Vannin' Home
Posted By: Lee7673 Van Prices - January 03rd 2021 2:04 am
I know old vans have had a surge of popularity in the past few years but it seems like the prices are getting insane.
Are prices really getting crazy or is it just me????
Posted By: SDMickey Re: Van Prices - January 03rd 2021 2:07 am
I agree MR Lee; especially out in my neck of the woods. i believe a good van is cheaper than a Vette ! smile
Posted By: Charlie 99909 Re: Van Prices - January 03rd 2021 2:25 am
Yep, prices are super high from what I’ve learned over the last year. I can’t believe it.
Posted By: DrCaldre Re: Van Prices - January 03rd 2021 4:46 am
Theres a lot of shortys posted on the craigslist finds, the old body styles, like pre 1983 for Chevy,
that are pretty ridiculously priced. But a late 80's G20 with windows is still like under 8k in running condition. I think sellers have way more invested in the 70s vans.
Posted By: newkirkinc1 Re: Van Prices - January 03rd 2021 7:01 pm
Yes they do.
Posted By: Rusty Pancelode Re: Van Prices - January 04th 2021 3:45 am
Yeah, the prices are getting loopy.

See you guys later.
I've got some classifieds to go make jokes about.
lol
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: Van Prices - January 04th 2021 4:55 pm
Originally Posted by Rusty_Pancelode
Yeah, the prices are getting loopy.

See you guys later.
I've got some classifieds to go make jokes about.
lol

hahaha I enjoy the "editorials" on some of the adds
Posted By: Rusty Pancelode Re: Van Prices - January 04th 2021 6:21 pm
Yeah, me too.
Posted By: dragonvanman Re: Van Prices - January 07th 2021 3:47 pm
Bought my first 74 g10 no window shorty around 6 years ago , prices have doubled since then .
Posted By: Bsidebopper Re: Van Prices - January 27th 2021 6:39 am
Long time creeper, have to post about some recent experiences..

Ive been back and forth for a year or more now with dozens of van owners (not vanners) in my area, western Canada. Most people are simply using craiglist and facebook as a benchmark to price their vans and have no real intimate knowledge of the quirks, work needed or anything besides what theyve already invested in. They see a parts van on the buy and sell for 2k and think "hey, if this dog sh*t is worth 2k, mine must be worth 10k!" ..i enjoy reminding them thats not the case, even though this whole spike in price really bothers me. I break it down for them nicely but it never makes a difference. Everyone has it figured out even though they know jack about sh*t and have never done an oil change for themselves.

I have been to check out 10 to 15 to maybe 20 vans in the last year, mostly mid dodge, some 79-92, some gmc/chev 70-89 and one 72 ford. I have intended to buy each one of them prior to seeing them but after a few tough negotiations I havent driven home a single one. Its not without trying, im a fairly pleasant guy, chatty and I usually get along great with anybody who owns a cool old whatever.. Even though i secretly hate 98% of people. 😉

The reason being, most of the time, the seller thinks their van is made out of f*cking gold or something? I will get under it and point out the dried bushings, the wheel cylinders leaking, the suspension bagged, the exhaust rusted through, the holes in the floors, every thing i can to get them to come down to a realistic price. They wont budge.. They know that if they hold onto it long enough that some cuck is going to give them the money. Then, that cuck gets stuck with a 8 thousand dollar van that needs 2k in work right away and another 2k throughout the summer as the van breaks down from being neglected for 20 years. They rip out the original interior, paint it with house paint, call it refurbished and try and sell it the following year for 15k. Thats whats been happening around here for the last 5 years or more. Its frustrating as hell. I cant go on the buy and sell anymore without needing a stiff drink afterwards. Suddenly every van is a boogie van and worth 10k.. Wild! Even the ones that are "reasonably" priced are dog sh*t in person and worth half their asking. Its a huge bummer, it really is.

Sliver lining.. If i live long enough, these vans will all be worth 500-1000 again one day due to neglect, ill scoop em up then for my van farm and roll em on down the hill.

half-sorry for the first post rant, its been my number one bother for years now. Which, i guess isnt that bad considering the world and all...
Posted By: 1959 Re: Van Prices - January 27th 2021 4:09 pm
Well that's quite the second post! And I suspect you are correct in your assessments, especially the one about 98% of the people!

