Vannin' Home
Posted By: tvullo 87 B250 - February 11th 2019 7:05 pm
Just picked up this van a few weeks back, its an 87 dodge B250 originally from california that the PO had shipped to PA about 3 years ago. He mainly used it for his construction/carpet business.
318 V8 with 130000 miles and minimal rust; completely empty in the back aside from some old osb flooring that I promptly removed the night i drove it home.

Plans are to build a van for weekend camping with the wife and dog and daily driving in the summer. going to do a tuneup first thing then the real building will begin; Full size bed (short) across the back, laminate floor, portholes, insulation and paneling on wall and ceiling are just some of the things inside. Outside Im thinking side-pipes, CB Whip antenna, fan-tastic vent, and need to decide what wheels and tire to go with (the american racing wheels that came on it are nice but i want to put some meatier rears on, maybe 275-60's and possibly 225-60's up front)

Attached picture z.jpg
Attached picture x.jpg
Posted By: cornfarmer Re: 87 B250 - February 11th 2019 7:16 pm
Looks good!
Posted By: tvullo Re: 87 B250 - February 11th 2019 7:19 pm
Unfortunately I work full time and go to school, so night time is when most of the business happens on the van and I always forget to take good documenting pictures. I did the whole tear down and cleanup the night I got the van home, so unfortunately there are no 'before' pictures.

But I have already made some progress with very little photographic evidence, heres how the interior is starting to turn out.
New plywood sub-floor with carpet tiles on top for now to protect the plywood from my work boots while Im doing all the building.
The bed is sized high enough to fit my 235-75-15 spare and jack in the back portion and will have drawer storage in the front. the mattress will measure 54"x70" so a short full (Ill have to buy a memory foam and cut it)

In the meantime i also did a full tuneup (filters, plugs, wires, cap & rotor)

At the moment I'm waiting for my Dynamat to arrive so I can take some of the rattle out of the shell before I begin building the walls and ceiling panels.

Attached picture IMG_0355.JPG
Attached picture IMG_0356.JPG
Attached picture IMG_0357.JPG
Attached picture IMG_0363.JPG
Attached picture IMG_0362.JPG
Posted By: CatFish Re: 87 B250 - February 11th 2019 8:15 pm
Looking very good! My boss lady and I enjoy van camping very much. With a busy life, vanning is one of the best ways to spend real quality time together. Even better when you're retired... grin
You may already be aware that the first trip will literally blossom with new ideas and a whole set of new plans.
Swivel the passenger seat and it'll will feel like you doubled the space. I have a Dodge swivel pedestal for free if you were only closer.
Measure some futon mattress' as that's pretty close to your size and one would make a great foundation under the foam.
One thing some people miss:
If you're planning on sleeping (or anything else) crosswise be sure and reinforce the foot board wall. We sleep that way in our GMC and you always end up pushing against that wall with your feet to roll over or move. The interior wall needs to be stronger so that you don't break/crack it there during the night.
Love them pictures.
Posted By: newkirkinc1 Re: 87 B250 - February 13th 2019 12:23 pm
Looks very nice.
Posted By: Uncle_Fester Re: 87 B250 - February 13th 2019 2:40 pm
Looks great ! I am doing similar to my 91 B-250.....wood interior, bed, galley “kitchen” etc. keep up the good work and keep the pics coming !
Posted By: tvullo Re: 87 B250 - February 21st 2019 1:57 pm
Originally Posted by CatFish
Looking very good! My boss lady and I enjoy van camping very much. With a busy life, vanning is one of the best ways to spend real quality time together. Even better when you're retired... grin
You may already be aware that the first trip will literally blossom with new ideas and a whole set of new plans.
Swivel the passenger seat and it'll will feel like you doubled the space. I have a Dodge swivel pedestal for free if you were only closer.
Measure some futon mattress' as that's pretty close to your size and one would make a great foundation under the foam.
One thing some people miss:
If you're planning on sleeping (or anything else) crosswise be sure and reinforce the foot board wall. We sleep that way in our GMC and you always end up pushing against that wall with your feet to roll over or move. The interior wall needs to be stronger so that you don't break/crack it there during the night.
Love them pictures.

Thanks for the advice Catfish! Im currently on the trail for the swivel seat base, Theres a tradesman RV platform with the shell gone for sale locally, I've messaged the seller trying to coax him to part it out a bit.

