Vannin' Home
Posted By: SDMickey Mickey's 1974 G10 Chevy Shorty - October 16th 2020 3:30 am
https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/d/upland-1974-chevrolet-10-van/7213984991.html

I thought you'd never ask. Of course it's in my driveway !!!!! yay chevy
Posted By: Death or victory Re: 1974 G10 Chevy Shorty - October 16th 2020 5:26 am
For real?
Posted By: samhain Re: 1974 G10 Chevy Shorty - October 16th 2020 5:33 am
At “36k” I’d expect the pedals, door sills and engine to be damn near pristine. Still a damn fine lookin van and quite the hefty price tag.
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: 1974 G10 Chevy Shorty - October 16th 2020 2:37 pm
Awesome! Great score! Your patience paid off. Can't wait to watch what you do to it!
Congrats again!!!!
Posted By: SDMickey Re: 1974 G10 Chevy Shorty - October 16th 2020 2:40 pm
Deathorvictory: My "Primary" mission has ended and my New mission will be the build plan. I'm so stoked Bro. I was on craigslist at 10:30 pm Wednesday night and it was my "1st" pop.
OMG, A one owner 1974 Shorty with 36,269 mile with the stock 350 and quadrajet.

I was blown away. I called at 10:32 pm and my opening statement: I'm sorry to call so late; is it cool or do you want me to call in morning ?

Mike was cool. I met him at his home at 11:am Thursday. Dude ; his home and better yet " Garage"S" were off the hook. "THREE" garages not counting his wife's garage.
The first thing I see is the old school dealer GIANT Chevy "OK" Service signs from 1950's & 1960's. To the far left garage; my van under a full on shop hoist where all "his" work is done. His "double" man cave has his 1950 ($100,00.00 insured ) Chevy Sedan Delivery. Ton's of his racing day pics of his 1955, 1956 and 1957 Chevys he use to run at Irwindale and Orange County Speedways. The garage was done right with tons of old school gear; wheel balancers; suntech machine etc. Not to mention his Sansui 9000 receiver and 4 sets of Klipsch Tower Speakers.

I thought I had died and went to heaven. He lifted the van up in the air and showed me what he did. We drove it and I bought it. I know I paid a lot. But other than the "3 on the tree". I'm "OK" like his sign said. At his price; Mike actually "trailered" it home for me yesterday. 3 Hour drive on his new trailer in his 2004 Chevy DuramaxDiesel that looked brand new.

I can't believe how lucky and really blessed I am. I was talking to LEE from the get go and a good part on the way home to San Diego. It looked so Bitch N' on Mike's New trailer behind his Duramax. So many people were "High" FIVE N' it on it's ride home and NO SH** !**! When we were registering it at AAA; a dude a little older than me offered $25K for it. I'm so stoked. I have to "lay" low for awhile because back in August I bought my 2013 Crewcab Silverado ( Original owner with 81K miles and "Almost" as Sweet as my 1974 G10 SHORTY !!!!!

Do I build the stock 350 and put in a 700 trans or an LS swap ????? OMG I can't contain myself.

I want to Thank My Circle of Faith and all the positive vibes you guys have sent me. I can't wait to get it mechanically where I want and go on my First Van Run in "DECADES".

I'm ready to get the band back together and go on the road. "Party On Garth" !! SWING!!!!! smile chevy chevy chevy chevy chevy
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: 1974 G10 Chevy Shorty - October 16th 2020 2:45 pm
Lets get some pics of it in your driveway......let the fun begin!
Posted By: SDMickey Re: 1974 G10 Chevy Shorty - October 16th 2020 2:54 pm
Lee: Thank You for your "Code of Silence" . I so appreciate all your advice and experience and tolerating my rants. I still can't believe it's here and mine.

As I shared with you yesterday: I just might buy that Lotto ticket. Wouldn't that Be Crazy. The pics are E-Z; it's the posting I need help with as you know,

Have to leave for work. Thanks again my friend. You're a Good Man Lee. chevy
Posted By: Death or victory Re: 1974 G10 Chevy Shorty - October 16th 2020 3:56 pm
Congrats!!