The ads that make me chuckle are the stripped out conversion vans with rhino lined exteriors and crappy led headlights that are for sale at $8 and 10k. Skip those pos's

Yes prices are climbing but I still think vans are incredibly inexpensive compared to their kin. I don't know squat about Mopars but have you priced a mid 60s Chevy lately, a short bed square body, hell even a Fox body Ford. They are all up too.

I'm selling my cars so I can fund another van!
Posted By: Uncle_Fester Re: Van Prices - January 27th 2021 4:59 pm
I bought my van last year for $3000.00 and felt I got a ok deal (didn’t over pay or under pay) this year, I saw a van that was a model twin ( same year, same conversion co, same mileage, same in most every way but color) that the seller wants $10,000.00 for. And that is not a isolated case. I see many vans in the 10-15k range for late 80s to early 90s vans.... hell I only pain $3k for Wolf-den and she had show history.
Posted By: Rusty Pancelode Re: Van Prices - January 27th 2021 5:23 pm
Originally Posted by Bsidebopper

...half-sorry for the first post rant, its been my number one bother for years now. Which, i guess isnt that bad considering the world and all...

Hey! Nice to meet you! lol

I agree with you 100%.
The same thing seems to be going on all around and it's not just vans either (although the vans seemed to have spiked the most).

When I bought my van in the picture, people could barely give one away (2014).
The guy wanted $2500 for it, and it was for sale for over a month.
He got the A/C fixed, raised the price to $3500, and I gave him $2300 for it.
lol
It's just a cargo van with a 350, automatic, and power door locks.
It had 68,000 miles on it when I bought it.

Now I'm seeing people trying to get $7500 for similar vans that aren't as nice.
Posted By: Charlie 99909 Re: Van Prices - January 27th 2021 7:53 pm

Ive been back and forth for a year or more now with dozens of van owners (not vanners) in my area, western Canada. Most people are simply using craiglist and facebook as a benchmark to price their vans and have no real intimate knowledge of the quirks, work needed or anything besides what theyve already invested in. They see a parts van on the buy and sell for 2k and think "hey, if this dog sh*t is worth 2k, mine must be worth 10k!" ..i enjoy reminding them thats not the case, even though this whole spike in price really bothers me. I break it down for them nicely but it never makes a difference. Everyone has it figured out even though they know jack about sh*t and have never done an oil change for themselves.

I have been to check out 10 to 15 to maybe 20 vans in the last year, mostly mid dodge, some 79-92, some gmc/chev 70-89 and one 72 ford. I have intended to buy each one of them prior to seeing them but after a few tough negotiations I havent driven home a single one. Its not without trying, im a fairly pleasant guy, chatty and I usually get along great with anybody who owns a cool old whatever.. Even though i secretly hate 98% of people. 😉

The reason being, most of the time, the seller thinks their van is made out of f*cking gold or something? I will get under it and point out the dried bushings, the wheel cylinders leaking, the suspension bagged, the exhaust rusted through, the holes in the floors, every thing i can to get them to come down to a realistic price. They wont budge.. They know that if they hold onto it long enough that some cuck is going to give them the money. Then, that cuck gets stuck with a 8 thousand dollar van that needs 2k in work right away and another 2k throughout the summer as the van breaks down from being neglected for 20 years. They rip out the original interior, paint it with house paint, call it refurbished and try and sell it the following year for 15k. Thats whats been happening around here for the last 5 years or more. Its frustrating as hell. I cant go on the buy and sell anymore without needing a stiff drink afterwards. Suddenly every van is a boogie van and worth 10k.. Wild! Even the ones that are "reasonably" priced are dog sh*t in person and worth half their asking. Its a huge bummer, it really is.

Sliver lining.. If i live long enough, these vans will all be worth 500-1000 again one day due to neglect, ill scoop em up then for my van farm and roll em on down the hill.

half-sorry for the first post rant, its been my number one bother for years now. Which, i guess isnt that bad considering the world and all...

Now come to CA where rust is a non issue most of the time.
Posted By: lukester Re: Van Prices - January 28th 2021 2:49 am
It's not just the older full size vans. We spent 9 months looking for a replacement Astro. Seen a lot for 4k -5k range. A few in the 7k-10k range. I'm not talking custom Astros either. Looked at a few that were completely different then advertised. We ended up finding a one owner 05 Kia Sedona with 80k miles for 3k.
Posted By: Bsidebopper Re: Van Prices - January 28th 2021 9:04 am
Originally Posted by 1959
Well that's quite the second post! And I suspect you are correct in your assessments, especially the one about 98% of the people!

