Vannin' Home
Posted By: jason159 vibration in rear end when turning... - July 02nd 2018 10:37 pm
Hi fellas, my '75 Dodge B100 SWB started making light noise/rumble, and a vibration that is "felt" through the chassis, coming from right rear wheel, while only making left turns AND it must be in gear, more noticeable the faster I'm driving, anything over 30mph. It WONT make this rumble while in neutral as I'm zig-zagging/testing, going down the road, which IMO cancels out a wheel bearing maybe? My initial thoughts are rear end going bad or transmission bearings. I figured a wheel bearing would do it always, no matter the transmission gear, including neutral, but??? I have newer U joints and my driveshaft was balanced too. Wheels are balanced, tires are newer, lug nuts are tight. When this turning/pressure is on the right rear wheel , in gear, is when it's noticed the most. Any thoughts, I love to hear them. Thanks!
Posted By: Meanmachine Re: vibration in rear end when turning... - July 03rd 2018 12:25 am
Get a buddy to help you, jack up the rear tires off the ground and put it in gear and neutral and see if you can hear any rotation noises, while accelerating and braking.
Posted By: jason159 Re: vibration in rear end when turning... - July 03rd 2018 2:09 am
Originally Posted by Meanmachine
Get a buddy to help you, jack up the rear tires off the ground and put it in gear and neutral and see if you can hear any rotation noises, while accelerating and braking.

OK, will do thank you!
Posted By: islander Re: vibration in rear end when turning... - July 10th 2018 5:33 am
did you change the diff fluid recently? I had this problem and had to add a bottle of mopar friction modifier. I've got the locking diff, and I guess without the friction modifier it can't decide if it wants to lock or not. Just throw in half a bottle, and do some figure 8s around a parking lot until the noise disappears.

granted mine happened only at very low speed.
Posted By: jason159 Re: vibration in rear end when turning... - July 11th 2018 1:45 am
Originally Posted by islander
did you change the diff fluid recently? I had this problem and had to add a bottle of mopar friction modifier. I've got the locking diff, and I guess without the friction modifier it can't decide if it wants to lock or not. Just throw in half a bottle, and do some figure 8s around a parking lot until the noise disappears.

granted mine happened only at very low speed.

Yes I've changed it, but I used good 'ol 80w90 gear oil. I don't think I have a locking diff, I guess I'm not sure though. I replaced the axle bearing and this did not fix my issue, darn it.
Posted By: jason159 Re: vibration in rear end when turning... - July 11th 2018 3:28 pm
So it's not the rear axle bearings, I replaced them. I'm now thinking the transmission bearings, not sure exactly which component, because It only makes the noise if it's in gear....worse when the throttle is applied, it can be felt going straight under acceleration and worse while turning left. Just annoying, lol
Posted By: Hasan Ben Sobar Re: vibration in rear end when turning... - July 12th 2018 12:55 am
Turning rules out engine or trans. unless something isn't bolted down.
Posted By: Vannible_Lecter Re: vibration in rear end when turning... - July 12th 2018 3:22 pm
pinion gear?
Posted By: Vannible_Lecter Re: vibration in rear end when turning... - July 12th 2018 3:22 pm
pinion gear?
Posted By: jason159 Re: vibration in rear end when turning... - July 13th 2018 1:02 am
Originally Posted by Vannible_Lecter
pinion gear?

I've no experience yet with rear end parts but that's what I'm afraid of, lol.
© Vannin' Community and Forums