Vannin' Home
Posted By: Matman visiting USA - May 22nd 2018 9:39 pm
Greetings folks, well it's decided, my wife and I will be visiting the Usa in Aug. We haven`t been there for a few years hence the silly questions. We will prob fly direct to Memphis for Elvis week then spend another 2 / 3 weeks or so driving around, maybe head towards New York then back towards LA on Route 66.
Would you:
Rent a small Rv (maybe G10 Chevy van size) thus saving on hotel / motel costs?
........OR....
Rent a small car and stay in hotel / motels?

Is there a budget chain of motels in the Us where we could expect resonable accomodation at a fair price.

Do you have bed and breakfast places over there? In Memphis area would be good to start.
Any advice would be appreciated
many thanks.
Posted By: CatFish Re: visiting USA - May 22nd 2018 10:52 pm
A small RV will burn quite a bit of fuel, there will be campground fees, laundry to do and fumbling with the hookups. Also, you would have to unhook in order to explore areas near your camping.

Since you asked, I would rent what I would like to drive (Jeep, Corvette or VAN) and do the hotels or B&B's. A little research and you can find some great outta the way B&B's and some of the chains (like Hampton Inns and/or Hilton) will help with the planning.

My 2%
Posted By: frscke1 Re: visiting USA - May 22nd 2018 11:00 pm
Well if you make it out to San Diego you wont need a Hotel.... I have a room for you.
Posted By: Starlord Re: visiting USA - May 23rd 2018 12:49 am
The last couple of years, we've switched from our usual motels to Baymont Inns. Not super high rates and they do offer breakfast and a few I've been at also offer a free booze hour.
Posted By: Greenstreak Re: visiting USA - May 24th 2018 2:18 am
With all of the miles you'll cover I would think it would be better financially to rent a smaller car and stay at chain motels for $70 a night.
Posted By: Matman Re: visiting USA - May 24th 2018 11:52 pm
Hi Guys, thanks for your advice, very much appreciated - yeah , I think car and motels are the way to go, and to respond to
FRSCKE1 `s kind offer, I make the same offer to any of you who intend travelling down under, we`d love you to visit with us.
Just be sure to bring the recipes for Pecan Pie and Grits ..ha..

We loved San Diego, but do you have room for me and my wife, 8 kids, two mothers in law, three dogs and a cat?
ha lol... just kidding.

bye the way I have Lance Lipinsky coming over to perform at a RnR Festival here next month. You can see the poster here if you want to check him out. He`s from Wimberly Texas , and recently finished a two year stint at the Million Dollar Quartet show in Chicago. matmanpromotions.com
Thanks again guys,
Posted By: frscke1 Re: visiting USA - May 25th 2018 12:54 am
Come on bye we'll work it out ....lol

Ill take the M I Laws in my room , the kids can have the garage , the cats N dogs can go on the Barby ....lol

But there is no need for you to bring your own food ....lol
Posted By: Matman Re: visiting USA - May 25th 2018 11:34 am
BARBY???

where did you larn that lingo?
Oh I know ........... Crocodile Dundee
Posted By: frscke1 Re: visiting USA - May 25th 2018 12:44 pm
Outback commercial ....lol
Posted By: BigTime Re: visiting USA - May 25th 2018 7:48 pm
i could see big red running round the outback no problems !!
Posted By: CatFish Re: visiting USA - May 26th 2018 4:09 pm
Originally Posted by CatFish
A small RV will burn quite a bit of fuel, there will be campground fees, laundry to do and fumbling with the hookups. Also, you would have to unhook in order to explore areas near your camping.

Since you asked, I would rent what I would like to drive (Jeep, Corvette or VAN) and do the hotels or B&B's. A little research and you can find some great outta the way B&B's and some of the chains (like Hampton Inns and/or Hilton) will help with the planning.

My 2%

I changed my mind somewhat on my advice. Take whatever will allow you the flexibility to stop whenever you want, do a side trip anytime you see something interesting and that drives easy on the backroads. Because the interstate highways are NOT America, the backroads and the people who live there, that's America.
Posted By: Matman Re: visiting USA - June 02nd 2018 12:20 am
Thanks CatFish,
much appreciated and I agree, I annoy my wife sometimes when we go down the coast I pick my way thru the suburbs instead of using the freeway.
Posted By: Matman Re: visiting USA - July 01st 2018 7:40 am
Hi Guys, just a quick update, we are looking at leaving Oz on Aug 3rd, just have to get clearance from my doc. That wont be a prob.
Planning on at least 5 weeks over there, will be happy to say where were heading if you want to know.
One thing is a must and thats Long Beach swap meet Aug 5. question would there be a dedicated area catering for Cgevy vans, I mean do they sort of group various makes and models in certain areas to make it easier to locate?
we`ll have a bout a week in LA before heading off to Memphis, cheers for now.

Posted By: frscke1 Re: visiting USA - July 01st 2018 1:49 pm
You can call them but from the pictures I dont think so ... https://www.longbeachhiposwapmeet.com/
© Vannin' Community and Forums