Vannin' Home

1987 Dodge B250

Posted By: Deathorvictory

1987 Dodge B250 - May 31st 2019 1:19 am

Well I found this locally here in Portland. A real nice guy out in the suburbs owned this for the last 3 years, he bought it from the original owner and it’s very clean. I wanted a shorty but all that I find are trashed or way too expensive. It’s got 77k original miles, 5.2L 3 speed auto. Best part was that it was $1500. Really awesome base to work with.

Best part is there is not a spec of rust on this thing on anywhere besides a few surface spots on the back floor. Easy fix with POR15! He sprayed it black and it looks decent for now. I’d like to do gloss black and some cool graphics but I’m gonna work on the stance with new wheels/tires and some other stuff I’ve got up my sleeve.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Thanks for looking!
Posted By: Reed

Re: 1987 Dodge B250 - May 31st 2019 2:11 am

Nice score! Hopefully it doesn't have the horrid TBI system Dodge used from 88-91 before the Magnum engines were introduced. Nice clean slate.

Re: 1987 Dodge B250 - May 31st 2019 2:27 am

Thanks!

Still has a carb still. He said 1bbl, I didn’t look but that seems hard to believe. I’d assume a 2bbl carb

Btw, got my 79 purring like a kitten. Thanks for the help on the timing.
Posted By: lukester

Re: 1987 Dodge B250 - May 31st 2019 2:37 am

Great looking van.
Posted By: cornfarmer

Re: 1987 Dodge B250 - May 31st 2019 5:11 pm

Nice!

If you get new wheels/tires, I might be interested in those that are on it now. Keep me in mind......
Posted By: kursed

Re: 1987 Dodge B250 - May 31st 2019 5:52 pm

Nice solid start. Can't wait to see the progress.
Posted By: DontComeKnocken

Re: 1987 Dodge B250 - May 31st 2019 7:31 pm

Really nice ride, the floor looks solid, some POR will keep it looking nice. Looks badass with no windows too.
Posted By: Wizard78

Re: 1987 Dodge B250 - May 31st 2019 8:41 pm

Nice score smile

Re: 1987 Dodge B250 - June 01st 2019 1:06 am

Thanks everyone! Very stoked about this project! I’m gonna sell my white 79 and use the cash for this project and really have fun this summer.

@cornfarmer. If you want them they are yours. I’m going to be ordering new wheels and tires very soon. I’m in Portland so they’d be on you to come get. I’m gonna sell them either way but if you are sure about them and can come here, let me know!
Posted By: frscke1

Re: 1987 Dodge B250 - June 01st 2019 2:34 am

Originally Posted by Deathorvictory
Thanks everyone! Very stoked about this project! I’m gonna sell my white

When I 1st read it I saw Im gonna sell my wife ... lol

Re: 1987 Dodge B250 - June 01st 2019 4:30 pm

[Linked Image]

Hahaha

Re: 1987 Dodge B250 - June 01st 2019 5:33 pm

Thanks!

Still has a carb still. He said 1bbl, I didn’t look but that seems hard to believe. I’d assume a 2bbl carb

Btw, got my 79 purring like a kitten. Thanks for the help on the timing.

Yes. A 5.2 is a 318 and 318s were never built with a single barrel carb. It most likely has a Holley 6280 computer controlled two barrel carb and a lean burn computer controlling the ignition, as well. One of the first things i would do is swap on a non computer controlled arb and ignition system.

Re: 1987 Dodge B250 - June 02nd 2019 2:41 pm

I’ll definitely check for that. I’m going to put my eyes on everything and just see what I’m working with. We’ve been gone on a trip since we bought it and I’ve been itching to check it out some more.

I’m going to be registering it with special plates here in OR, which would allow me to remove all the smog equipment if I wanted to. I’d love for it to be as simple as possible and all that shit just gets in the way but we’ll see.