FWIW, I had a 73 with a 350 and 3 on the tree and it had 230k miles when I sold it. Ran like a top. Just drive it!
Posted By: frscke1 Re: 1974 G10 Chevy Shorty - October 16th 2020 4:24 pm
Congrats Mickey ... but as they say no pic's ..it didnt happen ...lol

Again congrats ...
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: 1974 G10 Chevy Shorty - October 16th 2020 4:25 pm
Mickey....when you get to posting pictures.....start a post in Readers Rides
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: 1974 G10 Chevy Shorty - October 16th 2020 4:30 pm
Originally Posted by Deathorvictory
Congrats!!

FWIW, I had a 73 with a 350 and 3 on the tree and it had 230k miles when I sold it. Ran like a top. Just drive it!

My second van was a 74 GMC with a 350 and three on the tree and I drove it forever and still ran great when I sold it.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]BI1 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
Posted By: Charlie 99909 Re: 1974 G10 Chevy Shorty - October 16th 2020 4:37 pm
Originally Posted by SDMickey
Do I build the stock 350 and put in a 700 trans or an LS swap ????? OMG I can't contain myself.

Balls to that, find a four speed Chevy van and drop that into it!

Great score, Mickey! Let's start cruising for chicks!
Posted By: frscke1 Re: 1974 G10 Chevy Shorty - October 16th 2020 5:15 pm
Find a 454 and drop that into it .... you wont regret it ....
Posted By: frscke1 Mickey's 1974 G10 Chevy Shorty - October 16th 2020 5:24 pm
Hey buddy I moved this to Readers Ride for you to document your ride start to ..... well they are never finished ....lol
Posted By: Rusty Pancelode Re: Mickey's 1974 G10 Chevy Shorty - October 16th 2020 6:42 pm
Dude!
Congratulations!

That's a beautiful van!

I'd drive it like it is and enjoy the s**t out of it.
Posted By: Death or victory Re: Mickey's 1974 G10 Chevy Shorty - October 16th 2020 8:26 pm
Also you got one of the coolest factory color vans. I usually don’t like yellow but Spanish Gold is so good. I can’t wait to see what you do. A lot of work if you want to build an interior but it’s like starting with a brand new van so that’s going to be good.
Posted By: LOOKSLO Re: Mickey's 1974 G10 Chevy Shorty - October 16th 2020 10:40 pm
Who?
What?
Where?
When?
How?
I must’ve been sleeping, I missed it.
Mickey sounds stoked tho.
Congrats man.
Hope to see pics of it soon.
Posted By: SDMickey Re: Mickey's 1974 G10 Chevy Shorty - October 17th 2020 4:07 am
Right on guys. The color is rare. If I "did" keep the Spanish Gold. I'd do some type of Gold flames. To be straight up; I'm most likely going back in a Hot Tub Time machine and build it like I did my "First" 1974 G10. I'm not going to tell my best friend; since 1962 and when it is "finally" done ????? Drive to his home in O.C. and blow him away.

I'm bummed the craigslist add is down. I'll post what I have on Tuesday ( my next scheduled day off / I always have problems w/pics when I try to post on our forum)

I don't want Mr Frscke1 to be an " UNbeliever " and ask for my birth certificate ! smile chevy
Posted By: frscke1 Re: Mickey's 1974 G10 Chevy Shorty - October 17th 2020 4:11 am
MR ? ..... lol
Posted By: Charlie 99909 Re: Mickey's 1974 G10 Chevy Shorty - October 17th 2020 2:29 pm
I saw this a few minutes again and it reminded me of you, Mickey.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Posted By: newkirkinc1 Re: Mickey's 1974 G10 Chevy Shorty - October 17th 2020 2:32 pm
Thats nice!
Posted By: samhain Re: Mickey's 1974 G10 Chevy Shorty - October 17th 2020 2:50 pm
Originally Posted by SDMickey
Right on guys. The color is rare. If I "did" keep the Spanish Gold. I'd do some type of Gold flames. To be straight up; I'm most likely going back in a Hot Tub Time machine and build it like I did my "First" 1974 G10. I'm not going to tell my best friend; since 1962 and when it is "finally" done ????? Drive to his home in O.C. and blow him away.

