Vannin' Home
Posted By: Ed Is Not My Name Bubble Window Installation Considerations? - August 02nd 2022 4:02 pm
Howdy all. I have two vintage bubble windows I’ll be installing over the course of the summer, a heart and a teardrop. Despite this being a very common aftermarket modification back in the day, I can find very little information online for how to do it properly.

On the surface it looks straightforward; cut hole, install window, seal with butyl tape.

Clamping the trim ring down tight sounds like a recipe for warping the side panels. To avoid that, I plan to make up shims or spacers to bridge the curvature on the inside with the inner trim ring. For the outside, instead of butyl I’m considering windshield urethane to fill the gaps.

Most importantly, I’ll take a pile of photos to make up some kind of instructional walk-through for other amateurs like myself.

So before I start cutting holes, does anyone have any tips? Installation suggestions? Other considerations? Thanks!
Posted By: SDMickey Re: Bubble Window Installation Considerations? - August 03rd 2022 4:32 am
I'd reach out to Charlie99909 . Good luck.
Posted By: Charlie 99909 Re: Bubble Window Installation Considerations? - August 03rd 2022 4:53 pm
The butyl tape is more than enough for the windows. You don't want to glue the ports to the sheet metal so much as make to it water tight. Pick a spot where the curvature isn't too crazy, but some ports have a very slight curve to them, especially the larger ones. You have two smaller ones so it won't affect the curve too much. These weren't a super complex piece of engineering, just meant for the enthusiast to install in their own garage. If you plan to use the inner trim ring to hold onto an interior panel, I would stick some furring strips or foam cut to size against the interior of the sheet metal to keep it from buckling.
Posted By: Astrocreep66 Re: Bubble Window Installation Considerations? - August 03rd 2022 7:32 pm
I will use the same instructions on a roof vent I am replacing in my Dodge
Thanks Charlie, you’re the man.

Neither of my bubbles have any curvature to their frames. I placed the trim ring against the panel to get an idea of what I’m dealing with, and it’s just short of 1/4” gap at the top and bottom. Would stacking a little more butyl tape as it tapers toward top and bottom suffice?

Thanks!

Edit, Photo for reference:

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
© Vannin' Community and Forums