Featured Links

Thread Like Summary
Nessie
Original Post (Thread Starter)
B250 rear lift options? Helpers or bags? #782105 09/12/2021 7:49 PM
by Nessie
Nessie
Hi all,

I have a late 80s B250 conversion van that's sagging in the back even with new 2500lb springs. I've been researching options and thinking either Hellwig helpers or Airbags to give me a 2" lift.

Wondering pros and cons for both. I live in northern Canada and will be taking the van down rough logging roads sometimes. Are airbags ok in these situations?

If I go the airbag option, do the rear brake lines have to be moved? They look to be right where the bags would mount to the axle but I'm not sure. Other than that they look easy to install.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thank you
Liked Replies
Re: B250 rear lift options? Helpers or bags? #782117 Sep 13th a 01:06 AM
by wrcsixeight
wrcsixeight
I do not recall having to move the brakelines, even when I swapped from the original 8 3/8 axle, to a junkyard 9.25, and then had that Axle professionally re-bearinged.

My firestone ride rites have been insstalled since October 2007, they saw several hundred miles of Baja Washboard shortly afterwards, but that was also my last trip to Baja.

More recently they saw the Titus Canyon trail in Death Valley. There is about 10 miles of heavy washboard in the beginning of that one way route.

Mine do not noticeably lose pressure, not even after 13 years.

I have ZERO regrets with these airbags.

But New leafs springs designed for the intended load, within the GVWR of the vehicle, are ideal.
Airbags are not.

Rear passengers might think them too firm and bouncy. Rarely a factor for me, and screw those that complain anyway.

Your Van sagging with new rear leafs, perhaps indicates you have too much weight, and if so, that makes the brake performance a top safety consideration.
1 member likes this
Re: B250 rear lift options? Helpers or bags? #782175 Sep 14th a 08:03 PM
by RichardB
RichardB
I did Hellwig air bags on my 91 B250 back in 2018, orginally had them with load helper shocks. The load helper shocks are gone now, too stiff even at minimum inflation on the bags.
The adjustability of the bags is the biggest selling point. I can pump them up when towing or carrying heavy stuff. Deflate the rest of the time. It was a tight fit to the brake lines and I did have to reroute the exhaust a little bit, but not the brake lines.

- Rich
1 member likes this
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
1 members (MufflerMan Mike), 13 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TheDrunkenGunsmith, Jac, LOVclassics, ZenMuffin, Milkman530
12724 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
SDMickey 130
CatFish 28
frscke1 28
Wedgy 21
Forum Statistics
Forums68
Topics35,747