Vannin' Home
Posted By: Geet 318 engine vibration - October 31st 2017 10:12 pm
currently on my way back to Fla. from N.H. - VT
82 B150 318 has developed a vibration in the motor.
between 40 & 60 mph , not violent but annoying.
Any ideas or mechanics input appreciated.

post or text me.
352-304-7355
Posted By: Reed Re: 318 engine vibration - November 01st 2017 3:07 pm
First thing I would check is u-joints on the driveshaft.
Posted By: Geet Re: 318 engine vibration - November 13th 2017 1:35 am
been north and south on this drivetrain new u joints.. balanced the drive shaft... checke rear and spider gears.... harmonic balance next.

dropped it off with the mechanic once we got home.... long strange trip but tons of fun.... ready to winter back n Ocala.
Posted By: Hasan Ben Sobar Re: 318 engine vibration - November 13th 2017 8:15 pm
Where do you feel it?
Posted By: Reed Re: 318 engine vibration - November 13th 2017 8:30 pm
Next on my list of things to check is the wheel balance of every wheel.
Posted By: Meanmachine Re: 318 engine vibration - November 13th 2017 11:01 pm
How old are the tires and check the play on the water pump shaft and that you don't have a broken blade or fin on your fan blade.
Posted By: Geet Re: 318 engine vibration - November 14th 2017 11:43 am
so far...
non weighted harmonic balance...
fan blades chk.
water pump chk
factory slot wheels new rubber... spin balanced and done again since.
trans mech is looking at touque conv. again... see how that goes.

appreciate the input!!!... hope to run it this weekend
Posted By: Hasan Ben Sobar Re: 318 engine vibration - November 15th 2017 5:09 pm
Where does the vibration occur? If it happens at 55 MPH, find out the rpm that your turning at 55 MPH and then rev the motor IN NEUTRAL to that RPM number. If the vibration is gone-it's not the convertor.
Posted By: Geet Re: 318 engine vibration - November 17th 2017 3:34 pm
1800 rpm parked...
Posted By: Hasan Ben Sobar Re: 318 engine vibration - November 18th 2017 4:37 am
Not the trans, shaft or wheels. Odds are the balancer. possibility of the convertor if it was off by a bunch and they had to use a good size weight to bring it to "zero" and it "chucked " the weight. 318's are neutral balanced, meaning the balancer & convertor or flywheel /clutch are balanced to zero. This all so assumes all other ancillary components are working as intended. How does it run other-wise?
Posted By: Geet Re: 318 engine vibration - November 19th 2017 11:57 am
runs mint... 60,000 mi motor, well maintained.
trans has been rebuilt 3 times in 3500 miles..... last time complete all new including a Dayton hi-perf converter, valve body etc.

looking at maybe unhooking the elec. lock-up.
Posted By: Reed Re: 318 engine vibration - November 19th 2017 4:45 pm
Your 82 does not have an electronic lockup torque converter in the transmission. The earliest electornically controlled lockup transmissions were 1987 models. I would look at the aftermarket converter being out of balance. Three rebuilds in 3500 miles is ridiculous. Someone, somewhere, is doing something seriously wrong.

The early lockup units (77-79) did have complaints of the lock-up engaging at too low of RPM and lugging the motor, so Chrysler issued a replacement lockup spring to fix the problem. By 82 the bugs were ironed out with the hydraulically controlled lockup.

If you pull the trans to inspect the torque converter, try finding an original, unmolested, unrebuilt original trans from a junkyard and swapping it in. That will tell you if there is a problem in the rebuilt trans.
Posted By: Geet Re: 318 engine vibration - November 20th 2017 7:47 am
good info Reed, getting stuck in 2 different states (Maine -Fla) has made it more of a challenge. We have a good man here and he isn't
giving up.
Posted By: Hasan Ben Sobar Re: 318 engine vibration - November 20th 2017 11:40 pm
[quote=Reed] I would look at the aftermarket converter being out of balance. Three rebuilds in 3500 miles is ridiculous. Someone, somewhere, is doing something seriously wrong.
quote]
Agree with the above. Now, some idiot thinking 318/360 convertors are the same would explain a lot.
© Vannin' Community and Forums