Vannin' Home
Posted By: swimmster Music for long drives in your van - October 23rd 2008 6:22 pm
Trying to put together some music for my drives.. I think "Driving Music" should be it's own Genre.. I'll throw out some of my list.. let me know what your favorite vannin driving tunes are.

Salsalito Summer Nights - Diesel
Switchin' to Glide/This Beat goes on - The Kings
Turn the Page - Bob Seger or Metallica (GREAT night driving tune)
Melissa - Allmond Bros.
Sorrow - Pink FLoyd (nuther awesome night tune)
Dream Weaver - Gary Wright (night time music)
Crazy - Seal
Sundown - Gordon Lightfoot
Welcome to the Boomtown - David & David
Go for a Soda - Kim Mitchell
Children of the Sun - Billy Thorpe

Small sample of my list. lol.. that you guys think? and gals too!!

Posted By: NateB Re: Music for long drives in your van - October 23rd 2008 6:27 pm
Anything from Dio, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Ozzy, Judas Priest, etc.
Posted By: swimmster Re: Music for long drives in your van - October 23rd 2008 6:32 pm
Dio and Dokken.. niice.. ahve not heard stuff from them since highschool.. Ozzy.. i like Time after Time and the recent Dreamer.
Posted By: NateB Re: Music for long drives in your van - October 23rd 2008 6:35 pm
Sometimes I'll carry the heavier stuff. Metallica(pre-1991), Slayer, Exodus, Motorhead, etc.
Posted By: OVANNER Re: Music for long drives in your van - October 23rd 2008 6:57 pm
I have them all wired into my Ipod, no more CD's. Right now 1600 songs to choose from. I'm with Nate, I have a Playlist called Rockin Out Friday for the cruise home before the weekend. Iron F-In Maiden, Priest, Dokken, Limp, Metallica, AC/DC, Ozzy and many more.
Posted By: Doc 2% of Canada, EH!!!! Re: Music for long drives in your van - October 23rd 2008 7:11 pm
How far have you driven lately to hear that many tunes ??? smile

I could have heard that many quite a few times myself..

I broke the tuner on my 30 year old Sparkomatic over the summer............now I have a 25 year old Kenwood search...Nice !!!!
Posted By: Wicked Re: Music for long drives in your van - October 23rd 2008 7:16 pm
One of the most vivid memories I have is driving East from Wa to Pa. It was the early morning around day three or four. The sun was cresting the horizon, I was in the middle of Whyoming, in the middle of nowhere. I had the Allman Bros. playing, and I got this feeling that wherever I was, it was right where I was supposed to be. Nothing goes better with the open road than the Allmans. (Ramblin' Man...nuff said)
Posted By: swimmster Re: Music for long drives in your van - October 23rd 2008 7:29 pm
Agreed with wicked.. my wife gives me crap when i listen to allman bros on the road.. kinda kills the mood i get with the cruise. gonna have to get a partition for the van.. the family can ride back there.. ;)
Posted By: Vanmanic Re: Music for long drives in your van - October 23rd 2008 9:08 pm
lol I'm still using cassettes. I record my discs to my 'puter and then to the cassettes. Saves my discs, I can toss the tapes around and not have to wory about it being scratched up or fight dirty lazers. Yea yea, I know....

Music wise depends on the time of day, if I'm crossing the state or crossing town.

My highway mixes tend to be the less commercially played longer versions of cuts off of albums like Achellies Last Stand, sometimes Thick As A Brick, if I'm crisp and it's 3AM on the road something like Echos from Meddle or most Floyd works well, especially Dark Side of the Moon.
Robin Trower is very nice in most instances and I tend to listen to a lot of Rush, except their latest stuff. The attempted return to their roots so to say didn't sit well with me I much preffered their something new and evolving with each album.
Physical Graffiti is a favorite, The Who, some Daltry after the split, hell, Plant did pretty good after Zep split as well. Page, not so much.
Maiden, Dio, Scorps, Sabbath, Bad Co., pretty much any Purple, especially with Tony Iommi.
Zappa works in some scenerios free of kids, Doobie's Captian and Me is premium, Dire Straits,(It Never Rains is a favorite), Emerson Lake And Palmer, Days Of The New, (Meeks kicks arse), even old Mowtown when I be feelin' funky. Aretha, James Brown, Supremes, mostly like 60's and 70's there. Al Green. Oh hell, can't forget Ray Charles and B.B King.
Pretty diverse but I can't/don't do Country and I don't do gangsta rap, though old school like Beastie Boys is Ok.

