Vannin' Home
Posted By: Lee7673 My 72 Dodge Chop Project - January 13th 2020 1:37 am
I picked up this 72 a few months ago.....was only 3 miles from my house.....had been sitting in a carport for 20 years....and was $350!!!!! Going to fix the body rust, build some crazy ground effects and chop the top!
Brought it home and washed off 20 years of dust/dirt.

[Linked Image]IMG-2087 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr

[Linked Image]IMG-2094 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr

[Linked Image]IMG-2105 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - January 13th 2020 1:41 am
Started removing some rust and replacing some patch panels

[Linked Image]IMG-3824 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr

[Linked Image]IMG-3821 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - January 13th 2020 1:45 am
All glass removed and ready to start the chop. Will be welding cross braces inside to keep minimal flexing. Will start laying out with tape how much to chop and what angle.

All glass out:
[Linked Image]IMG-3872 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr

[Linked Image]IMG-3858 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr

[Linked Image]IMG-3857 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
Posted By: Charlie 99909 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - January 13th 2020 3:17 am
Hell yeah! That Dodge is awesome.
Posted By: kursed Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - January 13th 2020 11:58 am
Can't wait to see the progress on this one! Perfect blank canvas. One question though... What is the deal with the "Otis" can hanging from the passenger side sunvisor? lol
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - January 13th 2020 12:17 pm
I disconnected the fuel tank to either clean or replace and have that with a valve/line run to the carb temporarily to run. Going to replace the engine and transmission (it’s a 6 cylinder and it’s tired....it runs but not well)
Posted By: kursed Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - January 13th 2020 12:26 pm
Originally Posted by Lee7673
I disconnected the fuel tank to either clean or replace and have that with a valve/line run to the carb temporarily to run. Going to replace the engine and transmission (it’s a 6 cylinder and it’s tired....it runs but not well)

Awesome, I've done similar cans before and didn't even think about that being what you were using it for. I robbed a plastic gas tank off of a push mower I was scrapping years ago, and that's my go-to hanging gas can now.
Posted By: Death or victory Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - January 13th 2020 6:04 pm
If this turns out anything like your other wild dodge, this one is gonna be cool! I’m very interested to see what you do with ground effects.
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - January 13th 2020 10:42 pm
This is similar to what I want to do (without the windows and wing....but I probably will do some type of wing)
[Linked Image]Invasion build 9 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
Posted By: kursed Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - January 13th 2020 10:48 pm
That thing is sexy!
Posted By: Death or victory Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - January 14th 2020 4:48 pm
Oh yeah that is gonna be awesome!
Posted By: newkirkinc1 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - January 14th 2020 11:55 pm
Can't wait to see it done!
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - January 19th 2020 7:30 pm
OK....started bracing the inside and the door openings so I can get ready to start cutting on the chop!!

[Linked Image]IMG-3956 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr

[Linked Image]IMG-3949 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
Posted By: kursed Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - January 19th 2020 7:47 pm
SWEEEET!
Posted By: newkirkinc1 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - January 19th 2020 9:44 pm
Nice work on the bracing.
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - January 26th 2020 2:26 am
Cut the upper halves of the braces today. Measured and marked for an 8" chop (going to see how that looks but might up it to a 9" - 10" but have to see the look of the 8" chop first). Tomorrow I hope to remove the upper door jambs and then cut the roof off and then cut the sides......getting excited to start the cutting!!!
[Linked Image]IMG-3993 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
[Linked Image]IMG-3995 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
[Linked Image]IMG-4003 (1) by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
[Linked Image]IMG-4001 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
Posted By: kursed Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - January 26th 2020 4:23 am
Looking good so far. We're all anxious to see how this one turns out. Thanks for keeping us posted.
Posted By: Astrocreep66 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - January 26th 2020 2:14 pm
Man you braced that like a battle ship heck yes! I can't wait to see the chop it looks like a mean angle, it will look tough.
Posted By: OVANNER Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - January 26th 2020 3:11 pm
Nice use of bed frames also! Keep us updated.
Posted By: oldkid Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - January 26th 2020 3:42 pm
subscribed, curious to see how the top comes together since it;s not a straight down match.
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - January 26th 2020 5:03 pm
Even on a straight chop (vs angled chop) either the roof needs to be widened or the upper side panels pulled in (both have been done in the past). I am planning on pulling the walls in vs splitting the roof. There is so much geometry that goes on because every angle on the van changes, door jams move as the roof moves forward the roof is now thinner than the van where it matches back up, the top of the doors change, etc
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - January 26th 2020 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by OVANNER
Nice use of bed frames also! Keep us updated.

Hahaha.....yea I had some angle iron laying around but remembered I had a bed frame in the back of my pick up waiting to go to the dump so I put it to good use!
Posted By: newkirkinc1 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - January 27th 2020 1:19 am
That was for good use lee.
Posted By: Wedgy Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - January 27th 2020 7:28 am
Wow! Nice work Lee. Thanks for posting the Chop. A work of Art.
The Metalwork you Craftsmen perform is amazing.
Posted By: Astrocreep66 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - January 27th 2020 11:19 am
Yeah when it comes to body modification of that magnitude I will bow out. Van chops have to be tedious I watched a guy do a 65 bug and that was bad enough.
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - January 27th 2020 8:16 pm
Next step was removing the tops of the door jambs.....what a pain in the a##. Didn't know how many spot welds I would be dealing with and need to save the pieces to reuse after the top gets lowered. Have to now remove the back rear corners and then I can cut the roof off and make the cut on the body panels and lower down the front.
Door Jambs Out:
[Linked Image]72 door jamb by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
[Linked Image]72 door jamb1 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - January 27th 2020 8:55 pm
Originally Posted by Wedgy
Wow! Nice work Lee. Thanks for posting the Chop. A work of Art.
The Metalwork you Craftsmen perform is amazing.

I am far from a craftsman but I watch and study others and then I am bold enough (or stupid enough) to go try and tackle the project. My other Dodge is filled with some pretty extensive body mods but I had never done anything like that before so I studied a lot, asked a lot of questions and then dove in (it has taken me almost 9 years on that project since I am a novice)!
Posted By: Death or victory Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - January 27th 2020 9:25 pm
This is skipping ahead a little bit but I was curious..are you doing those fender flares and ground effects out of steel or fiberglass? I really love the way that looks and have another van image saved on my phone that’s similar and wondered how that might be accomplished
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - January 27th 2020 9:42 pm
Originally Posted by Deathorvictory
This is skipping ahead a little bit but I was curious..are you doing those fender flares and ground effects out of steel or fiberglass? I really love the way that looks and have another van image saved on my phone that’s similar and wondered how that might be accomplished

The ones I plan on building on this van will be made of metal. My other project they (flares, air dam and running boards) are fiberglass and all molded in
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - January 28th 2020 2:57 am
No turning back.......Cut out the sides today and cut the door tops off. Next up will be to cut out the rear corners and to cut the windshield posts and to drop the front down.
[Linked Image]IMG-4034 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
[Linked Image]IMG-4035 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
[Linked Image]IMG-4037 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
Posted By: kursed Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - January 28th 2020 3:06 am
chop chop chop!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: tuner4life Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - January 28th 2020 3:00 pm
Holy crap this is insane! Great work so far! You are braver than I would be!
Posted By: oldskool73 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - January 28th 2020 9:14 pm
Watching this project !
Posted By: newkirkinc1 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - January 29th 2020 2:24 am
Oh my that looks great Lee!
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - January 30th 2020 3:14 pm
Started the actual chop. Removed rear corners and cut the windshield posts to push the roof forward and down. Now starts the hours and hours of adjusting....matching up the windshield posts....reinstalling door posts in their new locations....reinstalling rear corners....pulling in the side panels and welding....and that's just the start before I even get to the doors.....but I can start to see what the final shape will be.

[Linked Image]chop3 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr

[Linked Image]chop1 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr

[Linked Image]chop5 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
Posted By: 1959 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - January 30th 2020 3:37 pm
Yeah Buddy!

You gonna channel this beast too?
Posted By: kursed Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - January 30th 2020 10:37 pm
Love this, keep it coming. Looking killer so far.
Posted By: Death or victory Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - January 30th 2020 10:48 pm
You definitely won’t need any sun visors with that size windshield
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - January 30th 2020 11:06 pm
You definitely won’t need any sun visors with that size windshield

Definitely. Its deceiving because even cut down the windshield will still be over 17"
Posted By: lukester Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - January 31st 2020 4:21 am
This is awesome. Looking forward to seeing more.
Posted By: newkirkinc1 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - January 31st 2020 11:56 am
WOW! should be nice.
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - February 02nd 2020 7:38 pm
Got the front reattached so I could move the scaffolding. Need to start reinstalling the door jambs and pulling the walls in and welding together
[Linked Image]My Dodges by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
Posted By: newkirkinc1 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - February 02nd 2020 9:52 pm
Can't wait to see either one of them.
Posted By: kursed Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - February 04th 2020 12:51 am
That is the perfect amount of chop for that van man. Love it.
Posted By: Death or victory Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - February 04th 2020 1:11 am
Originally Posted by newkirkinc1

yeah

Looks mean. Was curious how you were gonna connect the ends of a pillars together.
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - February 04th 2020 2:44 am

yeah

Looks mean. Was curious how you were gonna connect the ends of a pillars together.