I'm bummed the craigslist add is down. I'll post what I have on Tuesday ( my next scheduled day off / I always have problems w/pics when I try to post on our forum)

I don't want Mr Frscke1 to be an " UNbeliever " and ask for my birth certificate ! smile chevy

HUH!? You bought this time capsule to paint it?!
Posted By: SDMickey Re: Mickey's 1974 G10 Chevy Shorty - October 17th 2020 9:08 pm
If I kept the color I wouldn't be able to do my original 1974 G10 shorty. Pearl white ; with blue; red and purple hues of Pearl. Mickey Thompsons all around ( N50s in the rear) ; Deep Dish Chrome USA Mags; Doug Thorley show tubes.

The dash and dog house where black with High back swivels; black vinyl with the insets cloth with hues of blue and black. Only pop out windows. The interior cargo roof had very dark blue with black hawaiin orchids with blinking lighting under Material and I had curtains to match. The walls where very "thick" Diamond Tuck with big buttons and where accented in a frame network with a light viking blue shag .
No Bed; triple padding on floor with samre shag ( I'm a drummer and hauled my kit and my bass players gear tghru the years. Semi built 350 motor with just the right tone.

*****The "Outside" option #2. Keep the Spanish Gold with some type of Metal Flake (?) Gold Flames; Keep the seats and restore the dash to pristine; do the same interior with the thick black tuck n' roll with big gold buttns in same framework with the right gold colr shag; same overhead material but with a very dark colored same material with same hawaiin Orchids and matching curtains. Keep the rims; 2" (?) spindle drop; Thorley show tubes and same engine build.

I have away; some say I should do an LS swap. The engine has no miles and would be a shame not to build it; fuel injected and a 700R trans.

What to do. Gotta go at work. cool chevy
Posted By: frscke1 Re: Mickey's 1974 G10 Chevy Shorty - October 17th 2020 9:32 pm
Get a second van and do both options .....

I got one for the dirt, one for the streets and are looking for the one for the track ...
Posted By: newkirkinc1 Re: Mickey's 1974 G10 Chevy Shorty - October 17th 2020 10:14 pm
I agree with Friske!
Posted By: Charlie 99909 Re: Mickey's 1974 G10 Chevy Shorty - October 17th 2020 10:58 pm
Originally Posted by frscke1
Get a second van and do both options .....

I got one for the dirt, one for the streets and are looking for the one for the track ...

That’s my dream. My current one to cruise, a second one to cram a tunnel ram onto the 302 and stroke it out to 347, 4 mpg around town. 😂
Posted By: frscke1 Re: Mickey's 1974 G10 Chevy Shorty - October 17th 2020 11:48 pm
I want put the 454 mid row seating no drive shaft and turn it into a wheelie van

Sry for the hijack Mickey
Posted By: SDMickey Re: Mickey's 1974 G10 Chevy Shorty - October 18th 2020 12:26 am
samhain; I bought it for how straight and clean it is; Original owner with 36,241 Original miles and California Van. Dude; the build sheet looks new as well as the jack with the Factory instructions.
I had a 1967 ; a 1971 and my favorite 1974G10 Shorty. It was a stock no window ; except pop outs with a V8 & auto,

I did the same thing and took my time to make it a beauty. At one point I actually sold it and bought it back a year later. I truly know where you are coming from;
but in my heart I believe I will re-incarnate my original 1974. I was so proud of it and have so many good memories. It's worth it to me. Peace Out smile chevy
Posted By: SDMickey Re: Mickey's 1974 G10 Chevy Shorty - October 18th 2020 4:53 am
Charlie; just got home and was able to open the link to see the "art work" /"Bound to Cover" . Cool Stuff Bro.

