling Babies? We haul grandbabies and sometimes great-grandbabies in the Chevy. The GMC is for mine and Momma's fun...... yay
Posted By: CatFish Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - September 10th 2021 9:00 pm
I hope you're planning on upgrading the headlights. The 4701 and 03's are some of the worst headlamps to get any real light out of 'em.
Posted By: ah64pilot Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - September 11th 2021 5:23 am
Stickers on the calipers? I'm just wondering how they'll hold up with the heat and stuff.

Anxious to see how this grill comes out, looking great so far.

lol

+1 to what Rusty said. My God it feels like just yesterday mine were babies, they're now 10, 15, and 16. UGH! The past 16 years was a blur.
I'll spare you the gritty details... The grill is done, finally.

Also, I feel it's only fair that I'm 41 with a 28 year old wife. This is our second baby coming in February. But I do have two older sons, 14 & 18. I just happen to be lucky enough to do it twice... And this time I can appreciate it and enjoy the ride.
Posted By: ah64pilot Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - September 11th 2021 5:25 am
Hauling Babies? We haul grandbabies and sometimes great-grandbabies in the Chevy. The GMC is for mine and Momma's fun...... yay
Maybe we should start looking for a second van...
Posted By: ah64pilot Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - September 11th 2021 5:27 am
I hope you're planning on upgrading the headlights. The 4701 and 03's are some of the worst headlamps to get any real light out of 'em.
I noticed that. I thought about doing LEDs, I've already got LEDs in the turn signals, brakes, etc so it makes sense, I just don't know which are the good ones (type) to get. I'll have to do more research...

Got any suggestions?
Posted By: ah64pilot Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - September 11th 2021 5:32 am
Well, I got some lenses in the mail and was so excited I threw them on for pics but I've got to take them off and glue the chrome trim on with some epoxy...I keep being told that they will fall off because the glue used in manufacturing isn't durable enough. So these will be coming off tomorrow to get epoxied.

And this took all day, cutting, sanding, painting, finding fasteners at 2 different hardware stores... I'll save you the details. The grille is done:

Goodnight smile
Posted By: CatFish Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - September 11th 2021 11:12 am
Like the grille.
Be sure the rear lights have a good gasket and seal well. They can leak in the rain and soak your interior.
Posted By: ah64pilot Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - September 11th 2021 1:43 pm
Like the grille.
Be sure the rear lights have a good gasket and seal well. They can leak in the rain and soak your interior.
They came with one, looks to be a closed cell foam gasket...idk how good is gonna work but I'll keep an eye on the carpet around that area after the next rain to make sure it's competent.
Posted By: kursed Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - September 11th 2021 2:24 pm
Grille and lights look great.

Yep, I've bought numerous sets of the aftermarket "deluxe" side marker lenses from eBay, Amazon, and even dedicated truck parts suppliers for 67-72 C & K series trucks. I've owned about 15 of those trucks over the years. They all eventually have one or two, sometimes all four, in the set that loose the chrome trim. I put that info out on one of the vanner groups on Facebook a couple years ago, guy argued with me and said he pulled on them and they felt fine, that I was just trying to get him to ruin his by bending the chrome. He apologized a few months later when his chrome trim flew off going down the road as it always does. I love those things, but I'm thinking about making custom markers for the QAR van just so I don't have to deal with the darn things and can have something unique.
Posted By: ah64pilot Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - September 11th 2021 4:07 pm
Cheese and rice the weather is great in Austin today ... we're having some beautiful fall weather in September, I can't believe it! Perfect day to hang a grille...

I think I'm gonna enjoy some family time today, I'll hit it hard again tomorrow. Gotta get the hydroboost and master cylinder hung so when the powder coat stuff is done I'm ready to hang calipers etc.

Cheers all!
Posted By: ah64pilot Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - September 11th 2021 4:09 pm
Grille and lights look great.

Yep, I've bought numerous sets of the aftermarket "deluxe" side marker lenses from eBay, Amazon, and even dedicated truck parts suppliers for 67-72 C & K series trucks. I've owned about 15 of those trucks over the years. They all eventually have one or two, sometimes all four, in the set that loose the chrome trim. I put that info out on one of the vanner groups on Facebook a couple years ago, guy argued with me and said he pulled on them and they felt fine, that I was just trying to get him to ruin his by bending the chrome. He apologized a few months later when his chrome trim flew off going down the road as it always does. I love those things, but I'm thinking about making custom markers for the QAR van just so I don't have to deal with the darn things and can have something unique.

I bought a Gorilla glue 2 part epoxy to glue them on with... Do you think that's enough or is it a regular maintenance item that should be redone periodically?
Posted By: newkirkinc1 Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - September 11th 2021 4:20 pm
Looks great!
Posted By: ah64pilot Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - September 11th 2021 4:35 pm
Originally Posted by newkirkinc1
Looks great!

Thank you!
Posted By: lukester Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - September 11th 2021 4:46 pm
Looks great.
My oldest son has those deluxe side maker lights on his van. We used a toothpick to run a small amount of super glue. He hasn't had any trouble. It's been a few years now.
Posted By: frscke1 Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - September 11th 2021 5:16 pm
Well, I got some lenses in the mail and was so excited I threw them on for pics but I've got to take them off and glue the chrome trim on with some epoxy...I keep being told that they will fall off because the glue used in manufacturing isn't durable enough. So these will be coming off tomorrow to get epoxied.

And this took all day, cutting, sanding, painting, finding fasteners at 2 different hardware stores... I'll save you the details. The grille is done:

Goodnight smile

Love those side markers ... part of a Nomad package. again KUDO'S on the work !
Posted By: Rusty Pancelode Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - September 11th 2021 5:16 pm
I've got those marker lights on my van and on my '72 C20.
On my van, the stainless trim pops off like it's a feature...
On the C20, they stay on really well.
I think all of them are the same brand, purchased within a couple of years of each other, from the same vendor.
I have no idea why the ones on the pickup stay together.
Posted By: ah64pilot Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - September 11th 2021 5:21 pm
Originally Posted by lukester
Looks great.
My oldest son has those deluxe side maker lights on his van. We used a toothpick to run a small amount of super glue. He hasn't had any trouble. It's been a few years now.
Did you pop the chrome off first or just add the glue around the edges?
Posted By: kursed Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - September 12th 2021 2:25 am
I bought a Gorilla glue 2 part epoxy to glue them on with... Do you think that's enough or is it a regular maintenance item that should be redone periodically?

