Vannin' Home
Posted By: oldskool73 Slider extensions ? - September 11th 2017 4:56 am
I've been thinking about adding fender flares to my '75 Ford shorty, but I haven't been able to find a source for sliding door extension hardware to create the necessary clearance. Anyone have a source ?
Posted By: Reed Re: Slider extensions ? - September 11th 2017 5:01 am
Old stock. Ebay, craigslist, junkyard, swap meet. However, if you are handy with a welder or know someone who is, you can build your own from two standard door extensions. Then you have to find a way to extend the stop in the slider track to get the slider arm to stop sliding at the right point in time.
Posted By: Boxdin Re: Slider extensions ? - September 11th 2017 9:36 am
They never worked properly anyway,
Posted By: Reed Re: Slider extensions ? - September 11th 2017 5:42 pm
I had one on my old 84 E150. It actually worked OK, most of the time. Getting the stop adjustment set properly was critical.
Posted By: oldskool73 Re: Slider extensions ? - September 12th 2017 12:35 am
Been checking ebay,craigslist. Nothing that fits '75. I knew lots of guys who had them "back then", most worked just fine.
Posted By: frscke1 Re: Slider extensions ? - September 12th 2017 1:26 am
If a person that lives near a Bone Yard that could collect all the slider arms..... make a jig & welding fixture. The 1st run could be 50 extensions. They could make a fortune.... well a vanner fortune ...lol
Posted By: Greenstreak Re: Slider extensions ? - September 12th 2017 2:08 am
I've been keeping my eyes open for 6 months and haven't found anything for my 84 just yet. I wish someone with the know how would make them again. I'd throw money at them.
Posted By: Reed Re: Slider extensions ? - September 12th 2017 5:18 am
Get two stock slider extensions. Cut one end off each. Weld them together. Done.
Posted By: OVANNER Re: Slider extensions ? - September 12th 2017 3:42 pm
I welded two together for my 76 Ford and it worked perfect. I see them on Ebay but the cost is up there. If you need it you have to pay.
Posted By: frscke1 Re: Slider extensions ? - September 12th 2017 4:30 pm
As I stated some one that can weld can make a small fortune !

Come on some one make a dozen & see .....
Posted By: MobileCustoms Re: Slider extensions ? - September 12th 2017 4:43 pm
I'm doing one for my Dodge and planning to just section in a piece of 3/4" round steel (solid) that I got from the local Tractor Supply store. No need to sacrifice two factory ones, in my opinion. Fingers crossed, it works out well for me! I don't see why it wouldn't. Then, just gotta carefully reset the stop tab to make sure it lines up properly and doesn't hurt my paint.
Posted By: Greenstreak Re: Slider extensions ? - September 13th 2017 2:45 am
It can't be hard to make. My problem is I've never actually seen one in person to know exactly what has to be done to make everything function properly.
Posted By: oldskool73 Re: Slider extensions ? - September 13th 2017 5:15 am
Originally Posted by Greenstreak
It can't be hard to make. My problem is I've never actually seen one in person to know exactly what has to be done to make everything function properly.

Exactly. How long do you make it so it works properly and not TOO long ? And different for Ford, Dodge, Chevy ?
Posted By: MobileCustoms Re: Slider extensions ? - September 13th 2017 1:09 pm
Well, I took a stab at it and added 2 1/2" length. It opens a lot farther now but still not all the way. I wouldn't go any longer because it's too much leverage on the mechanism. Still gotta do some more tweaking and final welding.
Here's a link to some photos I took:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/fUq5iwTJR2w4P9Gp1
Posted By: frscke1 Re: Slider extensions ? - September 13th 2017 2:47 pm
Originally Posted by Greenstreak

Originally Posted by oldskool73
Exactly. How long do you make it so it works properly and not TOO long ? And different for Ford, Dodge, Chevy ?

Can people, that have the extension already, measure so we can get a Chevy length, a Dodge & a Ford length......if they are all different.

Originally Posted by Reed
Then you have to find a way to extend the stop in the slider track to get the slider arm to stop sliding at the right point in time.

Posted By: oldskool73 Re: Slider extensions ? - September 13th 2017 4:17 pm
Thanks Doug, I applaud the bold move. Keep us posted as you get it figured out. I noticed that the Dodge has a U-shaped bar while my Ford has an S-shaped bar in the middle of the door. Might be why some worked better than others.
Posted By: Vanner68 Re: Slider extensions ? - September 14th 2017 1:52 am
Not too oversimplify, but the amount you extend should be the same as the amount you need the door to move outward to clear the flare/tire.....

