Vannin' Home
Posted By: Killawattz Starts and Runs Fine then Shuts Off - September 14th 2020 7:16 pm
As the title states, my 94 G20 will start and run just fine, but then within about 5 seconds it just shuts off. If I press the gas pedal it still tries to die. It's got a check engine light, but I don't curently have a jumper wire to see what it says. My gut is telling me its fuel? Any insight appreciated.
Posted By: Meanmachine Re: Starts and Runs Fine then Shuts Off - September 15th 2020 12:21 am
Possibly fuel pump.
Posted By: Killawattz Re: Starts and Runs Fine then Shuts Off - September 15th 2020 12:59 am
Pulled the engine code, it was 54 for fuel pump relay, found relay under the hood, smacked the shit out of it with a screw driver, it works now.
Posted By: wrcsixeight Re: Starts and Runs Fine then Shuts Off - September 15th 2020 6:42 pm
I've opened up relays and cleaned the gunk off the main contacts, but they crusted up again surprisingly quickly, and I just got a new relay. They wanted crazy money for the ones with the shroud which allows for easy upside down mounting for shedding rainwater

I just got a standard bosch relay and glued a plastic L bracket to it and smeared the underside with Dielectric grease.

can always jumper the 86a to 30 terminals in an emergency, or is it 87, anyway the two terminals with the fatter wires.
Posted By: Killawattz Re: Starts and Runs Fine then Shuts Off - September 15th 2020 11:04 pm
I just replaced it. Pretty sure the one that was on there was from the factory, so the relay was old enough to have finished a masters degree.
Posted By: frscke1 Re: Starts and Runs Fine then Shuts Off - September 15th 2020 11:52 pm
New parts arnt ALWAYS good even in a box...Ive bought a coil that lasted 2 days and a couple that didnt even work out of the box
© Vannin' Community and Forums