Vannin' Home
Posted By: ccccccc Chopped Tops - November 26th 2019 2:42 am
Spoke to quite a few body men ( and women) at the MCACN this past weekend. Main subject was vehicles that have been chopped. One point of concern is if any door or glass for that matter has to be custom fabricated. Nothing factory stock or salvaged will fit correctly. One aspect I forgot about was glass, either windows or windshield too. I know we have some nice chopped rides here on the board. Just inquiring about owner's thoughts. I have looked at a couple recently and always ask if the current owner / seller knows who did the body modifications. I don't know of many "shops" that still perform chopped services. Regards, CCCCCCC in SW Michigan. I do have a buddy who will look at the Turkey Rod Run for vehicles. Happy Thanksgiving to all.
Posted By: newkirkinc1 Re: Chopped Tops - November 26th 2019 12:27 pm
I am sure there are a few vanners that could advise ya.
Posted By: kursed Re: Chopped Tops - November 26th 2019 9:17 pm
Most roof chops on any vehicle use pieces from donor vehicles to add in material where needed due to cutting everything in sections to lower the roofline. Lots of times the doors have to be sectioned as well. I've seen all sorts of different methods used for chopping tips over the years, from leaning A pillars back to leaving them straight up.

Google hot rod chop top how to, and I'm sure you'd find a lot more info. If I were to chop a car, truck, or van; I would try to get a spare roof and doors for the extra sheetmetal needed. I'd love to try one someday, but doubt I ever will.
Posted By: Astrocreep66 Re: Chopped Tops - November 26th 2019 9:29 pm
I still think..my opinion.. Nautilus has one of the best chops and Warlock circa 1979 was a wicked chop. Just me.😃
Posted By: DadsVan Re: Chopped Tops - November 27th 2019 12:30 am
agreed...top notch rigs for sure
Posted By: GVANFAN Re: Chopped Tops - November 27th 2019 1:00 am
Sounds like an interesting thing to try.
Posted By: ccccccc Re: Chopped Tops - December 01st 2019 5:38 pm
Kursed, Saw some ideas on a straight chop vs. angle chop from the A pillars back. Still looking into different methods. Regards, CCCCCCC in SW Michigan.
Posted By: LOOKSLO Re: Chopped Tops - December 02nd 2019 12:22 pm
what about just buying one? lol

https://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/cto/7025949157.html
Posted By: Astrocreep66 Re: Chopped Tops - December 02nd 2019 6:09 pm
That is priced to sell, that is cool.
Posted By: Death or victory Re: Chopped Tops - December 02nd 2019 6:17 pm
Now that is worth the higher price! What a cool van, must be another Radoff, Yosemite Sam Radoff did the van in that last image.
Posted By: newkirkinc1 Re: Chopped Tops - December 02nd 2019 10:45 pm
That is a great price for what it is.
Posted By: ccccccc Re: Chopped Tops - December 11th 2019 9:43 pm
Still in the "hunt". Have to figure out seating, captains chairs that swivel & recline. I am 6'2" and desire some comfort while driving. Regards, ccccccc in SW Michigan
© Vannin' Community and Forums