That should be fine. It doesn't really take much, the factory in Taiwan or wherever they all come from just uses absolute garbage. I think Elmers glue would hold up better than the crap they use. lol I always pop the trim off and just hit mine with a few dabs of super glue all around, then pop the trim back on. Every once in a while you'll find one or two pieces of trim that are stuck on well, so just be careful.

Man that grill looks outstanding. What an improvement.
Posted By: ah64pilot Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - September 12th 2021 2:43 am
I think all of them are the same brand, purchased within a couple of years of each other, from the same vendor.
These are OER (Original Equipment Reproductions or something like that) and the trim is impossible for me to get off by hand. I'm a little afraid to take a screwdriver to it so I might just try to dab some super glue along the chrome trim and see if that helps them stay on longer. We'll see.
Posted By: ah64pilot Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - September 12th 2021 2:50 am

That should be fine. It doesn't really take much, the factory in Taiwan or wherever they all come from just uses absolute garbage. I think Elmers glue would hold up better than the crap they use. lol I always pop the trim off and just hit mine with a few dabs of super glue all around, then pop the trim back on. Every once in a while you'll find one or two pieces of trim that are stuck on well, so just be careful.

Man that grill looks outstanding. What an improvement.

I am so happy to be done with that thing...it's worth the effort I think, especially seeing how well you all received it, but sheesh, I don't wanna do that again for a while.

Also, the company that sent me the repop grille has sent me 3 in all... The first two were cracked at the ears, the third is supposed to be inspected and repackaged so they won't crack. They haven't ask for any of them back...I cut up the second one because I didn't know I was getting the third, so now I have a spare that's good and another that's cracked. Not bad cracks, just not perfect. Oh well, if anyone needs one lmk.
Posted By: Rusty Pancelode Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - September 12th 2021 3:11 am
These are OER (Original Equipment Reproductions or something like that) and the trim is impossible for me to get off by hand. I'm a little afraid to take a screwdriver to it so I might just try to dab some super glue along the chrome trim and see if that helps them stay on longer. We'll see.

I'm pretty sure that's what mine are, too.
Put them on a pickup... They'll last for years.
lol
Posted By: ah64pilot Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - September 12th 2021 3:24 am

I'm pretty sure that's what mine are, too.
Put them on a pickup... They'll last for years.
lol
LMAO they must known they've been pimped out on a van and try to make a break for it 😂
Posted By: Rusty Pancelode Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - September 13th 2021 1:10 am
lol
Posted By: ah64pilot Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - September 14th 2021 7:21 am
Well today I finally got around to the primary reason I pulled all of this front end apart and started pulling the master cylinder and hydroboost, and disconnecting power steering hoses. When I got to the reservoir I figured I "might as well" clean it up a little bit so I pulled it. For now it's the cleanest thing under the hood. Until tomorrow.

When I got down to the power steering pump I just couldn't put new hoses on that crusty leaking pump so I went and got a new one. While I was at it I got this tool that you should never, ever buy. What a POS

To pull the pulley I had to resort to holding the jaws with a hose clamp, the ring wouldn't hold tight enough and was gouging the lip of the pulley.

To put the pulley back on the bolt and nut stripped out completely as soon as it got a little tension.

Amazing how a crap tool can make a simple job take hours. Ended up making my own out of grade 8 bolt and nut with a thick washer.

Once that was taken care of I could finally get back to the hydroboost except that my 16 month old daughter was hanging outside with me and lost my pedal return spring. I finally found it in the street... Lucky someone didn't run over it.

There you go little buddy, right where you belong now

Finally I could get back to installing the hydroboost...

Except that's not a pic of installing. It's a pic of removal... I'll install it tomorrow, it's way too late thanks to this freaking asshole:

Eff you General Motors. Goodnight.
Posted By: Rusty Pancelode Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - September 14th 2021 4:28 pm
Wow.
That tool sucks!
I bought one about 100 years ago at Harbor Freight...
It's worked fine every time (and it came with a case).
Just goes to show you never can tell about tools.
Posted By: CatFish Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - September 14th 2021 7:30 pm
Ah. The brake rod clip.
Does the brake light switch mount to the pin on the pedal? Royal PITA!!!
My '94 was that way and I swapped the switch for (IIRC) a '78 Camaro switch because the old slide-in mount was still in place. Works great but I don't have cruise on the "94. Chevy changed the pedal lever for '95. Next time you get a chance measure the distance between the brake pedal and the side of the doghouse. The '95 and up have an extra inch because GM decided a manual w/clutch would no longer be offered and so there would be room to move the brake pedal 1 inch to the left. (a little nickel knowledge there laugh )
Posted By: CatFish Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - September 14th 2021 7:45 pm
Take heart. Your preponderance of perplexing pulley pulling problems could have been worse.

This happened to me on our old Ford a few years back..

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

mad
Posted By: kursed Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - September 15th 2021 2:42 am
Gotta love frustrating junk tools. The kiddo loosing the spring in the street is hilarious though. Not to laugh at your misfortune, glad you found it, just funny because I have totally been in similar situations with mine many times. Good times man.
Posted By: ah64pilot Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - September 15th 2021 5:49 am
Wow.
That tool sucks!
I bought one about 100 years ago at Harbor Freight...
It's worked fine every time (and it came with a case).
Just goes to show you never can tell about tools.
Yeah I have a buddy with one like that. He swears by it. This one barely took the pulley off let alone put it back on. Crappy material.
Posted By: ah64pilot Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - September 15th 2021 5:52 am
Ah. The brake rod clip.
Does the brake light switch mount to the pin on the pedal? Royal PITA!!!
My '94 was that way and I swapped the switch for (IIRC) a '78 Camaro switch because the old slide-in mount was still in place. Works great but I don't have cruise on the "94. Chevy changed the pedal lever for '95. Next time you get a chance measure the distance between the brake pedal and the side of the doghouse. The '95 and up have an extra inch because GM decided a manual w/clutch would no longer be offered and so there would be room to move the brake pedal 1 inch to the left. (a little nickel knowledge there laugh )
Yep, light switch mounted to the rod. It's those damn tangs on the sides that get you. Warren I reinstalled it today I broke those off so that next time it'll be a one screwdriver type of deal.

