Dyno_Dave, frscke1, txmnjim
Original Post (Thread Starter)
Vanessa, 2005 GMC Safari RWD. #774702 04/16/2021 9:21 PM
by SafariTim
SafariTim
This is my 2005 GMC Safari.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
It's been 3 years now that I have had this van. So far i have done the front end, new heads, new seals and gaskets in the intake plenum, and basic maintenance.
[Linked Image]
Got the door pins installed the other day. I need to get to the store and get a hole saw and change out the door handles. I have have been focusing on the biggest problems first. The next biggest headache I have with the van is the sliding door. I swear I'm the only person that can open and close it. I want to have the door gullwinged in the next 2 weeks.I have the struts, just waiting to talk to the welder about the hinges. I only want to do this once. I may (90% sure I will) add a power lift for the door. Once the door is gullwinged I can add the 1/4 spacers to the rear. The spacers are needed in the front to clearance the calipers. But the rear tires with spacers hit the sliding door.
[Linked Image]
Then I'm going to start on the front of the van. The front bumper is looking ruff and rubs the tires when turning tight. Trim the ends and a quick DIY paint touch up. Modify the grill
[Linked Image]
I'd paint it black.
[Linked Image]
1968 GMC grill emblem. I'm also going to switch the headlights. Think it gives it an older look.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I will post more as I get it done. Sunday I will be getting a few odds and ins done. Thanks again guys!
Liked Replies
Re: Vanessa, 2005 GMC Safari RWD. #776648 May 24th a 06:39 PM
by SafariTim
SafariTim
The gulwing slider is on hold, but will happen. We just paid our house off, so "Honey do's!" Have gained an exclamation mark. I'm still clipping away at the radio. Made this bracket to get it centered in the hole.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
It was harder then I was thinking, getting the screen center and flush. It's not done yet. Still have some adjustments and to finish the trim piece. I will wrap it in vinyl later. But I'm very happy with it so far. I have not taken pictures yet but the A/C controls have been a lot easier. Going to be cutting out the cup holders, drinks never sit right anyway. Just goin to make it into a deep tray. The rear A/C isn't working at the moment and I have never used the rear wiper so I will be leaving them out for now. Will keep you guys posted.
1 member likes this
Re: Vanessa, 2005 GMC Safari RWD. #775949 May 11th a 09:20 PM
by SafariTim
SafariTim
Just got this beast home! 18' wheels, 7 inch lift, rear air bags, custom roof rack, headers, 3 inch exhaust, too much to list! This thing is awesome! Introducing "The Disastro!"
[Linked Image]
1 member likes this
Re: Vanessa, 2005 GMC Safari RWD. #776835 May 28th a 10:02 PM
by SafariTim
SafariTim
[Linked Image]
Lol, got to keep updated. I'm going to be installing a starter button by the steering column on the same piece of trim. After that is done I will wrap the piece in black vinyl. The whole interior will be black with red accents.
[Linked Image]
Still working on the a/c controls. Just finish work now really. I did not have to cut anything going to the a/c controls, wires and hoses were long enough for me. Thanks for all the positive comments. Loving this site!
1 member likes this
Re: Vanessa, 2005 GMC Safari RWD. #777224 Jun 7th a 08:07 PM
by Customatic1969
Customatic1969
find it hilarious that you have got web browser running in your head unit, that's new technology can do, i'm just happy if i can hear some good tunes on some good old tapes
1 member likes this
Re: Vanessa, 2005 GMC Safari RWD. #785498 Nov 22nd a 09:08 PM
by SafariTim
SafariTim
A sad day for sure. She is getting new bearings and seals in the rear end now. A going away gift you could say. My retirement plan is to do alot of traveling. I was setting Vanessa up for the ride. Wanting to pull a nice camper trailer. Vanessa is awesome and needed alot of upgrades to fit my needs. While detailing a RV last week the customer said they were selling thier old van. I had been eyeing it all morning. 1998 Chevrolet Express 2500 8 passenger. I couldn't pass it up.
[Linked Image]
1 member likes this
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 12 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TheDrunkenGunsmith, Jac, LOVclassics, ZenMuffin, Milkman530
12724 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)