by SDMickey - March 25th 2024 9:39 pm
Featured Links

Thread Like Summary
KogonDodge, Ram4ever
Original Post (Thread Starter)
'88 B250 running problems #768693 12/17/2020 8:20 PM
by KogonDodge
KogonDodge
Hi all, thanks for this awesome site. I have got a real thing for classic vans and love to learn and work on my own 1988 Conversion van 5.2l TBI. I tried to put a picture of the van in my signature and resize it, but that might have gone wrong, I guess I will find out when I post this.

When i bought it, it had been unused for some time. I did a service and replaced plugs, coil, distributor cap. oil, trans fluid, filters. It would surge and stall at idle though from the moment I first started it, very annoying, made it difficult to park for a start. I played with lots of things but what finally did it was when I replaced the throttle body gasket and the O2 sensor. One of those did the job. The gasket was very "welded " on but I couldn't really see how that could cause a bad air leak versus, say a holed vacuum pipe. I checked all the vacuum pipes at the same time, everything seemed fine.

2 yeas later, and this may be unrelated, I am having problems going up hills. No power and overheating. Admittedly I was 5 up, with a lot of load and it was 100 degrees but it got real hot, real quick. I eventually investigated the timing and found it was out, it was about 4 degrees, I changed it to 12. Tried the same hill after and it did get hotter on the gauge, but only by a bit. Generally it feels more peppy and happy.

There was another problem, that occurred during all this and still lingers, is a jerking under load (up hills for example), at freeway speeds. It almost feels like it is changing down. I think it is a misfire under load. After I changed the timing to 12 degrees this went away and it changed through the gears very nicely so I don't think it is anything to do with the transmission. But this problem has come back

However, it is now also doing the unhappy idle thing again, including stalling when I am driving down the road, in drive, but with no gas pedal (downhill). That was pretty worrying. So I am back to trying to figure out what this problem is.

Maybe the gasket/O2 sensor has gone again?
Has 2 years of incorrect timing lunched the plugs?
Something to do with the choke (i am in socal though, so it never gets below 50 degress!)

I've got a new coil and new plugs on their way to try and address the misfire problem.

Any suggestions?
TIA
Liked Replies
Re: '88 B250 running problems #769624 Jan 13th a 06:50 AM
by wrcsixeight
wrcsixeight
My 89 TBI has a throttle rod between throttle body and A-500 overdrive transmission.

On the drivers side of the TB there is a mechanism to let the TX know the degree of throttle input. There is some sliding of this linkage at the throttle body. The throttle pushes the linkage back, and the TX allows it to return as it wants, with some spring assist.

If it does not slide easily, the TX will be confused.

I had this linkage fall off. It would shift quickly into third gear, nearly instantly when accelerating.
No stalling.

At the TX there is a half inch bolt.

When adjusted as the factory or haynes manual stated, I though it shifted way too late and too harshly, as I would drive. It felt fine if I was accelerating hard, everywhere and did not give a flyingFVck about fuel economy. But I dont so I dismissed the factory service manual and the Haynes

I drove around with a 1/2 inch wrench and would stop and adjust it 1/16" increments until it shifted where I wanted it to shift from first to second and second to third.

I have about 80k miles on the rebuilt TX with it adjusted to MY desires, as to where it shifts.

With no Running boards lifting the vehicle is not needed to access this adjustment point.

Ram4ever, I deleted my FB account, so No more messenger either.
1 member likes this
Re: '88 B250 running problems #770311 Jan 28th a 06:27 PM
by wrcsixeight
wrcsixeight
The map.sensor codes.will likely come back the next time it acts up as manifold vaccuum goes haywire.

Id highly recommend opening your computer and matching.the part numbers.
I sent several back and forth by trusting their numbrrs descriptions.

Id.also recommend eating the core.charge and keeping your original.
1 member likes this
Re: '88 B250 running problems #770594 Feb 2nd a 02:56 PM
by Lee7673
Lee7673
Glad you solved it and its now running great
1 member likes this
Re: '88 B250 running problems #770587 Feb 2nd a 01:02 AM
by wrcsixeight
wrcsixeight
devil
cheers

I need to visit that junkyard. I need a new Captain's chair.
1 member likes this
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 17 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TheDrunkenGunsmith, Jac, LOVclassics, ZenMuffin, Milkman530
12724 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
SDMickey 129