This one has cruise so I'm gonna keep the switch where it is. And I guess it's dumb luck that I ended up in a '95... Good thing with my leg and all. At 6'2" I need all the extra leg room I can get.
Posted By: ah64pilot Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - September 15th 2021 5:54 am
Take heart. Your preponderance of perplexing pulley pulling problems could have been worse.

This happened to me on our old Ford a few years back..

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

mad
shocked OMG! That would suck...
Posted By: SDMickey Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - September 15th 2021 6:10 am
Nice van . So many nice upgrades in such a short time.
Posted By: ah64pilot Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - September 15th 2021 2:28 pm
Originally Posted by SDMickey
Thank you! It's hard to draw the line at what should and shouldn't get fixed / improved so I generally redo entire systems at one time. In this case it was brakes and front suspension. Looking forward to enjoying it for a while after this is done.
Posted By: Rusty Pancelode Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - September 15th 2021 8:46 pm
Thank you! It's hard to draw the line at what should and shouldn't get fixed / improved so I generally redo entire systems at one time. In this case it was brakes and front suspension. Looking forward to enjoying it for a while after this is done.

I hear that...
I get lost in the fun of it sometimes.
I bought a cheap Subaru to tinker with at the first of the year.
I pulled the front wheels off to check the brake pads, and by the time the wheels went back on, it had Brembo drilled rotors, Brembo pads, and sandblasted and painted caliper brackets.
Oh, and the wheels that went back on were new Sparcos.
lol
Posted By: frscke1 Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - September 15th 2021 8:52 pm
There never done ! some people have been at a project 30 yrs ...lol
Posted By: kursed Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - September 16th 2021 12:51 am
I can't wait to get to that point with mine, just be glad to get her big arse out of my garage for now lol
Posted By: ah64pilot Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - September 18th 2021 2:32 am
Well, I got my parts back from powder coat yesterday and they look fantastic! Only problem is I was so excited to get it together that I worked into the night and never thought to take a picture of it all laid out. It's no matter, I ran into the brake hose road block catfish warned me about so I woke up bright and early to get a set of hoses for a 1995 G3500 Vandura. Worked like a charm...

I thought I might need to tweak the metal part of the hoses so I preemptively got a better tubing bender than the old worn out junk I had. I have the Titan 3/16" brake line flaring tool and cannot speak highly enough about it so I figured I'd give this a try.

Fortunately it wasn't needed and the hoses went on with only slight massaging, mostly to the frame mounts and upper control arm brackets. Both sides are finished but I'm single dadding this week and duty called. I'll snap a better picture tomorrow morning in the daylight. Looks pretty cool though...I think anyway

Posted By: ah64pilot Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - September 18th 2021 2:38 am

I hear that...
I get lost in the fun of it sometimes.
I bought a cheap Subaru to tinker with at the first of the year.
I pulled the front wheels off to check the brake pads, and by the time the wheels went back on, it had Brembo drilled rotors, Brembo pads, and sandblasted and painted caliper brackets.
Oh, and the wheels that went back on were new Sparcos.
lol
This resonates so deeply, you have no idea 🤣

In 2018 I bought a 2004 Outback LL Bean edition with the H6 engine with 194,000 miles for $1000. In all the time I owned it my only onedrive was to keep it going. Battery cable, O2 sensor, and rear brake line patch after it damn near killed me on the freeway... Other than that I never did anything to it. I sold it earlier this year for $3000.

I was DEVASTATED letting it go. I freaking LOVED that car. The ability to not GAF about a car is true freedom. I had to sell it because we downsized and didn't need the extra car. Now here we are with a van 😆

I'll never sell the van though 😉
Posted By: ah64pilot Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - September 18th 2021 2:45 am
There never done ! some people have been at a project 30 yrs ...lol
Like me with my Cutlass. Dad got it when I was 10. Helped him change the head gaskets the day he got it. Now it's sitting in my garage waiting on the heads to be finished so we can boogie with a 600 horsepower fuel injected 455 Olds
Posted By: ah64pilot Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - September 18th 2021 2:46 am
I can't wait to get to that point with mine, just be glad to get her big arse out of my garage for now lol
My garage isn't big enough for the van 😢
Posted By: ah64pilot Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - September 18th 2021 7:29 am
Ok well, pulled another late night (baby gets a few hours in the evenings so best time to work is when she's asleep). Got it all buttoned up, lubed, power steering / hydroboost are bled and no leaks... Gotta finish bleeding the brakes tomorrow and we'll drop it down. Gonna be looooow! I can't wait!

I have to decide whether I want to grind on the lower control arm or move the wheel weights outboard by about 1/16" - the latter is more tempting, but I'd have to get new weights I'm sure...

What do you think?

Posted By: kursed Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - September 18th 2021 2:36 pm
I'd go for the weights before grinding that arm while you already have the wheels off. Dyna Beads work great too if you've never tried them. I use them on my Harley and have used them on my 2000 Jeep XJ with 31x10.50-15 BFG Mud Terrains. They worked amazing on that too.

Dyna Bead Link
Posted By: tuner4life Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - September 18th 2021 3:32 pm
You'll have to grind the arm anyways because it will hit the wheel at steering lock if you don't.. Even if you move the weights. You'll find that you need to move the weights and also grind the arms..
Posted By: 1983G20Van Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - September 18th 2021 4:29 pm
I know that feeling all too well. I will say though, find a rear sway bar and install it. Helps the big box of a van drive much more comfortably at highway speeds and track better in cross wind.
Posted By: CatFish Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - September 18th 2021 8:52 pm
I've seen the step-side guys run spacers but I'm no fan of spacers at all..... crazy
Posted By: ah64pilot Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - September 18th 2021 9:55 pm
I'd go for the weights before grinding that arm while you already have the wheels off. Dyna Beads work great too if you've never tried them. I use them on my Harley and have used them on my 2000 Jeep XJ with 31x10.50-15 BFG Mud Terrains. They worked amazing on that too.