Oh yea, Allman Brothers are always welcome.

It may be sacrelage, but I have had all of Free Bird I ever want. Commercial stuff wears thin on me.

Around town or working, AM radio usually. Political junkie and all that rot. lol
Posted By: MoeThirteen Re: Music for long drives in your van - October 23rd 2008 10:36 pm
HIM
Mastodon
Down
Clutch
and Probot.
Posted By: fired up 65 Re: Music for long drives in your van - October 24th 2008 12:25 am
the who,the stones, doors,clutch, hellyeah,longsongs are good on long trips
Posted By: on the road Re: Music for long drives in your van - October 24th 2008 1:10 am
I am a chronic button pusher...my 93 van has a 12 cd changer, Sirius and XM, and a disc player in dash. I have remotes for both sat radios, and am always scanning for a better choice than what's on. 80s hair metal gets me cruisin to the truckin, Classic Rock, oldies, occasional country fills the gaps. During the week in the work van, AM news/talk, but I have both sat radios in there too for sports and racing when the mood strikes. Live music??? Classic arena rock- Journey, Styx, Boston, Kansas, and the heavier stuff-Dio, Warrant, Poison, Dokken, etc. You can even throw in Stryper on Sunday mornings!
Posted By: Rich Re: Music for long drives in your van - October 24th 2008 1:20 am
i either listen to sirius (hardattack) or i use my mp3 jump drive. i have 2300 mp3's loaded on it. anything from nickelback to napalm death, slayer, metalica, and so on
Posted By: Kermit Re: Music for long drives in your van - October 24th 2008 1:37 am
I'm the oddball here, although I love to hear all the tunes and groups previously mentioned, my favorite thing to listen to on long trips if I'm alone isn't music at all, it's books on tape or cd, (or old radio dramas). Somehow they keep me awake better than listening to music I've heard a thousand times before.

Someone from Australia should chime in, I hear they got a highway that's a real killer for truckers, due to long straight and boring, wonder what music they listen to?
Posted By: Snotty Re: Music for long drives in your van - October 24th 2008 1:42 am
Eagles! Little Feet! Billy Joel! Bare Naked Ladies! Heart! SuperTramp! Poison! Led Zepplin! just a few I jam too...
Posted By: mugsy Re: Music for long drives in your van - October 24th 2008 2:25 am
gotta have my ipod....all kinds of different music, mostly old country...like to listen to willie's place on xm when i'm in the big truck
Posted By: weird Harold Re: Music for long drives in your van - October 24th 2008 2:41 am
i did 23 hrs.of kraftwerk autobon driveing from the Evergreen van fair in 1976 washington to california all in one shot. the tape was stuck in my deck and there was no way to shut the thing off lol. as for every day Pink Floyd Earth wind and Fire War any thing Funky lol..
Posted By: Starlord Re: Music for long drives in your van - October 24th 2008 3:32 am
Some of you may balk at this, but I multitask very well, I can read a book and watch TV at the same time and tell you what's going on with either one. So, any way, point is that I learned a long time ago that if I pop a movie in, I don't get quite as fried on the trip, catching up on recorded mini series is a good thing on a long trip, even if it was on a 5" TV (now a 7" LCD). (Note here, movies with breasts on curvy back roads are not a good choice). When I'm not doing that and listening to music, I have two 12 disc changers, a six disc built into the radio, and a Omni Fi 20 gig hard drive system to provide the tunes, mostly classic rock, I could probably drive around the world without ever hearing the same song twice.
Posted By: Dodges 3 Re: Music for long drives in your van - October 24th 2008 3:57 am
Fog Hat, BTO, Guess Who, Dio, Iron Maiden, Ted Nugent, Cream, Motley Crue, Metallica, AC/DC, old Van Halen, and the list goes on.
Posted By: Wicked Re: Music for long drives in your van - October 24th 2008 12:32 pm
I've gotta throw some Tool out there. Haven't seen it yet. There albums all run together Pink Floyd style. It's a musical journey. van
Posted By: swimmster Re: Music for long drives in your van - October 24th 2008 1:18 pm
I will have to give the Tool a listen.. i love those albums that are musical journeys.. I have some old Genesis that makes long trips real short. Tried to explain it to the wife.. she doesn't get it.. She likes the Godsmack and other various metal/alt. rock.. MOST of what she listens to is worn out in two weeks on the radio and i can't stand it.