I have a spare arm I may play around with, I'm toying with the idea of just making a complete arm out of 3/4" round stock.
Posted By: oldskool73 Re: Slider extensions ? - September 14th 2017 5:46 am
With my Ford's mechanism being in the middle of the door, you're probably correct. But MobileCustom's Dodge has the mechanism at the top of the door and you can see in his photo that the added length is tweaking the door, probably not getting the equal extension. And as Doug mentioned, putting excessive leverage on the mechanism.
Posted By: Vanner68 Re: Slider extensions ? - September 14th 2017 11:08 am
They all do that.

If you grab the bottom of a Dodge or Chevy slider door, you can move the door a few inches. Any extension is going to increase the load on the mechanism, that's just physics. There was no 'magic design' to the slider extensions in the 70's, they were just a few inches longer- about 4" if I remember.

That said, the track and mechanism can handle the load ok as long as the area isn't rusted out.
Posted By: MobileCustoms Re: Slider extensions ? - September 27th 2017 10:09 pm
I finished my home made slider extension and it's working great! I had to make a new hard nylon glider piece because the old one was worn pretty bad and causing some binding. Once i got everything tweaked and adjusted, it's working really well. I cleaned all of the old hardened grease & grime out of the top and bottom tracks and that REALLY made a huge improvement in the way it all works...Easily operates with one hand & a gentle pull.

Here's a link to some pics:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/uV7kbg3azJS9tgqE2

Attached picture IMG_20170927_160850100.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20170927_161019250.jpg
Attached File
IMG_20170927_160954446.jpg  (3 downloads)
Posted By: oldskool73 Re: Slider extensions ? - October 10th 2017 5:14 am
Nice job Doug. Looks like a clean job. (I apologize for the late response, my computer quit and just found time to get off the island to replace it.)
Posted By: Tom 79 G 20 Re: Slider extensions ? - October 11th 2017 5:37 pm
Hi All

The stock Chevy extender is 5 1/4 inches. I found one at the junkyard off a conversion van. It's exactly twice as long at 10 1/2 inches. I found it by chance. I was at the junkyard for something unrelated.

After I thought about it, it made sense. A lot of these conversion vans were sold off the lot with flairs. Some with running boards. If they had a sliding door, it had a longer extender.

Posted By: oldskool73 Re: Slider extensions ? - October 12th 2017 5:46 am
Originally Posted by Tom 79 G 20
Hi All

The stock Chevy extender is 5 1/4 inches. I found one at the junkyard off a conversion van. It's exactly twice as long at 10 1/2 inches. I found it by chance. I was at the junkyard for something unrelated.

After I thought about it, it made sense. A lot of these conversion vans were sold off the lot with flairs. Some with running boards. If they had a sliding door, it had a longer extender.

Great info, Tom. Now find me an extension for a '75 Ford.
Posted By: 80vandura2500 Re: Slider extensions ? - September 17th 2018 4:44 am
My Vanagon came with the longer extension and it is broken. I have a spare one but it is smaller, is there a way to move the track or something to allow the smaller extension to fit?
Posted By: BillRussell Re: Slider extensions ? - December 05th 2018 8:08 pm
I have a 1975 Chevy G10 and my extension is 10 1/8" center line to center line. However, mine is not functioning correctly. It delivers the door to the rear locking pin about 1/2" to low. Can't seem to adjust it to correct this problem. May be the nylon block (although it looks good) or the arm is a bit bent. Any ideas. I'm getting frustrated with this issue.
Posted By: frscke1 Re: Slider extensions ? - December 05th 2018 8:09 pm
Welcome to the site Bill ....
Posted By: BillRussell Re: Slider extensions ? - December 05th 2018 8:45 pm
I have a 1975 Chevy Van and mine is 10 1/8" center line to center line.
This is a response to Slider Extension Lengths on page 2 of this post.
Posted By: Scrojira Re: Slider extensions ? - December 05th 2018 10:07 pm
Originally Posted by BillRussell
I have a 1975 Chevy G10 and my extension is 10 1/8" center line to center line. However, mine is not functioning correctly. It delivers the door to the rear locking pin about 1/2" to low. Can't seem to adjust it to correct this problem. May be the nylon block (although it looks good) or the arm is a bit bent. Any ideas. I'm getting frustrated with this issue.

Gullwing it!
Posted By: Vanner68 Re: Slider extensions ? - December 31st 2018 3:03 am
I extended my stock arm by welding in 6" of round stock. Door actually works smoother now than it did stock. On Chevy, you also need to make the linkage about 1/4" longer for the bottom latch so it will latch open.

Attached picture IMG_20180526_162942.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20180526_173840.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20180526_184225.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20180526_185056.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20180526_185115 (1).jpg
© Vannin' Community and Forums