Vannin' Home
Posted By: jason159 dodge b100 fuel sender wire routing?? - January 23rd 2018 3:18 pm
Hey guys, I can not figure out where the fuel sender lead (1 wire) routes through the van body/frame, to the fuel sender. Inside of the van in the right rear corner is the wire harness and sender connector, but I can't figure out how the wire routes from inside the van, through the frame, to the exterior fuel sender unit beneath the rear bumper. Hoping a Dodge guy can explain how to route the wire or perhaps provide a pic? The service manual does not give detailed info. I really appreciate the help! I need a working fuel gauge! lol. thanks-Jason
Posted By: Reed Re: dodge b100 fuel sender wire routing?? - January 23rd 2018 4:07 pm
The fuel sending unit is on the top of the gas tank roughlyin the middle, so if you need to access the sending unit you have to pull the tank (or cut a hole in the floor. I had a Dodge van once where a previous owner did that).
Posted By: Sparkynm Re: dodge b100 fuel sender wire routing?? - January 23rd 2018 6:39 pm
I think the wires run inside. What year van? On my '72 model, the wire runs with the taillight harness, up thru the a-pillar on the drivers side, along the roof, across the rear doors and down thru a grommet in the floor. It's hard to find if you have any trim inside. Hope this helps.
Posted By: jason159 Re: dodge b100 fuel sender wire routing?? - January 23rd 2018 10:29 pm
1975 B100. I understand the tail-light harness part as yes, it runs up high along driver side then routes above the rear door and down to each set of tail lights. The fuel sender lead connection (light blue if I'm not mistaken) is dangling among this group of wires in pass sider rear corner. My question is, I cant see where the wire needs to shimmy through the inside of the van/frame to match the external fuel sender connection on my fuel tank. I have zero trim or carpet or anything inside my van. There has to be an access hole but this is what I'm struggling to find, lol. Sorry for the lengthy text. I'll def keep investigating, was hoping somebody could say, "see that small hole .....it feeds through it" haha, but thanks guys!
Posted By: Sparkynm Re: dodge b100 fuel sender wire routing?? - January 24th 2018 1:54 am
Here are a couple of pics. Although there is the trailer wires, the grommet looks factory, Have my corner trim in now but I think the hole is right behind the welded door frame and corner panel seam. Maybe there is some seam sealer partially covering hole. Think it was tough to see that's why the old harness is still there. Hope these help, maybe could get better in the daylight.

Attached picture P1010367.JPG
Attached picture P1010368.JPG
Posted By: jason159 Re: dodge b100 fuel sender wire routing?? - January 24th 2018 3:37 am
Originally Posted by Sparkynm
Here are a couple of pics. Although there is the trailer wires, the grommet looks factory, Have my corner trim in now but I think the hole is right behind the welded door frame and corner panel seam. Maybe there is some seam sealer partially covering hole. Think it was tough to see that's why the old harness is still there. Hope these help, maybe could get better in the daylight.

ah yes, wonderful, this is what I'm talking about, lol. Although it's tough to reference the exact spot underneath the van, perhaps a pic or 2 from a bit farther back but man, I really appreciate the help, I'll crawl under the van tomorrow and try and figure it out. Thanks!!!

Also in pic 1, is that the pass side leaf spring shackle on the far right side of the pic? just trying to get the frame reference correct smile
Posted By: Sparkynm Re: dodge b100 fuel sender wire routing?? - January 24th 2018 4:25 am
Yep, pic#1 is the pass. side rear. That is the bumper bracket lower left of pic. The hole is on floor board about 1/2" from rear panel above and almost behind shackle mount.
It is in kind of a triangle notch of mount. Don't think I can get a better picture, but if you can't find it, I'll try again. Good luck
Posted By: jason159 Re: dodge b100 fuel sender wire routing?? - January 25th 2018 6:43 pm
Yep, pic#1 is the pass. side rear. That is the bumper bracket lower left of pic. The hole is on floor board about 1/2" from rear panel above and almost behind shackle mount.
It is in kind of a triangle notch of mount. Don't think I can get a better picture, but if you can't find it, I'll try again. Good luck