Pulled bottom in and pulled top out to meet
Posted By: Death or victory Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - February 04th 2020 4:46 am
Do you brace those connections in any way? I love how it looks from the side already. Look forward to seeing how you do the rear sections
Posted By: frediz Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - February 04th 2020 7:00 am
Which welding process do you use for this kind of work ?

A bit off topic, did you make that hood opening on the other than ? Looks great

Your workshop is cleaner than my kitchen btw!
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - February 04th 2020 3:40 pm
Originally Posted by frediz
Which welding process do you use for this kind of work ?

A bit off topic, did you make that hood opening on the other than ? Looks great

Your workshop is cleaner than my kitchen btw!

Mig welding.....spot at a time until they connect.

As for the hood on my other van.....Ken Schwarz (Superbeast on this Forum) built it. I then welded it to the fenders when I made the tilt front end and I then molded in the wiper cowl.
[Linked Image]Hood1 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
[Linked Image]Hood by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr

As for the garage....it gets kind of messy but then drives me nuts so I have to clean it up. I try to clean up and put everything away every time I am finished working for the day.....my OCD I guess!
Posted By: 67Econo Guy Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - February 05th 2020 12:34 am
Hi Lee, all looks great, you must have done this before,a great garage to work in too,is that reznor heater electric ? if so ,is it expensive to use ?
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - February 05th 2020 2:09 am
Originally Posted by 67Econo Guy
Hi Lee, all looks great, you must have done this before,a great garage to work in too,is that reznor heater electric ? if so ,is it expensive to use ?

I have not done this before so it’s going to go real slow. I bought this house three and a half years ago and the garage was built by a previous owner. He was a builder so he used half of the garage for his business and the other half of the garage he played with race cars. There are two Reznor heaters in there and they do a good job and will heat the garage really well. I only use them some evenings and some on the weekends but they don’t seem too expensive to run. It’s a 40x60 garage with 16 foot ceilings
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - February 14th 2020 3:42 am
I cut a wedge in the drivers door pillar to pull it in. I then cut the side wall to match the cut under the drip rail and then pulled the walls in. I have some butt weld clamps holding it. I now need to remove the tape, grind the paint and tack the drivers side panel back to the roof piece. Slowly.....side by side, piece by piece, corner by corner and then put the front door back on....wedge cut it to lean in and then fit the top of the door.
This is going to be a loooooong project!!!!
[Linked Image]IMG-4147 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
[Linked Image]IMG-4150 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
[Linked Image]IMG-4166 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
Posted By: Death or victory Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - February 14th 2020 5:51 am
Quality work takes time. Very excited to see this unfold.
Posted By: newkirkinc1 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - February 14th 2020 11:52 am
Very nice work Lee.
Posted By: Astrocreep66 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - February 14th 2020 1:52 pm
Top notch man.
Posted By: Charlie 99909 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - February 14th 2020 4:55 pm
I always like seeing the progress on this chop. I can't wait to see the next update.
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - February 16th 2020 1:53 am
Tacked up the one side today. Hope to install the drivers door post and driver side rear corner tomorrow.
[Linked Image]IMG-4187 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
[Linked Image]IMG-4193 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - February 16th 2020 10:02 pm
Another step done......only 6,487 more steps to go!!! Fitted the rear corner and started tacking it in place. Reinstalled drivers door so I can slice it and pull inwards so I can line up the top of the door posts and start reattaching the top of the door.
[Linked Image]IMG-4203 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
[Linked Image]IMG-4209 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
[Linked Image]IMG-4221 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
Posted By: newkirkinc1 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - February 16th 2020 11:49 pm
Great job your doing there Lee!
Posted By: lukester Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - February 17th 2020 12:00 am
So awesome.
Posted By: tuner4life Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - February 17th 2020 1:37 pm
You are a mad man! Great work so far!
Posted By: kursed Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - February 18th 2020 10:17 pm
bow bow bow
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - February 23rd 2020 2:16 pm
I should have paid more attention in Geometry class. When you chop the top EVERYTHING changes. The door tops get longer, the door jambs have to be widened to align back up and the list goes on. A full day on the drivers door and I got the door jamb reinstalled and started fitting the door. Almost done with the drivers door......this is going to be a LONG project!!!!
[Linked Image]Door1 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
[Linked Image]Door by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
[Linked Image]Door2 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
Posted By: Astrocreep66 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - February 23rd 2020 2:18 pm
Gonna be a thing of beauty man..😀
Posted By: newkirkinc1 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - February 23rd 2020 9:51 pm
Your doing very nice work on it Lee. Can't wait to see it.
Posted By: Astrocreep66 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - February 23rd 2020 11:43 pm
The window angles are so neat on a chopped Dodge you are the man.
Posted By: lukester Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - February 24th 2020 12:50 am
Awesome job man.
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - February 24th 2020 1:46 pm
SLOWLY.......tweaking the door. Added the top door corner back in and you can see how I had to split the piece to widen it to fit (now to fill it back in with new metal but wanted to keep the door angle the same). Also had to work around the window track inside the door. So many angle and pieces change when doing a chop. The finish work to line it all back up is driving me crazy!!!
[Linked Image]IMG-4273 (1) by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
Posted By: Meanmachine Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - February 24th 2020 2:12 pm
Looking good, you definitely have to have a lot of patience to be working on the 2 chops you have. Are you keeping track of how many hours it takes to build these vans. Keep up the great work.
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - February 24th 2020 2:39 pm
Originally Posted by Meanmachine
Looking good, you definitely have to have a lot of patience to be working on the 2 chops you have. Are you keeping track of how many hours it takes to build these vans. Keep up the great work.

The other isn't a chop but has tons of body mods (tilt front end, gullwing doors, etc). I have no idea the hours in it but it is well over 1,000 and I am just starting the chop and already realizing it is going to be a LONG process as there is so much tweaking and fitting.
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - February 24th 2020 2:45 pm

My projects:
[Linked Image]IMG-4275 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
Posted By: Astrocreep66 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - February 25th 2020 1:40 pm
Mad skills my man.
Posted By: kursed Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - February 28th 2020 5:27 am
Bitchin'! It looks like a huge pain, but you're killing it.
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - February 28th 2020 3:57 pm
Finally got the last piece on driver door tacked in place (have to go back and finish welding and filling in gaps). Hopefully the passenger door will go quicker. Everything both horizontally and vertically has to be widened, shortened, etc. I now can get a sense of how the window opening will look (getting glass will be a whole another adventure....lol).
[Linked Image]IMG-4287 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
Posted By: tuner4life Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - February 28th 2020 4:03 pm
I've always wondered how someone would go about getting glass for a project like this?
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - February 28th 2020 4:17 pm
Originally Posted by tuner4life
I've always wondered how someone would go about getting glass for a project like this?

Front windshield will be cut. From what I have heard from others who have chopped a van there are three choices for side windows...1) Lexan - seems to be the most popular choice 2) find a window from another vehicle that will fit 3) have a window made to fit - most expensive route but can be done
Posted By: Meanmachine Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - February 28th 2020 4:27 pm
Very nice work and the time and patience to do it. Does Maryland have a yearly vehicle inspection? My daughter lives in Waldorf, but I never paid attention if her car is inspected. I know here in PA, a lot of van mods wouldn't pass inspection. There has to be so much line of view on a windshield, and the guy that inspects mine says some garage's would fail mine for inspection with the old plexiglass portholes, glass has to be DOT approved and heat treated.
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - February 28th 2020 5:31 pm
Very nice work and the time and patience to do it. Does Maryland have a yearly vehicle inspection? My daughter lives in Waldorf, but I never paid attention if her car is inspected. I know here in PA, a lot of van mods wouldn't pass inspection. There has to be so much line of view on a windshield, and the guy that inspects mine says some garage's would fail mine for inspection with the old plexiglass portholes, glass has to be DOT approved and heat treated.

In Maryland if you register with historic tags (vehicle over 25 years....which mine are) there is no inspections needed and no emissions testing. I am not sure what mods would pass otherwise (windshield height, etc)
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - March 15th 2020 1:09 pm
Haven't had a chance to do much for a week...but back at it. Was able to fit and weld rear passenger side and to fit and weld in the rear passenger side corner (rear corners are a pain to fit). Also able to put some bondo hair on the drivers side to start covering and finishing the welded areas.

[Linked Image]IMG-4489 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
[Linked Image]IMG-4492 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
[Linked Image]IMG-4509 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
Posted By: 67Econo Guy Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - March 15th 2020 2:44 pm
Hi Lee, thanks for the reznor info. You are a master craftsman for sure.
Posted By: Astrocreep66 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - March 15th 2020 11:54 pm
Wow that is alot of sectioning, awesome skills my man.
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - March 18th 2020 7:38 pm
Slicing and refitting the door corners......so many cuts, slices and refitting with a chop. EVERYTHING moves!!!!