Re: 1987 Dodge B250 - June 03rd 2019 5:38 pm

@cornfarmer. If you want them they are yours. I’m going to be ordering new wheels and tires very soon. I’m in Portland so they’d be on you to come get. I’m gonna sell them either way but if you are sure about them and can come here, let me know!

Oooof that's a ~10 hr drive so maybe not, lol.

Re: 1987 Dodge B250 - June 04th 2019 5:55 pm

Reed - I definitely have the lean burn carb. I read through some old threads here and compared mine (has the wires running to the carb and no vacuum advance).

The 2280 carb and vacuum advance distributor seems like the easy part, what do I do about ignition? Ideally stock dodge parts. Is there an electric choke on the 2280?

Also how much of a computer is on this van? If it has one, what all does it control?

Re: 1987 Dodge B250 - June 05th 2019 3:42 pm

Gave this girl a wash and have been driving her around. We used her to haul some dirt for our planter beds this weekend and it was really nice using a van like a van. I ordered my wheels and tires for it and am very excited to share a photo once I get them.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: KeVan

Re: 1987 Dodge B250 - June 07th 2019 5:09 pm

Congrats on the van! Sure wish I could find one of those Dodge vans around here.

Re: 1987 Dodge B250 - June 07th 2019 5:13 pm

Thanks KeVan! I got lucky for sure I feel. Gonna really do this van right at every step of the way and not cut corners. I’ve been really inspired by others on this forum including Tuners blue Chevy van. These things deserve all the love and pride of ownership and since this thing is essentially a clean slate, I’ll have a lot of fun guiding where it goes from here.
Posted By: tuner4life

Re: 1987 Dodge B250 - June 08th 2019 1:13 pm

Hell yeah! You've got a great van to start from. Make it how you want it, don't make compromises! I can't wait to see what you come up with!

Re: 1987 Dodge B250 - June 10th 2019 7:03 am

Boring progress but really nice to see it clean up so well. I’m getting the floor cleaned and prepped before I do a little rust converter and primer. My OCD is really going to come out on this thing I can tell already.
Front of the van started like this. I removed all the factory rubber floor and insulation, vacuum, scrape, vacuum, scrub and clean all the years of dirt off the floor.
[Linked Image]

Found a small amount of surface rust but nothing terrible I little wire wheel won’t fix.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Couple questions for anyone who may know. As this is an 87, I’ve read this was a year of engine transition. I’ve read black painted blocks are LA 318 with a roller rocker cam set up. 318s that we’re blue we’re flat tappets. Anyone confirm this?

Also, curious as to how to remove this AC fan. It needs repairing but can’t figure out how to remove it
[Linked Image]
Posted By: newkirkinc1

Re: 1987 Dodge B250 - June 10th 2019 11:50 am

It did clean up nicely.

Re: 1987 Dodge B250 - June 10th 2019 12:07 pm

Wow that floor is in excellent shape!

Re: 1987 Dodge B250 - June 10th 2019 4:23 pm

The back where there was more use has some surface rust that’s a little deeper but that’s to be expected i feel like but there is zero rot, just a slightly textured surface. My other van, I found rust holes through the front floor so I was very nervous about what I’d find initially but quite relieved.

I just need to determine final rust prep sequence. I’m thinking loctite rust converter that becomes a primer surface or maybe POR15 for just the floor. I’m thinking I’m also going to rubberize the whole floor with brush on product so I just want to make sure I seal any rust before that goes down. Then a layer of sound deadener and potentially insulation and sub floor. Still undecided with the layering as of now.

Any good recommendations that you’ve used and work well?

Re: 1987 Dodge B250 - June 10th 2019 7:28 pm

I've had good luck with POR15 and Eastwood rust converter too. I think I prefer the eastwood stuff a little bit more. For the floors I used noico sound deadening from amazon.

Re: 1987 Dodge B250 - June 10th 2019 7:55 pm

Sneak preview of some beefy rear tire action. You are reading that right, 285/70/15. cool
[Linked Image]

Save this space for a wheel update very soon!