Dyna Bead Link
This is good to know... For now I just had them rebalanced using low profile lead weights on the outer edge of the wheel. It comes close at full lock but doesn't rub so I think I'm good. We'll see if that changes after an alignment.
Posted By: ah64pilot Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - September 18th 2021 9:58 pm
Originally Posted by tuner4life
You'll have to grind the arm anyways because it will hit the wheel at steering lock if you don't.. Even if you move the weights. You'll find that you need to move the weights and also grind the arms..
For now it looks ok. Low profile clip on lead weights did the trick. At full right lock it's REALLY close but at full lock I won't be moving fast. If I lose a weight it looks like I'll get the dyna beads. I wonder how much different the CPP spindles are than the ones you used?

Without the lead weight I've got 1/16" clearance on both sides at full lock.
Posted By: ah64pilot Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - September 18th 2021 10:00 pm
Originally Posted by 1983G20Van
I know that feeling all too well. I will say though, find a rear sway bar and install it. Helps the big box of a van drive much more comfortably at highway speeds and track better in cross wind.
You have any recommendations? Hellwig stopped making them. I might try mounting a BMR anti roll bar for my '72 Cutlass (GM A-body) on the van. Attached to the axle and frame forward of the axle. We'll see.
Posted By: ah64pilot Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - September 18th 2021 10:03 pm
I've seen the step-side guys run spacers but I'm no fan of spacers at all..... crazy
Nah, that's a disaster waiting to happen. I think I'm good for now, if it's still ok after the alignment then I'll be happy.
Posted By: 1983G20Van Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - September 18th 2021 11:20 pm
I think add co still makes one. Mine on my 83 are Hellwig, front and rear. The front and rear on my 97 are also Hellwig. On the 97 the bars are massive. 1-1/2" front and 1-3/8" rear. I forget the dimensions on the 83, but I want to say 1-3/8" front and 1" rear but that van is 1,000 lbs lighter.
Posted By: ah64pilot Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - September 18th 2021 11:38 pm
I think add co still makes one. Mine on my 83 are Hellwig, front and rear. The front and rear on my 97 are also Hellwig. On the 97 the bars are massive. 1-1/2" front and 1-3/8" rear. I forget the dimensions on the 83, but I want to say 1-3/8" front and 1" rear but that van is 1,000 lbs lighter.
I ordered a Hellwig for the front but they cancelled the order because they said they weren't making them anymore. Idk... Seems like a shame we can't get aftermarket parts for these things.

I thought I read somewhere that the Addco rear sway bar want very effective because it wasn't big enough... Can't remember where though.
Posted By: CatFish Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - September 19th 2021 12:27 am
Call SD. If nothing else maybe they can send you the dimensions and pics.

https://www.sdtrucksprings.com/inde...tQUNip_v4WtHB27vQD5HMjznBCUaAlTLEALw_wcB

The brackets are the big deal.....
Posted By: ah64pilot Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - September 19th 2021 2:05 am
Call SD. If nothing else maybe they can send you the dimensions and pics.

https://www.sdtrucksprings.com/inde...tQUNip_v4WtHB27vQD5HMjznBCUaAlTLEALw_wcB

The brackets are the big deal.....
I had a set of rear leaf springs on order with them. When I placed the order they told me they didn't actually have that Hellwig sway bar in stock... In fact from what I can tell most of what they sell is drop ship.

I guess it's all pretty irrelevant if you use heim joints and threaded rod to attach it to the frame... Really just need the bar and brackets to mount to rear diff. From there you can fab the rest pretty easily.
Posted By: 1983G20Van Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - September 19th 2021 4:17 am
I ordered a Hellwig for the front but they cancelled the order because they said they weren't making them anymore. Idk... Seems like a shame we can't get aftermarket parts for these things.

I thought I read somewhere that the Addco rear sway bar want very effective because it wasn't big enough... Can't remember where though.

So measured the Hellwig bars and they are BOTH 1-1/8". Sucks forgetting things you last worked on 15 years ago.

That being said Addco makes a 1-1/8" rear bar.

https://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=23567

EDIT-Searching the part number lead me back here. Lots of detailed pics.
https://www.vanning.com/threads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=289941

The factory rear bar on my 99 OBS Tahoe is 3/4" and my brothers 99 OBS Suburban had the same bar. My Tahoe has the 1-7/8" factory front bar and my brothers Suburban had the 1-3/8" front bar. Both 2wd setups. Tahoe has alot less body roll than the longer/heavier suburban. GM did some dumb things suspension wise. My Tahoe was a LT model with the Z-56 suspension option which was the same as a Police Tahoe or Limited and also ordered with the upgraded brakes from the same model. Tahoe also came factory with aggressively valved Bilstiens although they have since been replaced by even bigger piston KYB Monomax shocks. Larger bore master and larger 8800 GVW front calipers with the 2.75" wide rear drums. Suburban had the smaller front brake calipers on it. IMO ALL of the GM trucks, SUV and van models should have had the largest front calipers avaliable and hydroboost but that is just me. Shortest stopping distance possible is a good thing. The fact GM still builds a 2022 Express without even a rear sway bar should be criminal!
Posted By: ah64pilot Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - September 21st 2021 2:15 pm

So measured the Hellwig bars and they are BOTH 1-1/8". Sucks forgetting things you last worked on 15 years ago.

That being said Addco makes a 1-1/8" rear bar.

https://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=23567

EDIT-Searching the part number lead me back here. Lots of detailed pics.
https://www.vanning.com/threads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=289941

The factory rear bar on my 99 OBS Tahoe is 3/4" and my brothers 99 OBS Suburban had the same bar. My Tahoe has the 1-7/8" factory front bar and my brothers Suburban had the 1-3/8" front bar. Both 2wd setups. Tahoe has alot less body roll than the longer/heavier suburban. GM did some dumb things suspension wise. My Tahoe was a LT model with the Z-56 suspension option which was the same as a Police Tahoe or Limited and also ordered with the upgraded brakes from the same model. Tahoe also came factory with aggressively valved Bilstiens although they have since been replaced by even bigger piston KYB Monomax shocks. Larger bore master and larger 8800 GVW front calipers with the 2.75" wide rear drums. Suburban had the smaller front brake calipers on it. IMO ALL of the GM trucks, SUV and van models should have had the largest front calipers avaliable and hydroboost but that is just me. Shortest stopping distance possible is a good thing. The fact GM still builds a 2022 Express without even a rear sway bar should be criminal!
After researching the Addco I'm not impressed with the way it attaches to the springs. I think I'm going to try to modify a BMR GM A body anti roll bar that mounts to differential tubes and frame:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/bmr-xsb006h/make/oldsmobile/model/cutlass-supreme/year/1972
Posted By: ah64pilot Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - September 21st 2021 2:26 pm
Took it to get aligned yesterday right before our road trip to Dallas and wow! It's so much better!