[Linked Image]IMG-4565 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr

[Linked Image]IMG-4567 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
Posted By: kursed Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - March 19th 2020 3:41 am
Man you are truckin' right along on this thing. Looking KILLER!
Posted By: NateB Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - March 19th 2020 11:28 am
Wow...Looks great Lee!
Posted By: Astrocreep66 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - March 19th 2020 11:30 am
Nice, already killer going to be totally sweet.
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - March 27th 2020 4:05 pm
More updates: Got the passenger door frame reinstalled (had to remove more of side panel to get to it and split it to make it line up. Hope to start reinstalling passenger front door and fitting it this weekend.
[Linked Image]IMG-4618 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
[Linked Image]IMG-4626 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
[Linked Image]IMG-4649 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - March 27th 2020 4:06 pm
Also finishing up the bodywork on driver side chopped area and started on passenger side.
[Linked Image]IMG-4641 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
[Linked Image]IMG-4615 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
Posted By: Astrocreep66 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - March 27th 2020 6:09 pm
One thing is for certain you are not scared to do major surgery. That van is wicked.
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - March 30th 2020 10:41 pm
Finished up the roof line bodywork on drivers side

[Linked Image]IMG-4727 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - March 30th 2020 10:45 pm

Removed the dash for easier access to front pillars. Going to narrow the front dash area a bit to rework the front pillars. Have the passenger pillar out to straighten the pillar and to move it in about 3/4". Going to move both front pillars in about 3/4" on each side at the bottom. CONSTANT TWEAKING!!!!
[Linked Image]IMG-4684 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
Posted By: 67Econo Guy Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - March 30th 2020 11:08 pm
all you need now is a 426 hemi, a master craftsman for sure
Posted By: kursed Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - March 31st 2020 1:05 am
We have a glass shop in Harrisonburg VA that has done cut down door glass a while back for reasonable price. The place is called Windshield City. Might be worth checking into if you can't find someone local to do it. Plexiglass would hold you over, but it's a pain to buff the scratches out every so often. Dealt with that when one of the guys in my former hot rod club did a chopped top VW beetle rat rod thing.
Posted By: Death or victory Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - March 31st 2020 2:36 am
Finished up the roof line bodywork on drivers side

[Linked Image]IMG-4727 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr

You can really see the angle chop in this photo! So freaking cool
Posted By: newkirkinc1 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - March 31st 2020 11:16 am
Looking sweet Lee!
Posted By: Seattle Van Dude Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - March 31st 2020 3:39 pm
Wow. I thought Tuner4Life's work was awesome but this major surgery makes his look like Botox! Both of you are amazing craftsmen!
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - April 01st 2020 3:07 pm
Originally Posted by SeattleVanDude
Wow. I thought Tuner4Life's work was awesome but this major surgery makes his look like Botox! Both of you are amazing craftsmen!

Tuner4Lifes work is awesome and he is quite the craftsman. Both of my vans have gone through (or going through) some major transformations. I had never done any welding/fabrication/fiberglassing/bodywork before I bought my van (about 7 years ago). I just asked a lot of questions from people that do, practice and then attempt it. That's why it took me 7 years on my last van and I am just now ready for paint. Guess I am just brave enough (or stupid enough) to start cutting and then hope I can put it back together. The tilt front end on my other van was the modification that kicked my butt.....took almost a year to do that modification!
Posted By: 1959 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - April 01st 2020 3:49 pm
Well this one looks great. Thanks for taking us along.
Posted By: newkirkinc1 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - April 01st 2020 8:50 pm
Your doing awesome Lee!
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - April 04th 2020 12:48 am
I think I am going to name this van “Vandemic” since I am getting a lot done on it while I am home during the pandemic!!!
Posted By: newkirkinc1 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - April 05th 2020 12:39 am
That's great lee lol
Posted By: Death or victory Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - April 05th 2020 1:01 am
Heck yeah, great name, especially for a wild chop
Posted By: Bossie Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - April 05th 2020 9:12 am
Great name, it fits such a radical van. Great work done in a short time
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - April 06th 2020 4:48 pm
More tweaking......had to move the windshield pillars in about 5/8" where they meet the body.
[Linked Image]IMG-4763 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
[Linked Image]IMG-4783 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
[Linked Image]IMG-4806 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
Posted By: Bossie Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - April 06th 2020 5:32 pm
Man. You are going like a rocket. I've been working and redesigning a door hinge on my van which took me several evenings to finish...
Posted By: Astrocreep66 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - April 06th 2020 8:41 pm
Wow..what else can be said.
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - April 06th 2020 11:07 pm
Originally Posted by kursed
We have a glass shop in Harrisonburg VA that has done cut down door glass a while back for reasonable price. The place is called Windshield City. Might be worth checking into if you can't find someone local to do it. Plexiglass would hold you over, but it's a pain to buff the scratches out every so often. Dealt with that when one of the guys in my former hot rod club did a chopped top VW beetle rat rod thing.

I will check them out. My daughter goes to school in Harrisonburg (JMU) so we get down there a fair amount (about 2.5 hours from where I am).
Posted By: glenna Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - April 07th 2020 1:45 am
DAMN!!!!!
Posted By: newkirkinc1 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - April 07th 2020 2:55 pm
Tweaking very good there Lee!
Posted By: francevan Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - April 13th 2020 6:56 pm
surgical work

im Always amazed buy those who can do this
Posted By: Frosty Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - April 16th 2020 11:01 am
Excellent work and fantastic build!
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - April 20th 2020 1:56 pm
Since I have never done this before...its a learning process. One thing I learned is I should have had the windshield posts finalized before doing the door. After I had the door fitted I had to change the windshield post which means I had to go back and refit the front door. Another 6 hours in fitting the door......at least I haven't done the passenger door yet!!!!
Driver door refitted with the windshield posts now in the correct space.
[Linked Image]IMG-4891 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - April 20th 2020 2:01 pm
My rear doors were pretty rusty at the bottom so I knew I wanted to replace. Picked up this single rear door that I am going to fit (bend inward at the top) and then gull wing it. I plan on filling the window but have something unique (in my head) that I want to do in the window space.
New door just propped in there to make sure it fits. Hope to bolt it in place to have the proper fit while I cut and then will hinge it into a gullwing.
[Linked Image]IMG-4898 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
Posted By: NateB Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - April 20th 2020 6:40 pm
Looks great Lee! Are you eliminating the wing windows? I have to wonder if 98-03 door glass will work in the 72 doors.
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - April 20th 2020 7:25 pm
Originally Posted by NateB
Looks great Lee! Are you eliminating the wing windows? I have to wonder if 98-03 door glass will work in the 72 doors.

Not sure yet. I like the looks of the wing window removed (like the Invasion van) but only if I can get a factory glass piece from another vehicle to fit. I know I can have windows custom made but I am too cheap for that option!
Posted By: Meanmachine Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - April 20th 2020 8:39 pm
I imagine custom made windows would be quite expensive. I spent many years working for PPG Industries in their glass manufacturing plants. We made specialty glass for many applications, military tanks and planes, bulletproof glass for high ranking officials, all shapes and designs, plus we did our own "specialty work" on the midnight shift for guys building street rods back then. We called it "Government Work" because everything we did was free and getting paid on company time. There were very few supervisors on the midnight shift and the factory was over a mile long, so lots of places to hide our projects. A few times a supervisor would question a piece of glass that was coming out of the oven after heat treatment, a promise of a case of beer or a bottle of whiskey usually had him look the other way. I often think when I see all these van projects being built now, how helpful and cheap it could of been to supply the windows.
Posted By: newkirkinc1 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - April 20th 2020 10:57 pm
No wing window would look great Lee!
Posted By: Death or victory Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - April 21st 2020 3:00 am
+1 that door profile is super rad!
Posted By: Frosty Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - April 21st 2020 12:57 pm
Amazing build and skills!
Posted By: SDMickey Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - April 21st 2020 3:13 pm
How lucky are you. Does your neighbor have a friend with a 1971-1975 Shorty in his carport ?
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - April 21st 2020 5:24 pm
Originally Posted by SDMickey
How lucky are you. Does your neighbor have a friend with a 1971-1975 Shorty in his carport ?

I was really looking for a shorty but this one came up a few miles from my house and the price was right.
Posted By: Death or victory Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - April 21st 2020 6:13 pm
This was the same situation for me too. I honestly think your project benefits from being a long body. You’ve got a radical short van but I think the style and body work you’re planning, the lwb suits the proportions.
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - April 22nd 2020 2:18 am
Got the new single door (rust free junk yard find off a 99) hung today to replace my barn doors that were pretty rusty. I then sliced the sides to lean it in and then tacked it in the correct position. Next step is to gull wing it and remove the other hinges. I also plan on filling in the window but I have something planned for where the original window is (planned in my head anyhow)!
[Linked Image]IMG-4918 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
[Linked Image]IMG-4917 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
[Linked Image]IMG-4921 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
Posted By: kursed Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - April 22nd 2020 3:17 am
I'm loving this build more and more each time I check in. This thing is so wild. Anxious to see how the door comes out, and what you have planned for the window.
Posted By: Death or victory Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - April 22nd 2020 3:22 am
So cool!
Posted By: Charlie 99909 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - April 22nd 2020 3:26 am
Yeah, this is awesome. You’re making a lot of progress on it.
Posted By: frscke1 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - April 22nd 2020 6:01 am
I always did like the Corners door … I wish Chevy made them

Way to go Lee …. it will look awesome ! !
Posted By: SDMickey Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - April 22nd 2020 11:36 am
To Lee7673. You won the Van Find Lotto ! Killer Price !
Posted By: NateB Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - April 22nd 2020 2:42 pm
Looks great Lee!
Posted By: Customatic1969 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - April 23rd 2020 7:02 am
That's a lot of work, I would never dare to put the cutting blade in the VAN to scared of messing it up
Keep up the work, and updates
van
Posted By: newkirkinc1 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - April 23rd 2020 11:01 am
Great job you did on that door Lee!
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - May 02nd 2020 11:19 pm
Before I started cutting/fitting/fabricating the passenger front door I started playing with laying out wheel flares. Going to add some ground effects as well and tie the flares in so I have excess framing rod at the bottom right now that will be cut off or tied into the ground effect. Just trying to see how it might look.