Re: 1987 Dodge B250 - June 10th 2019 7:59 pm

Did you do the whole floor area of just the areas with surface rust? I’m thinking I want to treat the current areas but also prime the whole floor to protect it before I do sound deadener. I’m using a very similar product called Kilmat. I’m doing their 80mil all in the front of the van/doors and will be using their 50mil for ceiling, sides and floor.

Re: 1987 Dodge B250 - June 10th 2019 10:37 pm

I did the spots that had surface rust but left the rest of the floor alone. In the case of my van I think it was rain water leaking in, and puddling on the floor that caused the rust spots so keep an eye on any water leaks, tend to the surface rust and you'll be good to go.

Those are some big ass wheels, bet they will look sweet

Re: 1987 Dodge B250 - June 11th 2019 3:49 am

Looking forward to seeing those tires . New wheels too ?

Re: 1987 Dodge B250 - June 11th 2019 4:15 am

Oh yeah. They’re getting mounted up tomorrow and I’ll have them on by tomorrow night if all goes well.
Posted By: NEmery

Re: 1987 Dodge B250 - June 11th 2019 6:28 pm

excited to see these tires!

Re: 1987 Dodge B250 - June 11th 2019 9:31 pm

Another teaser....
[Linked Image]

Re: 1987 Dodge B250 - June 11th 2019 10:07 pm

That passes as MEATY

Re: 1987 Dodge B250 - June 12th 2019 1:48 am

Oh yeah !

Re: 1987 Dodge B250 - June 12th 2019 4:58 am

Alright! So here she is with new wheels and shoes.

Got some polished Indy mag slots in 15x8s for the front with 245/60/15s. 15x10s with 285/70/15s in the rear.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Front end needs a 1-2” drop to get the right final stance. Debating dropped spindles or cut springs. But I’ll dial that in very soon.

ALSO! I bought a new NorCal wing from Kurt, who is AWESOME. Super helpful and really nice and got me this stuff quick. It’s only placed on there now.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Next phases coming up in the next 2 months, I can’t wait to keep progressing on this van!

Re: 1987 Dodge B250 - June 12th 2019 5:33 am

Looking good!

Re: 1987 Dodge B250 - June 12th 2019 12:29 pm

those wheels are nice! where did ya get them?

Re: 1987 Dodge B250 - June 12th 2019 2:11 pm

They are US Indy Mags, I actually ordered them from Les Schwab of all places. They were cheaper than other retailers on line and I could get them right down the street from my house.
Posted By: DadsVan

Re: 1987 Dodge B250 - June 12th 2019 3:08 pm

yup....you got a killer deal...will be following your build for sure...looks great with tire and wheel size....keep on keepin on

Re: 1987 Dodge B250 - June 12th 2019 3:49 pm

Good lord that stance is beefy!!

Re: 1987 Dodge B250 - June 12th 2019 5:09 pm

like whoa man

Re: 1987 Dodge B250 - June 12th 2019 7:18 pm

Feel some action in my pants...

Looking damn good

Re: 1987 Dodge B250 - June 12th 2019 7:52 pm

i feel dirty....ive logged in a few times today just to look at this BBV....[big black van]......does she have a name yet? i could see BLACULA or BLACKSNAKE-MOANS or BIG BLACK being suitable....aint laughin at ya...laughin with ya....this is gonna be a real dirty head turner....

Re: 1987 Dodge B250 - June 12th 2019 8:11 pm

Hahaha, thank you guys.

I’m actually not going to keep this van black. I’m not a real fan of flat black and it wasn’t done well (no jambs or really anything else). I’m getting a few quotes to get it painted since the body is so straight. You may notice in a few of the shots there are bolts in the side of the body and rear door. I’m going to fill those and do a little bit of body work and then have it painted. If I’m going to put effort into that, I’m going to get it a color I like. Plus I hate half ass work so this would bother me to no end. Haven’t decided just yet but leaning towards a metallic brown or a brown/gold mix so we can lay some panel graphics on it.

