Vannin' Home
Posted By: jcd74 TBI loss of power - June 02nd 2018 4:31 pm
I am wondering if anyone else has had this problem. I have a sudden loss of power to the ECM, the observation is no check light, and the fuel gauge pinned on full. I going to take care of the obvious things today and get rid of the fusible links and switch to maxi fuse block. The common sense thing to check is the loss of the fuel sender and back pedal to the battery. I am afraid fixing the fusible links may not fix my problem as it is running now and I am wondering if anyone had the same problem and knows what the proper fix is.
Posted By: jcd74 Re: TBI loss of power - June 02nd 2018 4:34 pm
Ohh, sorry 89 G30 454, turbo 400
Posted By: frscke1 Re: TBI loss of power - June 02nd 2018 5:28 pm
Does it still have the original "pancake style" muffler ?

Mine had a loss of power & that was what fixed mine. No air thru no power
Posted By: jcd74 Re: TBI loss of power - June 02nd 2018 8:03 pm
https://www.flickr.com/photos/151407392@N07/shares/b0HV90
Nope, electrical problem.
Posted By: Wedgy Re: TBI loss of power - June 02nd 2018 9:31 pm
Originally Posted by jcd74
I am wondering if anyone else has had this problem. I have a sudden loss of power to the ECM, the observation is no check light, and the fuel gauge pinned on full. I going to take care of the obvious things today and get rid of the fusible links and switch to maxi fuse block. The common sense thing to check is the loss of the fuel sender and back pedal to the battery. I am afraid fixing the fusible links may not fix my problem as it is running now and I am wondering if anyone had the same problem and knows what the proper fix is.

Well, I once had an electrical problem with a short in the dash behind the instrument cluster on a Chevy work truck that scared thee Crap out of me with a huge puff of smoke. Drove fine, kept right on going, lost half the instruments at least!
White Knuckle drive, straight to Escondido Auto Electric. Short in the Cluster. The guys were laughing when I came in.

Smelled like the 4th of July...

A real ClusterShort for sure.

I'll look in my 1990 FSM book sitting right here, as I have the zaxt same drivetrain as you, see if it says anything. I do suspect, hopefully, just a short.

Are those the only 2 symptoms?
Posted By: jcd74 Re: TBI loss of power - June 03rd 2018 11:42 am
When it happens everything else works. The problem is if it's working I can't find the problem. This started about two weeks ago, found one bad connection at the fuse box connector at the firewall. Fixed it made it home, next day stuck down the block, good for a week, problem for 20 min, ect.
Posted By: Wedgy Re: TBI loss of power - June 03rd 2018 12:16 pm
GM jc,

Ok Eh!

Intermittent short causing no power to the ECM, causing vehicle to quit running. No codes.

Curious, Once it's running, did you check for any codes?

And they say that 30 year old Dodge wiring is crap...

Posted By: jcd74 Re: TBI loss of power - June 03rd 2018 12:31 pm
Checking right now, it just dawned on me when I changed the heater core, I lost the screw for the speed sensor and left it loose behind the dash. I thought it was for the cruise control. I wonder if I will get that code.
Posted By: stevanner Re: TBI loss of power - June 23rd 2018 2:12 pm
Thinking out loud...I don't think the codes, if they even come up, get very specific.
© Vannin' Community and Forums