[Linked Image]IMG-5086 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr

[Linked Image]IMG-5090 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
Posted By: newkirkinc1 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - May 03rd 2020 2:34 am
That will be sweet Lee!
Posted By: Frosty Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - May 03rd 2020 2:40 am
Man, I love everything you're doing to this sweet ride, Lee. Excellent build!
Posted By: SDMickey Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - May 03rd 2020 5:00 am
Lee7673 you have skills bro !
Posted By: Death or victory Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - May 03rd 2020 10:52 pm
Lee - will you need to space your wheels out at all to get them to sit that wide? It looks like that would stick out further than a stock flare? Excited to see this continue.
Posted By: Charlie 99909 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - May 04th 2020 12:26 am
I love watching this take shape
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - May 04th 2020 1:32 am
Lee - will you need to space your wheels out at all to get them to sit that wide? It looks like that would stick out further than a stock flare? Excited to see this continue.

Sticks out 3" which is the same amount as the fiberglass flares on my other van. They look bigger because they also drop down 2" while the fiberglass flares come straight out. They will be a lot bigger.....going for the look of the flares on Metalstorn or Invasion vans.
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - May 04th 2020 1:35 am
Beefed up the framing today with 1/2" bar. I then test fitted a piece of the flare. Need to fabricate the ground effect and start them as the flares will tie into them.

[Linked Image]IMG-5124 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr

[Linked Image]IMG-5132 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - May 04th 2020 1:37 am
The look I am going for as for the flares and ground effects

[Linked Image]Invasion build 9 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
Posted By: kursed Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - May 04th 2020 2:53 am
I freaking LOVE this style of flares. You are rocking this build man. Phenomenal job.
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - May 05th 2020 12:18 am
OK...cut, fit and welded in two panels on the flare.....I can start to get a sense of how it will look. I have to frame the ground effect in next before I finish the flare as the flare will mold into the ground effect. Slowing coming together.....at this rate I should have it done by 2027!!!!

[Linked Image]IMG-5146 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr

[Linked Image]IMG-5147 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr

[Linked Image]IMG-5160 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
Posted By: kursed Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - May 05th 2020 1:36 am
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Bossie Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - May 07th 2020 10:51 am
Great progress on the Van, you make it look as if the chop is a Saturday morning job, I am allready curious how fast the fenders will be done.
Posted By: Frosty Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - May 09th 2020 2:17 am
Hey Lee, what size rod are you using for the flares?
Posted By: newkirkinc1 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - May 09th 2020 12:41 pm
That looks swee Lee!
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - May 09th 2020 1:48 pm
Originally Posted by Frosty
Hey Lee, what size rod are you using for the flares?

1/4 rod for the rounded part and then 1/8” x 1/2” flat bar to connect the two rods together and to connect the outer rod to the van
Posted By: SDMickey Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - May 10th 2020 6:39 am
You're work is amazing. smile
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - May 10th 2020 11:34 am
Started framing out the ground effects. I have to cover those before I can finish flares because flares tie into them. Hope to start covering them and finishing the rear flare in the next few days.

[Linked Image]IMG-5228 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
[Linked Image]IMG-5229 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
[Linked Image]IMG-5232 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - May 10th 2020 11:36 am
You're work is amazing. smile

Thanks.....a little at a time
Posted By: SDMickey Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - May 10th 2020 2:01 pm
Have you thought about a color scheme ? Are you going one solid color or a blend ?
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - May 11th 2020 12:04 am
Have you thought about a color scheme ? Are you going one solid color or a blend ?

That's too far out for me to even start thinking about...lol! Will be laying paint on my other Dodge within 30 days and that will be a solid color (a Brandywine).
Posted By: newkirkinc1 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - May 11th 2020 12:12 am
Can't wait to see the other one in color.
Posted By: SDMickey Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - May 11th 2020 3:31 am
Right on ! smile ( I seriously need to think about moving next door to you.)
Posted By: Bossie Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - May 12th 2020 10:47 am
How wide will your tires be to fill that big hole? Or will you use spacers to bring the wheels out?
Nice to see that your other van will get a new coat of paint :-)
Posted By: NEmery Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - May 12th 2020 1:37 pm
this van is going to be sexy as hell
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - May 12th 2020 3:37 pm
Originally Posted by Bossie
How wide will your tires be to fill that big hole? Or will you use spacers to bring the wheels out?
Nice to see that your other van will get a new coat of paint :-)

I will be running something similar to what I have on my other van. I have 10” rims on back with 295/50 tires and 8” rims on the front with 265/50 tires
Posted By: SDMickey Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - May 12th 2020 3:49 pm
Nice Mr Lee smile
Posted By: moparronnie Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - May 12th 2020 6:11 pm
Nice project. I love it.
i started one 20 years ago. Chop was done but sits for ever in the barn.
Have to find some time to start again, but your tread will help for sure to get in the mood.
We do the same on the wheelwells but the sides are different. I chopped straight.
Rear is completely closed, no more doors.

Good luck with your project.
Cool.
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - May 12th 2020 8:25 pm
Originally Posted by moparronnie
Nice project. I love it.
i started one 20 years ago. Chop was done but sits for ever in the barn.
Have to find some time to start again, but your tread will help for sure to get in the mood.
We do the same on the wheelwells but the sides are different. I chopped straight.
Rear is completely closed, no more doors.

Good luck with your project.
Cool.

Lets see some pics! Always love to look at chops!
Posted By: moparronnie Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - May 12th 2020 9:23 pm
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This is that chop project van, but first i have to redo the tradewinds. That tread is over here too.
Posted By: SDMickey Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - May 13th 2020 12:16 am
Hey Lee; you can fab a custom sign over your workshop: "Dodge Dreams". smile
Posted By: newkirkinc1 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - May 13th 2020 1:18 am
That would be nice Lee!
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - May 13th 2020 2:16 am
Hey Lee; you can fab a custom sign over your workshop: "Dodge Dreams". smile

Mopar or No Car!!!
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - May 13th 2020 2:17 am
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This is that chop project van, but first i have to redo the tradewinds. That tread is over here too.

Very nice.....will be a nice one to finish. What year??
Posted By: SDMickey Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - May 13th 2020 3:38 am
I have to admit; I like "Mopar or No Car" better than "Dodge Dreams" !! smile
Posted By: moparronnie Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - May 13th 2020 6:34 am
[/quote]

Very nice.....will be a nice one to finish. What year?? [/quote]

1983. B250. Was 318/727 but have a nice 360 with some upgrades and an other rear axle for the 2 stripes job (lol).
We would ad a flip front but that's out of my mind right now.
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - May 13th 2020 4:14 pm
[/quote]

Very nice.....will be a nice one to finish. What year??

1983. B250. Was 318/727 but have a nice 360 with some upgrades and an other rear axle for the 2 stripes job (lol).
We would ad a flip front but that's out of my mind right now.
[/quote]

Add the flip front end when you are finishing it off.....they look great. I did it on my other Dodge.

[Linked Image]IMG-5252 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
Posted By: SDMickey Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - May 13th 2020 4:21 pm
Lee. You have Great Skills. You should seriously consider opening up a shop ! smile
Posted By: Charlie 99909 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - May 13th 2020 4:48 pm
That is so bad ass.
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - May 13th 2020 6:22 pm
Originally Posted by Charlie99909
That is so bad ass.

My other Dodge......getting paint at the end of this month. There is a build thread on this forum of all I have done to it.

[Linked Image]IMG-4620 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - May 13th 2020 6:24 pm
Lee. You have Great Skills. You should seriously consider opening up a shop ! smile

Just a back yard hobbyist that decided to learn welding and body work 8 years ago when I bought my van.....takes me a lot longer than others because I am "learning on the job"!!! LOL
Posted By: Death or victory Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - May 13th 2020 6:51 pm
Lee - did you learn it on your own or did you take classes?
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - May 13th 2020 7:00 pm
Lee - did you learn it on your own or did you take classes?

I had never done any welding/fabrication/body work before I bought my Dodge van in 2011. Welding and body work I learned by asking a lot of questions to people who did that and watched a lot of videos and then practiced. That's why it takes me so long on my projects. 9 years on my van and I am just now ready for paint (of course every time I was ready for paint I thought of one more body mod I wanted to do first....but now I really am ready for paint....then I can finish the interior).
Posted By: newkirkinc1 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - May 14th 2020 11:35 am
That's the best way Lee. I learned starting back on the Nautilus.
Posted By: Astrocreep66 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - May 14th 2020 11:57 am
You guys are my heroes..no joke.
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - May 14th 2020 4:57 pm
Originally Posted by Astrocreep66
You guys are my heroes..no joke.

