Vannin' Home
Posted By: Reed 1983 Dodge van single rear door questions - June 20th 2017 10:13 pm
(1) did Dodge even make an opening window for the large single rear door on vans?
(2) were louvers for the single large rear window ever offered? Anyone sell them now? Anyway to easily adapt louvers for that window?

Thanks.
Posted By: lukester Re: 1983 Dodge van single rear door questions - June 21st 2017 1:56 am
I can't answer your first question but as for the second. Yes they did make one large louver for those windows. I have seen them turn up from time to time but not nearly as common as the double sets.
Posted By: Reed Re: 1983 Dodge van single rear door questions - June 21st 2017 3:54 am
Thanks. I am planning out a bathroom for my brother's van. Working on privacy issues.
Posted By: F350 Re: 1983 Dodge van single rear door questions - June 24th 2017 10:02 pm
1) Yup they did. I think 1983 was the first year. Usually found on loaded family wagons.
Posted By: Reed Re: 1983 Dodge van single rear door questions - June 24th 2017 10:06 pm
Thanks! I will have to keep my eyes open now. I bet my chances of finding one in good shape are slim to none, but I will still keep a lookout.
Posted By: Ram4ever Re: 1983 Dodge van single rear door questions - June 29th 2017 7:13 am
Reed, I don't remember if the glass on the rear single door on the 86 Dodge shorty van I'd taken apart tipped out, but you can clearly see that the largest side window did - it had two catches:

[Linked Image]

It also had the premium stainless steel hinges.

Since we all know that windows make a van worth owning, smile I'd say you've got your work cut out for you; keep your eyes peeled for any upper trim line Dodge vans with lots of windows, and jump on those vans for closer inspection.

Come to think of it, didn't Nate have one of the top of the line fishbowls, er, I mean Dodge window vans? smile Might be worth seeing if you can roust him from the dead to see what he might have to say about it.

If I do ever see one out here, I'll let you know, but they really are uncommon anymore, and have usually been backed into something when I've seen any in the salvage yards.
Posted By: Reed Re: 1983 Dodge van single rear door questions - June 29th 2017 4:19 pm
Thanks! My brother's van does have the opening side windw and opening windows on the barn doors. 80s era vans are starting to get rare at junkyards, but I will keep my eyes open. All the glass on the van wil be coming out for bodywork and a quick and dirty repaint, so that would be the time to swap to an opening rear window. I will keep my eye on the local pick and pull.
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: 1983 Dodge van single rear door questions - March 26th 2020 12:40 am
Two questions:
1) what year Dodge vans had a single rear door as an option
2) is it the same opening as the 71-78 rear door opening (I want to build a gull wing for the back of the van I am chopping)
Posted By: NateB Re: 1983 Dodge van single rear door questions - March 26th 2020 11:43 am
I'm pretty sure the single rear door option was available through the entire run 71-03. The door dimensions are the same, but I think the window got bigger in 78.
© Vannin' Community and Forums