While it was in the air I did notice the clip on weights were boogered up from hitting the control arms at lock (the guy aligning it wasn't as careful at lock as I was) so while my wife was auditioning for the Dallas symphony my daughter and I ran to discount tire to have the front wheels balanced yet again, this time with sticky weights placed in the middle of the wheel - worked like a charm.

While we were there we checked in getting a new spare tire and I'm glad we did, the pull off was dated 1994 - older than the van and only a year younger than my wife. No pics, sorry, we were in a rush to pick up momma.

But she did let us run to Mecca to grab poly upper bump stops. Overall I'm very happy with the way it turned out and am super happy with the way it drives, better than a new car. There is a little more road feel, so it ruined the cushy conversion van ride but I like it better, I'm more used to that feeling than the sloppy floating feeling from before.

Posted By: Meanmachine Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - September 21st 2021 3:03 pm
Beautiful ride you have there.
Posted By: 1983G20Van Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - September 21st 2021 4:03 pm
Took it to get aligned yesterday right before our road trip to Dallas and wow! It's so much better!

While it was in the air I did notice the clip on weights were boogered up from hitting the control arms at lock (the guy aligning it wasn't as careful at lock as I was) so while my wife was auditioning for the Dallas symphony my daughter and I ran to discount tire to have the front wheels balanced yet again, this time with sticky weights placed in the middle of the wheel - worked like a charm.

While we were there we checked in getting a new spare tire and I'm glad we did, the pull off was dated 1994 - older than the van and only a year younger than my wife. No pics, sorry, we were in a rush to pick up momma.

But she did let us run to Mecca to grab poly upper bump stops. Overall I'm very happy with the way it turned out and am super happy with the way it drives, better than a new car. There is a little more road feel, so it ruined the cushy conversion van ride but I like it better, I'm more used to that feeling than the sloppy floating feeling from before.

Good deal! That over cushy, sloppy handling is dangerous IMO.

Just noticed that your Y-pipe has a completely different design than the 92 G20 I had. The one on yours looks tiny and the merge looks terrible by comparison. Reminds me of the ones on the TBI trucks. In fact your manifolds look to be GMT400 truck manifolds with smaller exits too. Bet it is choking the life out of your 350 even if it is stock. I had a high flow cat, magnaflow muffler, a hypertech powerbowl and ultimate TBI moded the TBI on the 92 I had. Used an adjustable fuel pressure regulator with the pressure set at 14 psi and set the initial timing on the distributor at 6° BTDC.
Posted By: CatFish Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - September 21st 2021 5:01 pm

Just noticed that your Y-pipe has a completely different design than the 92 G20 I had. The one on yours looks tiny and the merge looks terrible by comparison. Reminds me of the ones on the TBI trucks. In fact your manifolds look to be GMT400 truck manifolds with smaller exits too. Bet it is choking the life out of your 350 even if it is stock. I had a high flow cat, magnaflow muffler, a hypertech powerbowl and ultimate TBI moded the TBI on the 92 I had. Used an adjustable fuel pressure regulator with the pressure set at 14 psi and set the initial timing on the distributor at 6° BTDC.

I have the same restrictive Y-pipe/Cat on our "95 G20 (the missing Cat) but I have a plan. The left side manifold and Walker Y-pipe for a '95 G30 along with a hi-flow Cat should fix the problem. In fact, I already have the parts. Just need some new 454 injectors and time to do the swap. smile
Posted By: ah64pilot Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - September 21st 2021 5:06 pm
Beautiful ride you have there.
Thank you very much!
Posted By: ah64pilot Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - September 21st 2021 5:08 pm

Yeah the first step was fixing the rest of the exhaust from the Y pipe back. I wanted them to build a custom y pipe using the Flowmaster y pipe collector but the shop I was at wanted to much for that extra but of work. The plan now is too roll with it for a year or two until I put an LS in it.

But idk, if I get bored I might fix this issue before then ... Who knows.
Posted By: ah64pilot Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - September 21st 2021 5:26 pm

I have the same restrictive Y-pipe/Cat on our "95 G20 (the missing Cat) but I have a plan. The left side manifold and Walker Y-pipe for a '95 G30 along with a hi-flow Cat should fix the problem. In fact, I already have the parts. Just need some new 454 injectors and time to do the swap. smile
I just returned a Walker 40342 that didn't fit my 350... Maybe you'll have better luck with the BBC. The manifold ends weren't at the right angle for mine.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...ke/gmc/model/g3500/engine-type/v8?page=2

I settled for getting the cat out of there for now. When I either redo the y pipe or LS swap it I'll end up with high flow cat or cats and true duals.
Posted By: CatFish Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - September 21st 2021 5:37 pm
The right side manifold will work with the 40342 but I'll have to swap the left side. The G30 left side manifold for the 5.7 should work. Never could figure out why the G20 and G30 had different left side manifolds unless they had different smog requirements(?). I'll get around to finding out if that swap will work one day.

The 454 injectors are just for a little more fuel as needed by the ecm.
Posted By: CatFish Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - September 21st 2021 8:27 pm
Sorry guys, didn't mean to chase a rabbit there.
The van is looking very nice! Good to hear it's driving as well as it looks.
If you get a chance, share the part numbers on the shocks please.
Posted By: Rusty Pancelode Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - September 21st 2021 11:29 pm
If I'd known you were coming up, I could have made a run to Summit.
Are they letting people go inside yet?
Posted By: ah64pilot Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - September 22nd 2021 2:50 am
The right side manifold will work with the 40342 but I'll have to swap the left side. The G30 left side manifold for the 5.7 should work. Never could figure out why the G20 and G30 had different left side manifolds unless they had different smog requirements(?). I'll get around to finding out if that swap will work one day.