The ads that make me chuckle are the stripped out conversion vans with rhino lined exteriors and crappy led headlights that are for sale at $8 and 10k. Skip those pos's

Yes prices are climbing but I still think vans are incredibly inexpensive compared to their kin. I don't know squat about Mopars but have you priced a mid 60s Chevy lately, a short bed square body, hell even a Fox body Ford. They are all up too.

I'm selling my cars so I can fund another van!

I just had a bit of a heated back and forth with a guy who stripped out a real gem of a 79 dodge camper van. He ripped out every thing cool and then painted over the veneer/cabinetry that was left with navy blue and white paint. Its a 2 tone van, gold and brown... I mean, cmon! Absolutely no taste! The conversation ended with me saying, "whatever you do, pleeeease dont buy any more vans because this is borderline tragic"

And I agree about the price comparison/inflation of other classics or any vehicles of prominence. Square bodies, dodge cummins, any jeep pickup/wagon, they have all sky rocketed in value and in my life they are typically more common and accessible than vans. With exception to jeep pickups and wagoneers.

I dont see the issue being that there is less of these vehicles now than ever, less supply, more demand, that whole thing, i dont think thats the case. I believe its because tire-kickin owners have selfishly and ignorantly inflated the value time and time again and the prices have just stuck. Access to vehicles of any variety is easier now than ever, which in my mind should keep vehicle prices reasonable and steady as there is more available on the market. Somehow thats not the case? I get that slightly more people are getting into these oldies and goodies, but when it comes to vans, doubling in value in a matter of a couple years doesnt really make sense too me. There are a lot of vans available in most markets across Canada, theres no shortage here. Vans just sit on the buy and sell for months and months at 10-15k or more because no one can justify the price.

I whole heartedly blame the vanlife thing and yuppies who buy their socks one at a time.
Posted By: Rusty Pancelode Re: Van Prices - January 28th 2021 3:44 pm
I agree with that too!

I bought a Suzuki Samurai (talk about crazy prices) a couple of weeks ago...
After I made him an offer, the owner responded by trying to justify the crazy prices he'd seen as of late.
I asked him if those people were here making an offer.
He said I had a good point, then accepted my offer.
lol

You might have fun visiting us in the classified section where we pick apart vans that are priced goofily.
lol
There's cool stuff there sometimes, too.
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: Van Prices - January 28th 2021 4:30 pm
Prices getting this crazy I might have to sell mine! NOPE....I have WAY to much time, effort and love into them to sell.....and I would NEVER get back out wat I have into them but that's ok. Bought them cheap though
Posted By: SDMickey Re: Van Prices - January 29th 2021 2:50 am
Wish I could say the same; however I realize what I have : A time capsule from the Original Owner with 36,241 miles. Like you Mr Lee ; my 1974 G10 Shorty is a dream come true for me
and I want to re-live my best memories and create new ones.

It's amazing what prices I encountered these last 2 years of my Quest. I'm happy with what I have and very thankful to the powers that be for allowing me to be able to have this van. chevy
Posted By: Bsidebopper Re: Van Prices - January 29th 2021 4:33 am
Originally Posted by Rusty_Pancelode
You might have fun visiting us in the classified section where we pick apart vans that are priced goofily.
lol
There's cool stuff there sometimes, too.

On my way! Hah!
Posted By: SDMickey Re: Van Prices - January 29th 2021 2:53 pm
You just never know what you'll come across in your path concerning pricing. You get the SKY HIGH unrealistic price for even a primo van and then the UN-believable Luck & Karma like ozzmonaut that was "given" that Econoline and awhile back; I believe it was Captain Chrysler who was given a nice Dodge.

That is just so cool and sets things right when you hear how Lucky these Vanners are to be given Vans.
Posted By: Bsidebopper Re: Van Prices - January 29th 2021 4:27 pm
Youre absolutely right and i have a fair many of my own good grabs from good folks to help balance my perspective.

Its just tough to see the market goto sh*t and keep my mouth shut. Hah!
Posted By: Wedgy Re: Van Prices - April 03rd 2021 6:38 pm
Wow. That there is some interesting reading. I knew I scored on that 65 Impala for $250!! Yeah haha, 1973.