I believe I posted the site: Motormouthtees.Bigcartel.com in a older post.
These t-shirts are off the hook ! can't wait to get mine; chose: "Back to The Seventies" !! smile chevy
Posted By: SDMickey Re: Mickey's 1974 G10 Chevy Shorty - November 02nd 2020 5:38 am
Sent pics to Charlie with play by play this evening. I appreciate your help and advise as always. They should be up tomorrow and I'm in the process of doing my first Upgrade. Small ; but it's a start and funds are low for awhile.

I so appreciate all the well wishes. I just need to win the Lotto now.
Posted By: Charlie 99909 Re: Mickey's 1974 G10 Chevy Shorty - November 03rd 2020 6:11 am
Mickey asked me to post this up for him. He is stoked.

The First Day "At the end of my Quest": The Find and Buy: 1974 G10 Shorty, Original Owner with 36,241 Original Miles !! Original 350V8 with a 3 On The Tree Paid
$21K ( Ouch !! and I feel "good about the pain )

My Quest is almost complete: at full pop for the G10; it is being trailered home in style on a new trailer with a nice Chevy Duramax. Along the way Home Lee is putting up with my Crazy Psyhco babble and I'm blown away at all the "Thumbs Up" on it's way Home. I can't contain myself as I pass the San Diego Arch Bridge. I can't believe my luck and such a Tremendous Find.

We are Home; Safe and Sound.

An Original martin sunroof exactly like I had in my original 1974 G10 Shorty back in the day and the factory jack with the factory instructions. I also have the original owners manual and protecto plate and I'm sorry I forgot to take a pic of them as well as the "primo build sheet & emissions sticker under the hood that I can't believe look new.

For Mr friske1"*****Me in front of MY Home with My 1974 G10 Shorty with Pink in Hand !******Now the Journey Begins: "Hot Tube Time Machine" Get Ready !

Posted By: frscke1 Re: Mickey's 1974 G10 Chevy Shorty - November 03rd 2020 8:09 am
Sure is a SWEET unmolested van ... its like a blank canvas.

KUDO'S on the buy.

People work a entire life time to afford/achieve such a dream like this.
Posted By: LOOKSLO Re: Mickey's 1974 G10 Chevy Shorty - November 03rd 2020 8:40 am
Redemption, after all the traveling you did to find the right van.
Proud owner.....I’m stoked for ya.
I hope 2021 opens up and lets you get out to all the Van nights possible.
Posted By: newkirkinc1 Re: Mickey's 1974 G10 Chevy Shorty - November 03rd 2020 11:18 am
Congrats it was worth the wait. Sweet!
Posted By: Meanmachine Re: Mickey's 1974 G10 Chevy Shorty - November 03rd 2020 2:24 pm
Beautiful well taken care of van, congrats and enjoy it for many years.
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: Mickey's 1974 G10 Chevy Shorty - November 03rd 2020 3:02 pm
Beautiful van and a totally blank slate with extremely LOW miles. Your patience was worth the wait!!!!
Posted By: SDMickey Re: Mickey's 1974 G10 Chevy Shorty - November 03rd 2020 3:26 pm
I appreciate the well wishes. I can't begin to share with you how I feel. I'm 64 years "young" and had my first job at 13 years old as a paper boy for the Los Angeles Herald Examiner and have never stopped .

The last ten years have been rough: lost my parents; shut down my business and had my stroke in May of 2019. The BIG Guy was telling me to slow down and enjoy life like the Crazy Mad Man I was and known for back in the day. ( I'm "Mickey Lite" now ). I so missed my van days and my last van was in 1982. As I shared far too many times I had all Chevys: a 1967; a 1971 and my beloved 1974 G10 Shorty. So many good times and memories.

Now I have a Dream that has truly come true and I'm so very thankful and blessed to relive my youth and start new memories. I can't want to start building this Beautiful Gift from above to keep my head straight and rekindle that Fire I had 24/7,

So many of you have given me the support of your knowledge and experience and made me laugh when I needed it ( You Rock Rusty ). I appreciate " All of it " more than you could know.

I will be calling on you for your ideas; support and "connections". I can't wait to go on some runs and meet a lot of you and crack a few cold ones.