I understand but have yet to investigate, was busy putting in new coil springs but again, thank you so much for the help, really appreciate it!!
Posted By: Sparkynm Re: dodge b100 fuel sender wire routing?? - January 26th 2018 1:50 am
What springs did you use? Are you doing the whole front end also? Asking 'cause that's the next big one here. Also researching gear boxes.
Posted By: jason159 Re: dodge b100 fuel sender wire routing?? - January 27th 2018 4:00 pm
I bought Moog coil springs, I'm replacing them plus the rotors, calipers and pads, and shocks, as well as the rubber brake hoses. The ball joints seem OK at this time. This is a 40 year old van that's been sitting since 2002 and I want it road worthy, lol. I've never replaced coil springs until now, and it's not hard. I'm not using a spring compressor either. Youtube has several vids how to do it. The Moog springs are shorter, but thicker providing original ride-height, I was told by Moog. So they're very east to put back together because of the fact they are shorter. I've not had to look at gearbox's, hopefully I won't have to smile
Posted By: Sparkynm Re: dodge b100 fuel sender wire routing?? - January 28th 2018 10:18 pm
Did you find your hole? It's pretty hidden. #7170 Moog ? Debating BJ's myself.
Posted By: jason159 Re: dodge b100 fuel sender wire routing?? - February 21st 2018 2:28 am
Hi, I just wanted to say, that after some time spent laying underneath my van, it seems this van has been rear-ended and repaired. The tell tale signs are there, and also because of your pics, I was able to discover that I did not have this access hole as it's essentially been welded over and non-existent. So I just drilled a hole through it, ran wire and conduit, made the connection, and now have a functioning fuel level gauge, lol. Thanks again for your help and pics!!
Posted By: jason159 Re: dodge b100 fuel sender wire routing?? - February 21st 2018 2:33 am
[quote=Sparkynm]Did you find your hole? It's pretty hidden. #7170 Moog ? Debating BJ's myself.[/quote

yep, Moog 7170 springs. They fit well.
Posted By: Sparkynm Re: dodge b100 fuel sender wire routing?? - February 21st 2018 5:13 am
Any noticeable change in ride height? Did they firm up the ride as well? Makes it nice to know how far you can travel.! Sure glad the pictures helped. If I can help with more pics. or anything else, let me know!
Posted By: jason159 Re: dodge b100 fuel sender wire routing?? - February 21st 2018 10:02 pm
I don't have a reliable reference as far as ride height is concerned because I got this van last December, plus and I now have 245/60-15's on an 8.5 inch wheel. However it looks great and Moog themselves said it will retain original ride height. I called them because the Moog springs are visibly shorter, but thicker. They said that's how they're built and not to worry, lol. I can get you a pic if you like.
Posted By: Sparkynm Re: dodge b100 fuel sender wire routing?? - February 22nd 2018 1:03 am
A picture would be cool ! I am about an inch taller, tire wise, on 17's , but it would really give me a great reference, You running 275/60 on the back also? Had I went with 15's, that's the combo I was looking at.. Thanks again!, Sparky
Posted By: jason159 Re: dodge b100 fuel sender wire routing?? - February 22nd 2018 6:57 pm
A picture would be cool ! I am about an inch taller, tire wise, on 17's , but it would really give me a great reference, You running 275/60 on the back also? Had I went with 15's, that's the combo I was looking at.. Thanks again!, Sparky

Sure brother, I'll take a pic tonight and get it on here in a day or 2. And yes, I'm running the 275/60-15's on a 10 inch wider rear wheel. I'll get a shot of the side of the van as well. I really like the way it's looks with my new (used) wheel set-up! And keep in mind when I get the pics up, my van has fender flares, too.
Posted By: jason159 Re: dodge b100 fuel sender wire routing?? - February 24th 2018 3:02 pm

Sparky, here's the 245/60-15 front tire , Moog springs and KYB shocks. 275/60-15 in rear. Honestly, I bet it'd look cooler 1 inch lower but I'm not ready to commit to that, lol.
Posted By: jason159 Re: dodge b100 fuel sender wire routing?? - February 25th 2018 2:56 am
Well the pics aren't showing up dang it, I'll try again later.
Posted By: Sparkynm Re: dodge b100 fuel sender wire routing?? - February 27th 2018 12:44 pm
Thought maybe it was my "puter, Thanks
Posted By: jason159 Re: dodge b100 fuel sender wire routing?? - March 18th 2018 2:45 am
sparky here's a shot of the tires and wheels we talked about some time ago, I'm sorry it took so long to follow through. 275/60-15 on 15x10's and 245/60-15 on 15x8.5s.
Posted By: Sparkynm Re: dodge b100 fuel sender wire routing?? - March 18th 2018 2:53 am
It looks like I'm not meant to see them. Didn't show up again!
© Vannin' Community and Forums