Makes that 1K for the '88 B250 Safari Conversion that is now Dogvan a good deal too. 2013. GF at the time did not like it one bit. Eww!!

So the 1990 BBC van, I bought from the maintenance man at Southlawn Church of Christ in Lubbock, for 4K. G30 Beauville. EXT. 70,000 miles. It had sat for 15 years, and prior to that was used in the Church Maternity Ministry program, that was the largest program of its kind in the U.S. They took the unwed mother's in it to and from Drs. appts. The driver lady wasn't used to a long wheelbase, obviously, and had damaged every fender trim, and also gashed from the 40 door on back into the rear fender opening. Ouch. Thankfully not severely. They had fewer girls, so they got her a Crown Vic to drive, and parked the Van. That's funny. Wish they'd done it a few fenders earlier. Ha!

I do have the 40 door, all needed sheet metal, plus all the stainless trim, courtesy of frscke1. Plus a complete power mirror setup too.Thanks Buddy! Still need the tall Bumper Guards though Scotty...
Posted By: frscke1 Re: Van Prices - April 03rd 2021 9:00 pm
Those are hard to find Bill without the person wanting to sell the bumper as well.
Posted By: Wedgy Re: Van Prices - April 05th 2021 9:43 pm
A Bullguard would probably be much better protection up front. It's more like an RPO thing.

A repaint, or a Locker? That is the question.

Good Hunting!!
Posted By: frscke1 Re: Van Prices - April 05th 2021 10:46 pm
Locker 1st then go race to the paint shop N body work ... little at a time ltttle at a time
Posted By: pontiac59 Re: Van Prices - April 30th 2021 7:24 am
When I was looking at vans I noticed prices were way up, if you wanted even a 20 year old Express that wasn't junk you'd spend two grand at auction and more on Craigslist or other classifieds. Which was a shock given I bought an 02 extended in 2015 that I drove home for $650 and an 02 2500 regular wheelbase that I drove 90 miles home in 2017 for $700 (and some other stuff I got there basically paid for it several times over).

I did see and consider a 95 Shorty for $400 on Craigslist but it being NY it was visibly rusty and high miles plus 95s have some unique stuff that make them a pain so I passed, but it did sell.

Then the 94 I did buy came up and I watched and waited and I think people got scared when it crossed the $2000 threshold because nobody else bid after I put it at $2200. That's about what KBB thinks it's worth, but considering it saved me the hassle of going down south to find a clean one I probably did okay. The same auction there was a 2003 with over 200,000 miles and some power steering issue and that one was $2300. The only cheap one was a 2002 extended which while also fairly low miles (like 75K) had the cats stolen off it, and had hit something so needed at a minimum R&R bumper, grille, hood and right fender. In NY you can't buy used cats so to fix all that with the other parts used and assuming it needed nothing else you'd easily be in it for $1200-$1500. All the rest were 03-up and went for $3000 and up.

Ford vans were going even higher, although I did see one plain 95 go off for $1500 on a different auction site with around 50K showing, belonged to a school district.

Only the non-runners or really rough ones were cheap.

