Vannin' Home
Posted By: kursed Facebook Group? - May 13th 2021 11:54 pm
I see we have a Facebook Page set as an interest. Is there any way we can start a Group so members could converse there?

I would love to start one, but since I'm not a mod or admin here, I wouldn't want to step on anyone's toes. I'll gladly pitch in content and art if need be though.

I admin a local group called "Memories From Eastside Speedway" for our local race track, and it's a great place to share stories and pictures from the past. I've met quite a few local racers and learned a ton about our local racing history since starting it a few years ago.

If you guys decide to start it up, let me know if you need any help.
Posted By: NEmery Re: Facebook Group? - May 14th 2021 2:11 pm
still a lot of guys on here that arent on FB, i think.
Posted By: Rusty Pancelode Re: Facebook Group? - May 14th 2021 4:52 pm
That's what I was thinking, too.
Posted By: kursed Re: Facebook Group? - May 15th 2021 1:16 am
Originally Posted by NEmery
still a lot of guys on here that arent on FB, i think.

Yeah, but the cross-platforming might help bring some more here too. It's pretty dead here lately, and I see a few folks on FB that used to be regulars here, but have pretty much given up on us here in lonely forumville.

Not pointing any fingers (AHEM AHEMERY AHEM COUGH COUGH) lol
Posted By: Rusty Pancelode Re: Facebook Group? - May 15th 2021 3:41 pm
I think Facebook deserves to have less users rather than more.
Anybody with a rational thought over there has been getting in trouble lately.
Posted By: kursed Re: Facebook Group? - May 15th 2021 5:30 pm
Originally Posted by Rusty_Pancelode
I think Facebook deserves to have less users rather than more.
Anybody with a rational thought over there has been getting in trouble lately.

Truth, but as we watched during the election, everyone that said they were bailing on the platform is still there. I don't want to promote FB anymore than anyone else, I'm hoping to promote the forums more for the vanners that are there.

Problem is there are no other easy to use competitions for FB. MeWe seemed like a good alternative, but it's poorly thought out, and difficult to use at times. Until someone comes up with a better app, we're stuck with it.
Posted By: Rusty Pancelode Re: Facebook Group? - May 16th 2021 2:29 am
I get it...
And I agree...
I'm just not happy about it.
Posted By: kursed Re: Facebook Group? - May 16th 2021 2:42 am
Originally Posted by Rusty_Pancelode
I get it...
And I agree...
I'm just not happy about it.

Me neither, wish there were something better. It's sad that it seems to be the only social media platform that folks really converse on anymore. I miss the forum hey-day.
Posted By: Rusty Pancelode Re: Facebook Group? - May 16th 2021 2:53 am
I changed the way I use it.
I only go now to see the marketplace ads (as poorly handled as they are).

I used to use it kind of like a semi-public baby book.
I posted ALL kinds of funny stuff that my son said, did, or what have you, and stuff about my car hobby.
Then, when they started "fact-checking" certain people and not others (among other things), I wrote a post about how I was checking out.

Ever since then, I've been getting "memories" popping up (they NEVER did before) with some nonsense about how they "care" about me.
lol lol lol lol

Eventually, they'll be just like Blockbuster... Only Blockbuster didn't deserve it.
Posted By: NateB Re: Facebook Group? - May 19th 2021 7:13 pm
I've been off FB for 2 years and don't miss it really, BUT a lot of vanners moved from here to there so I'm missing out on event details and general contact. This site is nowhere near as active as it was years ago.
Posted By: kursed Re: Facebook Group? - May 20th 2021 2:21 pm
Originally Posted by NateB
I've been off FB for 2 years and don't miss it really, BUT a lot of vanners moved from here to there so I'm missing out on event details and general contact. This site is nowhere near as active as it was years ago.

Yeah, social media is a big part of what has killed off forums in general. We lost so many members on the chopper forum I moderated back around 2008 to Facebook and the others, that we ended up tanking the forum around 2009-10. It blows, but the times they are a changin' I suppose.
Posted By: newkirkinc1 Re: Facebook Group? - December 23rd 2023 2:08 pm
It sucks but we have to keep it going!
Posted By: MufflerMan Mike Re: Facebook Group? - December 23rd 2023 8:14 pm
Websites have went to FB and Instagram, I don't do either, I get Florida Van Council email and flyer that keeps me up on events, but I am on here so all is good.
Posted By: newkirkinc1 Re: Facebook Group? - March 30th 2024 5:02 pm
Same here Mike. Going to Heavy in the Holler?
Posted By: MufflerMan Mike Re: Facebook Group? - March 31st 2024 8:55 pm
I might go been busy getting our second annual truck in planned, we are getting it nailed down, planned SEVC meeting, Midwest Vans, GSVR.
Posted By: MufflerMan Mike Re: Facebook Group? - March 31st 2024 9:16 pm
Gotta pick my battles..lol
© Vannin' Community and Forums