But for the time being, she’ll stay black as I get my list going of items I need.

Thanks for the kind words, stay tuned.
Posted By: Wizard78

Re: 1987 Dodge B250 - June 12th 2019 8:35 pm

Awesome

Re: 1987 Dodge B250 - June 13th 2019 4:29 pm

Lookin good man!

Re: 1987 Dodge B250 - June 13th 2019 10:37 pm

Enjoying the new stance on this girl! Drove it to work and got lots of looks. [Linked Image]

Going to be working on color matching and mounting the wing this weekend. I have a good plan in place for hardware and will document that process as I go along. But had to share.

Ass up, nose down!

Re: 1987 Dodge B250 - June 14th 2019 12:06 pm

looks great

Re: 1987 Dodge B250 - June 14th 2019 12:09 pm

I love it! Looks so mean!
Posted By: Rene

Re: 1987 Dodge B250 - June 14th 2019 2:04 pm

KILLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEER dude!!! Nice work!!
Posted By: Juntao_DW

Re: 1987 Dodge B250 - June 14th 2019 2:53 pm

wheels look awesome, amazing how straight those panels are
Posted By: Vannible_Lecter

Re: 1987 Dodge B250 - June 14th 2019 6:29 pm

Hey Bro, Hi.

Re: 1987 Dodge B250 - June 16th 2019 5:59 am

I hit the local yards quite a bit and usually come up on a few good items and lucked out when I found an early ram van bumper in really good shape. Here’s the comparison from old (right) and new (left) and mounted on the van. Small details but it looks much nicer.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: 1987 Dodge B250 - June 17th 2019 12:34 am

nice score...those headlight bezels are getting hard to find...ive been lucky enough to have scored an extra set from a junkyard to keep as backups....looking forward to pics of the norcal install and how you went about mounting it....

Re: 1987 Dodge B250 - June 19th 2019 7:03 am

I did some prep on the wing tonight to get it mounted. I was a little nervous doing this but my plan came together.

The wing itself is not all that thick, maybe 3/16" my biggest concern was getting a good bite into the fiberglass and I saw a post on this forum while doing some research that I thought was a good plan so I essentially went for it. I didnt want to rely on screwing directly into the wing and having the threads get damaged if I need to remove it at any point so here's what I did.

First step was to get it in position and mark it on the roof. I traced the base on the roof with a wax pencil and will use this outline later on. I marked both sides like this. The line is to mark where I planned to drill holes.
[Linked Image]

I struck a line across both sides of the bases like so and again, marked spots where I would drill holes, 3 on each side.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

These are the tools I used to accomplish this and the hardware I plan to use. Solid threaded steel insert (not a helicoil), grade 8 bolts, rubber washer and grade 8 washers, drill and tap.
[Linked Image]

Drilled pilot holes at each location.
[Linked Image]

Drilled larger holes per the tap size and tapped each holes
[Linked Image]

Test fit each hole for thread connections (removed the thread lock later)
[Linked Image]

Got prepared for each side. 2 part epoxy rated for 3400 psi. Hole drill bit was used later to turn the threaded inserts into place, it fit perfectly into those notches and allowed me to thread it in by hand.
[Linked Image]

I mixed the epoxy, used the chopstick to apply some epoxy into the hole ahead of time to the inside of the edges, then applied a liberal amount of epoxy onto the threads themselves, set them in and turned them down into the tapped threaded holes I made
[Linked Image]

The excess worked perfectly to grab the sides of the insert, I left them about 1/8" from flush as best I could on each hole. My plan is to also use another set of rubber washers between the roof and the wing itself isolating any connection between those two pieces.

Now they cure for 24 hours and I will move onto painting the wing flat black to match the van (wont be an exact match but this will look better than white while I wait to get it painted.

I will post more progress of how I templated each side and will use those templates to align with the outline of the room to mark the holes I need too drill in the roof.