The 454 injectors are just for a little more fuel as needed by the ecm.
Yeah that will be interesting. Please share what you did because I ran into a problem with it fitting but because I wasn't trying to introduce new problems I settled for cutting the existing y pipe. It's ugly but it works. Would love to find a diy fix for that.
Posted By: ah64pilot Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - September 22nd 2021 2:52 am
Sorry guys, didn't mean to chase a rabbit there.
The van is looking very nice! Good to hear it's driving as well as it looks.
If you get a chance, share the part numbers on the shocks please.
No way man, I love the discussion!

Looks like the shocks are these:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/BSN-24-010252

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/BSN-24-010269
Posted By: ah64pilot Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - September 22nd 2021 2:58 am
Yes, they sure are! It was the last stop for race week apparently. I saw this girl at the counter, she looked like she knew people but I didn't really pay any attention to her. Cute girl.

Summit Racing liked my picture on IG so I clicked on their page to follow them and saw their first picture was of this cool '55 Chevy and had this girl Alex Taylor's name in the description. I clicked on the tag and it took me to her page. Same girl I saw at the counter looking for parts. Pretty cool, I guess she really was 'somebody'.

https://instagram.com/alextaylorracing?utm_medium=copy_link
Posted By: SDMickey Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - September 22nd 2021 1:00 pm
ah64pilot. Your van looks super clean. Such quick progress and upgrades.
Posted By: ah64pilot Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - September 23rd 2021 12:39 am
ah64pilot. Your van looks super clean. Such quick progress and upgrades.
Hey thanks a bunch! The reception it's gotten here and in Facebook van groups is overwhelming. Really excited to be able to work on such a cool project and to use the heck out of it as our main form of transportation too!
Posted By: ah64pilot Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - September 23rd 2021 12:53 am
Small project today. As a family of non-smokers I don't think we'll be using these ash trays in our lifetime so I'd rather use this space for, well, anything else. It turned out to be more involved than expected but I think it's worth the effort. Here's the before:

After removing the wood insert/ ash tray and making a new one out of poplar and covering it with red vinyl:

You might notice the cup holder as well...I enlarged the hole (quite a bit more work than expected) and put in a larger / deeper cup holder that will hold larger drinks. I was going to use stainless for a really polished look but I think the direct sunlight might make for a bad experience with a toddler so for now we'll stick with black plastic. Only 3 more to go... 😩
Posted By: lukester Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - September 23rd 2021 1:56 am
Non smoker here too. I never thought of this to get rid of those ugly ashtrays. Great idea and it looks great.
Posted By: Rusty Pancelode Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - September 23rd 2021 3:21 am
In my experience, ashtrays are gum collectors.
Good riddance.

Yes, they sure are! It was the last stop for race week apparently. I saw this girl at the counter, she looked like she knew people but I didn't really pay any attention to her. Cute girl.

Summit Racing liked my picture on IG so I clicked on their page to follow them and saw their first picture was of this cool '55 Chevy and had this girl Alex Taylor's name in the description. I clicked on the tag and it took me to her page. Same girl I saw at the counter looking for parts. Pretty cool, I guess she really was 'somebody'.

Cool. I'll have to start going back over there.

Funny how you met someone who's somebody, but you didn't know it.
I met Butch Patrick (Eddie Munster) at a friend's house when I was a teenager.
I didn't know who he was until afterwards.
lol
Posted By: ah64pilot Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - September 23rd 2021 4:57 am
Originally Posted by lukester
Non smoker here too. I never thought of this to get rid of those ugly ashtrays. Great idea and it looks great.
I'll take some more pictures of the process on the next one. I've got 3 just like this, the other two are back by the couch windows. They should be easier because I won't have all the couch switch wiring and ECM to deal with.

The vinyl I got was from hobby lobby. Cost me $1.15 for a 6" cut off the roll 😂
Probably should've gone black but the red matches the blanket we have back on the couch bed so whatever. If it's hard to keep clean I'll pull some money out of savings and get another 6" cut off the black roll and redo it 😎
Posted By: SDMickey Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - September 23rd 2021 4:58 am
Nice conversion on the ashtrays. I'm still old school and just like the stock look I'm leaving my ashtray in my 1974 G10 shorty and going to transfer it when I do my drink ttary like I had in my original 74'.
Instead of the original use as an essential party accessory for my " Smoking Club " ; it's a nice place to set some keys or coins. Just love the OEM look.
Posted By: ah64pilot Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - September 23rd 2021 5:03 am
In my experience, ashtrays are gum collectors.
Good riddance.

Cool. I'll have to start going back over there.

Funny how you met someone who's somebody, but you didn't know it.
I met Butch Patrick (Eddie Munster) at a friend's house when I was a teenager.
I didn't know who he was until afterwards.
lol
That's crazy! I met Tony Schumacher at an army recruiting function once. Was talking crap to him in the middle of his speech (he said he would want to fly Blackhawks if he didn't race cars and I ask him if that was because he liked holding hands with his Co-pilot). I had no idea who he was. Several years later and we're pretty good friends 😂

But seriously. Blackhawk pilots are sissy's.

- your resident Apache pilot.
Posted By: Rusty Pancelode Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - September 23rd 2021 3:38 pm
lol
That's hilarious!
Posted By: ah64pilot Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - September 23rd 2021 5:57 pm
Nice conversion on the ashtrays. I'm still old school and just like the stock look I'm leaving my ashtray in my 1974 G10 shorty and going to transfer it when I do my drink ttary like I had in my original 74'.
Instead of the original use as an essential party accessory for my " Smoking Club " ; it's a nice place to set some keys or coins. Just love the OEM look.
I totally get that! My Cutlass interior is all OEM looking as well, don't wanna change it. On the van however...one of my motivations for this change is to eliminate the chance for constant "clicking" of the lid on long road trips when the kids inevitably feel the need to fidget 😂
Posted By: SDMickey Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - September 24th 2021 10:12 pm
I hear you. My dad would never tolerate that "nonesense" while he was driving the family 1963 Galaxie 500 ( Robin egg blue with aqua interior )
driving 80 MPH down the 101 Freeway with his " one allowed Sunday Falstaff Beer wrapped in a brown paper bag between his legs and a Lucky Strike in his left hand .