Thanks.....Just love playing with metal and experimenting. Others before me gave me a lot of inspiration and ideas and just trying to recreate what others have done.
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - May 14th 2020 5:00 pm
Test fitting the ground effects to see how they will look. Also, have to mount ground effect to be able to finish the flares as the flares tie into the ground effect.
Ran out of welding gas so have to get more before I can fully mount these, Ughhhh

[Linked Image]IMG-5260 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
[Linked Image]IMG-5261 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
Posted By: Death or victory Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - May 14th 2020 5:09 pm
Wild!
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - May 14th 2020 5:48 pm
That's the best way Lee. I learned starting back on the Nautilus.

And that restoration turned out beautiful!
Posted By: Bossie Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - May 15th 2020 10:30 am
I followed the thread of you're other Van that allready has radical modifications, great to see you are building not one but 2 radical vans, I love it.
how will you finish of the in- and underside of the flares and ground effects. I am doing the same thing on my van, I wanted to weld sheet metal on the underside because I worry that the inside of the flares and ground effects will start rusting, but that way I will never pass vehicle control to get it road legal.(same reason why I can't chop the roof) So I might end up with bolt on closing plates, I want the Van to also look great from underneath...
I have used the same method you are working, as I don't have an English wheel or other high tech stuff. It does mean the need for a little bit more Bondo to get it straight.
Keep up the great work.
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - May 16th 2020 4:34 pm
I followed the thread of you're other Van that allready has radical modifications, great to see you are building not one but 2 radical vans, I love it.
how will you finish of the in- and underside of the flares and ground effects. I am doing the same thing on my van, I wanted to weld sheet metal on the underside because I worry that the inside of the flares and ground effects will start rusting, but that way I will never pass vehicle control to get it road legal.(same reason why I can't chop the roof) So I might end up with bolt on closing plates, I want the Van to also look great from underneath...
I have used the same method you are working, as I don't have an English wheel or other high tech stuff. It does mean the need for a little bit more Bondo to get it straight.
Keep up the great work.

I definitely plan on finishing off the inside of the flares. I haven't decided if I will be finishing off the bottom of the ground effects yet. If I do I will be welding on metal from the outside of the ground effect back to the body.
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - May 17th 2020 12:46 am
Did a little more on the ground effect and finished tieing the rear flare into the ground effect.

[Linked Image]IMG-5311 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
Posted By: lukester Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - May 17th 2020 2:19 am
That's wicked man.
Posted By: SDMickey Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - May 17th 2020 5:21 am
Awesome work and progress.
Posted By: Astrocreep66 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - May 17th 2020 11:21 am
I have a Hotrod book from mid seventies shows that method for flares..that is totally gnarly Lee you are a real craftsman. And you have vision my man.. alot of progress, that van will be badass.
Posted By: Bossie Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - May 18th 2020 11:17 am
Watch how this metalshaper makes the flares, he has got very learnfull videos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Od9QeWsor6E
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - May 18th 2020 4:49 pm
Watch how this metalshaper makes the flares, he has got very learnfull videos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Od9QeWsor6E

This is awesome and he does some beautiful work. I wish I had his metal working tools.
Posted By: SDMickey Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - May 18th 2020 5:19 pm
No doubt. What a talent and amazing shop. smile
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - May 20th 2020 11:57 pm
I want to build a rear roll pan similar to this:

[Linked Image]attitudeadjustment by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr

Then I remembered that I had a louvered hood on my old van but the inside had rusted out and I cut the louvers off the top of the hood before I scrapped the hood......so.....guess what the next project is? Build a roll pan with louvers!!!!
Here are the panels I cut out of my old hood....I forgot I had these!!!
[Linked Image]IMG-5358 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
Posted By: Death or victory Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - May 21st 2020 1:29 am
Perfect! I also really love the Centerline Champs on your shorty. A very under rated wheel choice for heavy body mod style vans.
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - May 21st 2020 1:41 am
Perfect! I also really love the Centerline Champs on your shorty. A very under rated wheel choice for heavy body mod style vans.

I am looking for a set for the chop. I found a set for sale near me but they painted the centers. I am going to go look at them to see if I can remove the paint.
Posted By: Death or victory Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - May 21st 2020 2:51 am
I finally had to let a set go I had. They were mis matched centerlines and ultra wheels and were for small GM which doesn’t fit anything I own but they were so cool. Fronts were 8.5’s, rears were deep 10s. Sold them to a guy with a g body so I’m hoping they get used well. They are bad ass.
Posted By: kursed Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - May 21st 2020 1:46 pm
That's going to look killer Lee. My buddy Paul that runs Old Anvil Speed Shop in CA is really good with Louvers of all shapes and sizes. I've been trying to think of somewhere I could incorporate a few from him, but haven't made up my mind as to where yet. I wish I could get my van to CA easier, because there are a few ideas I've had for him to do to the van, but it's a logistical nightmare trying to make it happen. The guy is a metal magician, been fabricating since he was a young teenager. He moved from VA to CA a few years back to work with Jimmy Shine then opened his own shop and has been knocking out some seriously killer work since then.

https://www.oldanvilspeedshop.com/

I can't get enough of looking at the pics of this van man. Thank you for sharing all the progress. Your work is amazing and very inspiring to step outside of the norm and think of new ideas for customizing.
Posted By: SDMickey Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - May 21st 2020 8:10 pm
kursed : just checked out your Buddy Paul's shop; looks like he does nice work. I'm stoked to know I have a connection with a quality shop within driving distance from San Diego. Check out the Kentucky Louisville Craigslist ad for the 1974 G10 Shorty at $5500.00 with the welded side door. it was a garage paint job and I'm sure the metal work has challenges as well.

I can forward some videos the owner Steve sent me to get your valued opinion; and if a miracle happened ; could your buddy Paul restore the slider to stock in your opinion. Your help is greatly appreciated. SDMickey
Posted By: kursed Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - May 22nd 2020 12:08 am
kursed : just checked out your Buddy Paul's shop; looks like he does nice work. I'm stoked to know I have a connection with a quality shop within driving distance from San Diego. Check out the Kentucky Louisville Craigslist ad for the 1974 G10 Shorty at $5500.00 with the welded side door. it was a garage paint job and I'm sure the metal work has challenges as well.

I can forward some videos the owner Steve sent me to get your valued opinion; and if a miracle happened ; could your buddy Paul restore the slider to stock in your opinion. Your help is greatly appreciated. SDMickey

PM sent so we don't hijack Lee's thread too bad.
Posted By: SDMickey Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - May 22nd 2020 5:19 am
Wasn't thinking. Lee is a True Vanner with great skills. I get blown away at his self taught workmanshiop with his posts.
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - May 22nd 2020 1:58 pm
That's going to look killer Lee. My buddy Paul that runs Old Anvil Speed Shop in CA is really good with Louvers of all shapes and sizes. I've been trying to think of somewhere I could incorporate a few from him, but haven't made up my mind as to where yet. I wish I could get my van to CA easier, because there are a few ideas I've had for him to do to the van, but it's a logistical nightmare trying to make it happen. The guy is a metal magician, been fabricating since he was a young teenager. He moved from VA to CA a few years back to work with Jimmy Shine then opened his own shop and has been knocking out some seriously killer work since then.

https://www.oldanvilspeedshop.com/

I can't get enough of looking at the pics of this van man. Thank you for sharing all the progress. Your work is amazing and very inspiring to step outside of the norm and think of new ideas for customizing.

Very cool and California seems to be the place for custom shops like his
Posted By: kursed Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - May 23rd 2020 4:42 am
Very cool and California seems to be the place for custom shops like his

Yeah, that was his dream, to start his own rod shop in CA. I'm happy he went for it. Seeing your louvers made me remember the day he got his old school louver press. Like a kid on Christmas.

Did you press your louvers that came off the old van, or were they already on it? I've been thinking of shipping him a spare hood I have to get him to work some metal magic on a hood scoop idea I've had rolling around in the back of my head.

Man I really can't get enough of opening this thread and drooling over the darn chop and flares. Outstanding work so far. Can't wait to log in and see more progress each time your thread pops to the top.
Posted By: SDMickey Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - May 23rd 2020 5:11 am
I can't wait till the Grand Opening one day of: " Mopar or No Car" smile
Posted By: LOOKSLO Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - May 23rd 2020 1:24 pm
Just seen it and thought I’d pass it on.
All road warrior looking.

https://m.facebook.com/marketplace/item/998428743893446
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - May 24th 2020 1:01 am
Started building the roll pan with the louvers I had. Got it shaped and louvers cut into one side....hope to get the louvers in the other side tomorrow. Going to do the body work on it off the van (so I don't have to lay down and sand)!!!
[Linked Image]IMG-5390 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
[Linked Image]IMG-5400 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
[Linked Image]IMG-5403 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
[Linked Image]IMG-5407 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
Posted By: Death or victory Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - May 24th 2020 2:41 am
Some of the coolest custom van stuff is happening in your garage Lee. So fun to watch and thanks for sharing.
Posted By: SDMickey Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - May 24th 2020 2:59 am
Lee; you have to do it: The Mopar Road Warrior; that's rad looking! smile
Posted By: SDMickey Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - May 24th 2020 4:58 am
Dude; your work is off the hook. smile
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - June 01st 2020 1:04 am
OK....a few updates:
Almost finished the rear roll pan. Should be able to put it in primer by tomorrow and weld it on the rear of the van.
[Linked Image]IMG-5505 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr

Scored a very nice pair of rust free side doors so I can finish off the passenger side. The hinge on the front is a little different so I will have to modify (mine is a 72 and these are off a 74 and I thought they would have been identical)
[Linked Image]IMG-5512 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr

Removed the grill and started framing front end. Will frame out the bottom of the grill opening in next few days so I can frame out the front air dam so I can build the front wheel flares and tie it all together.
[Linked Image]IMG-5514 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
Posted By: lukester Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - June 01st 2020 2:40 am
Wicked cool man.
Posted By: SDMickey Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - June 01st 2020 4:10 am
Those doors are awesome Lee. Great find! smile
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - June 02nd 2020 1:03 am
Hung the new doors today. Totally rust free. Almost too nice to cut up......but won't close or work without cutting them up!

