Vannin' Home
Posted By: rexrogers '76 Chevy progress... - July 28th 2018 9:39 pm
Got some new tires on the van today. Went with Cooper 255 70/R15 all the way around. Wasn't sure exactly what I wanted so figured I'd drive on these while I work on the van.

Also picked up some graffiti remover from Walmart and used it to remove the rattle can primer spots done by DPO. It stripped the wax and maybe just a tad bit of the original paint but generally you can't tell. I'm gonna put some touch up paint on any bare metal and then wash and wax the thing at some point in the near future. Overall it looks a lot better. I'm planning on more or less leaving the body and paint alone and driving it as is. Same with the walls and ceiling of the interior. Just clean it up, get it stable, stop or slow the deterioration.

I found the passenger side door had it's glass and with a few tweaks was able to roll the window up. Driver's side glass and mechanism had fallen down into the door. I was able to more or less put it back together and get that one rolled up. The glass must be from wrong year it doesn't fit right. But it's enough to keep critters and the occasional rain out of the cab mostly.

Van is legal and with new tires is now it's safe for me to drive. Gotta address the door latches and get the vent windows to stay open. It's hot in Texas!

Before:
[Linked Image]

After:
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Dyno_Dave Re: '76 Chevy progress... - July 29th 2018 1:53 am
The new shoes look good.
Posted By: newkirkinc1 Re: '76 Chevy progress... - July 29th 2018 10:52 pm
They do look great on it.
Posted By: whyitsdone Re: '76 Chevy progress... - July 31st 2018 4:04 am
Thats one good looking van! Perfect base to start from.
Posted By: rexrogers Re: '76 Chevy progress... - August 04th 2018 7:50 pm
Replaced my driver's door hinge pins and bushings today. Door was so bad it had to be lifted to latch and unlatch. Clearly been that way for many many years as inside of dogleg paint was all rubbed off. I ordered replacements off of eBay cheap.

Unbolted hinges from door and removed door. Ended up having to cut the pin between the hinge points. Then bang, drill, and bang more to get the top and bottom pieces of pin out of the hinges.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

One of the hinges was bent so had to straighten that up. Then install bushings and pins. Pins were too long so had to cut them off short. Some very minor adjustment and touch up paint. Door works great!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Not the fanciest job but a million times better than it was. Works and fits the "level" of the van at this point. Will have to do same job to other doors. At some point. All my window mechanisms and door latches/handles need attention as well. And weatherstripping/rubber. All in time.
© Vannin' Community and Forums