Last night we had a good rain here so i put up furring strips and watched for leaks. I think i finally fixed my rain gutter leak, (the PO had put up a few hangers inside and one of his self tappers went a tad far into the exterior, oops) so hopefully tonight I can put in the dynamat, polyiso and start paneling, also scored a new cab carpet kit on evil-bay for 80$ that should be in next week; I think ill be plenty ready come spring.

Attached picture s-l1600.jpg
Posted By: Wedgy Re: 87 B250 - February 21st 2019 4:21 pm
Really looks nice. Good work! Plus that is a super clean 87 to start with. Score! Looking good there, on the road to success!

Work and Night school. Here, in America, One can turn that into a six figure income, without obtaining a degree.

Keep it up, and Van On!
Posted By: CatFish Re: 87 B250 - February 21st 2019 5:53 pm
Curtain around the inside front or are you gonna use an outside windshield cover for camping?
We use an outside cover made for a class C and have had no problems. We don't boondock or stealth camp. Always stay in campgrounds for the electric and the clean showers. There's no way to get by without AC in our part of the country.
Posted By: Wizard78 Re: 87 B250 - February 21st 2019 8:53 pm
Sweet Van
Posted By: tvullo Re: 87 B250 - February 24th 2019 2:08 pm
Had a pretty productive weekend,
Got the sound deadener, Polyiso, and the majority of the panels up; and yes that is a whiteboard ceiling, bring your dry erase markers! Also installed my CB antenna.
I stopped short of the back paneling because Im still trying to figure how to panel around that curve, its pretty tight. Also trying to figure out what i want to do in the free space, Im leaning on a small bench with cooler & storage from behind the driver up to the bed and leaving the rest wide open but am still uncertain; thats nothing that will hold me up though as this will be a work in progress driver.

Attached picture IMG_0390.JPG
Attached picture IMG_0389.JPG
Attached picture IMG_0388.JPG
Attached picture IMG_0383.JPG
Attached picture IMG_0382.JPG
Posted By: tvullo Re: 87 B250 - February 24th 2019 2:15 pm
Curtain around the inside front or are you gonna use an outside windshield cover for camping?
We use an outside cover made for a class C and have had no problems. We don't boondock or stealth camp. Always stay in campgrounds for the electric and the clean showers. There's no way to get by without AC in our part of the country.

Im planning on a curtain behind the seats, but was planning to make up some reflectix window covers as well that i can snap in from inside when parked, but now ill take a look into the windshield covers for motorhomes thanks!
We also plan on mostly camping at campgrounds for any extended stays. But the plan is a lot of overnight 'primitive' camping (if you can still call it that with a van)
Posted By: Dietrich Re: 87 B250 - February 24th 2019 11:16 pm
Score indeed, that's a good lookin B250, had a cream '88 myself but sold it a few months ago since it was running on propane and there weren't any propane stations where we were moving. Nice progress too.
Posted By: CatFish Re: 87 B250 - February 25th 2019 2:20 am
If you go with the FanTastic fan you'll need to fab up some screens for those tilt-out windows and let in the cool air. smile

BTW. I used cloth for our rear corners with light padding behind. Just a thought.
Posted By: cornfarmer Re: 87 B250 - February 25th 2019 7:48 pm
Cool idea on the whiteboard ceiling....
Posted By: tvullo Re: 87 B250 - February 26th 2019 12:53 pm
Thanks again for the advice catfish

If you go with the FanTastic fan you'll need to fab up some screens for those tilt-out windows and let in the cool air. smile

BTW. I used cloth for our rear corners with light padding behind. Just a thought.

Originally Posted by cornfarmer
Cool idea on the whiteboard ceiling....

It was a cheap way to put something on the ceiling for now (13$ for a 4x8 sheet) until i actually figure what the final upholstery will look like. Just itching to take her out for a few weekend trips
Posted By: tvullo Re: 87 B250 - May 19th 2019 7:46 pm
Ive slowly made some progress over the past few months,
New tires all around 225-60-15 F 255-70-15 R,
Walls covered with Mexican blankets,
finally purchased a futon mattress,
Laminate flooring done
Started the headliner

Heres a few pics that I just so happened to have on my phone in no particular order, Were hoping to take her out next weekend for the first overnight trip.

