Vannin' Home
Posted By: rain_dog 4L60 / 700r4 shift issues - tv cable? linkage? - September 16th 2019 4:40 pm
I'm having some shifting issues with my stock 4L60 (700R4, pre-4L60E) in my 91 Vandura, hopefully somebody can shed some light on these.

My issue seems similar to what bowtie overdrives call Long Spring Syndrome. It seems like it delays upshifts like the throttle is pressed harder than it is, and the torque converter unlocks pretty hard (maybe with a downshift to 3rd, I can't tell for sure) at 55mph / highway speeds on approaching a mild hill if you give it any additional throttle.

I've tried adjusting the tv cable by the stock method, but it doesn't really ratchet out on its own with the self-adjustment. If I hold the button back in while opening the throttle, the cable will ratchet out, but I'm not sure if that's too far or if that is an acceptable way to adjust things. Is the tv cable supposed to be have any slack at idle with no throttle?

My problem is that my current tv cable and throttle linkage look different than any other photos I've seen. The tv cable has a cylinder on the end, and a different style adjuster button than any I've seen. And the throttle linkage is circular, with the throttle cable wrapping around it in a slot and the tv cable wrapping around it in the other direction in another slot. Is this the right linkage for a 305 TBI, or was this replaced with something else at some point?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: jcd74 Re: 4L60 / 700r4 shift issues - tv cable? linkage? - September 17th 2019 12:00 am
Hold the throttle wide open with your hand at the TBI. Check the tension on the tv cable there should be no slack If you have slack, press the pedal down and check for full throttle, no full throttle? make a adjustment to the throttle bracket. Bend it back if you have to, is the throttle cable shot? With the throttle wide open hold the tv adjustment button down and push the tv cable housing foward as far as you can, release the tv button, and check again. This all assumes you have a tv cable problem.
Posted By: jcd74 Re: 4L60 / 700r4 shift issues - tv cable? linkage? - September 17th 2019 11:48 am
Opps right hand button left hand push cable back. Doing this in a van is easy you can do this from the drivers seat, in a car you need 2 people.
© Vannin' Community and Forums