I like music you can just get lost in.. sounds that can change the whole feeling of the drive. Genesis 'In the Air Tonight' makes me want to be in an ALL black big late 60's pontiac.. decked out like Road Warrior, haulin ass down a long dark highway at night.. on a mission.. Or Pearl Jam's 'Black'.. i like that on a rainy day drive. Stuff like Dream Weaver and Supertramp, makes me think of all the pretty red lights ahead of me and the white lights comin at me on the highway..
Posted By: Wicked Re: Music for long drives in your van - October 24th 2008 1:42 pm
I recommend Aenima. Their third album. Might be a good common ground for you and your wife.
Posted By: Suzie-BGfNY-IN Re: Music for long drives in your van - October 24th 2008 2:53 pm
I like to listen to the Blues--Keb Mo, Taj Mahal, Albert Collins, or some old favs that aren't radio favs like Uriah Heap, Dire Straits, Roxy Music, Todd Rundgren (yes, Todd who? has a last name!) Todd Snider is a real favorite and what eastern Vanner doesn't remember Ernie Williams!
Probably the newest one for driving is the Killers--
--it's good to have you with us, even if it's just for a day!--reminds of being with everyone at an eVANt!

I learned a while back that some things are just not safe for me to listen to as I am driving--like Scorpions or Meatloaf--Paradise just makes my accelarator foot get really, really heavy!! Same thing with Coast to Coast!

No rap!

Suzie

Posted By: BvrWally Re: Music for long drives in your van - October 24th 2008 3:02 pm
Buddy Guy!!! lol smile
B.W.
Posted By: sasktrini Re: Music for long drives in your van - October 24th 2008 3:17 pm
Yup...lovin' the Chicago-style Blues! Buddy guy is great, but...

I've gotta say Bob Marley is perfect for that laid-back easy-rollin' vibe!

Originally Posted by BvrWally
Buddy Guy!!! lol smile
B.W.

Posted By: Wicked Re: Music for long drives in your van - October 24th 2008 3:38 pm
I can definately get into Marley. The sunnier the better.
Posted By: swimmster Re: Music for long drives in your van - October 24th 2008 4:21 pm
i gotta be on a big ole wooden Catalina cruiser headin for the bahamas to get into Marley.. hehe
Posted By: vanticipation Re: Music for long drives in your van - October 24th 2008 4:35 pm
all ROCK...and nothing but the ROCK...and I mean real rock.....that does not include poisen,warrent,white lion,great white,or winger.....no country,but at least they play musical instruments....and no way,no how,would I even say crap is music,whoops I mean rap.... rap is for people with no taste,no life and no talent...no DISCO!! I know they call it dance music,but it is still disco and DISCO SUCKS....punk is just bad rock by bad bands....new wave can kiss my ass....OK lets get on with it...RUSH,JUDAS PRIEST,IRON MAIDEN,BLACK SABBATH,PINK FLOYD,LED ZEPPLIN,AC/DC,TOOL,ALICE IN CHAINS,DISTURBED,TED NUGENT,WHITE ZOMBIE,VAN HALEN(and not van hagar),METTALICA(not the new crap),RAMMSTEIN,....ALSO GOOD CLASSIC ROCK IS A ACCEPTABLE FORM.... devil
Posted By: kevin nh Re: Music for long drives in your van - October 24th 2008 6:37 pm
all ya need is some IRON MAIDEN........anything else is just good enough.......

And I agree with the whole "Greatwhitelionsnake" comment!

Posted By: Capn Scurvy Re: Music for long drives in your van - October 25th 2008 12:12 am
Oddly enough if I am with the family I tend to not have the radio on at all, cuz I like to talk to them, and I hate shouting over the radio.

If I am alone however I listen to a whole slew of things. I grew up on classic rock, and I still listen to it, but I am pretty burnt out on it. But when I do crank the tunes, it's usually whatever I am in the mood for. I never know.
Posted By: yankeedan Re: Music for long drives in your van - October 25th 2008 2:27 am
Doors for me! Steppenwolf, Neil Young, Springsteen and my favorite bar band "Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes".

Except when my wife gets in, then its Yanni, John Tesh and the sound of Yankeedan .....vomiting. LOL
Posted By: vince Re: Music for long drives in your van - October 25th 2008 3:01 am
Lets see I have (currently) 5,792 songs - 255 podcasts - 51 music vidieos - and 4 movies (3:10 to Yuma, the Unforgiven, Pale rider, and Tremors 1 ). Also 11 audio books, and 700+ pictures on my ipod.