Attached picture IMG_0586.JPG
Attached picture IMG_0477.JPG
Attached picture XNDS8749.JPG
Attached picture MILD4085.JPG
Posted By: lukester Re: 87 B250 - May 20th 2019 3:28 am
Looks great man. I like the wall covering. Excellent idea. Sweet chopper too.
Posted By: kursed Re: 87 B250 - May 20th 2019 12:56 pm
Interior is coming along really well, looks amazing.
Posted By: cornfarmer Re: 87 B250 - May 20th 2019 5:30 pm
Lookin' good.
Posted By: DontComeKnocken Re: 87 B250 - May 21st 2019 12:19 am
Digging the wall blanket, looks good
Posted By: tvullo Re: 87 B250 - September 16th 2019 5:09 pm
Long time since my last post; I'm not gonna lie, I've been driving it more than working on it.
a little more has been done,
- Cal custom sticker mural
- Roof vent
- painted doghouse
- some decoration (mostly done by the wife)
etc...
As of right now Im preparing the van for a 4 barrel intake, Headers, Cam, and head porting; Just trying to liven up this small block a bit.

Attached picture IMG_0839.JPG
Attached picture IMG_0840.JPG
Attached picture IMG_0838.JPG
Attached picture IMG_0841.JPG
Attached picture IMG_0843.JPG
Attached picture IMG_0844.JPG
Posted By: Just4fun1991 Re: 87 B250 - September 16th 2019 7:58 pm
I think that is a rug on the wall isn't it? Anyway, very nice use of the rug. You've done well in the painting of the doghouse too! Love seeing the pics with your improvements!
Bob
Posted By: Reed Re: 87 B250 - September 16th 2019 9:20 pm
Looking good!
Posted By: tvullo Re: 87 B250 - March 08th 2020 3:01 pm
Its been a while since i last posted but I have been trying to keep busy between working on the van and other various motorcycle projects i have going On.
As for the van i have made some progress.

I got the engine back together using a 260H comp cam; 340 intake manifold, block hugger headers; re-ring, HEI distributor, valve job, aluminum radiator, street demon 625 carb, leading to true dual 80" sidepipes; I took it around the block for the first time on Saturday and everything feels good, just need to adjust the kickdown linkage and mechanically I think I'm good; definitely much peppier. I may convert to a magnum serpentine setup eventually and convert to AC and get a better air filter setup as I'm just running a 10" aircleaner under the doghouse.

I also scored a used visor on ebay for 160$, going to paint that soon but I'm going to wait and paint the whole roof as there is some rust developing in the roof ribs. Hopefully spring hits soon so i can start cleaning that up.

I'm not 100% on the mirrors, they feel kinda cheap (I halfway expected that for 30$) I'm keeping my eye open at the local junkyards for a heavier set.

Picked up some cool swivels from an RV part out, I think they match the overall interior decor very well. Also built an overhead console and installed the CB, Radio and switch panel and covered it with the quilted vinyl I got from ebay.

I made the bed able to turn into a couch (futon style) and dropped its height 3", so a 6'2" person can sit up without rubbing their head.

Lots of little things to do still, but the coming weeks I'm planning on focusing on this project as I'm planning on daily driving it soon.

Attached picture g.jpg
Attached picture f.jpg
Attached picture e.jpg
Attached picture b.jpg
Attached picture a.jpg
Posted By: Death or victory Re: 87 B250 - March 08th 2020 4:45 pm
Awesome! I’d love to do that work on my motor, would love to hear more feedback when you get a chance to drive it more. Visor looks good as well as the overhead console!
Posted By: tvullo Re: 87 B250 - March 08th 2020 5:20 pm
Originally Posted by Deathorvictory
Awesome! I’d love to do that work on my motor, would love to hear more feedback when you get a chance to drive it more. Visor looks good as well as the overhead console!

Thanks Deathorvictory,

Your vans coming along awesome, I'll definitely let everyone know more about how my engine holds up. Its my first engine rebuild that wasn't a motorcycle so Im a little nervous. it was also a super low budget rebuild too, i think I'm in it for less than 1000$ including all the parts. The Butt-Dyno says a large torque increase on the low end, But im waiting for the salt to be mostly off the road before i start daily driving it. Its basically rust-free underneath and around here (buffalo ny) that's super rare.
Posted By: Astrocreep66 Re: 87 B250 - March 08th 2020 10:27 pm
Man can you do that to my 86 b250...lol, that is a tough van.
Posted By: tvullo Re: 87 B250 - March 09th 2020 9:24 pm
Thanks Astro,

With the turn to warmer weather I got the bug to get moving on this project.
Needed to fill the old radio gap from where the head unit used to reside, and figured I’d relocate those extra gauges that used to be by my right knee (that is unintentionally kick every time I’d get in).
I 3D printed a face plate that clips, in that holds the gauges in my line of sight.