My goal is that these threaded inserts, epoxied in like this will give it tons of strength and lots of surface area to have a bolt go into. Kurt also supplied snap toggle bolts which I will use as a final secured attachment once the van is painted and the wing will never come off again.

Re: 1987 Dodge B250 - June 19th 2019 12:18 pm

man that is PERFECT....that puppy aint gonna go nowhere....hell,you could even go with taller tires and take out hiway overpasses with the wing....NICE JOB...this will help alot of us wanting to use a norcal

Re: 1987 Dodge B250 - June 19th 2019 5:03 pm

A little thing that was disappointing (granted Kurt doesn’t make these) but he told me there was wood at the bases of wing so I thought i’d have more to screw into but this ended up ok. I have to chase the threads a little bit tonight. I was extremely careful to not get epoxy into the holes but even a little drop or string that ended up somewhere on the threads will cause a bind. But that’s pretty simple.

Re: 1987 Dodge B250 - June 19th 2019 9:38 pm

Nice work on the wing mounting it sure does look like a pain the butt. When I put on my cab visor I used double sided 3M tape and then a glob of silicone on each screw and (knocks on wood) have been leak free for a year.

Unrelated but damn that front chrome bumper looks damn good

Re: 1987 Dodge B250 - June 19th 2019 11:07 pm

Thanks! I've learned that double sided tape is the way to go. Dodges are tough because there's no drip rail above like the Chevy. I wish I used it on my other dodge to get it in place before I screwed it on. It's crooked and it bothers the crap out of me. Lessons learned. This van will get a visor eventually too so I will definitely do it better.

Re: 1987 Dodge B250 - June 23rd 2019 1:37 am

Got it all mounted, everything lined up great and it’s very secure. Looks super cool as well. One little step at a time.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: 1987 Dodge B250 - June 23rd 2019 3:40 pm

nice,finished ,clean installation.....looks great...now i gotta get one
Posted By: Astrocreep66

Re: 1987 Dodge B250 - June 24th 2019 2:40 pm

Nice look, that is a mean looking rig with the wing, professional install on that piece to boot..

Re: 1987 Dodge B250 - June 26th 2019 2:15 am

I like big butts.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Astrocreep66

Re: 1987 Dodge B250 - June 26th 2019 2:33 pm

Man that looks good😃
Posted By: 78VanMate

Re: 1987 Dodge B250 - June 30th 2019 6:38 am

Nice job on the install, looks awesome!

Re: 1987 Dodge B250 - July 03rd 2019 4:31 am

Working on the exhaust. Snagged a set of headers that I’m going to clean and ceramic coat
[Linked Image]

Have an idea for the design, purchased 4 of these tapered megaphone tips that I’m hoping to stagger like this before the rear wheel and turn up ever so slightly. 2 per side, side by side.
[Linked Image]

Sneak peak of something I’m thinking about also. My buddy James is hustling to sell me these. Last time I saw him he really worked hard on it, let me look back at them. Pretty sure these are gonna make it on the van
[Linked Image]

Re: 1987 Dodge B250 - July 03rd 2019 5:13 am

I think the widows would look awesome!

Re: 1987 Dodge B250 - July 03rd 2019 5:30 am

Cool! That van is really coming together.

Re: 1987 Dodge B250 - July 03rd 2019 5:03 pm

beer

Looking bad ass!
Posted By: Tyrus_Tha_Virus

Re: 1987 Dodge B250 - July 03rd 2019 10:17 pm

This van is sick! I dig the windows, its like a frickin Rocker's van!

Re: 1987 Dodge B250 - July 04th 2019 12:05 am

oh yeah....nice compliment to the norcal for sure....

Re: 1987 Dodge B250 - July 05th 2019 10:16 pm

Looks great man. Those ports would be killer too.

Re: 1987 Dodge B250 - July 07th 2019 12:48 am

I told my friend I’m going to take those ports off his hands. It’s too good to pass on.