Amongst driving playlists I have "Driving Tunes 1-7"

A small smattering of songs I like to listen to on a long trip would be.

Raisinhill
Tea Leaf Green
Government Mule
Moe
Humble Pie
Buddy Miles Express
UFO
The Almond Brothers
Mountain
Neil Young
Pat Travers
Thin Lizzy
Stevie Ray Vaughan
The Outlaws
The Band
Molly Hatchet
Rainbow
Poco
The Eagles
Pantera
Head East
Firefall
Zep
CSN
Deep Purple
Ambrosia
Wasp
Prince
Rush
CCR
The Benjy Davis Project (Awesome Band)
3 Dog Night
The Who
The Verve Pipe
Police
The Grass Roots

And about 5000+ other Country, Jazz, Rap, Disco, 70's, 80's, Hair bands, R&B, Lots of classical and new age. Tons of Native American music, Instramental, Hard Hard rock, Thrash, lots of Punk, Goth, Funk and Funky-as# funk (lol) Freestyle, And dont get me started on Neil Diamond, The Bee-Gees, B-52S, SR-71.. oh man the list just goes on and on and on...

I love SOME of all music all kinds all generes.

Rock on

Vince in So. $ Cal.
Posted By: newkirkinc1 Re: Music for long drives in your van - October 25th 2008 10:16 am
OZZY for me.
Posted By: hotrod AL Re: Music for long drives in your van - October 25th 2008 10:30 am
Creedence Clearwater Revival Chronicle Volume 1. I can listen to that album over and over.
Posted By: Wicked Re: Music for long drives in your van - October 25th 2008 11:07 am
I like some Iron & Wine or The Road Virus when I feel like takin' it slow. Neil Young always finds a way in too.
Posted By: vanticipation Re: Music for long drives in your van - October 27th 2008 6:29 am
[Linked Image]OZZY
Posted By: Uncle_Fester Re: Music for long drives in your van - October 28th 2008 6:23 pm
Sirius Radio:

Hair Nation Channel 23
The Vault Channel 16

XMRadio :

Bone Yard Channel 41
Deep Tracks Channel 40
AC/DC Radio Channel 53

Posted By: Suzie-BGfNY-IN Re: Music for long drives in your van - June 06th 2009 10:01 pm
Just thought this might help with some tune ideas--so I brought it back up!

Suzie
Posted By: matchstickBGV Re: Music for long drives in your van - June 06th 2009 10:40 pm
Originally Posted by Wicked
I like some Iron & Wine or The Road Virus when I feel like takin' it slow. Neil Young always finds a way in too.

I could see " the creek drank the cradle" and "Harvest" going together back to back really well.
Posted By: Phoenix Re: Music for long drives in your van - June 06th 2009 11:00 pm
You know, you have to hear me out on this, To really get the most out of the music you listen to while you are driving, Really depends on where you are at the time. Have you ever driven down Highway 101 , the coastline highway of California from Pismo Beach to San Diego. Well let me fill you in . No matter how old you are or young, Crank up the Beach Boys, YES,Best of the Beach Boys... Something magic happens. I am NOT kidding. NOW when you are in the mountains, The Appalachans OR the REAL mountains, the Rocky's, Ted Nugent live cd Disc two with Great White Buffalo and Hibernation...WOW,....goosebumps, to think of it. and down the road driving the Phoenix loud MOUNTAIN is great. Deep Purple, Made in Japan is awesome. Uriah Heep is great, also. There is so much hard drivin' music for us old farts, You younmg guys need to listen up and have another look.
Posted By: Gloworm_Dee_Jaye Re: Music for long drives in your van - June 07th 2009 12:00 am
I was driving from Va. to Oh. by myself last year listening to Jimmy Buffet - good sounds - Breathe In Breathe Out Move On
Posted By: vince Re: Music for long drives in your van - June 07th 2009 12:32 am
Holy Carp... how many of these threads are there?
Posted By: Phoenix Re: Music for long drives in your van - June 07th 2009 12:53 am
Holy CARP ???lol
Posted By: Capn Scurvy Re: Music for long drives in your van - June 07th 2009 11:18 am
Dude, the Appilachians are real mountains.
Posted By: Snotty Re: Music for long drives in your van - June 07th 2009 11:32 am
yup the nats this year are only 5 mins from the ATrail!
Posted By: ramblar Re: Music for long drives in your van - June 07th 2009 3:14 pm
One of the weirdest times I've had was when I was a young man, 30 plus years ago. I was stoned and driving by Buckeye Steel and Castings in Columbus. Stories of grisly deaths in the place was in the back of my mind. Then out of the radio comes Pink Floyd's "Welcome To The Machine" I couldn't wait to get past that place!
Posted By: Kimonoskunk Re: Music for long drives in your van - June 10th 2009 1:07 am
Ya know I had to reply to this... since I played Bass in the 80s and 90s, just by myself.