[Linked Image]IMG-5522 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr

[Linked Image]IMG-5520 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
Posted By: newkirkinc1 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - June 02nd 2020 10:18 am
Your doing great Lee!
Posted By: SDMickey Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - June 02nd 2020 11:39 am
Your skills; progress and effort is amazing.
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - June 03rd 2020 1:12 pm
Finished the roll pan
[Linked Image]IMG-5529 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr

Tacked it on the rear of the van. Now to tie it into the rear flares and make the rear corners.
[Linked Image]IMG-5548 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
Posted By: SDMickey Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - June 03rd 2020 2:18 pm
As usual; nice work ! smile
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - June 07th 2020 3:03 am
Finished two more pieces on the ground effects tying into the roll pan. Hopefully tomorrow I can add the last piece of the flare and tie it all together so I can start on the front flare and tie it into the new front end.....then I can do it all over again on the other side!!!!
[Linked Image]IMG-5593 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
[Linked Image]IMG-5594 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
Posted By: SDMickey Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - June 07th 2020 5:15 am
Damn ! Clean as we all knew it would be. What size wheels are you going with ?
Posted By: newkirkinc1 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - June 07th 2020 12:26 pm
Looking sweet there Lee!
Posted By: Bossie Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - June 07th 2020 3:31 pm
Great work Lee and my favourite thread, I could ask a thousand questions about the chop, one day I will start that also but for now just one question , it looks like you are using sharp edges on the back and end of the sides. Why is that? The van has smooth shapes all around, I would follow that trend to make it look as if she came out of the factory like that.
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - June 07th 2020 5:46 pm
Damn ! Clean as we all knew it would be. What size wheels are you going with ?

Same as my other Dodge 15x10 on the rear and 15x8 on the front
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - June 07th 2020 5:51 pm
Great work Lee and my favourite thread, I could ask a thousand questions about the chop, one day I will start that also but for now just one question , it looks like you are using sharp edges on the back and end of the sides. Why is that? The van has smooth shapes all around, I would follow that trend to make it look as if she came out of the factory like that.

I understand what you are saying about the smooth edges. I guess its just a personal choice. Here are three of my favorite vans (all chops...2 Chevys and 1 Dodge) all with the sharp edge boxed ground effects at the bottom. These are vans that inspired me to do those type of ground effects on my chop.
Omen van Then and now)
[Linked Image]Omen van by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
Upopia Van
[Linked Image]Utopia Van by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
Invasion Van
[Linked Image]Invasion Van by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
Posted By: Death or victory Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - June 07th 2020 6:12 pm
Wow the first version of that Chevy is wild!

I can’t wait to see this come together. Great part about any of this process is if you don’t end up liking something, you learn and make it better. I bet none of those vans got every detail right the first crack at it. It’s called a process for a reason. I love following along.
Posted By: SDMickey Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - June 07th 2020 11:28 pm
Nice on all accounts !
Posted By: Charlie 99909 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - June 08th 2020 12:11 am
I can dig it!
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - June 08th 2020 1:32 am
OK....got the last piece of the fender cut and fitted (lots of cutting) and then put a quick coat of bondo glass on the seams. I am really liking the way this is looking but I can tell this is going to be a LONG process!

[Linked Image]IMG-5614 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
[Linked Image]IMG-5625 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
Posted By: SDMickey Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - June 08th 2020 1:40 am
Wicked Cool MR MOPAR OR NO CAR ! smile
Posted By: Astrocreep66 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - June 08th 2020 12:53 pm
Wooooooooo..dang nice work..you got vision for sure.
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - June 18th 2020 1:45 am
Been busy and haven't had a lot of time to work on it but I started the front flare......going to build the front air dam next to tie the flare into it

[Linked Image]IMG-5719 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr

[Linked Image]IMG-5722 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr

Also started cutting the passenger front door and fitting it together

[Linked Image]IMG-5641 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr

[Linked Image]IMG-5639 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
Posted By: SDMickey Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - June 18th 2020 5:46 am
As usual. Nice work smile
Posted By: NateB Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - June 18th 2020 10:09 am
Looks great Lee! Now..important question. What drivetrain are you planning on?
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - June 18th 2020 7:25 pm
Looks great Lee! Now..important question. What drivetrain are you planning on?

I am not sure yet. It has a tired 225 in it now and I am not even sure what transmission (originally was a 3 speed - clutch is still in the van but not hooked up). I will probably go with a 360 (although I saw a 1957 392 Hemi advertised locally). Not sure about transmission....a 727 perhaps? Mechanics are not my strong suit.
Posted By: Meanmachine Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - June 18th 2020 7:52 pm
Lee, I would save all that 3-speed linkage and what else may go with it, always see guys wanting to changeover to manual transmission. Keep up the nice work and progress on your projects.
Posted By: newkirkinc1 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - June 19th 2020 12:17 pm
Awesome Lee!!!!!
Posted By: Wedgy Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - June 19th 2020 1:55 pm
Nice work. Of Art!!! Radical chop, but aesthetically pleasing. Your lower body mods complement the chop well. Carry On. Maestro!
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - June 21st 2020 6:35 pm
OK.....front end starting to come together. I framed out the bottom of the "new" grill opening and added the framework for the front of the air dam. Now I can finish the driver side front flare and add the air dam and then start on the other side of the van.......slowly but surely!!!!

[Linked Image]IMG-5765 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr

[Linked Image]IMG-5756 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
Posted By: Astrocreep66 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - June 21st 2020 10:05 pm
This van is going to be waaaaaayyyyyy cool..darned nice metal work and man what vision.
Posted By: newkirkinc1 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - June 22nd 2020 1:07 am
Lee it is overwhelming dude!
Posted By: SDMickey Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - June 22nd 2020 11:10 am
" Mr. Lee " . Astrocreep66 's post is an " under statement " . You SERIOUSLY could open a shop.
Posted By: newkirkinc1 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - June 23rd 2020 12:45 am
Yes he could!!!!!!
Posted By: SDMickey Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - June 24th 2020 12:01 am
I'm telling you "Mr. Lee".....even though I'm a Chevy man at Heart. I would be Happy to be the Shop Manager at " Mopar or No Car"

Of course my Shop Van could be a Powder Blue 60's A100 Shorty Cargo ! smile
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - July 01st 2020 3:28 pm
Man this stuff is slow going.......framed up a little more on the front end and hope to have the front air dam metal all installed in the next day or so (driver side and then I can finish the front driver wheel flare and tie it all together). Long...slow....process!!!!

[Linked Image]IMG-5847 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr

[Linked Image]IMG-5848 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr

Posted By: Customatic1969 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - July 01st 2020 3:48 pm
That's a really cool looking van. Keep on Truckin´
Posted By: NateB Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - July 01st 2020 4:11 pm
Looks great Lee!!
Posted By: Charlie 99909 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - July 01st 2020 5:07 pm
I'm so stoked to see more!
Posted By: SDMickey Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - July 02nd 2020 1:40 pm
" Mr. Lee " as they say: "Slow and Steady Wins the Race" smile
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - July 04th 2020 8:02 pm
Finished putting the "framework" on the front drivers side and then started tacking in the front metal.