And I even then sold my 2002 extended to a kid for $1500. I had a lot of interest at that price. I was shocked when he comes to pick it up and doesn't even bring jumper cables (it needed a battery). So of course he took it to a shop and a month later complained they wanted to do way more to it than I would have done. Of course they do, they want your money. A good cleaning and a brake job and it aught to be good to go, it had a little frame rot in one spot but maybe an hour to weld in a patch would have taken care of it. Or just put the stupid tin shield back on and hide it.
Posted By: jcd74 Re: Van Prices - April 30th 2021 12:30 pm
I know a guy who just paid 4500 for a 95 g10 shorty, zero windows. A rare find. There has been a surge in ownership by me with many new owners being gen Z. With little full sized going around, many contractors are even throwing new engines in.. Pre Rona it was not uncommon to see 20 vans at the local car show, I am waiting to see what the summer brings. I am kicking myself for letting the brown van go, I could have sold the shell for 1500.
Posted By: Charlie 99909 Re: Van Prices - April 30th 2021 3:53 pm
I remember my dad used to keep one or two 80's Dodge panel vans in the back of his shop for when he needed cheap sheet metal to patch rust. You used to be able to scoop them up for nothing, cut them up, and do it again.
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: Van Prices - April 30th 2021 7:36 pm
Going up like crazy the past few years. Every now and then there is a good deal but it flies off the market. Last week there was a 85 Dodge Tandem van in good shape for $2,500. If I had been closer......I should have never sold my tandem
Posted By: newkirkinc1 Re: Van Prices - April 30th 2021 10:29 pm
Vans are going up in price nicely!
Posted By: Meanmachine Re: Van Prices - April 30th 2021 10:52 pm
Everything is going up in price, some lumber has tripled or more in price. OSB sheeting was $9.99 a sheet before the Pandemic, now it is like $39.95 a sheet.
Posted By: kursed Re: Van Prices - May 01st 2021 4:00 pm
I think a lot of the current van prices are just due to uninformed rookies getting into the hobby. The whole "Van Life" movement has exploded over the past few years. Constantly seeing someone gutting a conversion van to build their dream mobile home. The Boogie Van scene is making a big comeback as well, with everything 70's being the hip new thing these days. A lot of these folks have not spent much of their life dealing with vehicles or mechanical skills in general. Not crapping on them, it is what it is. But there are a ton of Gen Z folks getting into it and just plopping down ridiculous amounts of money on mediocre machinery. Heck, they're even buying them up at inflated prices and shipping them overseas as it seems Japan has shifted from the hot rod and chopper scene and into the retro-van market.

Just my 2 cents.
Posted By: Scrojira Re: Van Prices - May 01st 2021 5:36 pm
I recently had some clown from Arizona relentlessly blowing up my Instagram DMs offering $20,000 to buy Lil' Shitty. My first response was, "It's not for sale, Francis." and he replied, "WTF that supposed to mean?"

That prompted me to tell him that I wouldn't even sell my van for $50,000 to some asshat kid who has never seen Pee-Wee's Big Adventure.

Even after insulting him, he kept trying and eventually asked what my top dollar would be, so I kept the Pee-Wee Herman ball rolling and responded, "I wouldn't sell my van for all the money in the world. Not for 100 billion-million-TRILLION dollars!"

After that, he proceeded to call me an idiot (among other choice things) and said my van was a huge piece of crap anyway. When I asked him why he was willing to shell out 20 grand for something he thinks is a piece of crap, HE BLOCKED ME! 😂
Posted By: Rusty Pancelode Re: Van Prices - May 01st 2021 6:30 pm
lol
Posted By: kursed Re: Van Prices - May 01st 2021 7:45 pm
People are clowns.

I had a similar run in with a guy on Main Street in Daytona years ago while I was passing through in my 72 Chevelle. I've had so many people get nasty with me about not selling it and then give me the "Well fine, just let it sit there and rot" speech. I don't even tell them I'm going to fix it up, but here I am finally have a garage and the tools to do so, and they can all kiss my rosy red.

I won't sell the Chevelle as it was my grandfather's, then my father's, now mine, and hopefully someday one of my kiddos shows enough interest to keep it going. I honestly don't think I could sell the Queen Anne's Revenge either, just because we've had so much awesome family time working on it. But I guess for 20,000 in it's current condition, I would at least be tempted.

Still, people are clowns. lol
Posted By: Scrojira Re: Van Prices - May 01st 2021 10:16 pm
It's not that I think my van is worth $20,000 or more, it's just a perfect example of people flocking to a current trend and thinking they can just throw money into the air and get what they want.

Money aside, I've got so much time and sweat invested Lil' Shitty at this point, that van is like a close friend or family member that I share an emotional bond with. Build your own damn van.
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: Van Prices - May 02nd 2021 1:45 am
Originally Posted by Meanmachine
Everything is going up in price, some lumber has tripled or more in price. OSB sheeting was $9.99 a sheet before the Pandemic, now it is like $39.95 a sheet.