http://www.youtube.com/user/KimonoSkunk

And go to favorites, and just scroll down some of the songs that might be rattling in my mind at the moment.
Now I loved the 80s and there were some one hit wonders that I liked, that were electronica and kinda punkish.... but not 'too' out there.
Songs like: Politics of Dancing by Reflex, Feel the Heat, by Jean Beauvoir off the Cobra soundtrack, (and the instrumental song after that one) Robert Plant's Solo stuffs, like Ship of Fools & Little by Little. (Tho sad to say im not a Led Zepplin fan, it's just they were played to death here). An odd one like Neil Young's Sample and Hold, one of his heavy on the vocaliod guitar synths. Red Slies by the Fixx. And of course, Van Hagar, Rush, Styx, Chicago 18,

Now after you looked through my Favs lists in my Youtube... (wanna see how I can save those clips to my lappytop ^^)
Wanna hear what my fav cd's are? Well in no paticular order are
1.) Pink Floyd Delicate Sound of Thunder, (Me and Bunny ALWAYS listened to Learning to fly, when we go driving somewhere long)
2.) Peter Gabriel Secret World Tour, 'Steam' .... LOVE his voice and Tony Levin jammin on the bass.

(Now you will laugh at me for this, but theres a reason why...)

3.) Garth Brooks - Chris Ganes Story. His first <?> rock album that he was in making a movie project for , but never got out of the planning stages with. He played this concert on NBC in 1999 live to promote his ideas, with a band made up from the old members of a Christian band called White Heart, whom I seen 3 times in concert. NOTE: If ANYONE has a recording of that NBC concert, I will PAY TOP $$ for it. As the band plays harder on stage than on the album, especially Tommy Sims on Bass and Gordon Kennedy on guitars. (I wore out 2 cd's with the songs on here. Sad aint it?)
4.) Planet P Project, self titled album with Tony Carey singing. This is a darker early 80's album with the fears of Russia nukeing everything in site. The album does flow in a story, you just need to shuffle the songs a bit to get it right. And on the heels of this one is ...
5.) Planet P Project, Pink World: Slightly different premise as the whole double album is aboot a young boy called Artemus that cannot talk, but he has the power to save the world or end it with his thoughts.
6.) Bubble Gum Crisis soundtrack. A self made album from my anime days and when I am drawing. These songs are from an anime series where a group of 4 ladies take on a huge corporation in the future, as vigilantes. And the lead girl in the anime is the lead singer of the rock band that is on the anime. The artist of the anime seen Blade Runner the film, and produced a series from that.
7.) Alan parsons Project - The Instrumental works

Now if I wanna listen to some real driving songs, listen to 1.)Lily was Here, by Candi Duffer and Dave Stewart.
2.)One More, and Colors of the Spirit, by Journey. (Wanna try to do my own animation song video for it... ^^)
3.)Home by the Sea (long Version) NUFF Said.... !!
4.)I Don't Believe in Love - Queensryche
5.)Dance with a Stranger - Yanni Tribute DVD version. (INCREDIBLE Horn and pianos in this...)
6.)Night Train - Steve Winwood

I could go on for hours, but I might just halt the post here....

^^

Kimmyskunk
Posted By: 67Econo Guy Re: Music for long drives in your van - June 10th 2009 1:31 am
my new best friend is xm46
Posted By: Redman Re: Music for long drives in your van - June 10th 2009 5:18 am
I guess that would have to depend on whether I was going to or coming from a truck-in or hall party. Going to a bash, I'd have to say rowdy rock-n-roll, metal or hard rock. Coming home, however, I'd have to go with a mellower group of selections to keep my hangover from trying to climb out the window! Classic rock, usually. Tull, Kansas, etc.
Posted By: BudVanBeer1 Re: Music for long drives in your van - June 10th 2009 6:10 am
Nice to hear I'm not the only KANSAS fan here. Hey, Kimmyskunk, I remember Planet P, wasn't that Alan Parsons?
Posted By: Kimonoskunk Re: Music for long drives in your van - June 10th 2009 11:06 am
Originally Posted by BudVanBeer1
Nice to hear I'm not the only KANSAS fan here. Hey, Kimmyskunk, I remember Planet P, wasn't that Alan Parsons?