[Linked Image]IMG-5853 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr

[Linked Image]IMG-5894 by Lee Hatfield, on
Flickr

[Linked Image]IMG-5890 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
Posted By: SDMickey Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - July 04th 2020 9:18 pm
Mr. Lee , it looks phenominal Sir as expected. Sorry for my memory lapse; what color do you believe you will go with ?
Posted By: newkirkinc1 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - July 04th 2020 11:20 pm
So friggin nice Lee!
Posted By: Frosty Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - July 05th 2020 12:51 pm
Amazing!
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - July 13th 2020 2:40 am
OK....finally finished the front corner....so much cutting and fitting. Now to finish the rest of the front air dam and then repeat the flares and ground effects on the passenger side.
[Linked Image]IMG-5972 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
[Linked Image]IMG-5979 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
[Linked Image]IMG-5968 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
Posted By: SDMickey Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - July 13th 2020 5:21 am
This is off the hook "MR. Lee". I'm imaging a MAD MAX Tribute Van,
Posted By: RockinRoger Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - July 31st 2020 8:21 pm
Any updates please been waiting ?
Posted By: newkirkinc1 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - August 01st 2020 1:19 am
Yes any Lee?
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - August 03rd 2020 1:23 pm
Haven't had much time to work on it the past two weeks as I have had kids and grandkids visiting.
I did pick up this van and will be pulling the motor and tranny out of it for the swap. Wife said I need to do it quick as she doesn't want 3 vans out at the garage!!!
Van that I will take motor and tranny from:
[Linked Image]van 1 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr

Then started the framing for the other side of the front grill/air dam area and then started fitting new metal. Hope to trim up new metal and weld in place today.
[Linked Image]van 2 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
[Linked Image]van 3 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
Posted By: newkirkinc1 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - August 03rd 2020 9:19 pm
Sounds like you better get busyer. lol
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - August 05th 2020 1:22 am
Ok.....got the top and center of the other front panel fitted and tacked on. Now have to trim the left side and along the front frame at the bottom of the spoiler and tack in place (hope to do that tomorrow) but I am starting to get a sense of what the front will look like.
[Linked Image]Van front by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
[Linked Image]van front 2 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
Posted By: SDMickey Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - August 05th 2020 2:12 am
"Dualing Vans". You are a Lucky Man Mr. Lee.
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - August 28th 2020 10:29 pm
Finished trimming and welding the other half of the front spoiler on.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]IMG-6474 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]IMG-6478 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
Posted By: Meanmachine Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - August 29th 2020 12:16 am
Looking good, thanks for the updates.
Posted By: newkirkinc1 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - August 29th 2020 1:23 pm
Just awesome Lee!
Posted By: RockinRoger Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - August 31st 2020 11:07 pm
looking good Great job !
Posted By: SDMickey Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - September 04th 2020 5:40 am
MR MR LEE. That front end "look" is off the hook. You are one talented Hombre ! ( when does Mopar or No Car open up ? ) cool
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - April 11th 2021 7:53 pm
Yanked the six cylinder out yesterday to make way for the 8 cylinder motor.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]Chop engine by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]Chop engine 2 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]chop engine 3 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
Posted By: SDMickey Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - April 11th 2021 11:28 pm
Nice progress.
Posted By: Lionhead Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - April 12th 2021 3:22 am
Here's a guy who knows what he's doing.
Posted By: lukester Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - April 13th 2021 7:56 am
Looks wicked !
Posted By: NateB Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - April 13th 2021 1:02 pm
Looking at the passenger side of the K-frame. Looks like Dodge used an adapter plate to mount the /6. I've never seen that before so I wonder if a V8 van will have an adapter plate as well.
Posted By: kursed Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - April 14th 2021 1:15 am
Looking amazing man as always. Love following your builds. Super inspiring.
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - April 18th 2021 2:37 pm
Looking at the passenger side of the K-frame. Looks like Dodge used an adapter plate to mount the /6. I've never seen that before so I wonder if a V8 van will have an adapter plate as well.
I don't think so compared to my 77 and the 78 that the engine came out of. Was a long adapter that went from the motor mount over to the slant six
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - May 10th 2021 4:19 pm
The chop is getting a new heart. Have to install a carburetor and a few more things and then hope to install it this weekend.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]Engine by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
Posted By: kursed Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - May 10th 2021 9:47 pm
Man that thing looks so good. Can't wait to hear it thumpin'.
Posted By: SDMickey Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - May 11th 2021 4:33 am
Nice Lee. Like kursed said: it would be cool to get a video of it when its running.
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - May 11th 2021 2:01 pm
I definitely will....as soon as I install and put the headers on I'll fire it up and record,,,,going to be loud!!!
Posted By: Meanmachine Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - May 11th 2021 3:31 pm
What type of carburetor are you installing on the motor.
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - May 11th 2021 5:13 pm
What type of carburetor are you installing on the motor.

I have a Carter 4 barrel going on
Posted By: kursed Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - May 12th 2021 4:07 am
Love me some Carter Carb man. I'm a Holley guy usually, but pop had one on his 70 C10 and we played with it on the Chevelle and loved it on both. It was so smooth.
Posted By: RockinRoger Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - May 12th 2021 4:10 am
Nice get it an fire it up
Posted By: SDMickey Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - May 12th 2021 6:28 am
Had a Carter on my only Mopar and I sure wish I had it now: after seeing the movie Vanishing Point; I bought a 1970 RT Challenger ' Gold with a 340 ; 4 barrel Carter and the slap stick auto trans. Second Owner.
Bone stock and she could move.
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - May 24th 2021 12:43 pm
Put the engine into the chopped van. Now have to install the carburetor, linkage, transmission, radiator.....and the list goes on. Kept the carburetor off (and almost left the intake off) due to the reduced room to work with going in through the passenger door due to the chop.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]Chopped van new motor 2 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]Chopped van new motor by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
Posted By: Meanmachine Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - May 24th 2021 1:57 pm
Awesome looking work you are doing to that van.
Posted By: newkirkinc1 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - May 24th 2021 11:09 pm
Awesome work you have done to it.Can't wait to see it done Lee!
Posted By: SafariTim Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - May 24th 2021 11:42 pm
Wow, amazing work. That back door just seemed to fall into place. Cant wait to see it complete!
Posted By: RockinRoger Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - May 26th 2021 3:59 am
Nice work I am waiting for more ...
Posted By: SDMickey Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - May 26th 2021 12:51 pm
It's looking so good Lee. Nice work as always.
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - June 07th 2021 12:13 pm
While the engine and transmission are out I decided to put new seals, switch and fittings on transmission. The last seal goes in today so I can get it back onto the engine and start hooking everything back up.
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]Transmission by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
Posted By: NateB Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - June 08th 2021 10:18 am
Don't forget the shift shaft seals! ;)
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - June 08th 2021 1:08 pm
That's the last seal I have to replace. Have never done one of those so want to make sure I don't mess something up on the inside when I remove the linkage.
Posted By: NateB Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - June 08th 2021 3:48 pm
That's the last seal I have to replace. Have never done one of those so want to make sure I don't mess something up on the inside when I remove the linkage.

There's actually 2 seals, one for the shift shaft and one for the kick-down shaft.
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - June 09th 2021 12:05 am

There's actually 2 seals, one for the shift shaft and one for the kick-down shaft.

I have never changed those before so I need to do some research. I was afraid if I just pulled those out I would mess up something inside.
Posted By: newkirkinc1 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - June 09th 2021 1:44 am
Thats the way to do it Lee!
Posted By: NateB Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - June 09th 2021 9:26 am

I have never changed those before so I need to do some research. I was afraid if I just pulled those out I would mess up something inside.

It's been an age since I've replaced those seals. All the A-100's I've had needed them replaced since it's a common leak point.
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - June 10th 2021 2:34 am
Put the last seal in tonight (the shift shaft seal) and installed a new neutral safety switch in the transmission so I will get the transmission installed tomorrow
Posted By: newkirkinc1 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - June 10th 2021 12:29 pm
Sweet bet ya can't wait!
Posted By: SDMickey Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - June 11th 2021 12:57 am
Nice progress Lee.
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - June 16th 2021 2:17 pm
Engine and tranny back in. Now to install the headers, hook up the linkage and wiring and fire it up!
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]Chop engine by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
Posted By: Lionhead Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - June 16th 2021 2:57 pm
Are you going to have that at the Nationals?
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - June 16th 2021 3:13 pm
Originally Posted by Lionhead
Are you going to have that at the Nationals?

Not this year.
Posted By: newkirkinc1 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - June 16th 2021 4:52 pm
Dam! Are you going?
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - June 16th 2021 7:38 pm
Was going to go with the other van this year but we are moving around the same time. I will be at Vanarama at Carlisle in August with the other van
Posted By: SDMickey Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - June 20th 2021 2:17 am
Nice install as Always Mr. Lee
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - November 11th 2021 8:46 pm
Finally got the side doors cut down to fit and I have finished all the flares and ground effects all the way around the van. Have to finish the top of the passenger door and then want to cut two recessed scoops in the hood and then the real fun begins....cutting the windshield and finding side glass that will work.
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]Chopped van side doors by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]chop effects by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]CE1 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]CE3 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
Posted By: kursed Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - November 11th 2021 9:07 pm
DAAAAANG! Man this thing looks so killer. I love going back through this thread and re-reading as well. Awesome job as always.
Posted By: Meanmachine Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - November 12th 2021 1:25 am
Probably one of the best build threads ever on the forum, beautiful work and fabrication. Lee, how do you plan to cut the windshield. I spent a career in the glass industry with PPG Industries. Windshield glass is heat treated and bent and laminated with a piece of plastic between the 2 sections of glass.
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - November 12th 2021 1:41 am
Probably one of the best build threads ever on the forum, beautiful work and fabrication. Lee, how do you plan to cut the windshield. I spent a career in the glass industry with PPG Industries. Windshield glass is heat treated and bent and laminated with a piece of plastic between the 2 sections of glass.

If I just had to cut across the top I would attempt it (I know a few people who have done it). But….I pulled the sides in so I have to cut across the top and down both sides. I think I am going to have it cut with a water jet.
Posted By: SDMickey Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - November 12th 2021 4:44 am
So nice Lee. And isn't this the van you got for Free? Awesome work.
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - November 12th 2021 1:58 pm
So nice Lee. And isn't this the van you got for Free? Awesome work.

Almost free. I paid $350 for it. Had to fix some rust and swap the motor. I always wanted to chop one but didn't want to invest too much money in case I screwed it up and had nothing but a scrap van left!
Posted By: Wedgy Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - November 12th 2021 8:32 pm

If I just had to cut across the top I would attempt it (I know a few people who have done it). But….I pulled the sides in so I have to cut across the top and down both sides. I think I am going to have it cut with a water jet.