I went to get one sheet of 1/2" plywood for the van and the plywood in Lowes ranged from $58 up to $92 per SHEET!!!
Insane
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: Van Prices - May 02nd 2021 1:46 am
They say everything has a price but I am not sure what that number would have to be to sell either one of my vans, No matter what the number would be I would be losing with all the time I have in them.
Posted By: Rusty Pancelode Re: Van Prices - May 02nd 2021 2:55 am
I don't have that problem...
Nobody wants my stuff.
lol

I did have a UPS guy ask about my Galaxie once when it was sitting under a tree.
I told him, "Take it like it is and $1,500 ought to do it."
He balked.
I pulled it out, cleaned it up, spent about $100 on it to get it going again, and sold it to a good friend for $3,500.
His friends don't believe him that he bought it that cheap.
lol

People can be weird.
Posted By: pontiac59 Re: Van Prices - May 02nd 2021 11:36 pm
Originally Posted by kursed
I think a lot of the current van prices are just due to uninformed rookies getting into the hobby. The whole "Van Life" movement has exploded over the past few years. Constantly seeing someone gutting a conversion van to build their dream mobile home. The Boogie Van scene is making a big comeback as well, with everything 70's being the hip new thing these days. A lot of these folks have not spent much of their life dealing with vehicles or mechanical skills in general. Not crapping on them, it is what it is. But there are a ton of Gen Z folks getting into it and just plopping down ridiculous amounts of money on mediocre machinery. Heck, they're even buying them up at inflated prices and shipping them overseas as it seems Japan has shifted from the hot rod and chopper scene and into the retro-van market.

Just my 2 cents.

Based on what I see some of the goodies, like windows, going for on eBay I should have looked for them five years ago. lol. I really had no idea they were coming back, I just thought it would be fun to dress this one up since I expect to run it a long time.
Posted By: circularpastry Re: Van Prices - May 08th 2021 3:48 pm

Preaching to the choir, but from another lurker (who just signed up today) you're absofreaginlutely right. This is when the people people you're on about start spamming the clap emoji…
Posted By: jcd74 Re: Van Prices - May 08th 2021 8:03 pm
Ok so in bat shite crazy town, there is a 32 G20 for 10k on fakebook right. Cargo no interior!
Posted By: pontiac59 Re: Van Prices - May 08th 2021 9:12 pm
A '32 would be pretty rare though

I saw some on Insurance Auto Auctions that looked like they'd sell cheap. It's kind of like Copart though, sometimes you need a broker to buy.
Posted By: bama2121 Re: Van Prices - May 11th 2021 1:17 am
Ditto One of the dumbest things I ever did was selling my tandem I would buy it back Tomorrow
Posted By: NateB Re: Van Prices - May 11th 2021 11:21 am
In 2017 I paid $2800 for my '93 G20...virtually rust-free w/91,000 miles. Granted it's a high-top conversion.

I've got WAY more than that into it and probably won't sell....unless some Millennial/Gen Z wants to give me $20K LOL!
Posted By: Charlie 99909 Re: Van Prices - May 11th 2021 3:48 pm
Originally Posted by pontiac59

Just my 2 cents.

Based on what I see some of the goodies, like windows, going for on eBay I should have looked for them five years ago. lol. I really had no idea they were coming back, I just thought it would be fun to dress this one up since I expect to run it a long time.

I'm shocked at a lot of the prices I see. I try to keep the parts I sell reasonable based on what I pay and my time to pull them. I'll never sell straight garbage for a ridiculous price. But then there are those silly in demand parts like those van floor mats. I can't believe what some people pay for them.
Posted By: frscke1 Re: Van Prices - May 11th 2021 5:07 pm
The price of a van is only what you can get some one to pay.... throw out a large price and you might catch some one with more money than time.
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: Van Prices - May 11th 2021 5:14 pm
I always let my parts go reasonable as I would like to see another vanner enjoy them.
Posted By: amcochrane Re: Van Prices - May 11th 2021 5:18 pm
found one here for a steal!!

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/city-of-toronto/1979-gmc-vandura/1564561851?undefined
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: Van Prices - May 11th 2021 11:34 pm

Low miles but only one inside pic and not even cleaned for that $ ????
Posted By: SDMickey Re: Van Prices - May 12th 2021 12:48 am
Nice van; Love the box speakers . Too much.
Posted By: pontiac59 Re: Van Prices - May 12th 2021 9:24 pm
I was browsing sold listings on ebay and somebody in North Carolina sold a van similar to mine; a plain work van 95 with only 23,000 miles, former police special unit vehicle, G10 instead of G20, six, no rust but a poor repaint, and a strange roof rack and bin with the spare up inside of it. It was bid to just over $8000 and I don't see a relist like the winner flaked. I guess I did okay with mine, even if you figure the little bit of rust cuts the value in half.
Posted By: LOOKSLO Re: Van Prices - May 13th 2021 8:16 am
I was browsing sold listings on ebay and somebody in North Carolina sold a van similar to mine; a plain work van 95 with only 23,000 miles, former police special unit vehicle, G10 instead of G20, six, no rust but a poor repaint, and a strange roof rack and bin with the spare up inside of it. It was bid to just over $8000 and I don't see a relist like the winner flaked. I guess I did okay with mine, even if you figure the little bit of rust cuts the value in half.