Heavens to Mergatroad we click an ashtray lid ! ( Good times ; Good Times ) lol
Posted By: ah64pilot Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - September 25th 2021 5:20 am
I hear you. My dad would never tolerate that "nonesense" while he was driving the family 1963 Galaxie 500 ( Robin egg blue with aqua interior )
driving 80 MPH down the 101 Freeway with his " one allowed Sunday Falstaff Beer wrapped in a brown paper bag between his legs and a Lucky Strike in his left hand .

Heavens to Mergatroad we click an ashtray lid ! ( Good times ; Good Times ) lol
OMG the image in my head has me cracking up 🤣

What a vivid scene you just painted hahahaha!
Posted By: SDMickey Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - September 25th 2021 8:16 pm
" The Good Ol' Days " !! lol
Posted By: frscke1 Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - September 25th 2021 9:32 pm
" The Good Ol' Days " !! lol

Good Ole Dad ....
Posted By: SDMickey Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - September 26th 2021 1:28 am
No Kidding. Good Hard Working Man. Went thru the Great Depression; at 17 1/2 yrs old joined the Navy and fought in the Pacific. Worked till he was 82 lived to be 87 and survived 4 strokes..
He didn't talk much; but when he did; he had something to say and was "never" politically correct. I miss him.
Posted By: ah64pilot Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - September 26th 2021 10:47 pm
No Kidding. Good Hard Working Man. Went thru the Great Depression; at 17 1/2 yrs old joined the Navy and fought in the Pacific. Worked till he was 82 lived to be 87 and survived 4 strokes..
He didn't talk much; but when he did; he had something to say and was "never" politically correct. I miss him.
The greatest generation. A man to be admired.
Posted By: SDMickey Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - September 27th 2021 3:29 am
Thank you,
Posted By: ah64pilot Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - September 27th 2021 4:51 am
Anyone tried redhead steering gears? After all the work I've done I think my gearbox is still seeping a little from the input seal. I wanna replace it but I don't wanna waste time with a cheap parts store unit, I've not heard good things.
Posted By: Deathorvictory Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - September 27th 2021 3:54 pm
got one on my t bird and steers nicer than my other old cars
Posted By: ah64pilot Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - September 30th 2021 1:03 am
Originally Posted by Deathorvictory
got one on my t bird and steers nicer than my other old cars
Well, they said they couldn't change the ratio so I ended up ordering one from Lee with a 14:1 ratio, best they can do in the reverse box. I'm probably the only person who has ever spent this much money on a power steering gear for a family van 🤣
Posted By: ah64pilot Just spent $700 on a steering gearbox - ask me anything! - September 30th 2021 1:09 am
After failing to find what I was looking for from any of the mainstream vendors I finally decided to pony up and call Lee Power Steering today. $700 later and I have a 14:1 ratio gearbox to finish off the compete steering/suspension/brake overhaul on our 1995 G2500. I can't wait to see how this thing drives!

Your undercarriage looks so clean.
Ask you anything?
Ok...
What's the matter with you?
lol

The van's looking great, though.
Your undercarriage looks so clean.
Uh... That's what she said?
Ask you anything?
Ok...
What's the matter with you?
lol

The van's looking great, though.
I have a habit of buying the best option... I've always been like that. I'll spend twice as much on a quality part as a regular run of the mill, perfectly acceptable, part. I think I can blame my dad for it somewhat, although he's not nearly as bad as I am.
Looking good!
Nice, can't wait to see it all done.
Buy it nice, or buy it twice. You probably did the best thing. Spending big money sucks at times but then you drive it and enjoy it the way you really want to. That to me is worth it.
Great wisdom Deathorvictory,
A nice van becoming nicer! Looking forward to following along
Originally Posted by newkirkinc1
Looking good!
Thank you!
Nice, can't wait to see it all done.
Dropped it off at the glass shop today... First time it's been gone since we bought it... Feels weird. Having the windshield replaced so I can change over to the old style window seal and hopefully get it sealed up. Should be back soon...I want them to take their time cleaning the old urethane and rubber stuff off so they have a clean surface to put the seal onto.
Originally Posted by Deathorvictory
Buy it nice, or buy it twice. You probably did the best thing. Spending big money sucks at times but then you drive it and enjoy it the way you really want to. That to me is worth it.
Couldn't agree more. Took back roads to the glass shop today and had a huge smile on my face...I can't imagine what it's going to be with a tight fast ratio gearbox... Can't wait!
Originally Posted by vaNsquared
A nice van becoming nicer! Looking forward to following along
Thanks! More to come soon... When the parts arrive 😂
Just had windshield replaced with old style gasket. Looks like that did the trick. I do have a drop of water on a fuse block bolt, might need to check the firewall sealing areas 😩.

Also just ordered this to deal the pop out windows in back and passenger side rear:

TRIM-LOK - 6100B3X1/8A-25 Trim-Lok Trim Seal with Side Bulb – Fits 1/8” Edge, 5/8” Bulb Seal Diameter, 25’ Length – PVC Plastic Trim with EPDM Rubber Seal, Easy to Install for Cars, Boats, RVs, Trucks, and Home Applications https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NL44VUC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apan_glt_fabc_Z754YEME2AFN86NM8GBP

And also saving this for later when I fix the rust spots at the big windows out back. Will replace with solid glass instead of T sliders: http://www.dcmco.com/dcmvangl.htm

And last but not least, got this installed today and all I can say is holy shit Batman! I feel like I'm driving a sports car. Steering is tight like you wouldn't believe, the wheel is now straight, and the feel is unbelievable. Best single improvement I've done so far. Lee Power Steering isn't cheap but they're the best in the business and I'm so happy I got one!

Sounds like it was well worth it.
Went to look at a stainless roof rack yesterday, turned out to be a turd. Decided last night that I didn't need a roof rack at all and so I set out to clean up the look of Buckeye.