Actually no, that was a German band in the 80's. (Going to Wiki for the info on Planet P for ya.. ^^)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planet_P_Project
Planet P Project
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

Planet P Project is a science-fiction themed progressive rock band run as a side venture by frontman Tony Carey for his more experimental music. Its three albums, Planet P, Pink World, and Go Out Dancing, Part I (1931) were released in 1983, 1984, and 2005, respectively, and the first two saw a fair amount of MTV video airplay. Pink World was originally a two-record set released on bright pink vinyl. Planet P's most well known singles were "Why Me?", a sweeping, energetic romp about outer space and isolation, and the downbeat "Static." "Go Out Dancing, Part I (1931)" is the first of a planned trilogy, with part two titled "Go Out Dancing, Part II (Levittown)" (May 2008) and "Go Out Dancing, Part III (Out in the Rain)" (to be announced).
Music videos were made for "Why Me?" and "Static" (Planet P Project) as well as "What I See/Behind the Barrier" (Pink World). As of 21 April 2008 there have been no videos made for songs from the new albums. Incidentally the band's name was inspired from the fictional "Planet P" in Robert Heinlein's book Starship Troopers.

Now you might remember 'Why Me', Video shown an attractive blonde with a 60s hairdo driving in the rain on her way home from a rocket launch of her husband or boyfriend, the astronaut. She has a series of halucinations and then is overcome by smoke at the end of the video, where the astronaut helmet explodes.
I am only sadly familiar with the first 2 albums, and might look into the newer ones, its just the first 2 were harder and a bit darker sounding. Not sure if the newer ones were as rockish as the first ones. All I have to do is find a literal Pink World pink LP, and I will be a VERY Happy skunk.

Kimmyskunk

Posted By: vince Re: Music for long drives in your van - June 10th 2009 4:29 pm
Ah yea Tony Carey.. and planet P .. heh I remember that deal.. lol Man Tony Carey is an awesome musician... plays lots of different instruments. I think he played with rainbow (Ritchie Blackmore) or maybe he still is. not sure. I do have Planet P Project on my Ipod. cool band.

Rock on
Posted By: ramblar Re: Music for long drives in your van - June 12th 2009 2:34 pm
Originally Posted by vince
Ah yea Tony Carey.. and planet P .. heh I remember that deal.. lol Man Tony Carey is an awesome musician... plays lots of different instruments. I think he played with rainbow (Ritchie Blackmore) or maybe he still is. not sure. I do have Planet P Project on my Ipod. cool band.

Rock on

Didn't Tony Carey also have a big hit with a song titled "A Fine, Fine, Day (For a Reunion)?
Posted By: RhoeJaqueSwiftt Re: Music for long drives in your van - June 12th 2009 3:00 pm
BIGASSTRUCK
STEELY DAN
LES BEATLES
and Comedy stations on Sirius Radio
Posted By: Mike_Desert Re: Music for long drives in your van - April 30th 2010 10:56 pm
I just joined today, am picking up my "new" '83 G20 tomorrow and made myself a "Van Tunes" comp at work. You can download it off my blog if you want!

http://blogthejerk.blogspot.com/2010/04/rolling-rooms-blog-jerk-comp.html

Posted By: wrcsixeight Re: Music for long drives in your van - May 04th 2010 4:27 pm
Originally Posted by Suzie-BGfNY-IN
Just thought this might help with some tune ideas--so I brought it back up!
Suzie

I like all music, but Hip Hop. I grew up with classic Rock, and face melting guitar solos and driving beats are what I need.
While there is certainly a good amount of music available, some of my favorite stuff, like Jimi Hendrix, and the Allmans, I'm bored of.
I've been trading some music with neighbors, and one of them Gave me a super obscure album from early '70's Africa. Zambia in Fact.

Upon my first listen, I was like "Holy effing poop!!, how did this gem go unknown for so long!!" That was over a year ago and it sent me on a sucessful quest for more music from Africa.
Thank You U tube, and mediafire and Shadoks records for preserving this.

Here is a Sampling of Some of the Best music you have never heard. Computer speakers cannot do justice to these recordings. If you like Guitar, it will have seratonin and norepenephrin seeping through the pores of your skull.

Share it only with the worthy!!

U tube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94Hw2kZmzN0&feature=related
Check out the related links as well.

If you are as passionate about some other obscure group, please share it.

