Vannin' Home

Installed new door seals, can’t get side swing out doors adjusted properly

Posted By: amcochrane

Installed new door seals, can’t get side swing out doors adjusted properly - February 19th 2019 11:15 pm

Hey guys and gals,

I’ve got an 86 g20 and decided to replace the torn up seals on the swing out side doors as well as the rear cargo doors.

I started with the side doors and the seals clipped in without a problem. As soon as I tried to close the doors I noticed they are now WAY out of adjustment(no issues before replacement). I’m at my wits end loosening and tightening the hinge bolts to get them right. Does anyone have any experience with this or any tips/tricks?

Greatly appreciated,
Aaron
Posted By: Meanmachine

Re: Installed new door seals, can’t get side swing out doors adjusted properly - February 20th 2019 12:02 am

When you say "out of adjustment", do you mean the doors won't close completely shut. Anytime I installed new weatherstrip, I had to let the doors half latched for a few days till the rubber compressed. Installing new weatherstrip should not of changed the hinge adjustment or alignment on the doors. Be careful trying to close them. I have seen doors bent or buckle because guys were using to much force to try to close them. Also sometimes the new weatherstrip is a thicker bulb than the original.

Re: Installed new door seals, can’t get side swing out doors adjusted properly - February 20th 2019 12:07 am

Thanks for the quick reply meanmachine.

It looks to me like the striker side of the “front” side door is about 1/2” away from where it’s supposed to be. I don’t think the seal is touching the “rear” side door at all. I’ll leave the door half shut for a couple days and see what happens.

Re: Installed new door seals, can’t get side swing out doors adjusted properly - February 20th 2019 1:09 am

Hold the old weatherstrip up against the new seals and see how the size or diameter of the rubber compares. That will give you an idea if the thickness is the problem.
Posted By: CatFish

Re: Installed new door seals, can’t get side swing out doors adjusted properly - February 20th 2019 1:13 am

Also, cold weather and new weatherstrip don't get along well together.
Posted By: Lionvan

Re: Installed new door seals, can’t get side swing out doors adjusted properly - February 20th 2019 4:05 am

I got the same problem. Been almost 2 years and they still won't shut without slamming th s#%@ out of them.Thinking about some stick on or glue on universal from Steele.
Posted By: frscke1

Re: Installed new door seals, can’t get side swing out doors adjusted properly - February 20th 2019 5:15 am

The Desert did wonders for the set on my '93 .... molded it self nicely ... the seals are thicker.

Re: Installed new door seals, can’t get side swing out doors adjusted properly - February 20th 2019 2:14 pm

I'm going to try (carefully) warming the seals with a heat gun and see if i can shut the door. I'll leave it like that for a couple days and see if that helps.
Posted By: tuner4life

Re: Installed new door seals, can’t get side swing out doors adjusted properly - February 21st 2019 1:45 pm

My 1985 has all new seals on the doors as well and after a year they finally are getting a little easier to close. Unfortunately it's just kind of how it is with the aftermarket seals available today. My "60" door was especially hard to close (and still kind of is). I found that the main issue is the leading edge of the seal. It starts putting pressure against closure when the door is still a few inches from closing. This might be able to be remedied bu adjusting the hinges, but for me panel gaps/fitment > easy closure.

Re: Installed new door seals, can’t get side swing out doors adjusted properly - February 21st 2019 1:57 pm

Tuner, that's the exact same issue i'm having. the "40" door is tight but closes pretty good. The "60" door is so bad that i dont think the seal is touching the "40" door at all (where the two meet up). I didnt get a chance to hit the seals with some heat last night but i'm hoping that will help.
Posted By: tuner4life

Re: Installed new door seals, can’t get side swing out doors adjusted properly - February 21st 2019 2:00 pm

You could try loosening the hinges up a touch where they mount to the door, and adjusting the door out just a touch at the front edge, then after a while, if the seal compresses, then adjust it back in.. There are several ways to go about it, but it will always be tight. (At least it doesn't leak there lol)

Re: Installed new door seals, can’t get side swing out doors adjusted properly - February 21st 2019 4:51 pm

I don't.want.to.move my hinges bcause.the van has been painted. If I move.the hinges.I'll.mess up the paint.
Posted By: Wizard78