There is nothing like being a Vanner. ( well maybe being the drummer for The Stones )

Peace & Love Mickey smile chevy
Posted By: 1959 Re: Mickey's 1974 G10 Chevy Shorty - November 03rd 2020 5:48 pm
She's a beaut Clark!

I'm glad you found one that you are in love with! Good luck and have fun! See you in Minnesota next year!
Posted By: cjhardcore Re: Mickey's 1974 G10 Chevy Shorty - November 03rd 2020 11:59 pm
OMG, that van is so nice SDMickey. It has been fun to read your journey to get here at this point. You are gonna love that van for sure. Within the van community, we can get really bent out of shape on the price and products of vans but money has a purpose. Some people will spend 6 bucks a day on cigerretes or coffee, would rather spend it on the things I love. Have fun.
Posted By: Scrojira Re: Mickey's 1974 G10 Chevy Shorty - November 04th 2020 12:27 am
That van is 100% beautiful. Please don't paint it!
Posted By: newkirkinc1 Re: Mickey's 1974 G10 Chevy Shorty - November 04th 2020 11:01 am
Wish you all good stuff with it and your adventure. Ask away and i am sure you will get the info you need.
Posted By: SDMickey Re: Mickey's 1974 G10 Chevy Shorty - November 04th 2020 5:34 pm
Thanks Brother. I'm so stoked. After the 1st of the year I plan on building the Original 350 motor; not too crazy; want to go on long trips and still have some "Huevos". 700R trans; Power steering ; suspension up grades and if i can swing it: Vintage Air.

My goal is to be able to Cruise anywhere by end of June. It's only $$$$$. chevy
Posted By: Death or victory Re: Mickey's 1974 G10 Chevy Shorty - November 05th 2020 2:46 am
Once you do that, you will be in fine shape. Perfect combo and sensible accessories list. Van already looks great and sits nice. One or two things at a time and these things come together quickly. A nice guy I just met this weekend basically did the same, GM crate motor, I think a 700R4 and he drives it everywhere. You got yourself a solid rig my friend
Posted By: SDMickey Re: Mickey's 1974 G10 Chevy Shorty - November 05th 2020 4:44 am
Thank you Sir. I respect your opinion and talent. Your rig is right on as well and you do nice work. It's been a long journey. So many recommendations: LS Swap; Crate Motor.

With such low miles why not build the original motor, My "1st Love" did just fine and never let me down. I found two Kodack pics of my "first one back in the day " and I'm going to try with
Charlie's help to post them. chevy
Posted By: Rusty Pancelode Re: Mickey's 1974 G10 Chevy Shorty - November 05th 2020 4:57 am
Wow!

I'm really excited for you!
That's a beautiful van.
Congratulations!
Posted By: oldskool73 Re: Mickey's 1974 G10 Chevy Shorty - November 05th 2020 2:04 pm
Congratulations ! Great looking van. I know exactly what you are chasing, I've been chasing it too ( will be 66 next month ) . My wife doesn't get it, but that's OK. Van on, brother.
Posted By: Leakbox Re: Mickey's 1974 G10 Chevy Shorty - November 05th 2020 2:29 pm
Well now I have my answer. I didn't know you had found what you are looking for. Now I'll need to stay in touch and see how things are going.
Posted By: SDMickey Re: Mickey's 1974 G10 Chevy Shorty - November 05th 2020 2:29 pm
Right on oldskool73.

Hey Rusty; once I get the PowerTrain all straight; I was thinking about air brushing a mural on the Van of me back in the day when I had Super Awesome hair like the Motor City Madman himself "Ted Nugent"
( reference Cat Scratch Fever Album Cover; Ted Nugent Live his best album of course) with me and a smoking accessory

What do you think ? rofl chevy
Posted By: Rusty Pancelode Re: Mickey's 1974 G10 Chevy Shorty - November 05th 2020 10:57 pm
lol
You could have saved a ton and bought that other van that already had you on it!
LMAO!
Posted By: SDMickey Re: Mickey's 1974 G10 Chevy Shorty - November 06th 2020 7:51 am
As Larry The Cable Guy would say: That there is Funny: I don't care who you are ! laugh
Posted By: SDMickey Re: Mickey's 1974 G10 Chevy Shorty - November 07th 2020 3:07 pm
I'm stoked. Picked my machine shop who is going to build motor and install power steering; maybe do air conditioning as well. Then found the trans shop to do 700R. All Good referrals and both have been in business for decades.