I watched that van on eBay sell. But I found this in marketplace......

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/4629338987082004

I messaged about it and it seemed awful scammy to me

???
Posted By: kursed Re: Van Prices - May 13th 2021 12:11 pm
Originally Posted by LOOKSLO

I watched that van on eBay sell. But I found this in marketplace......

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/4629338987082004

I messaged about it and it seemed awful scammy to me

???

That's a dealership, so they typically put prices like "$1,500" as eye candy and mean $1,500 down payment. My buddy just went through that sh@# with a van that was legitimately only worth $2,000 on a good day, but they meant $2,000 down and $12,000 total. Freaking nut jobs.
Posted By: pontiac59 Re: Van Prices - June 17th 2021 3:53 pm
New York did another surplus auction this week, and there were like 100 vans of all sizes - from big Chevy 3500 Extended high tops to little mini-vans.

Apparently the demand has come down, you have to discredit a bit because about 75% of them were listed as having frame rot issues - not sure I believe it on all of them, and they have been known to make mistakes in the defects listing - but the prices were very low. 2002 Dodge full size van, 55,000 miles, $500. 2005 Caravan, 38K, $700. 2002 Astro, 60,000 miles, frame rot, $500. In fact it was strange, a high miles van that wouldn't move in the video (rear end problem noted) sold for a little more than same year vans with somewhat lower miles that did move. I don't think any of them sold for more than $1700 and most were $500-$1200. The majority were Chevy/GMC vans and a few of those had miles in the 50,000-70,000 range. There were a few super low miles pickups that cheap too, but they didn't all run.

One other problem with this one was the auctioneer was a little behind, where with the one mine was in the vehicles were up for pre-bids for like 10 days, this one they went up Friday afternoon for auction the next Tuesday. I was actually looking at the videos before they were listed.

I was tempted to grab that Caravan as a flip. I can legally sell like two a year without a dealer license in this state. All I could see wrong was the sliding doors had some rot. It might have been like my van, stored in a garage, a lot of the others obviously had sat outside. Would have been easy to bring home, clean up a little, and put on Craigslist for say $2500 and take the first good offer on. I didn't do any research into what it might actually be worth though.
Posted By: kursed Re: Van Prices - June 24th 2021 12:30 am
Just slap a Mystery Machine paint job on it and apparently it increases the value by $30,000 lol

LINK

Attached picture Screenshot 2021-06-23 202938.png
Posted By: frscke1 Re: Van Prices - June 24th 2021 1:05 am
WOW he found him a fish ....lol
Posted By: kursed Re: Van Prices - June 24th 2021 4:02 am
Yeah, apparently the van just sold a few months ago in the $20,000 range. Nice flip.
Posted By: SDMickey Re: Van Prices - June 26th 2021 5:32 am
I just don't get " The Mystery Machine Cult " . I remember seeing back in the early 70's a nice LWB 69' Chevy " Pink Vanther " . Pretty cool. Use to see him at all the local Cali Runs.
Posted By: pontiac59 Re: Van Prices - June 27th 2021 4:41 am
I was thinking of getting a couple of wrap decals done for mine "The Meme Machine" with doge and a few other common meme faces next to it. It's probably more original than going with "Free Candy"
Posted By: ah64pilot Re: Van Prices - September 26th 2021 11:07 pm
We paid $9800 for our all original StarCraft conversion. It has 101k miles on it. When I found it I saw that it had been listed for $12,500 a month earlier and they had steadily brought that down. It was so perfect for us I didn't even haggle... But it's in really great condition. Drove it home from Ohio to Texas the day we bought it.

I've already put a couple thousand into it redoing the front suspension and brakes, and wheels and tires. It didn't need anything, not pressing anyway, but I'm a car guy and I just have to tinker with my toys.

