by SDMickey - March 25th 2024 9:39 pm
Featured Links

Thread Like Summary
CatFish, DaveT, frscke1, Underdog, Wedgy, Wizzard
Original Post (Thread Starter)
87' G20 - Walter White - "The White Rhino" #765710 09/21/2020 1:26 AM
by DrCaldre
DrCaldre
Hey ya'll, decided to start a readers rides thread. Most of ya'll have probably seen pictures of my van on here already, I'm happy to re-share them here!

Today's mission was to retrofit some screen on my cowl using some gutter guards I got at Home Depot. Got the idea from an older thread on this forum. Turned out real nice I think.

And here's the van in all its glory at the super tasty cheesesteak place in Atlanta, GA.
Liked Replies
Re: 87' G20 - Walter White - "The White Rhino" #800668 Jan 15th a 03:24 PM
by DrCaldre
DrCaldre
Talking rock it was, good call Catfish! Somewhere around 26°F this morning. Almost froze my toes off. I need to replace my heater core.

I'm super happy with how the Raptor liner turned out. I'm pretty sure I've broken a few necks already.
Messed around with a few different settings on the GoPro, got a few decent frames.

[Linked Image from res.cloudinary.com]
4 members like this
Re: 87' G20 - Walter White - "The White Rhino" #793619 Jul 31st a 08:01 PM
by DrCaldre
DrCaldre
Got the rear suspension done! The Addco rear sway looks really nice. Hope that it helps, haven't been on the interstate yet.

Next weekend I'll start tackling the front.
2 members like this
Re: 87' G20 - Walter White - "The White Rhino" #800664 Jan 15th a 02:05 AM
by DrCaldre
DrCaldre
Picked her up last night... looking incredible. I'm headed up to Jasper early tomorrow morning with the GoPro. Going to try and get some proper shots at the golden hour on a gravel road. Stay tuned y'all.
2 members like this
Re: 87' G20 - "Walter White" (need new name) #800710 Jan 18th a 01:36 AM
by DrCaldre
DrCaldre
So I put underglow on yesterday. I went to the Big Chicken tonight and took a pretty killer photo.

2 members like this
Re: 87' G20 - Walter White - "The White Rhino" #802975 Apr 20th a 04:46 AM
by DrCaldre
DrCaldre
Finally got the dash back in tonight! Had a local mechanic do a blower motor, wiper motor, heater core, and hydro boost install. He said all three wiper motor bolts broke putting the new one in. Glad I dodged that bullet.

I put a tachometer and a clock in the spare holes in the dash. New knee panel is awesome, no cracks! Thanks Wedgy.

I also fixed my courtesy lights, basically by accident in the process of putting the dash back in. Headliner is also back in with a classic dome light. Also installed lap belts and got rid of the shoulder harnesses.

I've got the same guy that linered the van painting a spare tire cover Catfish gave me. Should turn out wicked. I asked him to do a small logo of his, to leave room for airbrushing. I'll post pics when I get it.

Van drives mostly okay, but I replaced my throttle position sensor, since it threw intermittent low voltage code. A new ICM and coil should be here tomorrow.

Bout that time to really start thinking about the interior!
2 members like this
Re: 87' G20 - Walter White - "The White Rhino" #778067 Jun 23rd a 04:03 AM
by DrCaldre
DrCaldre
Heyo! The transmission is most likely fine. The guy working on it is fixing up lots of the engine installers mistakes like plug wiring routing, alternator position, cheap intake gasket, bad vaccum line routing, oil cooler line routing, etc. He's gunna get the AC going too, and put on this rosta cruise unit. He's just busy as hell. More cars than he can shake a stick at. He claims end of month, but I'm not holding my breath.

Hope you find someone to work on your van. Yeah, I've definitely experienced the folks who scoff at vans. They are lame folks who I don't want to give money to anyway. The guy I found here in Atlanta is really cool, super smart, just absolutely swamped and slow.
1 member likes this
Re: 87' G20 - Walter White - "The White Rhino" #788603 Feb 21st a 12:12 AM
by DrCaldre
DrCaldre
Found a local hot-rodder parting out a 95' Beauville he pulled the engine and trans out of. I got my sheet metal! Absolutely 0 rust. Couldn't be more excited.

