Vannin' Home
Posted By: Gnarlyfoot Aggravating Mirror Whistling - January 10th 2019 12:59 am
Hello everyone, tried to find an answer to this question using the search option but had no luck. So here's my problem. The drivers side mirror on my '01 1500 has a whistling sound that seems to begin at about 20 - 25 mph and continues to get louder the faster you go. Not too bad with the window up, but roll it down and it'll drive ya nuts. And yes it definitely is coming from the mirror. Is anyone else experiencing this same problem, and if so what did you do to rectify the problem. Any help would be appreciated. My ears thank you ! Lol.
Posted By: Dyno_Dave Re: Aggravating Mirror Whistling - January 10th 2019 2:42 pm
I've had my '97 Express for a couple of years now, driven many hours with the windows down. The mirror shapes are the same. I have never experienced that noise.
Posted By: Wizard78 Re: Aggravating Mirror Whistling - January 10th 2019 9:40 pm
Can it whistle a tune?
Sorry no help here smile
Posted By: Meanmachine Re: Aggravating Mirror Whistling - January 10th 2019 11:49 pm
Would possibly rotating the mirror head in or out a bit, or up and down to a different position make any difference.
Posted By: RichardB Re: Aggravating Mirror Whistling - January 11th 2019 3:15 am
Is there a small crack or hole in the mirror housing that could be causing it? I've owned many cars and none of them ever had a whistling rearview mirror.

- Rich
Posted By: Rusty Pancelode Re: Aggravating Mirror Whistling - January 11th 2019 8:16 pm
You music isn't loud enough.
Turn your radio up and it should go away.

I'm with Meanmachine... try moving it around to see if it helps or changes the sound.
Posted By: Dyno_Dave Re: Aggravating Mirror Whistling - January 11th 2019 9:29 pm
Originally Posted by Rusty_Pancelode

yeah
Posted By: Wizard78 Re: Aggravating Mirror Whistling - January 11th 2019 9:35 pm
Originally Posted by Rusty_Pancelode

I'm with Meanmachine... try moving it around to see if it helps or changes the sound.

True Dat rofl
Posted By: Gnarlyfoot Re: Aggravating Mirror Whistling - January 12th 2019 1:55 am
Well after doing some further research, it would appear that some other Express owners as well as some Tahoe and Suburban owners are experiencing the same whistling phenomenon as I am. One Express owner put a thin piece of rubber in the crack of the support arm where the mirror folds. Evidently this area is the source of the whistle. And yes folding in the mirror just a bit does cause the noise to cease. So as soon as the weather warms a bit and the snow goes away I'll try that guys idea and see if it stops my problem. Almost tempted to remove these plastic junk mirrors and install some G20 chrome mirrors. Hmmm...might just be a good winter project !
Posted By: Meanmachine Re: Aggravating Mirror Whistling - January 12th 2019 4:29 pm
I have a 1999 and 2004 Tahoe with similar mirrors. Looking at them today, I wonder if running a bead of flexible caulking in the seam would work. Only problem would be a limited use of adjusting the mirror angle of view. Have you checked to make sure there is no debris caught in the mirror, such as leaves, small twig or branch, etc.
Posted By: RichardB Re: Aggravating Mirror Whistling - January 13th 2019 12:27 am
What about some thin stick on weatherstripping in black to mostly plug the crack?

- Rich
Posted By: Gnarlyfoot Re: Aggravating Mirror Whistling - January 15th 2019 4:32 am
Actually no (meanmachine) I have not checked the mirror bracket for leaves or twigs. Good idea ! Thought never crossed my mind. Also may try ( Richardb) 's idea of a thin piece of weather stripping and see if that does the trick. Thanks guys for your suggestions in solving my problem. If all else fails, I'll just take ( rusty_ pancelode ) 's idea and crank up the tunes good and loud. That'll git 'er done for sure. ( If it's too loud....you're too old ) Happy vanning to all. 😎
Posted By: Rusty Pancelode Re: Aggravating Mirror Whistling - January 24th 2019 9:02 pm
Rock on, brother! LOL
© Vannin' Community and Forums