Vannin' Home
Posted By: HomeBrew What if I'd rather be high? - August 09th 2007 3:33 pm

Do they make kits to raise the van?

I camp a lot and I take my van places that even someone in a 4x4 truck may hesitate to follow me. I'd like to have enougth clearance to drive over a 6 pack of Sam Adams and not knock it over. I've also considered making a skid plate so I dont bash my oil pan on a rock, in the middle of the boon docks.

Has anyone done this?

Posted By: leadfoot Re: What if I'd rather be high? - August 09th 2007 3:37 pm
are 6 packs a common road hazard out there?
i know a few vanners that would move there if they are ;)
what kind of lift. body and or suspention, and what kind of budget
decides if anything is possible, but anything is possible ;)
Posted By: Virtual Re: What if I'd rather be high? - August 09th 2007 4:03 pm
What kind of van do you have ? That would help those who have done it before or for us to point you in the right direction. There are quite a few van owners over at astrosafari.com who have lifted their AWD and 2wd vans.
Posted By: Doc 2% of Canada, EH!!!! Re: What if I'd rather be high? - August 09th 2007 4:18 pm
Leaf springs are easy, just put in blocks between the springs and the housing, and get longer shocks and frame to diff brake line..

The front is more difficult as you have to deal with coils usually, and steering geometry, caster and camber as well.

Once you post the make of van someone will probably be able to help you with specifics...

There are also 4 x 4 shops around that can assist you with the pieces and the engineering
Posted By: Superbeast Re: What if I'd rather be high? - August 09th 2007 4:45 pm
http://www.overlandvans.com/
Posted By: HomeBrew Re: What if I'd rather be high? - October 23rd 2007 3:52 pm
oh far out! Thanks for the link!
Posted By: Boopvanner Re: What if I'd rather be high? - May 27th 2009 7:18 pm
Just lifted my 2 wheel drive Astro.....cost $250.00...new front HD coils $150.00 (1 inch difference in height), 1 inch spacer below the coil(in turn raises the van 3 inches)$45.00, a set of 2500 series truck leaf springs (from the wreckers) $60.00

Then an allignment and camber adjustment....(all in all 4 inches in the front and 6 inches in the rear)

With the rear springs I kept the main spring attached to the van and added 4 leafs from the Pickup springs to the main spring...5 leafs total

Might consider the frame spacers yet for the front....I have a set of 2 inch blocks and extended shackles for the rear (another 4-5 inches) but I think I'm tall enough back there
Posted By: Snotty Re: What if I'd rather be high? - May 27th 2009 11:38 pm
Boop we need pics
Posted By: Superbeast Re: What if I'd rather be high? - May 28th 2009 11:42 am
Really Dave! You should know better than to tell us all that without showing us a picture grin
Posted By: Gloworm_Dee_Jaye Re: What if I'd rather be high? - May 28th 2009 12:50 pm
yeah pics
Posted By: Boopvanner Re: What if I'd rather be high? - June 05th 2009 12:12 pm
Ok holy crap.....relax...lol

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Posted By: vanatic05 Re: What if I'd rather be high? - June 05th 2009 12:15 pm
smile thanks for the pics..all is calm now lol
Posted By: Boopvanner Re: What if I'd rather be high? - June 08th 2009 6:05 am
I got under the van and raised it by another 2 1/2 inches, this time adding another 2 1/2 inches blocks between the frames e

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Superbeast Re: What if I'd rather be high? - June 08th 2009 1:15 pm
Sweet! The new van looks great. Gonna paint it?
Posted By: Boopvanner Re: What if I'd rather be high? - June 08th 2009 1:25 pm
Why its grey, and can be touched up easily....lol
Posted By: Superbeast Re: What if I'd rather be high? - June 08th 2009 2:09 pm
Originally Posted by Boopvanner
Why its grey, and can be touched up easily....lol

Good answer grin
Posted By: Wizard78 Re: What if I'd rather be high? - June 08th 2009 4:22 pm
Nice
Posted By: Gloworm_Dee_Jaye Re: What if I'd rather be high? - October 10th 2009 2:09 am
nice
Posted By: lukester Re: What if I'd rather be high? - October 10th 2009 2:48 am
Looking good.

The title of your post is a little misleading angel

I guess its only 4:20 here in Florida right now.
Posted By: Uncle_Fester Re: What if I'd rather be high? - January 21st 2010 6:09 am
What size tires on that Astro now, and what do you plan to run on it?
Posted By: HomeBrew Re: What if I'd rather be high? - April 20th 2010 9:07 pm
yeah

Oh Cool! I like how it looks sitting a bit higher. How does it handle on the the freeway? Like it did before or does it feel diffrent?
Posted By: draggnastro Re: What if I'd rather be high? - August 05th 2010 12:37 am
ive been thinking about lifting the new astro, i had one lifted before. did a 3 inch body lift in the front and 3 inch blocks in the back. Ran a 20x10.50x15 AT tire all around. Handled like stock, just remember to extend the slip joint inthe steering
Posted By: starwars Re: What if I'd rather be high? - August 26th 2011 4:36 am
kool
© Vannin' Community and Forums