Going to wait to do any mechanically related projects like
the headers until I have a few more parts (dealing with what to do on the smog ports) on hand and I really have been itching to clean up the wheel wells on this, it’s one of the first things I see as I walk up to this van. Again, it was originally cream and the PO, only sprayed the outside of the van so I’m taking care of things that really bother me.

Took the wheels off and both sides looked like this. Dirty, had overspray, road grime and chunks of rock and whatnot.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Washed, sanded and degreased.
[Linked Image]

Satin frame paint, rubberized wheel well coating. Wanted a more durable coating other than paint. This should hold up well. It will never be driven in snow, just rain at times.
[Linked Image]

This shit sucks, to be honest. It sprayed horribly on the second can and just got really thick, but oh well. Just don’t use this brand! I watched a few vids and none of theirs looked this bad. It was more a stream than a fan.
[Linked Image]

You can see this is the final result on the passenger side. I had to adjust the way I sprayed this side to atleast get it evenly splattered, I guess you could say.
[Linked Image]

Drivers side sprayed on way better but barely. It got all over my hands and was just a messy spray altogether.
[Linked Image]

I want to do the back wheels wells but need to do a bit more research on a better product before I do that. I may go see what I can find tomorrow.

Re: 1987 Dodge B250 - July 07th 2019 5:04 am

What a difference! Looks great, nice job.

Re: 1987 Dodge B250 - July 08th 2019 1:03 pm

3M 08881 is the only spray can undercoating that I have had any success with at all. If this stuff ends up not holding up, check into it ;)

Looks great though!

Re: 1987 Dodge B250 - July 08th 2019 5:41 pm

Thank you, they had that at O Reilly’s and I tried this stuff because it was $5 cheaper (I guess you get what you pay for) but looks like I’ll be getting a few cans of it.

The thing I’m most worried about with the product I sprayed on is that it doesn’t really feel like it’s going to fully dry. It’s fairly soft and I feel like any rocks will just get stuck to it. It’s been 48 hours now and is not confidence inspiring. Oh well...see how it goes I guess.

Thanks for the recommendation

Re: 1987 Dodge B250 - July 09th 2019 12:46 pm

^ the 3M stuff definitely dries to a nice finish. Here is a picture from when I was putting my front suspension together.

[Linked Image]

Re: 1987 Dodge B250 - July 17th 2019 2:53 am

Wow so it’s been a long 4 days but I got some huge jobs done.

Here’s a pretty succinct process
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Still have some sound deadening to add to the interior wheel arches and the valleys of the floor and then plywood will start soon.

Re: 1987 Dodge B250 - July 17th 2019 5:50 pm

Nice!

Re: 1987 Dodge B250 - July 22nd 2019 4:05 am

So I found out something interesting while making the template for the floor. Nothing sticks to Flex Seal liquid. I’m pretty sure it’s silicone based so anything with adhesive just peels off. shocked so I’ve come up with different ideas of how to deal with this. It really only affects me where there’s no plywood.

I templated the entire floor of the van with heavy construction paper. I took my time but wanted to make sure I got a really good fit so I didn’t have to screw it into the floor, it just would be locked in on it’s own.
https://i.imgur.com/Vr1dnmD.mp4

I laid out 3 pieces of 1/2” ply, traced the template over all three pieces at once so they line up properly once placed inside. I’m keeping the stock seat base studs so I drilled 1” holes for those knowing my template may not be 100% accurate there even though the paper went over all of them.

Cut, sanded and small little strips of wood to tie all the pieces together and she’s got a really solid floor now.
[Linked Image]

Re: 1987 Dodge B250 - July 25th 2019 4:56 am

Very stoked on how this van is shaping up. Greatly appreciate all the help and encouragement from many members here. Thanks for reading
[Linked Image]

Re: 1987 Dodge B250 - July 25th 2019 5:02 am

Looking good!
© 2019 Vannin' Community and Forums