Discretion, is the better part of valor! Water jet is some trippy action. Looking good Lee!
Posted By: Dyno_Dave Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - November 13th 2021 5:07 pm

I hope you can catch some action shots f that being done, along with the results.
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - November 15th 2021 10:38 pm
Started laying out and cutting the hood for the hood scoops.

This is the design I am trying to achieve:
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]Hood scoops by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr

Laid out the cut lines and then cut. The wood blocks are just there to hold it open and let the metal flex until I weld a 1/4" rod opening....then will have to fill in the sides. I plan on making the openings a little taller. I like where it is heading.
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]HS1 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]HS2 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]HS3 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
Posted By: SDMickey Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - November 15th 2021 11:45 pm
Unreal MR Mopar. So nice.
Posted By: Meanmachine Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - November 16th 2021 12:52 am
Looking good, thanks for the update.
Posted By: kursed Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - November 17th 2021 1:05 pm
I love those freaking scoops man. Very clean. I wish I could figure out what those darn rims were in the reference picture. I posted about that either here or on some of the vanner groups in Facebook trying to figure it out. They look like true knock-off three spokes, very cool. Can't wait to see the scoops all done.
Posted By: Meanmachine Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - November 17th 2021 9:30 pm
Newkirk might have some info on the rims, as he owned the van at one time. I also have several articles about Nautilus that may mention the type of wheels. Just finding the magazines would be another project.
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - November 17th 2021 11:33 pm
I love those freaking scoops man. Very clean. I wish I could figure out what those darn rims were in the reference picture. I posted about that either here or on some of the vanner groups in Facebook trying to figure it out. They look like true knock-off three spokes, very cool. Can't wait to see the scoops all done.

The magazine article that the picture came from just said that they were gold anodized wheels by Eccense. I don’t know if Eccense was the brand of wheel or the company that anodized the wheels.
Posted By: newkirkinc1 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - November 18th 2021 12:44 am
Looking aewesome Lee. I had those wheels at one time but he would not sell them to me.They were the original ones and last i heard they were still sitting in his front yard.
Posted By: 1959 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - November 18th 2021 1:26 pm
Looks great and I'm liking the scoop design!
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - February 13th 2022 7:30 pm
Finishing up the metal work on the van so I can start the bodywork. Finishing the passenger front door (what a PIA....everything changes....the top of the doors get longer, the widths don't match up etc) and started filling in the sides of the front scoops. Fitted the windows and realize I am going to have to make side glass (ughhh). When I chopped the top I decided to pull the sides in vs widening the roof so the curvature of the door glass changed (I was given a tip of someone else who had to make side glass of what car class to start with). Always something new on this project!
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]chopped van raw metal1 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]front window raw metal chopped van by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]front window chopped van by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]Hood scoop chopped van by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
Posted By: SDMickey Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - February 14th 2022 6:02 am
You are an Amazing talent Sir Mopar. bow
Posted By: Seattle Van Dude Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - February 16th 2022 4:43 pm
wow. Incredible craftsmanship! Very nice.
Posted By: Wedgy Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - February 16th 2022 10:01 pm
Looks kinda pretty massive and sinister with the quality craftsmanlike sheetmetal work. Nicely done! With paint it's gonna look Custom!
Posted By: SDMickey Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - February 16th 2022 10:07 pm
Have you picked out a color yet ?
Posted By: cornfarmer Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - February 16th 2022 10:15 pm
Niiiiiiiiiiiiice
Posted By: newkirkinc1 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - February 17th 2022 12:20 am
Awesome work lee and can't wait to see it. Nats this year?
Posted By: lukester Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - February 20th 2022 1:48 am
Awesome work.
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - February 28th 2022 2:48 pm
Hood scoops are done (just need a little touch up and need to find some screen/grate for the back of the scoops). I wanted to "break up" the spoiler as it was a lot of straight sheet metal so I cut and welded two closed scoops in the spoiler just to give it a little different appearance.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]Spoiler vent by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]Spoiler vent 2 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]Spoiler vent 3 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
Posted By: newkirkinc1 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - February 28th 2022 10:55 pm
I like it Lee!
Posted By: frscke1 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - February 28th 2022 11:54 pm
[url=https://flic.kr/p/2n66dwf][Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

On the end open it N put screen . on the inside route the air to your ft brake rotor & pads like they do in Nascar
Posted By: SDMickey Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - March 01st 2022 2:23 am
Nice work as Always Mr Mopar. SHAKE & BAKE shift
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - December 20th 2022 7:19 pm
Its been 10 months since I touched this van.....used all that time finishing up the 77 and getting it ready to take to shows and drive. Will be starting back on this one within the next week and my goal is to have all the mechanical stuff done and all the body work done and ready for paint by Spring!
Posted By: SDMickey Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - December 21st 2022 12:34 am
Can't wait for the pics !
Posted By: newkirkinc1 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - December 21st 2022 4:19 pm
yay gonna be nice!
Posted By: Underdog Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - December 21st 2022 4:26 pm
Looking forward to following along on your build and hoping to learn a few tips!
Posted By: Astrocreep66 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - December 21st 2022 8:13 pm
That is so much skill..unreal...
Posted By: MD VAN MAN Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - January 18th 2023 4:36 pm
Hello Lee,

Awesome project! I just read the whole build thread and very impressed with your work! This van is looking awesome (like your other one does...)

I am in the same "learning as you go" mode. Bought a welder and gradually improving as I work on my van and some other projects too. Not at your level yet but enjoying it a lot regardless.

Question - where do you get your steel for your projects? I'm in MD too (Annapolis) and I've ordered online, bought small pieces at home depot, and stopped once at BMG Metals off of Rt. 100 but they only wanted to sell full sheets and that is too big of a piece for me to handle and store without it getting rusty. Curious if you have a go-to supplier that I should check out.

Also wanted you to know that I'm *almost* road-ready so maybe I'll bump into you at cars & coffee or a cruise night relatively soon!
Posted By: frscke1 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - January 18th 2023 8:05 pm
My van got slammed the whole side of the van was wiped and I went to a JY to get my metal ... cost $400 for the whole side of that van

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Had them slice the whole side of a van to get me my metal....

They cut what they needed ....

As Big Red sits today ...

Posted By: DrCaldre Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - January 18th 2023 11:54 pm
Every time big red surgery photos pop up I'm happy. Reminds you what's possible. I guess I joined the van surgery club lately with new windshield metal.

Lee, when I talk about custom vans or this forum with people, sometimes they don't get it.

Then I pull up your build threads and they understand. Absolutely epic dodge vans man.
Posted By: newkirkinc1 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - January 19th 2023 12:34 am
Nice work there!
Posted By: SDMickey Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - January 19th 2023 3:51 pm
No doubt. These guys have extraordinary talents.
Posted By: SDMickey Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - January 19th 2023 3:53 pm
frscke1 : Was your metal work done at the same paint shop in Santee ?
Posted By: frscke1 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - January 19th 2023 4:40 pm
Yes but now he's not in business anymore ... Covid
Posted By: Wedgy Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - January 19th 2023 5:37 pm
That was a metric ton and a half of work, time, frustration, and money. Turned out nice! Cool to see it up close and give you a ride from the driveline shop. That alone was a long grind just to straighten out the entire driveline.
Good job Scott!

Off to WrenchaPart! Gday!
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - January 20th 2023 12:00 am
Originally Posted by MD VAN MAN
Hello Lee,

Awesome project! I just read the whole build thread and very impressed with your work! This van is looking awesome (like your other one does...)

I am in the same "learning as you go" mode. Bought a welder and gradually improving as I work on my van and some other projects too. Not at your level yet but enjoying it a lot regardless.

Question - where do you get your steel for your projects? I'm in MD too (Annapolis) and I've ordered online, bought small pieces at home depot, and stopped once at BMG Metals off of Rt. 100 but they only wanted to sell full sheets and that is too big of a piece for me to handle and store without it getting rusty. Curious if you have a go-to supplier that I should check out.

Also wanted you to know that I'm *almost* road-ready so maybe I'll bump into you at cars & coffee or a cruise night relatively soon!

There was a large metal shop in Glen Burnie that I got the metal for my grill and some other pieces (they had all styles, shapes and sizes) but they closed a few years ago. All of my metal has come from Lowes or Home depot - but I can only get 4 foot lengths. That's why on places like my side ground effects they are done in several pieces instead of one continuous piece.

Love to catch up with you at a cruise night, cars and coffee or local show.
Posted By: SDMickey Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - January 20th 2023 1:35 am
frscke1 : Lloyd's Collision & Paint in Santee closed ?
Posted By: frscke1 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - January 20th 2023 2:50 am
They didnt do the body work ...

My apologies for the hijack I thought MD VAN MAN was lookin for body metal ...

Again sry.
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - January 20th 2023 12:19 pm
Originally Posted by frscke1
They didnt do the body work ...

My apologies for the hijack I thought MD VAN MAN was lookin for body metal ...

Again sry.
No problem at all
Posted By: frscke1 Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project - June 29th 2023 12:38 am
Lee just said this a few minutes ago on another thread ...

.but you will start seeing a lot more progress pictures on the chop now!

Ready ..... lol
© Vannin' Community and Forums