Before with morning dew:

Removed roof rack and ladder. Filled bottom ladder holes by tapping them to 10-32 and installing stainless pan head bolts with rubber flat washers and a dab of ultra black.

I also got rid of the IBS emblem (integrated belting system) cuz ain't nobody needa be riding down the road advertising IBS.

For the top holes I just got a new strip of reflective tape and covered them after covering the bare metal with touch up paint. It wasn't too bad getting all the old stuff off but the new tape is a tad wider than the factory stuff. It looks ok I guess. Good enough until I get it painted.

Then I tapped the 7/16" holes on the roof to 7/16 - 20 and filled them with some stainless hex bolts I had laying around. I cut the bolts to 1/2" long and put a 3/8" O-ring on the bolt and a dab of ultra black. This will last until I get some 7/16" pan head bolts to make it look a little cleaner... And that should last until I get it painted in a few years and have the holes welded up.

I'm pretty happy with the way it looks without all the jewelry.

And how about that Central Texas sunset?

Posted By: SDMickey Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - October 16th 2021 3:33 am
Awesome pic Bro. The van is looking cherry, ( no joke intended ) grin
Posted By: lukester Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - October 16th 2021 8:56 pm
Looks great.
Posted By: Meanmachine Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - October 16th 2021 10:59 pm
Beautiful van, you do very nice work.
Posted By: newkirkinc1 Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - October 16th 2021 11:18 pm
Looks sweet!
Posted By: ah64pilot Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - October 17th 2021 3:50 am
Awesome pic Bro. The van is looking cherry, ( no joke intended ) grin
Hahaha thank you! I'm loving the red, it stands out wherever we go and gets a ton of looks. It's been really fun driving cross country today.
Posted By: ah64pilot Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - October 17th 2021 3:52 am
Beautiful van, you do very nice work.
Thank you very much! Sometimes it doesn't turn out exactly how I want it but that's how it goes I guess.
Posted By: ah64pilot Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - October 17th 2021 3:53 am
Passing through Tulsa on our way to St. Louis and stopped for dinner. When we came out we found that Buckeye had already made a friend. Vanners are so cool!

I wish I could've met the owner, I love these sliding door conversions!

P.S. Holy shite this thing is driving great! Handles really well, low fatigue, steering is perfect for one hand or a knee... It's awesome! 8.5 hours of driving today and the little one did really well for a 17 month old. I think she complained less than mommy 😂

Posted By: frscke1 Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - October 17th 2021 6:13 pm
A really fine ride for sure ... way better without the ladder

Love the color and windows ! !
Posted By: SDMickey Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - October 18th 2021 10:10 am
Looking good brother. I'm so far away with my powertrain swap in my 1974 G10 Shorty. Pretty sure I'm going to go with power steering pump recommendation. chevy
Posted By: ah64pilot Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - December 04th 2021 2:55 pm
Looking good brother. I'm so far away with my powertrain swap in my 1974 G10 Shorty. Pretty sure I'm going to go with power steering pump recommendation. chevy

Steering gearbox? If you do you will love it!

It's been a while, life has taken some crazy turns lately. We went to St. Louis for my wife to audition for the St. Louis symphony. She didn't win the job, but we got a nice vacation / road trip out of it. Some pretty cool pictures too!

St. Louis Arch

Union Station

Hotel parking lot 😂

Posted By: kursed Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - December 04th 2021 6:50 pm
Looking a lot cleaner without the roof rack and ladder.
Posted By: newkirkinc1 Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - December 04th 2021 8:31 pm
Looking great!
Posted By: Meanmachine Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - December 04th 2021 9:20 pm
Very nice.
Posted By: lukester Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - December 04th 2021 9:40 pm
I really like the Union Station pic. Looking good
Posted By: SDMickey Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - December 05th 2021 12:22 pm
The van is looking awesome. Nice pics. Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: ah64pilot Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - December 06th 2021 1:02 pm
Looking a lot cleaner without the roof rack and ladder.
I think so too... It's become my "deconversion" van 😂

Took a job with Union Pacific in Omaha Nebraska so we're gearing up to move at the end of December. I guess buckeye will have to sit in a parking garage for the rest of winter... So long Texas "winter" and 365 days of driving weather 😢

Looking forward to four seasons though, and the job 😊
Posted By: kursed Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - December 07th 2021 2:42 pm
Good luck out there man, hope you have a pain free move.
Posted By: Rusty Pancelode Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - December 07th 2021 10:33 pm
Good luck on your move and your new job!
Going off to fly trains?
lol
Posted By: SDMickey Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - December 08th 2021 5:54 am
Congrats on the job and the move.
Posted By: ah64pilot Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - December 08th 2021 6:28 pm
Going off to fly trains?
lol
🤣 I'm actually going to be an air traffic controller of sorts, they call it train dispatcher but it is the ATC of the railroad.
Posted By: CatFish Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - December 08th 2021 7:16 pm
Going off to fly trains?
lol
🤣 I'm actually going to be an air traffic controller of sorts, they call it train dispatcher but it is the ATC of the railroad.

You get to call which train "holds the main" and which one "takes the hole".... lol
Sounds like an interesting job! Worlds largest train set... laugh
I got to work on the AC unit for a scale house in a hump yard once in north Atlanta. It was a treat seeing how they assembled the trains. Quite an operation.
I was just there for a day and we were in/out via tunnel. That hump yard looked a little dangerous to me....
Good luck with the new job.
Posted By: ah64pilot Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - December 14th 2021 9:57 pm
Going off to fly trains?
lol

You get to call which train "holds the main" and which one "takes the hole".... lol
Sounds like an interesting job! Worlds largest train set... laugh
I got to work on the AC unit for a scale house in a hump yard once in north Atlanta. It was a treat seeing how they assembled the trains. Quite an operation.
I was just there for a day and we were in/out via tunnel. That hump yard looked a little dangerous to me....
Good luck with the new job.

Yeah I'm really excited! The Harriman Dispatch Center in Omaha is like the NASA Control Center in Houston... It's cool! They call it the bunker because it's ready for any natural disaster and has redundant power to the redundant power so to speak.
Posted By: SDMickey Re: "Buckeye" - '95 G2500 StarCraft Conversion - December 15th 2021 2:33 am
I wish you the Best on your new start,
© Vannin' Community and Forums