Vannin' Home
Posted By: zank transmission question - October 22nd 2018 1:45 am
Hello everybody, I am trying to figure out how to upgrade my 3-speed transmission to a 4 or 5 speed. I have a 1975 Dodge b200 with a 1985 318 engine in it. I have found Transmissions new or rebuilt for around $3,000 but that's well out of my price range so if anybody could give me some advice I'd appreciate it.
Posted By: Wedgy Re: transmission question - October 22nd 2018 1:23 pm
Good morning zank,

So assuming you're talking automatics, the A500, and then the A518 OD trannys' were the transmissions Dodge went to mid '80's for OD, the A500 is used behind the 318 in the 1988 RamVan, the A518 backs up the 360 in the 1994. If they will bolt up? IDK...

Reed is the resident Dodge tranny info Guru, and would know far more than I.

There is internet info on these swaps. First thing is Flexplate, Torque converter. Plus. These are computer controlled transmissions. So I believe you'll need a switch for OD/TC lockup. Plus a modified driveshaft if the overall length is different from your 727 setup.

Van On!
Posted By: zank Re: transmission question - October 23rd 2018 12:58 am
Thank you for your help... The A500 and A518 kept coming up when I was researching but I wasn't sure and I don't want to go out and try to find one if it's not going to work on that old of a vehicle...Thanks for the heads up about the needing to know the torque converter and the flexplate..I'll keep that in mind as I continue to research
P.S. I will be starting to share photos of my project once I figure out how to use Flickr with a tablet better
© Vannin' Community and Forums