Vannin' Home
Posted By: madness Side Pipes - August 19th 2017 12:15 am
Ok, I know I am probably beating a dead horse here. I was going to go with Patriot Side pipes on my chevy 76 shorty, but I have had a lot of negative response to their pipes. I do not want them to look like hell in a year or two. I cannot find any other options. it has been frustrating. So the question:

Has anyone ever used semi curved stack pipe for side pipes? I know I would need 1 band clamp, and I can get everything chromed in 3.5 inch. I am planning on drilling 2 holes in the pipes, one in the front and one in the rear to run a large diameter bolt through. I would use the bolts as mounting points. if I do this on the side hidden under the van I think it will be clean. has anyone ever done this??? Does anyone have any other options??? Any opinions??

thanks

matt
Posted By: CatFish Re: Side Pipes - August 20th 2017 1:23 pm
One option posted on CL.

https://tulsa.craigslist.org/pts/d/thrush-aluminum-side-pipes/6260027894.html

Posted By: madness Re: Side Pipes - August 21st 2017 10:34 pm
thank you. I wish there was a contact on this listing for questions.
Posted By: Vanner68 Re: Side Pipes - August 22nd 2017 11:14 am
Anything you hang under the rocker is going to corrode in the winter- especially if the roads are salted or worse- brined. The front wheel is going to spray the pipe with garbage.
Posted By: madness Re: Side Pipes - August 22nd 2017 1:56 pm
I am not planning on this van being on the roads in the winter just for this reason. it's too clean to allow to start rusting.
Posted By: Vanner68 Re: Side Pipes - August 22nd 2017 4:33 pm
They are still susceptible to road garbage, all you can do is clean them often.
Posted By: mikehowell Re: Side Pipes - August 24th 2017 5:18 am
The thrush really look good when they are cleaned up but they are not cheap
Posted By: Meanmachine Re: Side Pipes - August 24th 2017 9:43 am
I remember my first set of Thrush Sidekicks I bought back around 1978 for my Mid-Dodge, around $75 for the pair. Everybody was running sidepipes back then, on vans, trucks, and cars, the auto parts had boxes of them stacked from floor to ceiling.
Posted By: oldskool73 Re: Side Pipes - August 25th 2017 12:56 am
I'm planning to remove my sidepipes ...

Attached File
DSC_0133.JPG  (26 downloads)
© Vannin' Community and Forums