The bumpers were in excellent shape, so I picked them up too. Got a few interior parts, definitely some things some folks could use. I'll post them in a for sale thread.
1 member likes this
Re: 87' G20 - Walter White - "The White Rhino" #788609 Feb 21st a 04:28 AM
by Lionhead
Lionhead
That van has remote mirrors. People looking for those. Not me
1 member likes this
Re: 87' G20 - Walter White - "The White Rhino" #794364 Aug 16th a 10:18 PM
by DrCaldre
DrCaldre
Ladies and gentlemen, the front suspension is done!

The shaft kit I bought for the lowers was the last one on Rock Auto, made by FVP. I had to use washers on top of 2 of the u-bolts, since the replacement shafts were a smaller diameter and I ran out of threads.

I had a shop push and pull the control arm bushings. They said it was not easy.

Here are some before and after photos, and one of the whole setup with the Addco sway bar.

Now that it's back on the ground, I can log some OBD1 data with my ALDL cable and send it off to TBI chips to get a better fuel map burned.
1 member likes this
Re: 87' G20 - Walter White - "The White Rhino" #796734 Oct 5th a 02:19 PM
by DrCaldre
DrCaldre
Off to paint and body today! Can you edit thread titles? Ya'll gotta help me name it once it's painted.
1 member likes this
Re: 87' G20 - Walter White - "The White Rhino" #796770 Oct 6th a 12:51 AM
by frscke1
frscke1
The best things in life take time ... even a marriage lol
1 member likes this
Re: 87' G20 - Walter White - "The White Rhino" #801063 Jan 31st a 10:13 PM
by DrCaldre
DrCaldre
No issues to speak of since replacing all the suspension. The rebound is pretty quick since every dampener on there is new, but that was expected. Filled up with firewood the other week, she rode like a dream.

I still get surprised for how well it handles curves at speed for such a big, top heavy truck. It was worth all those hours.
1 member likes this
Re: 87' G20 - Walter White - "The White Rhino" #804242 Jun 9th a 12:09 AM
by DrCaldre
DrCaldre
Well, the guy painting the spare tire cover Catfish gave me sure isn't in a hurry.

Anyways, I'm in the process of installing insulation. I'll also pull the seats Sunday and put in my red ACC carpet for the front. I'll post pics when I get it in. Hopefully it's not to difficult to get it to sit right with a heat gun.

I can't wait to get a floor and walls in this beast! Been a long time coming.
1 member likes this
Re: 87' G20 - Walter White - "The White Rhino" #804546 Jun 21st a 12:13 AM
by DrCaldre
DrCaldre
Spare tire cover finally got painted!

Thanks so much catfish. Really ties the rear end together. Kinda like that rug in that movie about bowling.

1 member likes this
Re: 87' G20 - Walter White - "The White Rhino" #805121 Jul 18th a 01:20 AM
by DrCaldre
DrCaldre
Originally Posted by CatFish
Looks really good! What's the airbrush gonna be?

Just now saw your reply. I think me and the ol' lady need to do some brainstorming. Need to think of something Americana that has the color purple in it!

We played hookey and put the floor in today. Paid for birch. $90 a sheet for 3/4. Took a case of construction adhesive, same as the foam board under it. Floor is solid as a rock. Think I'm going to coat it in this spar urethane here I used for my deck. The wood grain looks nice. At $90 a sheet I don't know if I can bring myself to cover it.

I did sand that joint, light was fading and I was trying to get a photo. Next I gotta figure out some kind of trim for the edges.

1 member likes this
Re: 87' G20 - Walter White - "The White Rhino" #805795 Aug 22nd a 01:30 AM
by DrCaldre
DrCaldre
Got a nice photo here of my floor with the spar urethane laid down. Also here's a before and after on painting my stock rallys and putting on new center caps. Cleaned up nice!

1 member likes this
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 17 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TheDrunkenGunsmith, Jac, LOVclassics, ZenMuffin, Milkman530