It's also hard to negotiate when you've flown one way to pick up a car and it's everything the seller told you it was 😂
Posted By: SDMickey Re: Van Prices - September 27th 2021 3:26 am
You fly in; take an Uber; tell him your Trailer Queen Van is getting a re-paint and you're thinking of getting a commuter van lol ( you did good bro. Your van is clean and you got a nice price. )
Posted By: Rusty Pancelode Re: Van Prices - September 27th 2021 3:45 pm
We should tease him like we roast the classifieds section.
lol

I would have given that guy $3250.
lol
Posted By: SDMickey Re: Van Prices - September 28th 2021 4:04 am
At least you didn't mention his sister lol
Posted By: K_e_n Re: Van Prices - October 01st 2021 9:59 pm
Ok...gonna give everyone a voice here....tell me what this is worth....I trust you guys to know better than asking a bunch of random people on Facebook...obviously, I want to get a fair price for it-but I'm not greedy either. I've gotten to that point in life where I want to see it made into something nice rather than get rich quick on it.

1980 GMC VanDura 15 series shorty. 4.1 six cylinder-3 speed column shift. Runs, but the carb is trash...won't idle below 1200 or so-runs smooth above that-no knocking/smoking. I've personally driven it up to 60 mph close to the house here(no tags-haha) and it drives just like an old van-nothing stupid-rides soft-doesn't dive when braking, gears are smooth, etc.Steers well-drives straight. Has all three speeds plus reverse.

Brakes will need gone through, but it stops and doesn't leak anywhere. Overall a very decent van. Power steering and nothing else. NO A/C. Has been sitting for a couple years, but semi-sheltered-I caught it before it got bad.

Showing 63k miles-likely 163, but no way of knowing.Glass is good.

Body is pretty remarkable-as in I think there may be a small handful of rust on the WHOLE thing! Good quality repaint that's a couple shades darker than the factory green-this is kinda Army Green but shiny. Have new door seals in the plastic. Good NC title in my name.

VAN IS NOT PERFECT OR SHOW QUALITY. BUT A REALLY GOOD SOLID DRIVER RIGHT NOW.(fix the carb)

UNDECIDED as to selling it or not-but I probably SHOULD pass this on to a TRUE GM person and finish fixing my Dodge as I'm a lifelong Mopar guy....now-how do I post the pics here???
Posted By: kursed Re: Van Prices - October 01st 2021 10:11 pm
I've got a friend looking for a shorty. Window van or cargo? Do you have any pics?
Posted By: kursed Re: Van Prices - October 01st 2021 10:30 pm
Originally Posted by K_e_n
I've got a friend looking for a shorty. Window van or cargo? Do you have any pics?
can I email them to you?
Sure man, I'll PM the address.
Posted By: kursed Re: Van Prices - October 02nd 2021 12:31 am
Posting pics for Ken

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com][Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
Posted By: kursed Re: Van Prices - October 02nd 2021 12:37 am
My guess, and totally a guess without actually seeing it in person, somewhere around the $3,000-4,000 range. Most everyone will want to swap that L6 for a V8, but a few still dig the 6. Body is pretty clean, but she obviously needs a little work. The market for these is all over the place right now. I've seen some sell for super cheap when I know they should bring more, and others sell for super high when they shouldn't have brought near that. I think some people just get the van bug really bad and go bid crazy on them. Very nice start to a sweet right though for sure.
Posted By: K_e_n Re: Van Prices - October 02nd 2021 12:38 am
THANKS!! Couldn't figure out the resizing process!!
Posted By: kursed Re: Van Prices - October 02nd 2021 1:35 am
Anytime man. Always happy to help.
Posted By: lukester Re: Van Prices - October 02nd 2021 2:42 am
That's definitely a good looking van. I agree 3-4k I think the no AC and the 6 cylinder is the only things keepin it from going for more.
Posted By: Rusty Pancelode Re: Van Prices - October 02nd 2021 3:54 am
I would agree, too.
Posted By: SDMickey Re: Van Prices - October 02nd 2021 4:53 am
Ditto.
Posted By: kursed Re: Van Prices - October 20th 2021 7:49 pm
Apparently that was a good guess, my buddy Jon ended up snatching it up. He doesn't do forums, but I'll eventually start a build thread for it.
© Vannin' Community and Forums