Vannin' Home
Posted By: G20SignWriter Distrubutor keeps breaking - November 29th 2019 1:28 am
Hi! I have a Dodge Ram Van b250. I have had the van for 1 year and already gone through 3 distributors and 2 highway breakdowns. My trusty mechanic has fixed the last two distributors and he claims it is because the distributors he has put in are aftermarket and can't find a new OEM. I have since found a used tested OEM distributor but I also think it's something else causing the distributor to get out of wack and eventually the pin snaps at higher RPM's. I have a feeling this is why my '94 only has 50k miles on it- I think this has happened to every owner since the beginning of time. My mechanic says the cam shaft is strait and no wobble, but he says maybe it is a deeper issue but that would require weeks of diagnostic and pulling apart most of the engine. He threw in a new distributor at no labor just the parts and sent me on my way. Has anyone else dealt with this issue? Especially Mopar related? What could be causing the distributor to crap out constantly? Any help greatly appreciated!
Posted By: txmnjim Re: Distrubutor keeps breaking - November 30th 2019 3:52 am
"I have a feeling this is why my '94 only has 50k miles on it- I think this has happened to every owner since the beginning of time".

i have thought about this all day. i bet you are right! i am in the market for a van and i keep
seeing quite a few that have very low miles...sure makes you wonder why? maybe that's why
some say they look for high-mileage as it means the vehicle runs good...good luck on your
search for the problem!
jim
Posted By: Ram4ever Re: Distrubutor keeps breaking - December 09th 2019 2:34 am
Reed, did you see this?

When you say "the pin keeps snapping at higher RPMs", what part of the distributor are you talking about? Do you have any pictures? How high in RPMs are you revving?

Is this a single or dual pickup distributor? What brand of distributor cap and rotor are you using? There are premium ones available which may be better in terms of materials and precision of machining.

Do you know if your mechanic has an actual service manual for these vans? The pickup to reluctor adjustment is pretty critical in terms of how narrow a gap you can set up before reluctor teeth start being chipped or snapped off.
So far, it sounds like your mechanic is the constant in the equation...

There is supposed to be a cotton wick in the hollow of the distributor shaft, under the rotor, which is to be lubricated periodically with engine oil. Are yours dry? They won't be lubricated right out of rebuild.
© Vannin' Community and Forums