Vannin' Home
Posted By: MrSmokey Argument for older van? - August 21st 2017 8:12 pm
Alrighty, i have a practical question for yall.

I need a van, we have lived with wagons for a while, but after seeing my friends g20 and the layout: captains chairs, foyer entrance, galley, space, height etc, and the fact we are going to have another kiddo, i am pushed towards vans.

Now, i have some preference for older chevy stuff as i have parts, i have a 95 caprice which shares the bolt pattern so all the wheels are swapable etc (winter/dirt set sport set, etc), and i just know my way around the small block and the 700r4/4l60 well, and though sluggy i know the late tbi is crazy reliable.

Other than nostagia, how do the older vans, like the 71-95 chevy, original dodge b series van, and say the 3rd gen econoline hold up to new stuff, like say the 4rth gen econoline. This would be a daily driver, and road trip, and camp, and tow, vehicle.

im looking at a 95 g20, and it is very clean being from the south (i am in new england), and well taken care of, but the price is high for market, but i like it. would i be nuts to not consider a newer van at the same price with the same miles etc, say a 2002 econoline etc?

I would appreciate any advice from you guys who have lived with these things as daily drivers, etc...

my heart says go with the g20, but a lot of friends have steered me to look at newer stuff, for more practicality, reliability etc. then again, economy is about the same for any gas full size van from 70-now, for the most part.

anybody want to talk me in either direction?

i have some individual points of argument for both, but i'll see what yall say first.

thanks!

Posted By: frscke1 Re: Argument for older van? - August 21st 2017 9:17 pm
Welcome to the site Smokie .... I say go for it, as I favor the G-series also. Just a little biggger than what your lookin for ...lol

Again welcome ..... ya cant go wrong in a Chevy !
Posted By: Hasan Ben Sobar Re: Argument for older van? - August 21st 2017 9:34 pm
Newer vans were never part of the "movement". Customization parts will be an issue with a newer van. Older vans with a sound body can be rebuilt. Plus they can be up-graded (FI and brakes) to much newer specs. a lot of custom parts are still around.Plus if you live in certain places, emissions will not be an issue.
Posted By: oldskool73 Re: Argument for older van? - August 22nd 2017 4:39 am
Personally, my choice was based on one thought ..."You only live once, and life is too short."
Posted By: Vanner68 Re: Argument for older van? - August 22nd 2017 11:12 am
The 3rd gen chevy- especially near the end of it's run- has about the fewest 'bugs' to deal with. I have an 83 G10 that I just turn the key and go. I made the trip from Detroit to Branson MO and back with no issues. They have a comfortable ride. There really isn't too much of an advantage to a newer van.
Posted By: Death or victory Re: Argument for older van? - August 22nd 2017 5:53 pm
I have a 73 G20 and have zero problems with it as well, just drove it 2k miles in a week. Just a matter of the condition of the van, regardless of year. Newer tech is nice but old simple shit like these vans is hard to beat. My buddies later one is nice though because it does have the 700R4 and TBI. They go forever in nearly an configuration. Newer econolines are great vans too so it just matters what you want to do with it. Some people dont give a shit about vintage vanner goodies and all the old stuff. they just want a nice van and you can find that with newer ones too.
Posted By: MrSmokey Re: Argument for older van? - August 23rd 2017 3:26 am
Thanks everyone, yea, im not super into the vintage goodies, I like them, but that is not what i am here for. i just want a decent van, but i do appreciate the older stuff. I like the older aesthetics for sure. I really would like the practical side of the argument, and as far as i can tell it holds water. The late tbi should be as bomb proof as anything...
Posted By: Dyno_Dave Re: Argument for older van? - August 23rd 2017 10:24 am
I loved my '95 shorty conversion. Was our family vacation vehicle, road trip vehicle, tow vehicle, etc. Great truck.
Posted By: MrSmokey Re: Argument for older van? - August 23rd 2017 12:20 pm
Thanks Dave, how did you like it compared to your 97, i know vortec? has more pep.
The 95 i am lookin at is nice, but extremely over priced for market value, and even ebay, but i think i am going to at least try to make them an offer. Then again, vans are generally way undervalued. The only stuff wrong with it (that i can tell) are little fiddly things like the drivers top hinge pin, the passenger side window switch/motor something, vent window latch, some trim. Some dents and bangs. It is immaculate in terms of rust, and runs good, and its a flat up beauville passenger van, which is someone difficult to find, most are conversions, work vans, etc.
Posted By: MrSmokey Re: Argument for older van? - August 23rd 2017 12:21 pm
thanks everyone for the input!
Posted By: frscke1 Re: Argument for older van? - August 23rd 2017 2:23 pm
Yes the Beauville are hard to find, start hitting the bone yards for your little goodies. You may not need them now but you will & they will become very hard to find parts for.....
Posted By: Dyno_Dave Re: Argument for older van? - August 29th 2017 8:59 pm
Mr. Smokey,