Attached picture 9BDAF6EB-0C39-435E-B0ED-3CF0CAC7183C.png
Posted By: newkirkinc1 Re: 87 B250 - March 10th 2020 1:00 am
Looking sweet!
Posted By: Death or victory Re: 87 B250 - March 10th 2020 4:45 am
That is too cool. Really like how you angled them towards you.
Posted By: tvullo Re: 87 B250 - March 22nd 2020 11:59 am
spent the past weekend being productive whilst isolating myself and made an overlay grill for the Van. Started as a GMC phantom grill and cut up from there. I think it turned out pretty good for less than 100$ investment and a few hours of my time. I know these third gen dodges are hard to find a custom grill for on the cheap so i decided to make one instead. Hope this idea helps the other third genners here.

Attached picture X.jpg
Attached picture Y.jpg
Attached picture Z.jpg
Posted By: Death or victory Re: 87 B250 - March 22nd 2020 5:55 pm
Nice! What did you attach it with? That looks really cool!
Posted By: tvullo Re: 87 B250 - March 22nd 2020 6:53 pm
Originally Posted by Deathorvictory
Nice! What did you attach it with? That looks really cool!

I attached it with several black cable ties on the black framing of the overlay to the original grill, in addition to several self tapping screws. it feels quite sturdy, especially in comparison of the plastic original grill. I'm just glad i finally came up with a way to make a cost effective improvement to the front of my van; the glory grills are wicked but just a little out of my budget right now.
Posted By: kursed Re: 87 B250 - March 23rd 2020 5:45 am
Looks like it was made for it, good job man.
Posted By: tvullo Re: 87 B250 - July 21st 2020 1:15 pm
After another long hiatus from signing in here theres been a couple updates to my dodge.
After a few camping trips and a couple change ups to the interior, I think its set up the way i like. It still needs a bunch of detail finishing but its 80% there. The thru storage under the bed is alot better than the old lift top bed I had, and the futon hinges work great for converting the bed to a couch.

Also started playing with actual paint for the first time, after taking care of my roof rust, installing a sunroof, and seam sealing the gutters I needed to paint the roof and I chose this gold urethane single stage; came out Ok but its definitely a 10 footer. also painted my doghouse and visor which came out way better than the roof.

Ive been daily driving this thing for about a month now and overall im pleased with my cam selection.
its not a power house, but it'll get out of its own way now. and has a good idle.
https://www.compcams.com/high-energy-212-212-hydraulic-flat-cam-for-chrysler-273-360.html

Attached picture 7.jpg
Attached picture 6.jpg
Attached picture 5.jpg
Attached picture 4.jpg
Attached picture 3.jpg
Attached picture 2.jpg
Attached picture 1.jpg
Posted By: Astrocreep66 Re: 87 B250 - July 21st 2020 2:15 pm
Dang tvullo you have been busy, that is one fine looking van. Love the mural
Posted By: tvullo Re: 87 B250 - July 21st 2020 3:03 pm
Originally Posted by Astrocreep66
Dang tvullo you have been busy, that is one fine looking van. Love the mural

thanks,
its a vintage cal customs vinyl that I cut out
Posted By: Death or victory Re: 87 B250 - July 21st 2020 3:35 pm
Very nice!
Posted By: SDMickey Re: 87 B250 - July 22nd 2020 11:40 am
Great find. Nice work.
Posted By: tvullo Re: 87 B250 - June 15th 2021 1:04 pm
Long time since i last posted, Been a busy year Moving into a new place; But I Finally have a garage I can pull a car into so it was well worth it.
The van sat dormant for the most part until 4 weeks ago or so, but i finally got the bug to clean her up a bit and took out the cracked windshield, painted the dash, got i a new windshield in (which was a real P.I.T.A.) lowered the front about 1-1/2" with a coil cut, Ball joints, took out the old 2" blocks on the rear axle, Installed proper seat swivels I pulled out of a junkyard Van. (Was using universal RV swivels before that had a lot of slop). And now im trying to track down a leak in the Floor vent, so I can finalize some carpet in the front without worry of soaking it through again.
All of this is in effort to make it to the NATS this year, Im really hoping i can make it at least for a Fri-Sun Trip.

Attached picture dash 3.jpg
Attached picture dash.jpg
Attached picture dash2.jpg
Attached picture van.jpg
Posted By: cornfarmer Re: 87 B250 - June 15th 2021 3:55 pm
Sweet garage!
Posted By: SDMickey Re: 87 B250 - June 15th 2021 10:37 pm
No doubt. That's a small warehouse !
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: 87 B250 - June 16th 2021 1:55 pm
Looking good. Great garage
© Vannin' Community and Forums