Posted By: Superbeast Re: Music for long drives in your van - May 04th 2010 7:23 pm
I listen to the voices in my head grin
Posted By: Galaxy Re: Music for long drives in your van - May 04th 2010 7:31 pm
Originally Posted by Superbeast
I listen to the voices in my head grin

Their not in your head...they are in the back of the van!
Posted By: ScarletteWidowDodge Re: Music for long drives in your van - May 04th 2010 7:41 pm
hmm, I can drive for hours with no music, just listening to the throaty roar of the ehaust and the hum of the tires on the pavement. Im not a techy so no sat radio or CD changers. When I do feel the need and the oldies station fades out I just search for the next one. As long as it isnt rap or new stuff, Im good with it. Usually its the kids or wife that complain.
Posted By: hotrod AL Re: Music for long drives in your van - May 04th 2010 8:21 pm
I just picked up a live 2cd set of Stray Cats-Rumble in Brixton awhile back that I'm gonna listen to on the way to Springback and I have some Quiet Riot for the trip home.
Posted By: maples01 Re: Music for long drives in your van - May 04th 2010 8:27 pm
I can't listen to certain music (metal) without driving like I'm in the Transporter or Crank, same thing with no radio, my exhaust had ruined my mileage, as I really like to hear it.
Posted By: Rev_Don Re: Music for long drives in your van - May 04th 2010 9:49 pm
I'm a truck driver by trade, so I listen to a lot of old- school country music. Hank Williams, Merle Haggard, Willie and Waylon, you get the picture. All of the stuff that's required by federal law for truckers. I can listen to The Beatles all day, but I also love bands like Motorhead, Black Sabbath, and Pantera. I know, it's pretty eclectic, but the new music today is just horrible. When I'm driving for work, I usually listen to Howard Stern or Bubba the Love Sponge on Sirius. FTE, baby!
Posted By: YouCanDoItInAChevy Re: Music for long drives in your van - May 04th 2010 10:55 pm
well lets see here the van hasent been on the road for awhile but no matter what im cruising in the tunes are the same for me.

ccr
AB
uncle ted
bachman turner overdrive
foreigner
the who
led zepp
bob seger
queen
AC/DC
ozzy
hank senior
hank junior
merle haggard
boxcar willie
johnny cash
aerosmith
bruce springsteen
skynrd
little feet
blackfoot
dio
motorhead
38 special
doobie brothers
marshall tucker
molly hatchet
zz top
the outlaws
wet willie

just a little taste of my collection
Posted By: Eddie G Re: Music for long drives in your van - May 04th 2010 11:08 pm
Steely Dan
Supertramp
Chicago
The Animals
On,On and on!!!

Posted By: Phoenix Re: Music for long drives in your van - May 04th 2010 11:13 pm
Uriah Heep, Deep Purple Made In Japan, Ted Live Hibernation and Great White buffalo side, skip GONZO...YUK. I did not like ted going gonzo.
Posted By: CatFish Re: Music for long drives in your van - May 05th 2010 2:40 pm
We have a stereo and an Mp3 with a lot of good stuff in it but 98% of the time Penny and I just talk to each other. It's easier in the GMC but in the Ford, with the exhaust and the low gearing, you really have to speak up!
Posted By: Mothertrucker Re: Music for long drives in your van - May 05th 2010 2:44 pm
classic rock...obscure early proto/blues metal or pscychedelic...anything by Fu Manchu...early country /trucker music or bluegrass...so much great music in the world and finding new stuff all the time.
Posted By: NateB Re: Music for long drives in your van - May 05th 2010 3:28 pm
Black Sabbath
Ozzy
Judas Priest
Iron Maiden
Any 80's metal really.

Slayer
Sacred Reich
Motorhead
Any thrash/death metal

I also like Andrea Bocelli and have been know to turn on some classical musical such as Bach, Haydn, etc.
Posted By: Capn Scurvy Re: Music for long drives in your van - May 06th 2010 12:10 am
I'm with Catfish. We talk more often than not in the van, and as a matter of fact I don't think the stereo even went on on the way to the last evant. GSVR it was. That's Maine to NC. No tunes.

by myself is a different story. I dig all manner of tunes, but lately I have been listening to a lot of stuff like Doug Sahm, Tom T. Hall, an obscure country/rock band named Cherokee (who's album has REALLY grown on me for some reason) Flying Burrito Bros, and a dude worth checking out named Jim Mize who has a GREAT album called "Release it to the Sky". One song called 'Disappear in America' has the line "I-40 bound in a multi-colored van" which I just think is really cool.