I love my Express. And yes, the extra 55 horsepower for the L31 5.7L Vs. the older TBI L05 5.7L is nice too!

The GMT600 (1996 Chevy Express and GMC Savana) were completely new designs. Nothing was carried over. Everything is newer tech...radios are a newer family, brakes are newer, 4-wheel ABS is a newer generation EBC310 from the old EBC4, trans is electronically controlled, PCM is more powerful, body control module gets you nice little things like a dome light that stays on for 30 seconds after you close the doors, pop out windows are fairly common on the passenger versions and conversion vans, fully trimmed interiors with no exposed painted metal, alloy wheels are common, move to newer (still used and supported) OBDII diagnostics, the body is tighter, quieter, has the unique rear cargo door hinges that allow the doors to open 180* to the body, moves back to a full frame separate form the body, they are still in production in 2500 series form, so parts are still very easy to get, etc. etc. etc.

But, some folks prefer the older tech, and I think a LOT of vanners prefer the the styling of the 3rd gen van Vs. the Express. So it's just a matter of personal choice. Take one for a drive and compare for yourself.
Posted By: tuner4life Re: Argument for older van? - August 30th 2017 12:34 pm
For me it was a styling choice mostly. That and I am not a fan of newer vehicles anyways. I can add the LS engine and any of the other features I want to an older one.

I feel the same way about all types vehicles. There are very few "new" ones that really excite me. Most are cheap garbage built to the corporate accountant's liking with the only concern being emissions and cheapness to manufacture.
Posted By: Rusty Pancelode Re: Argument for older van? - August 31st 2017 4:03 pm
yeah
Posted By: MrSmokey Re: Argument for older van? - March 20th 2018 5:08 pm
Originally Posted by tuner4life
For me it was a styling choice mostly. That and I am not a fan of newer vehicles anyways. I can add the LS engine and any of the other features I want to an older one.

I feel the same way about all types vehicles. There are very few "new" ones that really excite me. Most are cheap garbage built to the corporate accountant's liking with the only concern being emissions and cheapness to manufacture.

Yes, LS is the plan when the 5.7 gets too tired.

...i did buy the 95, already had to rebuild the rear end (oodles of carrier play!), put billys, and front and rear sway bar on it. I have springs waiting for the back but weather has not been something i wanted to work in so i held off.
I need to do the whole front end and align the pig at this point. It does pretty good in the snow with studded duratracs on the back... I made a stainless exhaust for it as well, from the manifolds back.

Thankyou everyone.
Posted By: SirTimTim Re: Argument for older van? - March 21st 2018 10:18 pm
Love my 89! I've had it for over 10 years including a couple trips from Sacramento to Washington. Used for 10 years as a "Band" van towing a 6x10 enclosed trailer full of gear. It is the most reliable car I have ever owned. That being said, I wouldn't mind a newer Express passenger van.
Posted By: Hasan Ben Sobar Re: Argument for older van? - March 21st 2018 10:41 pm
TPI is superior to TBI in every measureable aspect. And the boneyards are full of them.
© Vannin' Community and Forums