Not keeping 3 on The Tree; need to get auto steering column for my 1974 G10, ( not doing chrome) I'm told not same set up as Chevy Trucks. Any proven recommendations ? chevy
Posted By: frscke1 Re: Mickey's 1974 G10 Chevy Shorty - November 07th 2020 3:25 pm
I have a steering column for ya .... its a tilt but the Grant wheel is gone. ITS FREE if you want it.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
Posted By: newkirkinc1 Re: Mickey's 1974 G10 Chevy Shorty - November 07th 2020 6:59 pm
Nice and ya can't beat free!
Posted By: frscke1 Re: Mickey's 1974 G10 Chevy Shorty - November 07th 2020 7:17 pm
Thats what Real Vanners do .... help another.. not try to put your kids thru college on one part.

Story on it ..... it came out of a '85 G20 .... had it for 3 4 yrs sittin out in the shed ... it came in a group lot of parts from the van that I stripped and I paid $200 for the lot ... but I got WAY MORE than my $ so FREE to me FREE to you.

besides its only a $250 gift and I have givin away a lot more than that to others that needed something.

Good Karma it all comes back 10 fold.
Posted By: Charlie 99909 Re: Mickey's 1974 G10 Chevy Shorty - November 07th 2020 7:57 pm
Hell yeah!
Posted By: SDMickey Re: Mickey's 1974 G10 Chevy Shorty - November 07th 2020 9:03 pm
OMG! Thank you so much. I will gladly accept your gift my friend. I hear yah. I will PM you and hope to pick it up Tuesday my next scheduled day off. Do you know if my stock 1974 G10 steering wheel will be compatible with the 1985 column?

frscke1 I can't begin to express how grateful I am and will pass it forward as they say. I so believe in Karma. Thank You so much Brother. chevy
Posted By: frscke1 Re: Mickey's 1974 G10 Chevy Shorty - November 07th 2020 9:21 pm
Welcome welcome
Posted By: SDMickey Re: Mickey's 1974 G10 Chevy Shorty - November 07th 2020 10:38 pm
frscke1. Do you know if the 1985 column will match with my 1974 set up ?
Posted By: frscke1 Re: Mickey's 1974 G10 Chevy Shorty - November 07th 2020 11:11 pm
Have no idea ... its the correct set up for the shifting linkage to the tranny your going to use, 700r. Things always need adjusting when you go from old to new lol

Did they make a column for automatic back then or was it just the 3 on a tree with a clutch N floor shifters ?
Posted By: Death or victory Re: Mickey's 1974 G10 Chevy Shorty - November 07th 2020 11:30 pm
I’d guess no. Back in 74 the only real controls on the column were turn signals and flashers I think. It looks like that column has a multi function signal stalk which means that more than likely its has signals, wipers, brights, all that stuff which isn’t on your vans original column.

You might be able to make it work but you may have to modify your wiring harness in some fashion. Just my thoughts tho, you’re gonna have to do your own research
Posted By: Death or victory Re: Mickey's 1974 G10 Chevy Shorty - November 07th 2020 11:31 pm
Yes, they had separate column designs back then for manual and automatic. 3 on the tree or 3 speed auto.
Posted By: SDMickey Re: Mickey's 1974 G10 Chevy Shorty - November 08th 2020 1:04 am
Appreciate the experience. My "original"/First 1974 G10 had an automatic with a column shifter. Will do the research.
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: Mickey's 1974 G10 Chevy Shorty - November 30th 2020 6:40 pm
Can always make it work.
I am looking for a tilt column for my chop but they didn't make them for Dodge vans in 72 so I am going to have to find a newer one or one out of a Dodge car or truck that might work.
© Vannin' Community and Forums