Re: Installed new door seals, can’t get side swing out doors adjusted properly - February 21st 2019 10:15 pm

Yep it's going to take time to get the new seals to lay right , I've seen this before
Posted By: Wedgy

Re: Installed new door seals, can’t get side swing out doors adjusted properly - February 22nd 2019 12:16 am

My Dogs would love to come over and gnaw those door seals right on down into submission. No problem. Won't take long either! It's truly a rugged look too. shocked

Re: Installed new door seals, can’t get side swing out doors adjusted properly - February 22nd 2019 4:56 pm

Anyone got an opinion on universal seals for the side doors?
Posted By: JDouglas

Re: Installed new door seals, can’t get side swing out doors adjusted properly - March 03rd 2019 2:26 am

I bought some Ebay weatherstrip seals for my rear cargo doors. I think the seals are much too stiff for these old doors. The doors close with some effort but not like they used to close. I don't get that satisfying latch sound anymore but the doors are closed and lock ok. One thing I dont like: the right cargo door sticks out about 1/4 inch from the other door. Don't really know how to correct this without buying more weatherstripping.

Re: Installed new door seals, can’t get side swing out doors adjusted properly - March 03rd 2019 11:50 am

My apologies I meant to update this thread earlier...
I finally got around to heating up the seals with a heat gun and my doors close pretty good now. I ended up heating them up quite a bit before they became soft enough to compress and allow the doors to shut flush.
Posted By: Dyno_Dave

Re: Installed new door seals, can’t get side swing out doors adjusted properly - March 03rd 2019 11:55 am

Originally Posted by amcochrane
My apologies I meant to update this thread earlier...
I finally got around to heating up the seals with a heat gun and my doors close pretty good now. I ended up heating them up quite a bit before they became soft enough to compress and allow the doors to shut flush.

That's good to know. Thanks for the update!

Re: Installed new door seals, can’t get side swing out doors adjusted properly - March 03rd 2019 5:11 pm

When installing new door seals, a good hot day in the sun with the doors closed will bake them to a nice fit. I start by closing the doors till they latch and after the rubber has got heated up and is pliable, then completely shut each door.

Re: Installed new door seals, can’t get side swing out doors adjusted properly - March 03rd 2019 5:34 pm

I was in South Dakota last summer it was 106 and nothing happened.
Posted By: frscke1

Re: Installed new door seals, can’t get side swing out doors adjusted properly - March 03rd 2019 6:10 pm

its not the stiffness of the round part of the seal thats the problem its the thickness of the rubber itself... When the round part gets crushed as the door closes, its thicker than stock. Yes desert heat does help but it takes more then 1 day .

Re: Installed new door seals, can’t get side swing out doors adjusted properly - March 03rd 2019 7:30 pm

I found that the corners where they built up the rubber for strength were also an issue.
Posted By: JDouglas

Re: Installed new door seals, can’t get side swing out doors adjusted properly - March 04th 2019 3:42 am

Thanks guys. I'm going to use my heat gun on the weatherstripping and see if that solves the problem.

Re: Installed new door seals, can’t get side swing out doors adjusted properly - March 04th 2019 4:12 am

I'm gonna try the heat gun too. It's more direct on it than the sun. It was so hot in South Dakota my outside mirror glass was falling out.
Posted By: intendwithin

Re: Installed new door seals, can’t get side swing out doors adjusted properly - June 12th 2019 4:07 am

same exact problem as you all. My new door seals are still making things difficult 2 years after I put them on...

Re: Installed new door seals, can’t get side swing out doors adjusted properly - June 12th 2019 4:26 pm

I sound up pulling it off and getting self adhesive. I bought .75x.75 hollow foam from Amazon. I roughed up the paint with a body shop sanding brillo, then wiped it down with lacquer thinner. Put the rubber on,didn't open doors for 2days. I can't g get it off. My doors don't leak, they close nice, and it doesn't look too bad. If you go that way cut those flat parts off the ends of the original rubbers and glue them on, then start the new rubber from there. That fills the gap between the doors. They are on the top and bottom of the 40 door.
I've only done the side doors, the rest aren't too bad. I did the back doors a long time ago with original stuff and it's still kinda tight.
© 2019 Vannin' Community and Forums