Vannin' Home
Posted By: abcde06991 Van cutting out while driving - July 26th 2018 7:36 pm
I have a 95 G20 with a 350. I've had a problem with the motor ever since I got this van. It's pretty minor so I figured I'd just get around to it later. What happens is when I'm driving, it usually happens downhill, and I let up off the gas it starts to stutter/cut-out/surge or whatever, I don't know what to call it. You can feel the van slightly going back in forth when it happens, and it's almost as if its trying to die while I'm driving. Sometimes it'll do it a bunch, sometimes it won't at all, and it happens so little I figure it's not a big deal. Used to happen a lot more when i first got the van, but now that I've replaced pretty much everything on top of the motor and tuned it up, it has ran better. Replaced coil, timing cap and rotor, spark plug wires, rebuilt the throttle body, and other misc. stuff. I figured that'd solve it but it persists. Also just sitting in the driveway, giving it a bit of gas, it starts to surge, rpms go up down up down.

Any help with this would be appreciated, thanks.
Posted By: CatFish Re: Van cutting out while driving - July 26th 2018 8:57 pm
Pull your codes?
I'd look to see if there are any codes in memory first.
I assume you've changed the fuel filter, PCV valve and checked the ignition timing.
Posted By: abcde06991 Re: Van cutting out while driving - July 26th 2018 9:34 pm
Fuel filter and the fuel pump were changed also, and the timing was checked. The PCV valve I haven't changed, that could be the issue?
Posted By: Reed Re: Van cutting out while driving - July 26th 2018 10:11 pm
Is the fuel pump internal on the fuel tank? If not, could be a partially clogged fuel pickup.
Posted By: abcde06991 Re: Van cutting out while driving - July 26th 2018 10:57 pm
It's internal
Posted By: Rusty Pancelode Re: Van cutting out while driving - July 27th 2018 4:41 am
Look at the injector spray pattern while it's idling. If it looks like the fuel is dripping instead of spraying the injectors are clogged.
Probably wouldn't hurt to run some cleaner through them anyway.
That's the first thing I do when I get a surging idle.

Another thing to consider is the EGR valve. Sometimes it can give you symptoms that seem fuel related.
© Vannin' Community and Forums