Vannin' Home
Posted By: trent_maka 1989 G20 Intermittently losing power - August 09th 2022 1:50 am
1989 Chevy G20 conversion van. recently the van has been losing electrical power randomly. this means when driving, it shuts off and for several seconds it has no power. after a few seconds the dash lights/blower motor etc all come back on and the van will start back up as if nothing happened. the problem seems to occur at low speeds when turning, coasting, or slowing down. does anyone know what could cause this or have any ideas? Thanks
Posted By: shaggy Re: 1989 G20 Intermittently losing power - August 09th 2022 9:07 am
I'd be chasing your earth straps, starting with the main battery to block strap. Remove, clean, sand and replace if necessary.
Posted By: soundhd Re: 1989 G20 Intermittently losing power - August 09th 2022 2:59 pm
Check all the Ground connections, even those going to the body/frame.......
Posted By: Rusty Pancelode Re: 1989 G20 Intermittently losing power - August 19th 2022 5:04 pm
Yep... Sounds like a grounding issue.

The first thing I'd do is pull both battery terminals off, clean them, and check to see if there's anything loose/questionable in that area.
If not, follow the cables to their next connection and check there.

I've had that issue with several old cars, a 2005 F-150, and even a Reliant Realto. LOL
Posted By: shaggy Re: 1989 G20 Intermittently losing power - August 19th 2022 5:37 pm
I had the same issue with a Reliant Scimitar, didn't think I'd be seeing mention of Reliants on here!!!
© Vannin' Community and Forums