Vannin' Home
Posted By: Samantha 1991 Chevy G30 Cranks but no start - May 03rd 2018 7:33 pm
I have a 1991 Chevy G30 5.7 van. When I drive it for awhile and shut off for a bit, like to go eat, then come out it doesn’t want to start. It would eventually. I changed the fuel filter, pump, and now the pump relay and it doesn’t what to start. After I changed the relay it started and then I let it set and it doesn’t want to start again. It doesn’t sound like the pump is running now either. What else do I need to be checking?
Posted By: frscke1 Re: 1991 Chevy G30 Cranks but no start - May 03rd 2018 7:50 pm
Welcome to the site Samantha ...check all electric connections for corrosion, that white or yellow powdery stuff, the battery cables & the starter end of those cables. Do you have power to the rest of the van when it doesnt start

Under the distribution cap is the coil a flat black item with 2 plugs on it, may need a cap & rotor but I bet the coil is on its way out. .

Again welcome
Posted By: astarfitter Re: 1991 Chevy G30 Cranks but no start - July 11th 2019 3:53 am
Check your distributor, and rotor. Really, I was as surprised as you will be.
Posted By: Wedgy Re: 1991 Chevy G30 Cranks but no start - July 11th 2019 1:26 pm
Hi Sam, astarfitter, Welcome to the Site. yeah astarfitter, frscke1 are correct chevyZ are fussy, they will not run with a bad cap and rotor. Mine would not even start. 30 year old plug wires might need replaced as well.

Good you R&R'd the fuel pump too. Good Wrenching!
Posted By: Just4fun1991 Re: 1991 Chevy G30 Cranks but no start - July 11th 2019 2:44 pm
I am no mechanic by any means, nor do I like to play one at night! On my 1991 G20 van when I purchased it, I too had to replace the fuel pump and filter. The one thing I did notice on close inspection was that MICE had chewed away at the fuel pump wiring and I had to splice new wires in place. Did you check close the wiring. Only takes a slight movement for the wire to not make contact and NO PUMP.

One thing you can do is "leave the dog house" off and drive it for a while and then when you go to restart you have access to pull the air cleaner cover off to see if it is getting fuel.

Not a big fan of intermittent issues like you have, course I don't know anyone who is through either....
Posted By: CatFish Re: 1991 Chevy G30 Cranks but no start - July 11th 2019 4:03 pm
This post is over a year old......... just sayin'
Posted By: Astrocreep66 Re: 1991 Chevy G30 Cranks but no start - July 14th 2019 10:12 pm
That's a lot of cranking must have a nuclear battery.😂
© Vannin' Community and Forums