http://www.amazon.com/Release-It-to...p;s=dmusic&qid=1273104563&sr=8-2
Posted By: Superbeast Re: Music for long drives in your van - May 06th 2010 4:51 pm
My oldest daughter asked me to turn on the tunes the other day in Superbeast. I told her the stereo had not worked in about 3 years. They are usually watching TV when we travel to and from runs. She looked at me and said 'REALLY - I was wondering why the clock wasn't on" lol
Posted By: wrcsixeight Re: Music for long drives in your van - May 06th 2010 4:52 pm
To whomever on this thread recommended Leafhound, many sincere Thank yous.

Thank you! thank you! thank you!

U tube has quite a selection of their stuff.
Leaf Hound---- Stray---------growers of mushrooms
Posted By: BowTie89 Re: Music for long drives in your van - May 06th 2010 6:23 pm
I removed the factory cassette deck 2 yrs. ago and focused more on the sound of the engine & exhaust. This would entertain me from point A to B. However, I will be using a laptop to control much of my A/V needs. Being that I enjoy the sound of all music, providing it's mixed & mastered correctly, I'm pondering installing mid-range studio reference monitors. This way, even the songs you would never listen to, you'll find you enjoy.
Posted By: Bandvan Re: Music for long drives in your van - May 07th 2010 3:56 am
Clutch, Down, Corrosion of Conformity, Pantera, Crowbar, Fu Manchu, repeat

I listen to heavier but find sometimes its too much while trying to concentrate on directions, passengers or road conditions.
Posted By: Wedgy Re: Music for long drives in your van - April 18th 2020 5:02 pm

Men at Works Colin Hays is still around.
Last year in Redondo Beach.

OverKill, Livin in a Land Down Under, Johnny be Good. starts @22:00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fW_by5EK_Ps

Simple Acoustic Overkill tutorial. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWbjnuWU4iQ
Posted By: Wedgy Re: Music for long drives in your van - April 18th 2020 5:23 pm
Some Garbage from KROQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7HP_Zl_NmA
Posted By: JDouglas Re: Music for long drives in your van - August 11th 2020 4:34 pm
Lots of Doobie Brothers, Eagles, Elton, Manilow, Oak Ridge Boys. Usual trip is 10 hours. All on USB drive.
Posted By: SDMickey Re: Music for long drives in your van - August 12th 2020 11:35 am
I love music; of course growing up in the 60's & 70's: The Stones, Hendrix. Cream, The Kinks, Humble Pie, Uriah Heep, Deep Purple, The Beatles etc. ( I could type forever ) smile
Posted By: glenna Re: Music for long drives in your van - August 12th 2020 8:08 pm
Kingfish
Posted By: newkirkinc1 Re: Music for long drives in your van - August 13th 2020 7:19 pm
Iron Maiden and Ozzy!
Posted By: NateB Re: Music for long drives in your van - August 14th 2020 9:24 am
Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Ozzy, Judas Priest, Nightwish, etc, etc.
Posted By: CatFish Re: Music for long drives in your van - August 14th 2020 12:41 pm
I removed the stereo in the GMC a few years back. We never used it and we had rather talk about the things we see as we ride. I made a little cubby hole type storage spot where the radio used to be.
In the Chevy we have the factory AM/FM w/cassette and it makes a great clock. grin
Posted By: NateB Re: Music for long drives in your van - August 14th 2020 4:27 pm
Originally Posted by CatFish
I removed the stereo in the GMC a few years back. We never used it and we had rather talk about the things we see as we ride. I made a little cubby hole type storage spot where the radio used to be.
In the Chevy we have the factory AM/FM w/cassette and it makes a great clock. grin

For the first 2 years I owned my G20 it didn't have a radio so I got used to the soothing drone of the Flowmaster muffler. Recently I finally put a CD player in so now I'll have some tunes. lol
Posted By: Meanmachine Re: Music for long drives in your van - August 14th 2020 8:54 pm
I had 1965 Chevy panel van back in 1974, no radio. Used to have a big battery operated AM/FM radio taped to the engine cover between the seats. The Good Old Days of roughing it. There was a station out of Chicago (WCFL) at the time that played good rock music that I could pick up here in the mountains of PA.
Posted By: glenna Re: Music for long drives in your van - August 15th 2020 1:04 am
Usually I listen to the blues on sattelite. There's so much out there now. Enjoy whatever you dig!!!
© Vannin' Community and Forums